Who's Special #4 (Questions now posted!!!)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: Who's Special #4 (Questions now posted!!!)

Post by Bamaman »

Saturday morning bump. Remember, if you did not submit a specialty, you can still play as a free agent.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

If I were on a first-name basis with Gilbert & Sullivan, I'd call them Johnny and Anne.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
LeFlaneur
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by LeFlaneur »

bpmod wrote:If I were on a first-name basis with Gilbert & Sullivan, I'd call them Johnny and Anne.

Brian
Read it once. Read it twice. Then I got it . LOL Thanks for the levity.
Le Flaneur
gloriaclemente
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gloriaclemente »

1. This breed was launched in the U.S. inwith the gift of dogs from the Dalai Lama to an American traveler.
Just wondering, had you intended to include a year here?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Yeah, shouldn't have picked college football -- 1 right, 4 wrong. Not that I did much better in any of the other categories.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

gloriaclemente wrote:
1. This breed was launched in the U.S. inwith the gift of dogs from the Dalai Lama to an American traveler.
Just wondering, had you intended to include a year here?
Yes, it was 1933.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Sunday night bump. I have entries from 18 people, still 15 entries outstanding. I'm extending the deadline until Wednesday at 2:00 CST.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Wednesday morning bump. so far, I have answers from 25 of the 34 who submitted specialties. I am going to start the reveal around 2:00 CST today, so let's get those entries in!!
whoisalexjacob
2015 TOC'er

Post by whoisalexjacob »

If someone who picked the "name's the same" category wins this contest, my hat's off to you, you have my respect. :)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

About an hour to go and still five entries outstanding. If you signed up but haven't entered and want a little more time, let me know and I'll hold off, otherwise I'll start the reveal at 2:00 CST.
cbec
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by cbec »

Sent, finally! (it's been a crazy week)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

1. This 1980s pop star was so tired of being confused with this rock icon he went into the hospital.

Rick Springfield and Bruce Springsteen

A number of people gave me names of singers with names that were close, but not the ones I was going for. The hospital TOM referred to Springfield's role on the soap opera General Hospital. Springfield even recorded a song about having a name close to Springsteen's.

http://youtu.be/EW1Frr4OcRc

Correct (6): Paucle (3), Peggles, Gama wire (4), Turd Ferguson (4), xxaaaxx (2), omgwheelhouse (3)

Incorrect (7): mitchparov (clam, 1), Vanya (Elvis Presley and Elvis Costello), Mark Barrett (Dr. Hook and Dr. John,2), gloriaclemente (Pressley and Costello), debramc (Pressley and Costello), Lefty (Rick and Dusty Springfield), bomtr (Ryand Adams and Briaqn Adams)

Clam (18): Magna, plasticene, code happy, billy pilgrim, Woof, immaf, dhkendall, econgator, spell4yr, RackMe32, LaFlaneur, boson, amorris525, mam418,, andreaborn, dmleach, jeff6286, cbec

2. George Clooney appeared on these medical shows.

E/R and ER

The players did pretty well on this one. I doubt many people would even know the 1980s sitcom had the producers of the long running drama not used the same title minus the slash. Not everyone was perfect with the punctuation, but as long as you had the letters e and r twice, you got credit.

Correct (18): code happy, immaf, Peggles, Mark Barrett (5), econgator, spell4yr, RackMe32, mam418, plasticene, Paucle (5), gamma wire (3), andreaborn, dmleach, debramc, xxaaaxx (5), jeff6286, bomtr

Incorrect (6): mitchparov (clam, 2), Vanya (ER, Emergency Room), boson (ER and General Hospital), gloriaclemente (ER and General Hospital), omgwheelhoue (er and or, 4), cbec (ER and Emergency), Turd Ferguson (ER, Emergency Room, 3)
Clam (7): Magna, billy pilgrim, Woof, dhkendall, LaFlaneur, amorris525, Lefty

3. I wonder if Bob Newhart hired this guy to play his neighbor because he thought he was related to his boss at the network.

Bill Daily and William Paley

Bill Dailey played Dr. Robert Hartley's dim witted neighbor, Howard Borden. William Paley was a longtime CEO of CBS, which carried Newhart's show. Apparently Paley isn't too well known around here.

Correct (3): plasticene, code happy, Mark Barrett (3)

Incorrect (8): Magna (Bill Daly and Bill Dailey), Paucle (Bill Daily and Bill Daley, 4), billy pilgrim (William Dailey and Willaim Daly) mitchparov (clam 3) Gama wire (clam, 1), TurdFerguson (William Sanderson and Bill Sanderson, 2), xxaaaxx (clam, 1), omgwheelhouse (clam, 2)

Clam (20): Woof, immaf, Vanya, Peggles, dhkendall, econgator, spell4yr, RackMe32, LaFalneur, boson, gloriaclemente, amorris525, mam418, andreaborn, dmleach, debramc, jeff6286, Lefty, bomtr, cbec

4. Perhaps during a break in filming at the 12th precinct, this actor read The Late, Great, plant Earth, by this man.

Hal Linden and Hal Lindsey

Linden played the title role on the 1970s sitcom, Barney Miller. Everone seemed to know him, but had trouble coming up with the author. However, one entrant gave me a chuckle when they said they were bothered by the fact they got Lindsey right away but had to ponder over "That guy on Barney Miller" for a minute. The book was advertied on tV heavily back in the 1970s and I actually thought it was written by the TV star. I knew nothing about the book until I researched it for this question. Let's just say Lindsey is a rather odd duck.

Correct (5): code happy, Woof, Peggles, Gama wire (2), xxaaaxx (3)

Incorrect (7): Magna (Hal Lindsey and Hal Lindsay), Paucle (Hal Linden and ???, 1) mitchparov (clam 4), Mark Barrett (Hal Linden and No clue, 1), Turd Ferguson (Hal Linden and Hal London. 1), omgwheelhouse (clam, 1), Lefty (H.G. and Orson Wells)

Clam (19): plasticene, billy pilgrim, immaf, Vanya, dhkendall, econgator, spell4yr, RackMe32, Laflaneur, boson, gloriaclemente, amorris525, mam418, andreaborn, dmleach, debramc, jeff6286, bomtr, cbec

5. It was a lot easier to keep these countries straight when one was called Zaire.

Democratic Republic of the Congo and Republic of the Congo

This was the closest we came to a perfect score in the game. nobody got it wrong and only one clam. Some people called the Republic of the Congo just Congo, but that was accepted.

Correct: Magna, plasticene, Paucle (2), code happy, Woof, immaf, Vanya, Peggles, Gama wire(5), dhkendall, Mark Barrett (4), econgator, spell4yr, LaFlaneur, boson, billy pilgrim, mitchparov (5), mam418, gloriaclemente, amorris525, andreaborn, dmleach, debramc, TurdFerguson (5), xxaaaxx (4), jeff6286, omgwheelhouse (5), Lefty, bomtr, cbec

Incorrect:
Clam: RackMe32

barandal8000 and thejeopardyfan both declared this category as their specialty, but did not submit and entry. Therefore, they will receive a score of -15 for this question.

Scores for this question
gamawire 13
xxaaaxx 13
MarkBarrett 9
codehappy 8
Peggles 8
Plasticene 6
Paucle 5
Woof 4
Immaff 4
econgator 4
spell4yr 4
Mam418 4
Andreaborn 4
dmleach 4
jeff6286 4
Turd Ferguson 3
debramc 3
bomtr 3
dhkendall 2
RackMe32 2
LeFlaneur 2
Amorris525 2
Billy pilgrim 1
Boson 1
omgwheelhouse 1
cbec 1
Magna 0
Vanya 0
Gloriaclemente 0
Lefty 0
mitchparov -5
barandall8000 -15
thejeopardyfan -15
Last edited by Bamaman on Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Bamaman wrote:.... I doubt many people would even know the 1980s sitcom had the producers of the long running drama not used the same title minus the slash.
Oh ye of little faith... The comedy is the only one of the two I've seen, too.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Please inform me of asny scoring errors you may see or if I misentered your answer.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Volante wrote:
Bamaman wrote:.... I doubt many people would even know the 1980s sitcom had the producers of the long running drama not used the same title minus the slash.
Oh ye of little faith... The comedy is the only one of the two I've seen, too.
I can't remember if I ever saw the sitcom, but I only watched one episode of the drama.

The sitcom had a remarkable cast. It starred Elliot Gould and also featured Jason Alexander and Conchota Ferrel (Berta on 2 1/2 Men).
gamawire
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by gamawire »

Bamaman wrote: Scores for this question
gamawire 13
xxaaaxx 13
Hurray! I'm in the lead! It'll be the only time, so I thought I'd mention it now! :D
"It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing." -- Seneca
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

And as an earlier entrant, you win the tiebreaker!!!
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

Ryan Adams really was sick of being confused with Brian Adams; had no idea if any hospital was involved. And so maybe Brian Adams really isn't an icon. And at least Ryan Adams really is a musician, as opposed to, say, Rick Springfield. But, sigh, pop star certainly fits Springfield better.
Turd Ferguson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Turd Ferguson »

Bamaman wrote:2. George Clooney appeared on these medical shows.
Correct (18): code happy, immaf, Peggles, Mark Barrett (5), econgator, spell4yr, RackMe32, mam418, plasticene, Paucle (5), gamma wire (3), andreaborn, dmleach, debramc, Turd Ferguson (3), xxaaaxx (5), jeff6286, bomtr

Incorrect (6): mitchparov (clam, 2), Vanya (ER, Emergency Room), boson (ER and General Hospital), gloriaclemente (ER and General Hospital), omgwheelhoue (er and or, 4), cbec (ER and Emergency)
I guessed E.R. and "Emergency Room" (knew of the show, couldn't remember the exact title, actually would have guessed that the titles were identical), as Vanya did, so I guess I need to be marked wrong.
3. I wonder if Bob Newhart hired this guy to play his neighbor because he thought he was related to his boss at the network.

TurdFerguson (William Sanderson and Bill Sanderson, 2)
Oops, wrong Bob Newhart show...
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

Bamaman wrote:Please inform me of asny scoring errors you may see or if I misentered your answer.
Unfortunately, I misentered one of my own answers! Accidentally sent in two spellings of the author's name instead of the actor's.