Who's Special #4 (Questions now posted!!!)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

mitchparov
Worst Buzzer Player Ever

Re: Who's Special #4 (Questions now posted!!!)

Post by mitchparov »

Yes! Finally out of the hole! (Man, did I ever choose the wrong category...)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

In keeping with the spirit of DOT's philosophy of the SHC in "I want to give you points", I am crediting porridge and stew as alternate answers for the potage question.

I got this question (and several others) from the archive. Here is a link to the game this question came from.

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?g ... ght=potage

The kimchi question also came from the archive. The original question from the game began with "Hawkeye Pierce could tell you.....", but I cut that part out as too big of a hint.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

College football

1. Players called him Coach Bryant, fans called him Bear, but this was the real first name of this legendary Alabama coach.

The man's given name was Paul William Bryant. One player said they even precalled this question!

Correct (20): Magna, Paucle, codehappy, billy pilgrim, Woof, Vanya, Peggles, gamawire, MarkBarrett, econgator (5), spell4yr (5), RackMe32 (5), LaFlaneur (4), amorris525 (4), andreaborn, dmleach, jeff6286 (5), omgwheelhouse, Lefty, bomtr

Incorrect (0):

Clam (11): plasticene, mitchparov, immaf, dhkendall, boson, gloriaclemente, mam418, debramc, Turd Ferguson, xxaaaxx, cbec

2. In 1935, Jay Berwanger of this then football power won the first Heisman Trophy.

Berwanger played for the University of Chicago. They dropped the sport in 1939. They have since revived the sport, but play on the Division III (non-scholarship) level. Berwanger was also the first player ever picked in the NFL draft.

Correct (6): Paucle, Woof, gamawire, RackMe32 (3), LaFlaneur (5), jeff6286 (3)

Incorrect (8): econgator (4) (Army), spell4yr(1) (Yale), boson (Yale), amorris525 (2) (Yale), dmleach (Notre Dame), omgwheelhouse (Harvard), Lefty (Yale), cbec (Rutgers)

Clam (17): Magna, plasticene, codehappy, billy pilgrim, mitchparov, immaf, Vanya, Peggles, dhkendall, MarkBarrett, gloriaclemente, mam418, andreaborn, debramc, Turd Ferguson, xxaaaxx, bomtr

3. It was the final score of the game between Georgia Tech and Cumberland played October 7, 1916.

The final score of the game, won by Georgia Tech was 222-0, the highest scoring game in football history. Tech was coached by John Heisman, for whom the trophy was named.

Correct (9): Paucle, dhkendall, spell4yr (3), RackMe32 (4), Laflaneur (3), xxaaaxx, jeff6286 (2), Lefty, bomtr

Incorrect (5): plasticene (196-0), econgator (3) (161-0), gloriaclemente (0-0), amorris525 (2-0) (3), dmleach (2-0)

Clam (17): Magna, codehappy, billy pilgrim, Woof, mitchparov, immaf, Vanya, Peggles, gamawire, MarkBarrett, boson, mam418, andreaborn, debramc, Turd Ferguson, omgwheelhouse, cbec

4. This football conference recently accepted new members from Texas, Idaho and California. Think they should change their name?

The Big East. In the last few weeks, SMU, Houston, Boise State and San Diego State have all joined this geographically challenged league.

Correct (16): plasticene, Paucle, codehappy, Woof, Vanya, Peggles, MarkBarrett, spell4yr (4), RackMe32 (2), Laflaneur (2), boson, amorris525 (5), xxaaaxx, jeff6286 (4), omgwheelhouse, bomtr

Incorrect (7): billy pilgrim (Pac 10), gamawire (SEC), dhkendall (Pac 10), econgator (2), (clam), dmleach (ACC), Turd Ferguson (Pac 10), Lefty (Pac 10)

Clam (8): Magna, mitchparov, immaf, gloriaclemente, mam418, andreaborn, debramc, cbec

5. With nearly 500 wins through the end of the 2011 season, this man has more wins than any other coach in all of college football.

The toughest question on the board, as nobody got it right. I tried to word it to indicate it was an active coach and that he was not a major college coach, but a few still took the Paterno negbait. One person did know it was a Division II coach, but could not pull out his name. It is John Gagliardi, who has a record of 484-133-11 in 53 years as a head coach, all but four at St. John's University in Minnesota.

Correct (0):

Incorrect (17): billy pilgrim (Joe Paterno), Woof (Paterno), Peggles (John Wooden), dhkendall (Paterno), econgator (1) (clam), spell4yr(2) (Eddie Robinson), RackMe32 (1) (clam), Laflaneur (1) (Smith), gloriaclemente (Paterno), amorris525 (1) (Paterno), andreaborn (Paterno), dmleach (Paterno), debramc (Paterno), jeff6286 (1) (Robinson), Lefty (Paterno), bomtr (Paterno)

Clam (14): Magna, plasticene, Paucle, codehappy, mitchparov, immaf, Vanya, gamawire, MarkBarrett, boson, mam418, Turd Ferguson, xxaaaxx, cbec
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

College football

1. Players called him Coach Bryant, fans called him Bear, but this was the real first name of this legendary Alabama coach.

The man's given name was Paul William Bryant. One player said they even precalled this question!

Correct (20): Magna, Paucle, codehappy, billy pilgrim, Woof, Vanya, Peggles, gamawire, MarkBarrett, econgator (5), spell4yr (5), RackMe32 (5), LaFlaneur (4), amorris525 (4), andreaborn, dmleach, jeff6286 (5), omgwheelhouse, Lefty, bomtr

Incorrect (0):

Clam (11): plasticene, mitchparov, immaf, dhkendall, boson, gloriaclemente, mam418, debramc, Turd Ferguson, xxaaaxx, cbec

2. In 1935, Jay Berwanger of this then football power won the first Heisman Trophy.

Berwanger played for the University of Chicago. They dropped the sport in 1939. They have since revived the sport, but play on the Division III (non-scholarship) level. Berwanger was also the first player ever picked in the NFL draft.

Correct (6): Paucle, Woof, gamawire, RackMe32 (3), LaFlaneur (5), jeff6286 (3)

Incorrect (8): econgator (4) (Army), spell4yr(1) (Yale), boson (Yale), amorris525 (2) (Yale), dmleach (Notre Dame), omgwheelhouse (Harvard), Lefty (Yale), cbec (Rutgers)

Clam (17): Magna, plasticene, codehappy, billy pilgrim, mitchparov, immaf, Vanya, Peggles, dhkendall, MarkBarrett, gloriaclemente, mam418, andreaborn, debramc, Turd Ferguson, xxaaaxx, bomtr

3. It was the final score of the game between Georgia Tech and Cumberland played October 7, 1916.

The final score of the game, won by Georgia Tech was 222-0, the highest scoring game in football history. Tech was coached by John Heisman, for whom the trophy was named.

Correct (9): Paucle, dhkendall, spell4yr (3), RackMe32 (4), Laflaneur (3), xxaaaxx, jeff6286 (2), Lefty, bomtr

Incorrect (5): plasticene (196-0), econgator (3) (161-0), gloriaclemente (0-0), amorris525 (2-0) (3), dmleach (2-0)

Clam (17): Magna, codehappy, billy pilgrim, Woof, mitchparov, immaf, Vanya, Peggles, gamawire, MarkBarrett, boson, mam418, andreaborn, debramc, Turd Ferguson, omgwheelhouse, cbec

4. This football conference recently accepted new members from Texas, Idaho and California. Think they should change their name?

The Big East. In the last few weeks, SMU, Houston, Boise State and San Diego State have all joined this geographically challenged league.

Correct (16): plasticene, Paucle, codehappy, Woof, Vanya, Peggles, MarkBarrett, spell4yr (4), RackMe32 (2), Laflaneur (2), boson, amorris525 (5), xxaaaxx, jeff6286 (4), omgwheelhouse, bomtr

Incorrect (7): billy pilgrim (Pac 10), gamawire (SEC), dhkendall (Pac 10), econgator (2), (clam), dmleach (ACC), Turd Ferguson (Pac 10), Lefty (Pac 10)

Clam (8): Magna, mitchparov, immaf, gloriaclemente, mam418, andreaborn, debramc, cbec

5. With nearly 500 wins through the end of the 2011 season, this man has more wins than any other coach in all of college football.

The toughest question on the board, as nobody got it right. I tried to word it to indicate it was an active coach and that he was not a major college coach, but a few still took the Paterno negbait. One person did know it was a Division II coach, but could not pull out his name. It is John Gagliardi, who has a record of 484-133-11 in 53 years as a head coach, all but four at St. John's University in Minnesota.

Correct (0):

Incorrect (17): billy pilgrim (Joe Paterno), Woof (Paterno), Peggles (John Wooden), dhkendall (Paterno), econgator (1) (clam), spell4yr(2) (Eddie Robinson), RackMe32 (1) (clam), Laflaneur (1) (Smith), gloriaclemente (Paterno), amorris525 (1) (Paterno), andreaborn (Paterno), dmleach (Paterno), debramc (Paterno), jeff6286 (1) (Robinson), Lefty (Paterno), bomtr (Paterno)

Clam (14): Magna, plasticene, Paucle, codehappy, mitchparov, immaf, Vanya, gamawire, MarkBarrett, boson, mam418, Turd Ferguson, xxaaaxx, cbec

Scores for this question
RackMe32 13
LaFlaneur 13
jeff6286 13
spell4yr 9
Paucle 8
Woof 5
bomtr 5
codehappy 4
Vanya 4
MarkBarrett 4
xxaaaxx 4
Peggles 3
gamawire 3
omgwheelhouse 3
Magna 2
amorris525 2
plasticene 1
boson 1
andreaborn 1
Lefty 1
billy pilgrim 0
mitchparov 0
immaf 0
dhkendall 0
mam418 0
debramc -1
Turd Ferguson -1
cbec -1
gloriaclemente -2
dmleach -2
econgator -5
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

This seemed to be the toughest category for the players. I probably made some of them too obscure, especially the winningest coach question. I admit I had to look up his name when writing the question.

Paterno had the most wins of any major college coach, with 409 wins when he was fired during last season. Eddie Robinson had 408 wins during his 57 years at Grambling.

John Wooden won 664 games, but he was a basketball coach.
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

Now that's neg bait!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Scores through five categories
1. codehappy 8+8+15+10+4=45
2. Paucle 5+10+10+10+8=43
3. Peggles 8+15+10+7+3=43
4. bomtr 3+8+10+15+5=41
5. MarkBarrett 8+9+10+8+4=39
6. xxaaaxx 13+10+8+4+4=39
7. Woof 4+6+7+15+5=37
8. gamawire 13+1+10+10+3=37
9. Mam418 4+15+10+8+0=37
10. plasticene 6+7+7+15+1=36
11. andreaborn 4+6+10+15+1=36
12. debramc 3+10+8+15-1=35
13. Vanya 0+4+15+10+4=33
14. jeff6286 4+6+4+4+13=31
15. omgwheelhouse 1+10+10+7+3=31
16. billy pilgrim 1+7+7+15+0=30
17. LaFlaneur 4+2+4+7+13=30
18. boson 1+7+5+15+1=29
19. cbec 1+13+4+10-1=27
20. gloriaclemente 0+15+1+10-2=24
21. Lefty 0+6+10+7+1=24
22. spell4yr 4+2+1+6+9=22
23. RackMe32 2+6+1+0+13=22
24. dhkendall 2+3+9+3+0=21
25. Magna 0+4+4+10+2=20
26.econgator 4+4+4+10-5=17
27. Turd Ferguson 3+4+4+6-1=16
28. immaf 4+0+2+10+0=12
29. mitchparov-5+4+0+10+0=9
30. dmleach 4+1-2+7-2=8
31. amorris525 2+4-2+1+2=7
32. barandall8000 -15
33. cheezguyty -15
34. thejeopadyfan -15
billy pilgrim
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by billy pilgrim »

I've played a lot of these games. This is the first time I've seen a question that had zero correct answers.
She caught the Katy and left me a mule to ride.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Gagliardi! I guess I'm happy that I do recognize it now that I see it.
I kept thinking "John Calipari... that ain't it, but it's something like that, sounds like it, so maybe it's... John Calipari, NO Not Calipari!Maybe it ain't John? Hmmm... no, it's John someone, John John... oh! Calipari! ACK!! GET OFF JOHN CALIPARI ALREADY!!" Finally I just gave up.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Wow. That is some serious neg-bait. My internal monologue went something like this: "Paterno? Too simple, but I recall that he'd passed Eddie Robinson for lead just before he was fired. Who else could it be, then?" I completely forget to consider Div II (and III) football...
mam418
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by mam418 »

Phew... I really didn't think I'd still be in the top ten after that question.... holy clammage, batman. I love NFL football, but apparently don't pay nearly enough attention to college football. Ah, well. zero points is better than nothing... :ugeek: :lol:
codehappy
Contributor

Post by codehappy »

Dang! I feel a little better about my performance in that football category... it wasn't just me, those were hard!
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

billy pilgrim wrote:I've played a lot of these games. This is the first time I've seen a question that had zero correct answers.
The power of the clam!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

mam418 wrote:Phew... I really didn't think I'd still be in the top ten after that question.... holy clammage, batman. I love NFL football, but apparently don't pay nearly enough attention to college football. Ah, well. zero points is better than nothing... :ugeek: :lol:
No kidding. That was my "specialty" and I missed 4 of the 5. :oops:

I've heard of Gagliardi and would have got him if it were multiple choice, but there's no way I was coming up with it on my own.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Bamaman wrote:5. With nearly 500 wins through the end of the 2011 season, this man has more wins than any other coach in all of college football.

The toughest question on the board, as nobody got it right. I tried to word it to indicate it was an active coach and that he was not a major college coach, but a few still took the Paterno negbait.
I still don't see how Paterno is discounted. True, he isn't active any more (in anything), but he did coach during the 2011 season, and had a hella lot of wins. (And, that's all I knew about him, and that's only after the scandal elevated him to levels that put him on my radar, hadn't heard of him at the start of last year)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

dhkendall wrote:
Bamaman wrote:5. With nearly 500 wins through the end of the 2011 season, this man has more wins than any other coach in all of college football.

The toughest question on the board, as nobody got it right. I tried to word it to indicate it was an active coach and that he was not a major college coach, but a few still took the Paterno negbait.
I still don't see how Paterno is discounted. True, he isn't active any more (in anything), but he did coach during the 2011 season, and had a hella lot of wins. (And, that's all I knew about him, and that's only after the scandal elevated him to levels that put him on my radar, hadn't heard of him at the start of last year)
How on earth did you get the 222-0 question right? That was the biggest shock of the game.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

dhkendall wrote:

409 < 484. Can't be ruled out any cleaner than that.

The evil part is that you have to go outside what is considered the traditional arena (Division I)

To put it in baseball terms...
"This man has more home runs than any other player worldwide."
Barry Bonds would be massive negbait, because while he holds the MLB record of 762, Sadaharu Oh of Japan's baseball league has 868.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Bamaman wrote:
dhkendall wrote:

How on earth did you get the 222-0 question right? That was the biggest shock of the game.
Not a sports fan, but I am a fan of trivia. That's an interesting piece of trivia I have stored in my brain. (To be honest, I didn't remember all the details, but I do remember it was a long time ago (when football was a slighlty different game) and the victorious team was from Georgia. The fact that it was asked about in the game made me think it was probably the game I knew about.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

I shall now sink into mediocrity. This next category is NOT a good one for me, and I knew when I saw it my score would not be among the leaders. Not to insult the fans, but operetta always seemed more clever than substantial to me, and I have as yet not learned much about it. Fun anyway.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

bomtr wrote:I shall now sink into mediocrity. This next category is NOT a good one for me, and I knew when I saw it my score would not be among the leaders. Not to insult the fans, but operetta always seemed more clever than substantial to me, and I have as yet not learned much about it. Fun anyway.
I'm looking for this next category (my specialty) to vault me from near the bottom to middle-of-the-pack.