Monday, February 20, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: Monday, February 20, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by seaborgium »

I just decided that since I could picture more Monets with plant matter than works by any other artist, Monet would be my response. (I realized that Cézanne's fruits were plant matter, but they were too far removed from the plant for me to be swayed.)
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

DBear wrote:Cursing when FJ came up. No chance, went with Toulouse-Lautrec.
On the plus side, he was closer to the ground than Monet.
Onairb
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Onairb »

trainman wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:San Francisco is considered Northern California?
Note the TV stations included here...

TPH, yes, 'Northern California' is synonymous with 'Bay Area' for most people who live here.
Trainman, if you're a TV Guide collector, you'll know that in the early days, the 'Northern California' edition included just about all of the markets/stations seen on that list. Would you happen to know, roughly, what year they launced the San Francisco Metro' edition...which included Sacramento and Monterey listings, but not the 'North Coast' ones?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Onairb wrote:TPH, yes, 'Northern California' is synonymous with 'Bay Area' for most people who live here.
And to further prove it -- as if it needed it ;) -- when you fly out of SF, you contact NorCal Departure.
Wimple
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by Wimple »

Heh, I was just watching a miniseries last week entitled "The Impressionists" about, well, you know...
Sage on the Hudson

What I needed for this clue was unfeathered access to IMDb

Post by Sage on the Hudson »

jeff6286 wrote:It's been so long since I've seen Forrest Gump, that I didn't even remember the feather that is significant in the opening and closing scenes of the film, (just learned that from Wikipedia) so I was totally lost as to why the theme was called "Feather". I was guessing that it was either Saving Private Ryan or Forrest Gump, as two of Hanks' most famous movies, but I picked the wrong one.
The only film I could think of that featured a feather prominently is DUMBO, but I was sure that Hanks never played opposite an elephant that was animated more than fiften years before he was born.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

bpmod wrote:
sherder wrote:Kathryn has been on WWTBAM and Weakest Link. I was just glad that our local station didn't put this story on their site until after today's game: Brainy Burnsville HS teacher debuts on Jeopardy!
I also think that there be spoilers there. They are talking about Wednesday's game in the past tense.

Brian
It's known she'll be in the semis to those who follow the wild card scores, since at least two wild cards are known by the end of the fourth QF game, and hers is the highest of the week so far. Not much of a spoiler unless they say whether she wins her SF game or not.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

legendneverdies wrote:
bpmod wrote:
sherder wrote:Kathryn has been on WWTBAM and Weakest Link. I was just glad that our local station didn't put this story on their site until after today's game: Brainy Burnsville HS teacher debuts on Jeopardy!
I also think that there be spoilers there. They are talking about Wednesday's game in the past tense.

Brian
It's known she'll be in the semis to those who follow the wild card scores, since at least two wild cards are known by the end of the fourth QF game, and hers is the highest of the week so far. Not much of a spoiler unless they say whether she wins her SF game or not.
Well, they seem to inply that
Spoiler
she loses
on Wednesday.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

Wasn't the most relevant bit in the San Francisco clue the date? There was probably only one place that could be called a city in California, north or south, in 1859, no?
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

goforthetie wrote:Wasn't the most relevant bit in the San Francisco clue the date? There was probably only one place that could be called a city in California, north or south, in 1859, no?
Have you ever seen the Bushman near Fisherman's Wharf? San Francisco is indeed a "city of characters." At the $200 slot, OF COURSE San Fran is the correct answer, and not Stockton or Chico. I'm surprised this question has been so noteworthy, and surprised that so many people have not heard of Emperor Norton.

The rest of the game played pretty straightforward. The questions felt a little easier this time - perhaps the toughest was "gnomon" or "transmutation" - so I think this board was a little on the soft side. A bell-shaped sea invertebrate with tentacles and a male Biblical character who's gotta see Jesus to believe for $2000 point toward this.

Brad's daily double bet was correct given he didn't think he knew the category well, and he apparently didn't.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Austin Powers wrote: Have you ever seen the Bushman near Fisherman's Wharf? San Francisco is indeed a "city of characters." At the $200 slot, OF COURSE San Fran is the correct answer, and not Stockton or Chico. I'm surprised this question has been so noteworthy, and surprised that so many people have not heard of Emperor Norton.
If you're surprised, then you must not have noticed which poster made the initial observation about that clue, wondering how San Francisco could be considered a part of Northern California. As is often the case, the entire discussion essentially proceeded from there.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

How to tell if someone is not from San Francisco: they call it San Fran, or Frisco.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

Vanya wrote:How to tell if someone is not from San Francisco: they call it San Fran, or Frisco.
(shrug)
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

davey wrote:
jeff6286 wrote: Even after visiting Wikipedia, I'm still not entirely sure about the $1,000 clue, so I'm going to post it here so someone smart can explain to us. "In giving his compositions these numbers, Erik Satie started with 62 instead of 1" Alex so butchered his explanation of the answer, that I'm not even sure what the intended response was. Was it opus numbers? There is not even a mention of the word opus on Wiki, but other google search results would seem to indicate that this is indeed the case. Alex for some reason felt compelled to explain to us that Satie was a composer, you know, in case we didn't pick up on the word "compositions" in the clue, so his explanation just left me more confused.
I think Alex was surprised it was a triple stumper, since yes, numbers given to musical compositions are usually called opus numbers, the correct response. So I guess he assumed they didn't recognize Satie, even though that wasn't essential to getting it right, as long as you thought of musical compositions...
This was a confusing clue for me. I know who Satie was, but couldn't figure out what on earth they were asking for. Besides "opus" there are a number of different arguably correct terms for those numbers (including generic descriptive terms like "identifying"). When that's the case, usually there's an extra hint to point to the intended response (e.g., a mention of Mr. Holland or the Bloom County penguin, or "a four-letter term").
Miss Mellie
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Miss Mellie »

davey wrote:
Miss Mellie wrote: I still don't understand the Satie clue. Gymnopedies...Nocturnes...Gnossiennes...I would have guessed any of these before "opus" (no offense, opusthepenguin).
But I believe there are only 3 Gymnopedies, and they ARE known as numbers 1, 2, & 3, violating the premise of the question. I was momentarily confused by the wording, but after a second I realized they were seeking the general term, not something specific to Satie...
Thanks, davey, but I'm sorry; I still don't understand. Satie didn't call his works opuses (opi?) so, as Magna states, it seems like there could have been a number of acceptable responses?
'jeff6286 wrote:If you're surprised, then you must not have noticed which poster made the initial observation about that clue, wondering how San Francisco could be considered a part of Northern California. As is often the case, the entire discussion essentially proceeded from there.
Whose fault is that, then? If they think he's a troll, why do they take his bait?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Miss Mellie wrote:Whose fault is that, then? If they think he's a troll, why do they take his bait?
GOK.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

seaborgium wrote:I just decided that since I could picture more Monets with plant matter than works by any other artist, Monet would be my response. (I realized that Cézanne's fruits were plant matter, but they were too far removed from the plant for me to be swayed.)
That's what led me to guess Monet - all those water lilies, mainly. I didn't know he had a famous garden.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Miss Mellie wrote:opuses (opi?)
Opera (but I wouldn't object to "opuses").
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

What else could people have gone from Northern California city?

I can only think of SF, Sacramento, and Benicia(doubt that). When I hear NorCal , I think Bay and north of it.
thejeopardyfan
(Unranked)

Post by thejeopardyfan »

alietr wrote: GOK.
What does that mean?