Tuesday, February 21, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Miss Mellie
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Tuesday, February 21, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Miss Mellie »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Also, I think my favorite German word is "fahrvergnügen".
My first car was a Volkswagen Jetta which I almost named Otto the Auto!
thejeopardyfan wrote:Does anyone remember a contestant wearing a polo shirt before? Isn't that almost as unusual as the woman wearing the hat? Maybe a little too cazh.
I fast forwarded through the shouting children but it looked like his group was wearing the same polo. Maybe it's their school uniform?

Afghanistan and Pakistan were a near instaget. The only thing holding me back was knowing that Afghanistan had so recently been the correct FJ response. Is it possible to know too much about the mechanics of the show?! I spent more time thinking about the unlikelihood of a pseudo-repeat FJ than I did about the actual geography in question.
thejeopardyfan
(Unranked)

Post by thejeopardyfan »

Miss Mellie wrote: I fast forwarded through the shouting children but it looked like his group was wearing the same polo. Maybe it's their school uniform?
I assume so. There was a big ol' logo on his shirt.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

debramc wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
bpmod wrote:But first, one question:

Are auto and Otto homophones?

Brian
I got the impression that she was pronouncing it the "authentic" German way (as one would expect from a German teacher), but I may be wrong. My sister's boyfriend lived in Germany most of his life (moved here just over 10 years ago), maybe I'll ask him how it's pronounced (although he still has a thick German accent).
Just chiming in to agree with TPH - Leslie pronounced Autobahn the German way. And to answer Brian's question in general, no, in German Auto and Otto are definitely not homophones.
At least you all seemed to have gotten my 'joke'. But I always get bugged by people who pronounce part of a word/sentence/paragraph with "the correct [in this case German] pronunciation", without caring to pronounce other parts of the same statement with the "correct pronunciation". It just seemed odd to me that she chose to pronounce Autobahn the way a German-speaker would, but not any other word.

I remember back when I worked at an Audi dealership as a teenager. I always pronounced it AH-dee, as did everybody there except the German-born Service Manager. A friend of mine would consistently correct me with "It's pronounced OW-dee". It may be pronounced that way to a German speaker, but that same speaker pronounces audio, auditorium, audible, audience, and all other words from the same root (from the Latin for 'to listen' (I learned that while working at said job)), with the OW sound.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

In Pian's spot, I'd bet $1,001 to assure myself second place in the game if I'm right on FJ. I would gamble on $12,801 being good enough for a wild card (which it was) and that $10,799 would be a safe fallback if I miss FJ (which it wasn't).
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Out of curiosity, how should we know that Hell poem at $400 is Dickinson? I'm used to Dickinson being in common meter and using rhymes so bad that I can't even classify them as slant rhyme.
Gloomy subject matter, untitled, 'her' and referencing an absurdly large catalog number.

Dickinson never titled her works so they're either referenced by a number or more often the first line. They're also short and there's tons of them. This is considered a long Dickinson poem: http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/I_cannot_ ... _%E2%80%94
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Exactly - the key was the year. I settled into the correct answer after ruling out some other borders set up by the "colonials" that had subsequent conflicts. Iraq-Iran and Iraq-Kuwait came into my brain first, but the year was wrong for that (the Kuwait invasion being in 1989 or so). Like econgator, I briefly though thought of India and Pakistan (and/or East Pakistan/Bangladesh), with a touch of Kashmir thrown in, but those issues all date back to the late 1940s. (OK, they date back a lot farther, but you get my point....)

So, I went with Afghanistan and Pakistan, and hoped for the best.
That was about my thought process.

Started with India Pakistan and held onto it a while before remembering "wait, they broke up in the 1940s." So I backed up, 2001, Iraq. Ok, Iraq Iran Iran Afghanistan... *time's up* AFGHANISTAN PAKISTAN! FRACK!

As a side note, Crimean War, I'm counting Ottoman Empire for Turkey.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Shadows (5), Foxy Brown (7), Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Volante wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote: Out of curiosity, how should we know that Hell poem at $400 is Dickinson? I'm used to Dickinson being in common meter and using rhymes so bad that I can't even classify them as slant rhyme.
Gloomy subject matter, untitled, 'her' and referencing an absurdly large catalog number.
Right after I typed that, I knew "oh yeah, duh, gloomy stuff with a female = Dickinson." Derp.

Her rhyming still sucks, though. I mean, Chill/tulle? Soul/all? That's almost bad as Alan Jackson using Ventura/finger in "Where I Come From".
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

TenPoundHammer wrote:That's almost bad as Alan Jackson using Ventura/finger in "Where I Come From".
You mean Ventura rhyming with finger?

That's worse than James Taylor's hand/there.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Her rhyming still sucks, though. I mean, Chill/tulle? Soul/all? .
Those are called half rhymes or slant rhymes.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Half_rhyme
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Magna wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Her rhyming still sucks, though. I mean, Chill/tulle? Soul/all? .
Those are called half rhymes or slant rhymes.
I know what they're called. I think that using them, especially as often as Dickinson did, is lazy.

Charles Wesley did that all the time, too. You can open up a Methodist hymnal and make a drinking game out of every time he uses claim/lamb, prove/love, Lord/word. (Okay, the latter two are sight rhymes, but still.)
bpmod wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:That's almost bad as Alan Jackson using Ventura/finger in "Where I Come From".
You mean Ventura rhyming with finger?

Thats worse than James Taylor's hand/there.
Alan also used ice/about in "Good Time".
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

I've seen someone try to rhyme words like "temperate" and "date," "dumb" and "tomb," "on" and "groan," and "field" and "held."
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Magna wrote:I've seen someone try to rhyme words like "temperate" and "date," "dumb" and "tomb," "on" and "groan," and "field" and "held."
It wasn't Amanda McKittrick-Ros or William McGonagall, was it?
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Do I need my hearing checked?

Post by OrangeSAM »

I swear (and so does Mrs OS) that there was an extra syllable thrown into "Kate Middleton". We both heard (and backed up to hear it again) something like "McMiddleton".
OCSam
bpmod
Rank

Re: Do I need my hearing checked?

Post by bpmod »

OrangeSAM wrote:I swear (and so does Mrs OS) that there was an extra syllable thrown into "Kate Middleton". We both heard (and backed up to hear it again) something like "McMiddleton".
I know that there was something in there, but upon playing and replaying, I couldn't figure out what it was. I thought maybe she was supplying a middle name that I had never heard.

Brian

Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Magna wrote:I've seen someone try to rhyme words like "temperate" and "date," "dumb" and "tomb," "on" and "groan," and "field" and "held."
Not them, no.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

Hard for me to believe Chuckles the Clown was a triple stumper. It's one of the most famous TV episodes of all time.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

There seemed to be an edit of some sort right after Justin responded with Sparta in the war category. Then he hits the DD with the very next clue. I wonder what was up with all that.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Magna wrote:Those are called half rhymes or slant rhymes.
I know what they're called. I think that using them, especially as often as Dickinson did, is lazy.
It's almost as if she thought the meaning was more important than the rhymes!
TenPoundHammer wrote:
lol.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonnet_18
BigDaddyJ
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Do I need my hearing checked?

Post by BigDaddyJ »

OrangeSAM wrote:I swear (and so does Mrs OS) that there was an extra syllable thrown into "Kate Middleton". We both heard (and backed up to hear it again) something like "McMiddleton".
I heard that too but thought perhaps she simply stuttered. "Mi...Middleton"
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Bamaman wrote:There seemed to be an edit of some sort right after Justin responded with Sparta in the war category. Then he hits the DD with the very next clue. I wonder what was up with all that.
He said "WHAT! IS! SPARTA!" and they asked for a re-take. :D
seaborgium wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Magna wrote:Those are called half rhymes or slant rhymes.
It's almost as if she thought the meaning was more important than the rhymes!
I can understand not rhyming at all. Rhyme, don't rhyme; but don't half-ass it.