Thursday, March 1, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, March 1, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for DJ! Round
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, March 1, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by jeff6286 »

Scientists
In 1711 Newton led the Royal Society in London & his greatest rival led the Academy of Sciences in this capital city.
Spoiler
What is Berlin? Andrew and Susannah both said Paris.
Patrick Morrison: $19,600+$10,000=$29,600...now a 3-day champion with $80,701
Andrew Knebel: $14,400-$6,000=$8,400
Susannah Rosenblatt: $14,400-$4,600=$9,800
Last edited by jeff6286 on Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

jeff6286 wrote:8-)

Hey, jeff, check your p-mail and also a note left for you at the end of the Who's special thread, need a BMS on a question.
amorris525
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by amorris525 »

And I thought my History of Math class I took last semester was going to be for nothing. That shows me.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Well, so much for my dream of 5/5. WAGed Copenhagen, not even close, wrong century for all applicable scientists, blablabla.

I defy anyone to explain those wagers. $1000 reward for the first person to make sense of them (in Monopoly money, of course). Hel, even Patrick overwagered and almost bailed out Susannah (which would've pissed me off).
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

xxaaaxx wrote:Well, so much for my dream of 5/5. WAGed Copenhagen, not even close, wrong century for all applicable scientists, blablabla.

I defy anyone to explain those wagers. $1000 bounty for the first person to make sense of them (in Monopoly money, of course).
Will I get $1000 in Monopoly money if I explain it as weed-based wagers? :)

Anyway, got final. 3 day champ in Patrick, albeit his J! Round performance had me worried. Considering the class that the ToC is right now, a 4th win is probably the guarantee, but it's still early.
Adam Seth Moss
DoorDasher (since May 7, 2020)
M.A. History, Western Illinois Univ, 2017
B.A. History (minors in PoliSci & PubAdm), Montclair State Univ, 2015
A.A. History & Education, Middlesex County Coll., 2013
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

xxaaaxx wrote:I defy anyone to explain those wagers. $1000 reward for the first person to make sense of them (in Monopoly money, of course). Hel, even Patrick overwagered and almost bailed out Susannah (which would've pissed me off).
They all ... well ... sucked. When I saw the tie, I thought to myself, "At least one of them will bet wrong." None of the wagers made the slightest bit of sense.

Managed to get FJ on an educated guess. Thought about Paris initially, but it just didn't feel right.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

This was a great game, but the boards were ridiculously easy. I thought that it was a very well-written board, but too easy.

I got FJ. The light bulb came on about 5 seconds in. I really liked the clue.

Patrick was a beast on the buzzer in this game, I felt kind of bad for his two opponents. In the end it didn't matter too much since Patrick had the sole solve on FJ.
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

If I were one of the non-Patrick participants, I would've wagered 5000 sort of to max my payout assuming a Triple-Stumper.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

CyrusChan wrote:If I were one of the non-Patrick participants, I would've wagered 5000 sort of to max my payout assuming a Triple-Stumper.
Well, actually in most games, the ideal wager for the second place player in that spot would have been $4,000, leaving he/she with $10,400 on a miss, which would have topped whatever Patrick had left if he made at least the Minimum Shutout Bet (MSB) and missed. However, having the two players tied for second makes this a tricky proposition. I was considering the options for Andrew and Susannah, and they were many. They could bet it all, not wanting to risk letting the other tied player beat them if they both got it right and Patrick missed. This has the negative of automatically putting you in last place on a miss, but on the plus side, if Patrick does miss and you get it right, you would be pocketing a hefty check for $28,800 and coming back tomorrow, no matter what the other tied player does.

Another option would be to make the $4,000 bet, and hope that your opponent does the same, then on a triple stumper you would still be tied, while if you both get it right and Patrick misses, you are still both tied so you still get to come back tomorrow. Another option would be $3,999, trying to beat your fellow tied player $10,401 to $10,400 on a triple stumper, but that also leaves you vulnerable to losing $18,400 to $18,399 if you both get it right and Patrick misses. I might even consider $4,001, which might leave you tied with Patrick on a miss, but could let you beat your opponent $18,401 to $18,000 on a double get. Another option would be to simply bet nothing, figuring that if Patrick misses the FJ, there is at least a decent chance that all 3 players will miss it, so if you bet $0 and Patrick misses, you are guaranteed to either be the sole champion, or at worst finish in a tie if the other tied player also bets $0.

Indeed, there were lots of options here that could have had led to either positive or negative results for the tied players, yet somehow they both chose to bet more than $4,000, meaning that in about 90-95% of games, the leader is going to win no matter what their FJ response was, as the MSB would have left Patrick ahead of both of their scores after missing FJ. Then, inexplicably, Patick bets $799 more than he should have, which would have cost him the game if he had been unable to come up with Berlin. In his first game on 1/31, Patrick bet exactly the MSB, so I am curious as to why he chose not to do that in this case. None of this really matters of course, since he had the sole solve on FJ (and a nice solve it was), but man, he left a door open with that wager that should not have even been unlocked.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Was there anything in the Irvine clue that would lead to California and not Texas? :evil:
Went to Edinburgh for the FJ. Figured the rival was Watt.
marpocky

Post by marpocky »

Susannah split the difference between two defensible wagers ($4000 to stay ahead of Patrick on a double miss (assuming MSB), $5200 to tie his pre-FJ score on a sole get), which might be where she got the number from, but it's on the wrong end of both of them.
marpocky

Post by marpocky »

DBear wrote:Was there anything in the Irvine clue that would lead to California and not Texas? :evil:
Perhaps the fact that it was Irvine and not Irving?
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

jeff6286 wrote:
CyrusChan wrote:If I were one of the non-Patrick participants, I would've wagered 5000 sort of to max my payout assuming a Triple-Stumper.
Well, actually in most games, the ideal wager for the second place player in that spot would have been $4,000, leaving he/she with $10,400 on a miss, which would have topped whatever Patrick had left if he made at least the Minimum Shutout Bet (MSB) and missed. However, having the two players tied for second makes this a tricky proposition. I was considering the options for Andrew and Susannah, and they were many. They could bet it all, not wanting to risk letting the other tied player beat them if they both got it right and Patrick missed. This has the negative of automatically putting you in last place on a miss, but on the plus side, if Patrick does miss and you get it right, you would be pocketing a hefty check for $28,800 and coming back tomorrow, no matter what the other tied player does.

Another option would be to make the $4,000 bet, and hope that your opponent does the same, then on a triple stumper you would still be tied, while if you both get it right and Patrick misses, you are still both tied so you still get to come back tomorrow. Another option would be $3,999, trying to beat your fellow tied player $10,401 to $10,400 on a triple stumper, but that also leaves you vulnerable to losing $18,400 to $18,399 if you both get it right and Patrick misses. I might even consider $4,001, which might leave you tied with Patrick on a miss, but could let you beat your opponent $18,401 to $18,000 on a double get. Another option would be to simply bet nothing, figuring that if Patrick misses the FJ, there is at least a decent chance that all 3 players will miss it, so if you bet $0 and Patrick misses, you are guaranteed to either be the sole champion, or at worst finish in a tie if the other tied player also bets $0.

Indeed, there were lots of options here that could have had led to either positive or negative results for the tied players, yet somehow they both chose to bet more than $4,000, meaning that in about 90-95% of games, the leader is going to win no matter what their FJ response was, as the MSB would have left Patrick ahead of both of their scores after missing FJ. Then, inexplicably, Patick bets $799 more than he should have, which would have cost him the game if he had been unable to come up with Berlin. In his first game on 1/31, Patrick bet exactly the MSB, so I am curious as to why he chose not to do that in this case. None of this really matters of course, since he had the sole solve on FJ (and a nice solve it was), but man, he left a door open with that wager that should not have even been unlocked.
I had factored in the category as it is not a strength of mine and is quite broad. I do the 5k wager expecting the other to do 4-5 wager. If it had been a comfort category, I will bet it all. You play to win and little does it matter who comes in second or third. If you win, that's great. Otherwise, just have fun and enjoy your Jeopardy game.
emtwo
Contributor

Post by emtwo »

I saw "Newton's greatest rival" and it was instaget save for a couple seconds. Besides Berlin was THE place for science in the 18th century.
Wagers = huh? I bet Patrick just wagered a clean number assuming he'd get it right. As for the two in the tie I have no idea what was going on there.
I was kind of rooting for Andrew on account of his playing viola (we oppressed must stick together!) but then his leaning just bothered me to no end. Jeopardy swagger...?

PS: Shoepeg corn? Where'd that come from?
marpocky

Post by marpocky »

CyrusChan wrote:
jeff6286 wrote:

I had factored in the category as it is not a strength of mine and is quite broad. I do the 5k wager expecting the other to do 4-5 wager. If it had been a comfort category, I will bet it all. You play to win and little does it matter who comes in second or third. If you win, that's great. Otherwise, just have fun and enjoy your Jeopardy game.
I assume you threw out $5000 as a ballpark figure, but in this specific scenario, anything in the range 4001-5199 is about as bad a wager as you can make.
marpocky

Post by marpocky »

emtwo wrote:but then his leaning just bothered me to no end. Jeopardy swagger...?
Thank you, I thought that was just me.
PatMorrison
Contributor

Post by PatMorrison »

emtwo wrote:I saw "Newton's greatest rival" and it was instaget save for a couple seconds. Besides Berlin was THE place for science in the 18th century.
Wagers = huh? I bet Patrick just wagered a clean number assuming he'd get it right. As for the two in the tie I have no idea what was going on there.
Actually the clean number came from laziness. Apparently even thousands of dollars at stake will not force me to calculate the correct wager, leading to the overbet, which was obviously dumb. Glad it didn't come back to bite me.

I lived in St Petersburg for 3 months, so not being able to get that Daily Double was brutal. It took me a good couple of questions to shake it off, which led to being slow on the Great Lakes question (as a native Michigander, inexcusable). Carpentry, RVs, dinosaurs, food, not as many categories to my liking this time around.
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

PatMorrison wrote:
emtwo wrote:I saw "Newton's greatest rival" and it was instaget save for a couple seconds. Besides Berlin was THE place for science in the 18th century.
Actually the clean number came from laziness. Apparently even thousands of dollars at stake will not force me to calculate the correct wager, leading to the overbet, which was obviously dumb. Glad it didn't come back to bite me.

I lived in St Petersburg for 3 months, so not being able to get that Daily Double was brutal. It took me a good couple of questions to shake it off, which led to being slow on the Great Lakes question (as a native Michigander, inexcusable). Carpentry, RVs, dinosaurs, food, not as many categories to my liking this time around.

Hope to see you in the ToC! hoho :D