Thursday, March 1, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

jaxjags
Valued Contributor

Re: Thursday, March 1, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by jaxjags »

Good job to Patrick today, he's 1 good game from 100k. I didn't get FJ, I also thought it was Paris. I read a book over the summer for school (A History of the World in Six Glasses) and it talked about coffeehouses were good places to discuss revolution and enlightenment, scientific revolution ideas, etc. so my mind immediately went to Paris. Mostly because the chapter also had Newton in it. Berlin probably wouldn't have come into my mind.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

marpocky wrote:
emtwo wrote:but then his leaning just bothered me to no end. Jeopardy swagger...?
Thank you, I thought that was just me.
It seemed to me like some sort of disability, as you could see facial tics on the close-ups, not something he had any control over. *shrug*
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

econgator wrote:It seemed to me like some sort of disability, as you could see facial tics on the close-ups, not something he had any control over.
That's what I thought it was too.

I was half right on FJ (which = all wrong, of course).
I knew the rival was Leibniz, but... was he German or Austrian? (Guess what I picked? "Slow down, you crazy child...")
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

17 and 15 right in the rounds. I'm happy.

Anyone wanna explain that covered wagon clue to me? That seemed insanely obtuse.

Shoepeg, allusion, itemized (NHOI) and miter saw all cost me 5/5's in their categories, but I ran Animated with ease. Sadly, I think those first four shows all suck, and I've never seen the fifth.

Me before FJ!: "Betcha a dollar it's gonna be someone everyone on the J! board has heard of except me."

Me after FJ!: "Who the [insert expletive of your choice] is Leibniz?!"
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Paucle wrote:(Guess what I picked? "Slow down, you crazy child...")
Why don't you realize... ?

Which reminds me... Has anybody heard from AWSOP? Has he ever registered on this site?

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

bpmod wrote:Which reminds me... Has anybody heard from AWSOP? Has he ever registered on this site?

Brian
I've seen him on Facebook, but I don't think he's here (for whatever reason).
debramc
Iced Mare Grub

Post by debramc »

Finally my math degree comes in handy! Actually this was a lot like the FJ in my own game - knew the answer before Alex finished reading, then spent 30 seconds worrying I might be missing something. I also considered whether Leibniz might have been Austrian, but decided he must have been German.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Paris for me. If I knew that was wrong then I would have switched to Berlin. During the 30 seconds I went the wrong way on a toss-up tug of war.

Definitely an easier game tonight. I ran everything up until hanging myself by guessing gallows more than halfway through the first round. The DDs were all quite solvable and they were split tonight with each player successful.

No one got Martha Plimpton? Too bad. She does excellent work on the show.

Spoiler comment about the Teachers Tourney in case someone hasn't seen it, but figured no harm in watching regular play.
Spoiler
What's in a name? Apparently something this week with the winners.
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

Any thoughts on why the writers phrased FJ the way they did, asking for the name of the capital and not the name of the scientist? Why give players who have no clue about the Newton/Leibniz story a shot by letting them guess a prominent European capital?

My biggest worry during FJ was that Berlin might not have been the capital of anything yet. I also knew Leibniz was strongly associated with Leipzig (anyone else read Neal Stephenson's Baroque Cycle trilogy?), but I eventually convinced myself that J! couldn't possibly be asking for Leipzig.
PatMorrison
Contributor

Post by PatMorrison »

goforthetie wrote:Any thoughts on why the writers phrased FJ the way they did, asking for the name of the capital and not the name of the scientist? Why give players who have no clue about the Newton/Leibniz story a shot by letting them guess a prominent European capital?

My biggest worry during FJ was that Berlin might not have been the capital of anything yet. I also knew Leibniz was strongly associated with Leipzig (anyone else read Neal Stephenson's Baroque Cycle trilogy?), but I eventually convinced myself that J! couldn't possibly be asking for Leipzig.
According to Trebek, the original question just said "city" and did not mention anything about a capital. Apparently there was some consultation and it was changed to make the question somewhat easier. Doubt I would have landed on Berlin without the extra assistance.
Generic248
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by Generic248 »

Holy Crap! Patrick Morrison! Colin Spencer here. So, I watch Jeopardy almost nightly and recognized you from our young days growing up in Canton, MI. If I could figure out how to Private Message you I would have but this is seemingly the only way I could reach out to you... Perhaps a photo of me would jog your memory? Check out: http://www.facebook.com/#!/colinmspencer (I'm not sure if you'll be able to see this FB page) and/or send me a note to [email protected]. Anyway, congrats on not only getting on Jeopardy but winning the last three matches. Outstanding! Here's to many more wins!
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

What was Berlin the capitol of in 1711? I knew they were referring to Liebniz but somehow thought he was Dutch.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I started out wild-guessing Edinburgh with nobody in particular in mind, and then I thought of Descartes and went to Paris. Good on Patrick, boo for two bad wagers. (I'm not going to hold Patrick's against him.)
BoK

Post by BoK »

harrumph wrote:What was Berlin the capitol of in 1711? I knew they were referring to Liebniz but somehow thought he was Dutch.
Prussia.
Wimple
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by Wimple »

DBear wrote:Was there anything in the Irvine clue that would lead to Ca?
I got it as I lived there for 5 years and also you pass that RV park on the 5. I never considered Irvine particularly famous tho and wouldn't have gotten it otherwise.
Also - shoe peg corn was described as "popular". Popular with who?
Got final by means of a total WAG.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Wimple wrote:Also - shoe peg corn was described as "popular". Popular with who?.
Ho ho ho. Green Giant.
Canned or Frozen!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I went with Paris. I felt it wasn't right, but had no idea who the rival was and really couldn't come up with anything better.
debramc
Iced Mare Grub

Post by debramc »

Not a lot of gardeners here, I guess. Most seed catalogs with corn seed still have shoepeg corn. (The shoepeg types are generally heirlooms, and being taken over by fancy hybrids.) The kernels are more tapering where they attach to the cob, and they don't line up in rows. And it's very tasty!
marpocky

Post by marpocky »

econgator wrote:
marpocky wrote:
emtwo wrote:but then his leaning just bothered me to no end. Jeopardy swagger...?
Thank you, I thought that was just me.
It seemed to me like some sort of disability, as you could see facial tics on the close-ups, not something he had any control over. *shrug*
Now that I think about it, I suppose that could be the case. Anyway, apart from some baffling wagers (what else is new), good game by all 3. Certainly better competition than Wednesday.
mam418
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by mam418 »

goforthetie wrote:My biggest worry during FJ was that Berlin might not have been the capital of anything yet. I also knew Leibniz was strongly associated with Leipzig (anyone else read Neal Stephenson's Baroque Cycle trilogy?), but I eventually convinced myself that J! couldn't possibly be asking for Leipzig.
I loved the Baroque Cycle... I was wondering if anyone else had gotten FJ from that. :)