Friday, March 30, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, March 30, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6345, 2012-03-30

CONTESTANTS
Ruth Robbins, a stay-at-home mom from Jacksonville, North Carolina
Sarah Curtis, a mechanical and electrical drafter from Oceanside, California
Beau Henson, a test prep teacher and actor originally from Mt. Carmel, Illinois (whose 3-day cash winnings total $51,203)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny Gilbert, and thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Welcome aboard. Yesterday, Beau defeated two fellows. Today, he faces two young ladies--Sarah and Ruth. I welcome you aboard and wish you good luck. Here we go now into the Jeopardy! Round, which is where we always begin, and we have these categories awaiting you...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
WILD CATS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
HERBS & SPICES (3/5)
NOTEABLE NAMES (3/5)
SOLVE FOR "EX" (3/5)
IT'S ALL RELATIVE (1/4)
RECORD BREAKERS (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Beau: 10 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Sarah: 6 R, 1 W
Ruth: 4 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 10
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $6,800

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Beau found the Daily Double on the 9th clue. Beau had $2,800, Sarah had $200, and Ruth had nothing in the bank. Beau wagered $1,000.

WILD CATS $1000: The cougar has the Guinness record for most other names in English, over 40, including this 4-letter name

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Beau: $3,200
Sarah: $1,200
Ruth: $1,200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Ruth Robbins' husband is serving in Afghanistan, so she's a stay-at-home mom with four kids who likes to blog about some of the funny things her kids say.

Ruth: Yes.

Alex: Give me an example.

Ruth: Uh, the inspiration for my blog was when my oldest daughter lily was 5 and she asked me what drunk driving was. And so in an effort to make it understandable to her, I said, "It's when people drink too many beers and they drive, and it's very unsafe, so you shouldn't ever do it." And she looked at me and she said, "Okay, mommy, I will drink my beers at the stoplights."

[Laughter]

Alex: Okay. I like your daughter already.

Alex: Sarah Curtis is from Oceanside, California, with a French bulldog that does something unusual?

Sarah: He cries whenever I leave the house for any significant amount of time. He's a little better about it, but he did it really badly when he was younger. But he actually cries and sounds like a human baby. And I never believed my roommate when he told me until he took a video of it, which is one of the most hysterical things I've ever seen. I mean, he's heartbroken, but you will laugh till you cry if you watch it.

Alex: Yeah. [Laughs] Okay.

Alex: Beau Henson is our champion. He's an actor who graduated from the royal...

Beau: [Scottish brogue] Oh, the Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama.

Alex: [Scottish brogue] Music and Drama?

Beau: Mm-hmm. Music and Drama.

Alex: [Normal voice] Now how long were you a student there?

Beau: [Normal voice] It's only a year. The master's is accelerated.

Alex: Uh-huh.

Beau: But you get to go through all kinds of things, you get to be in all sorts of shows, and the Edinburgh Fringe and, uh all sorts of things.

Alex: Why did you choose to go to Scotland instead of studying somewhere here in America?

Beau: There's not that many places for musical theater. And when you look young, you want to be out of school as soon as possible when you're an actor.

Alex: I hear you. All right. Mm-hmm.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
SOLVE FOR "EX" $600: Fair market value for the owners of the little store of the route of our highway;
2-4-6-8!
Who do we this?
(Alex: Who do we [*]? That's the "EX.")

SOLVE FOR "EX" $400: The IRS is pleased to say that the value of each personal one of these has risen to $3,700
(Alex: The "EX" this time refers to [*].)

IT'S ALL RELATIVE $400: In 1917 he founded Boys Town near Omaha, open to boys of all races & religions

IT'S ALL RELATIVE $600: This first novel by Theodore Dreiser tells of a young woman's rise to become a successful Broadway actress
(Beau: What is Auntie Mame?)

IT'S ALL RELATIVE $800: A 1952 study of tales collected under this fictional name noted 8 whippings & 2 unlawful imprisonments
(Alex: And those were the--believe it or not--[*] stories. Pretty violent stuff!)

HERBS & SPICES $600: This spice is in one of Connecticut's nicknames
(Alex: It's called the [*] State.)

HERBS & SPICES $1000: If you've got sprig fever, cook with this pungent herb, since ancient Greek times thought to boost memory

NOTEABLE NAMES $800: "Non, Je Ne Regrette Rien"--"no, I don't regret anything"--was a trademark chanson of this woman
(Beau: Who is Edie Piaf?)
(Alex: Ooh, no. Sorry. It's not like Eydie Gorme. It's [*]. So you lose money, and we go back to Ruth to make the next selection.)

NOTEABLE NAMES $1000: This Chinese president graduated from medical college in 1892
(Sarah: Who is Chiang Kai-shek?)

RECORD BREAKERS $600: It's not the glamour event it was, but anyway El Guerrouj ran it in 3:43.13 in 1999, breaking Morceli's record
(Alex: Broke the record for [*].)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Ruth: $2,800
Beau: $2,600
Sarah: $2,600
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, March 30, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
POE'S PROSE (4/5) (Alex: Edgar Allen Poe, of course)
17th CENTURY SCIENCE (5/5)
KROSSWORD KLUES "K" (3/5)
MICHAEL AT THE MIKE (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
LANGUAGES OF SOUTH AMERICA (2/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
RECORD DESTROYERS (2/2)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Beau: 13 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 4 W (including 1 DD)
Sarah: 5 R, 1 W
Ruth: 3 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W

Clues revealed: 27
Triple Stumpers: 5
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $7,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Beau snagged the next Daily Double on the 13th clue. Beau had $7,400, Sarah had $2,600, and Ruth was at $3,200. Beau wagered $2,500.

LANGUAGES OF SOUTH AMERICA $1200: With 1.5 million speakers, Italian is this country's second-most spoken language; Arabic is third & German is fourth
(Beau: What is ... Chile?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Beau who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 23rd clue. Beau had $8,900, Sarah had $4,600, and Ruth was at $3,600. Beau wagered $2,000.

MICHAEL AT THE MIKE $1200: In 2011 this singer said of his band's breakup, "We have to thank all the people who helped us ... for these 31 years"
(Alex: Lead singer of R.E.M. Less than a minute to go now.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
POE'S PROSE $2000: The final line in this Poe story is "The inquisition was in the hands of its enemies"

KROSSWORD KLUES "K" $1200: "Lethal" wet blanket (7)

KROSSWORD KLUES "K" $2000: Synagogue mourner's prayer (7)
(Beau: What is a keen?)
(Alex: With names like Sarah and Ruth, you would think you would come up with [*]. [*].)

LANGUAGES OF SOUTH AMERICA $400: This Romance language, not Spanish, is the most commonly spoken language in the city of Cayenne
(Sarah: What is Portuguese?)

LANGUAGES OF SOUTH AMERICA $2000: It's thought that the Inca learned this language after conquering the tribes at Cuzco
(Beau: What is Nawat?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Beau: $11,300
Sarah: $7,000
Ruth: $5,200

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
U.S. VICE PRESIDENTS
(Alex: There haven't been that many, have there? So it might be easy.)

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Beau: Wager $2,701 to cover Sarah.
Sarah: You have the hope of surpassing Beau if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $4,301 to force Beau to wager to win while also protecting your position from being usurped by Ruth.
Ruth: Your only hope of a win is that you're the only one to give a correct response, so bet $5,198 or so, leaving a few bucks behind in case someone wagers it all.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
More VPs have been from this state than any other, including 2 20th century VPs who were its governor

FINAL SCORES
Ruth: $5,200 - $5,199 = $1 (What is Texas?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Sarah: $7,000 + $7,000 = $14,000 (What is New York) (New champion: $14,000)
Beau: $11,300 - $2,701 = $8,599 (What is TN?) (2nd place: $2,000)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $14,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Beau: $13,000, 23 R (including 2 DDs), 7 W (including 1 DD)
Sarah: $7,000, 11 R, 2 W
Ruth: $5,200, 7 R, 1 W
Combined Coryat: $25,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Beau: 23/61 = .377
Sarah: 12/58 = .207
Ruth: 7/58 = .121
Team: 42/63 = .667

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
WILD CATS $800: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew shows photographs of two cats on a monitor.) To distinguish between two North American cats, remember that the mountain lion is mainly one color with a very long tail, while this cat is spotted with a short tail

SOLVE FOR "EX" $1000: If the murderer had blood type A, finding that a suspect has type O is this kind of evidence
(Sarah: What is exclusionary?)
[originally ruled incorrect]
(Ruth: What is exculpatory?)
(Alex: As we get ready for the Double Jeopardy! round, we have good news and bad news for Sarah. During the break, our researchers discovered that in some of the newer legal textbooks, "exclusionary" is a word that would satisfy the clue we presented awhile ago. So, you're picking up $2000 with puts you into a tie with Beau, but which means he gets to pick first in Double Jeopardy.)

NOTEABLE NAMES $200: His "poems, chiefly in the Scottish dialect" were a hit with simple folks & critics alike
(Alex: [*]--yes, I knew you wouldn't miss that one.)

RECORD BREAKERS $800: Naturally, John Stockton's record-breaking 9,922nd assist came on a pass to this man
(Beau: Who is Byrd?)

LANGUAGES OF SOUTH AMERICA $800: Fluminense, which is spoken in Rio de Janeiro, is a dialect of this official language of Brazil
(Alex: Sarah's smiling because she realizes, this was the time for it.)

MICHAEL AT THE MIKE $400: He originated the title role in the London stage production of "Phantom of the Opera"
(Beau: Who is Michael Ball?)

MICHAEL AT THE MIKE $1600: Seen here, he's hit it big with jazzy takes on old standards

RECORD DESTROYERS $400: During this war the British burned some of our records, but not our declaration of war--it was found in 1939
(Ruth: What is the Revolutionary War?)

RECORD DESTROYERS $800: FOIA requests for files on Rosa Parks & Walter Cronkite came up empty, as this agency said it had destroyed those
[Alex pronounced "FOIA" as "Freedom of Information Act"]

CORRECT RESPONSES
puma
expropriate
an exemption
Father Flanagan
Sister Carrie
Mother Goose
nutmeg
rosemary
Edith Piaf
Dr. Sun Yat-sen
the mile
Argentina
Michael Stipe
"The Pit and the Pendulum"
killjoy
kaddish
French
Quechua
New York
a bobcat
exculpatory (exclusionary also accepted)
(Robbie) Burns
(Karl) Malone
Portuguese
Michael Crawford
Michael Bublé
the War of 1812
the FBI
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

U.S. Vice Presidents

Post by Bamaman »

More VPs have been from this state than any other, including 2 20th century VPs who were its governor.
Spoiler
What is New York? Only Sarah was correct. Ruth said Texas, Beau said Tennessee

Ruth:$5,200-$5,199=$1

Sarah: $7,000+$7,000=$14,000, new champion.

Beau: $11,300-$2,701=$8,599
TenPoundHammer

Re: Friday, March 30, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Is it well known that the Gir forest and/or Gujarat State are in India?

Overall, the boards seemed very patchy, with some super-hard stuff at lower values than super-easy stuff. Case in point: expropriate and exculpatory in "Ex" against much easier words like exquisite.

Relative also seemed way out there.

NY was my first guess, but I backed away because I couldn't think of any NY governors. I never get FJ! right anyway, so why risk a guess?
DWS
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by DWS »

A mediocre game to watch. My WAG for FJ was incorrect. Not a great way to end the week.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote:I never get FJ! right anyway, so why risk a guess?
BECAUSE THERE IS NO RISK IN GUESSING!

Some stunning TS's -- Father Flanagan, Sister Carrie, Nutmeg State

FJ was an easy get.

Oh yeah ... I'd swear Sarah said LaDanian Tomlisson.
DWS
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by DWS »

TenPoundHammer wrote:NY was my first guess, but I backed away because I couldn't think of any NY governors. I never get FJ! right anyway, so why risk a guess?
What's the risk of a guess vs. no response?
xxaaaxx
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by xxaaaxx »

Fermat for 2000 when spotted "last theorom"?!

As someone who has watched waaaaaay too many hours of legal dramas and cop shows, I should've been all over exculpatory instead of muttering exclusionary, but I was surprised when they negged it, and waited for the reversal.

Precalled Rockefeller for FJ, then was thrilled to see a clue referring to him (in part). Nice and easy to close out the 5/5.

Sorry to see you go, Beau. When is the last time a 3-dayer made it into the TOC?
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

Well, so ends the first three day champ in a while who probably was worth trying to get into the TOC, but there were several footshootings in this episode that wasn't present yesterday.

No offense, but I wasn't really happy with Alex playing off the Jewish stereotype there. (I am Jewish ftr, nowhere near Orthodox, but really?)

Also, Michael McDonald was undervalued and Michael Bolton was overvalued in my book.

Easiest final this week, considering NY's a 20th century politics hotspot.
Adam Seth Moss
DoorDasher (since May 7, 2020)
M.A. History, Western Illinois Univ, 2017
B.A. History (minors in PoliSci & PubAdm), Montclair State Univ, 2015
A.A. History & Education, Middlesex County Coll., 2013
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

Not that I will ever make the show, so I figure I will offer my approach to this FJ:

You've got some time. Think about VPs. Work backwards. If you spend 30 seconds trying to recall VPs in the first place, you'll be in trouble. Rockefeller and TR are both fairly well known VPs, if you enter the question prepared.

I sound like a broken record, but for "Ex," why not just ask about the exclusionary rule, which is a pretty well defined term and appropriate for $1000, instead of an "ex" which could be exculpatory, exclusionary, exonerating... I am sure three other things, too.

Spotty board for the contestants, lots of trash.
Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

xxaaaxx wrote: Sorry to see you go, Beau. When is the last time a 3-dayer made it into the TOC?
Nick Swezey and Doug Hicton, 2007 ToC.
Adam Seth Moss
DoorDasher (since May 7, 2020)
M.A. History, Western Illinois Univ, 2017
B.A. History (minors in PoliSci & PubAdm), Montclair State Univ, 2015
A.A. History & Education, Middlesex County Coll., 2013
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

Roadgeek Adam wrote: Easiest final this week, considering NY's a 20th century politics hotspot.
Well I don't understand that logic, California for example played as obvious role in national American politics (Hoover, Nixon, Reagan for starters). Texas had three presidents with ties to that state, etc, off the top of my head two presidents were from Massachusetts, etc.
ACW

Post by ACW »

I too thought exclusionary.

Stockton to LARRY BIRD? :oops:
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

ACW wrote:Stockton to LARRY BIRD? :oops:
Yeah, that was a howler. If any of his friends are basketball fans, they'll never let him live that one down :lol:
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

ACW wrote:Stockton to LARRY BIRD? :oops:
Yeah, that was a head-shaker, too.
ACW

Post by ACW »

So in a tie the champ picks first?

I'm guessing Beau had no idea and just picked a random player he knew the name of :lol:
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

Shocked someone named Ruth would miss Final Jeopardy, since, you know, New York has a lot of Jews.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

ACW wrote:So in a tie the champ picks first?
I thought it went to the person who was behind at the penultimate clue.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Beau seemed to have a lot of bad misses this week and it cost him today as he barely missed having a lock.

I also thought about Rockefeller during the break and maybe that helped me get it right.

It sounded to me like she mispronounced LT's name. When Alex said the good and bad news for her, I thought they would reverse her for exclusionary, but ding her for that.

The clue about the language they speak in Brazil was in the second row?? Should have been at the top. I got Argentina from figuring a country with that many Italian speakers had to be big and Brazil was already off the board.
alamble

Post by alamble »

Roadgeek Adam wrote:
Also, Michael McDonald was undervalued and Michael Bolton was overvalued in my book.
Michael McDonald was valued just right; it's Michael Crawford who was undervalued, though Beau, as a student of musical theatre who studied in Scotland, probably should've gotten that one. (Sorry Beau, if you're reading this)