Friday, March 30, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: Friday, March 30, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Not related to Jeopardy!, but can someone find me something that uses
Spoiler
"in the mix"
as an actual phrase? That was the bonus puzzle on Wheel tonight, and I have never heard that as a thing. I'm finding lots of things titled "In the Mix", but literally nothing using it as a phrase.
Wheel comes after Jeopardy where I am. Thanks for the spoiler.
TenPoundHammer wrote:
StevenH wrote:
Bamaman wrote:The clue about the language they speak in Brazil was in the second row?? Should have been at the top. I got Argentina from figuring a country with that many Italian speakers had to be big and Brazil was already off the board.
Yeah, Brazil should have been at the top and the Cayenne=French clue should have been in the second row.
I just said that.
No you didn't.
TenPoundHammer wrote: Seriously though, about that guessing thing. Every guess I make is wrong. EVERY. SINGLE. ONE.
Only because you opt not to guess when you're thinking of guessing the correct response.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

seaborgium wrote:Wheel comes after Jeopardy where I am. Thanks for the spoiler.
My bad. No one else here has mentioned Wheel that I recall, so I was under the impression that I was alone in this regard.
No you didn't.
You're right, I didn't. I had thought about saying it, but never got around to putting it in my post.
Only because you opt not to guess when you're thinking of guessing the correct response.
Again. I've had a long, long, LONG chain of wrong guesses, which is why I swallow so many right answers.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Again. I've had a long, long, LONG chain of wrong guesses, which is why I swallow so many right answers.
Thereby ensuring that every guess you make will be incorrect.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

econgator wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Again. I've had a long, long, LONG chain of wrong guesses, which is why I swallow so many right answers.
Thereby ensuring that every guess you make will be incorrect.
Which is why I don't guess.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.-Wayne Gretzky

Look, they were going for a state. You know it is likely to be a big state, so that narrows it down. So New York was a pretty reasonable guess, even if you had no idea, yet you left the screen blank. It isn't like they were asking you to pick a movie star. Yesterday,
Spoiler
they asked for a planet, but you didn't even guess on that one, even though by blind luck, you'd have a 1 in 9 (I know, but Pluto will always be a planet to me) chance of getting it right.
(Read only if you've seen yesterday's show.
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

Austin Powers wrote:Shocked someone named Ruth would miss Final Jeopardy, since, you know, New York has a lot of Jews.
Well, NOW you'll never get on... (this was good, though)

I also thought Ladanian Tomlinson's name was mispronounced; I thought I heard Ladamian and last name was slurry. So what's up with good news and bad news, anyway? I knew what the good news would be, then waited for the bad, which I thought would be Tomlinson neg. But just no mention. 'Just kidding about that bad news thing.' Weird. Beau negged his way out of lock territory, and his once-bitten, twice-shy second DD bet just didn't work out. Not a smooth game tonight. Wonder if the FJ get was with full knowledge or a guess; she seemed surprised.

I got FJ fairly quickly, but I thought the clue was slightly tricky, since both of the referenced gov/VPs were VPs for a very short time, and Rockefeller was never elected to the post (neither was Ford to the presidency, for that matter; any accommodation to get that Nixon out of there). And Teddy was VP less than a year. Still, original 13 was a good place to start, then adapt to 20th C.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Bamaman wrote:You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.-Wayne Gretzky
Well, up until today, I was also missing 100% of the shots I did take, so that doesn't help much.
You know it is likely to be a big state, so that narrows it down.
Not for me it didn't. I figured it wouldn't necessarily be one of the biggest states, since more presidents have come from Virginia (37th in size) than any other state.
Yesterday,
Spoiler
they asked for a planet, but you didn't even guess on that one, even though by blind luck, you'd have a 1 in 9 (I know, but Pluto will always be a planet to me) chance of getting it right.
But as I said in that thread, the first answer I ruled out using my own frayed logic happened to be the right one. Leaving me to pick from a pool of nothing but wrong answers.
Last edited by TenPoundHammer on Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

Do you guys have FUN trying to give TPH advice?? Cuz this is another thing I don't get...
spell4yr
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by spell4yr »

I completely blanked, and ended up guessing Indiana just to have something. The state apparently only sent one 20th century Governor to become a VP, however. (And has less than half of NY's overall total, but that's neither here nor there).
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Size of course has less to do with its chances than longevity. (Alaska has only been around for 12 Presidential elections!) Anytime you think of "state that has had the most (anything to do with the Government)", the original 13 have to get priority in the thought process.
billy pilgrim

Post by billy pilgrim »

bomtr wrote:Do you guys have FUN trying to give TPH advice?? Cuz this is another thing I don't get...
A very wise man once told me "never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it irritates the pig".
She caught the Katy and left me a mule to ride.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

By "big" I was thinking more in terms of big in influence and population than actual geographic size.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

I was surprised Edie Piaf got negged. Would I get negged for Chuck V of Spain or Betsy I of England?
I'm smart and I want respect.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Lefty wrote:I was surprised Edie Piaf got negged. Would I get negged for Chuck V of Spain or Betsy I of England?
They didn't let anyone else ring in after Alex negged it. So I'm guessing they took it and then overturned it right away.

That said, even with Edie short for Edith, is there any record of her going by Edie?
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Austin Powers wrote:Not that I will ever make the show
Despite my sincere hope that *every* boardie (yes, *every* boardie) that hasn't been on gets on sometime (as they make the best TV), in your case I'll hope that's true considering you always have me for lunch every time we face off in trivia. I do not want to be up against you if you're on. I'll tell TPTB you're my brother or something. :)
TenPoundHammer wrote:Not related to Jeopardy!, but can someone find me something that uses "in the mix" as an actual phrase?
Let me Google that for you ...

(Yeah, most, but not all, of the first page are titles, but a) titles are SEO'd to get top ranking, as that's what they assume people will be searching for, and b) why use it as a title if it's not a popular phrase. You don't see, for example, "garden-hopping sediments" used as a title because it's not a phrase. Go ahead, Google it. This post will be the only thing that comes up, because I just made up that phrase now. (Seems like most of the top non-title results are for sports-related pages fsr.)

(And I didn't
Spoiler
TPH's phrase, as Wheel should be over by now. Let me know if I'm wrong.)
TenPoundHammer wrote:
You know it is likely to be a big state, so that narrows it down.
Not for me it didn't. I figured it wouldn't necessarily be one of the biggest states, since more presidents have come from Virginia (37th in size) than any other state.
I thought it was Ohio, they must be a close second. (And also, to prove your point, not a "big" state in any sense of the term.)

Judges: I said "kubasa" (KOO-ba-sah) in K $800 (chuckled at the "Krossword Klues 'K'" title) - originally I came on to say "I know that's not the requisite number of letters and therefore wrong, but could "kielbasa" be concievably pronounced that way to give me credit?" Then a quick Wikipedia check tells me that Canadians generally call "kielbasa" "kubasa", so I could blame it on my ethnicity. Still fall short in the requisite number of letters, but perhaps lenience in pronunciation? (ie if I said "kubasa", would they think I'm trying to pronounce "kielbasa" and credit me?)
Last edited by dhkendall on Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added pronunciation of "kubasa"
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Lefty wrote:I was surprised Edie Piaf got negged. Would I get negged for Chuck V of Spain or Betsy I of England?
They didn't let anyone else ring in after Alex negged it. So I'm guessing they took it and then overturned it right away.

That said, even with Edie short for Edith, is there any record of her going by Edie?
I thought they didn't let anyone else as Beau was right under the wire with his response, anyone else would have had far too much time.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

dhkendall wrote:(Yeah, most, but not all, of the first page are titles, but a) titles are SEO'd to get top ranking, as that's what they assume people will be searching for, and b) why use it as a title if it's not a popular phrase.
More like the first 10 pages. And beyond. I did keep going for several pages just to make sure.
Onairb

Post by Onairb »

ACW wrote:So in a tie the champ picks first?

I'm guessing Beau had no idea and just picked a random player he knew the name of :lol:
And that's why TPH clams.
Onairb

Post by Onairb »

alamble wrote:
Roadgeek Adam wrote:
Also, Michael McDonald was undervalued and Michael Bolton was overvalued in my book.
Michael McDonald was valued just right; it's Michael Crawford who was undervalued, though Beau, as a student of musical theatre who studied in Scotland, probably should've gotten that one. (Sorry Beau, if you're reading this)
This edges the 'Larry Bird' response as the biggest 'D'OH!' of the night. If you don't know basketball, and just say the first name that comes to mind, it's understandable. I could even overlook saying 'The Lucy Show' instead of 'I Love Lucy'. However, a 'musical theatre guy' not knowing Crawford played the Phantom is like a baseball fan/'student of the game' not knowing which team(pick one), Ruth/DiMaggio/Mantle played for. There are some things that even people who supposedly know 'nothing' about a category would get...even 20-plus years later, Crawford would be that 'first name they could think of' for a lot of people in a 'Phantom' clue (like Robert Goulet was-eventually- synonymous with 'Camelot' in the '80s).
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Onairb wrote:
ACW wrote:I'm guessing Beau had no idea and just picked a random player he knew the name of :lol:
And that's why TPH clams.
THANK YOU.