Friday, March 30, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

TenPoundHammer

Re: Friday, March 30, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer »

DWS wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:NY was my first guess, but I backed away because I couldn't think of any NY governors. I never get FJ! right anyway, so why risk a guess?
What's the risk of a guess vs. no response?
Because the last 489 billion guesses I've taken have all been wrong? Just yesterday, I took six or seven guesses, and every single freaking one is wrong. When your track record is that bad, you tend to get a little gunshy.
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

Bamaman wrote: The clue about the language they speak in Brazil was in the second row?? Should have been at the top. I got Argentina from figuring a country with that many Italian speakers had to be big and Brazil was already off the board.
Or you could ask yourself why so many Argentines have names like Ginobili, Messi, Sabatini...
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Not related to Jeopardy!, but can someone find me something that uses "in the mix" as an actual phrase? That was the bonus puzzle on Wheel tonight, and I have never heard that as a thing. I'm finding lots of things titled "In the Mix", but literally nothing using it as a phrase.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

For the most part I thought that the clues on this board were good, but there were quite a few that were overvalued or undervalued.

Beau once again had some good gets, but he also had some bad misses that kept him from the lock. He did a good job to have a crush game going into FJ after he missed that Daily Double. I had the impression that fatigue may have been a big factor for him.

The South America category is an example for me of why DD hunting isn't always the best idea. If I had seen the DD as the first clue in that category I would have gone with Brazil, but since Brazil had come up in the previous clue I went with the next largest country by land area, Argentina, which turned out to be correct. Of course, I should have been able to get the clue even without seeing the Brazil clue beforehand, but still.

I got FJ on a lucky guess but I may not have been able to get it under pressure. Clues like that tend to make me start with the most recent VPs, so I considered Tennessee but didn't think that Gore had been a governor. Then Rockefeller popped into my head and I felt good enough about New York to guess it.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Bamaman wrote:The clue about the language they speak in Brazil was in the second row?? Should have been at the top. I got Argentina from figuring a country with that many Italian speakers had to be big and Brazil was already off the board.
Yeah, Brazil should have been at the top and the Cayenne=French clue should have been in the second row.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

StevenH wrote:
Bamaman wrote:The clue about the language they speak in Brazil was in the second row?? Should have been at the top. I got Argentina from figuring a country with that many Italian speakers had to be big and Brazil was already off the board.
Yeah, Brazil should have been at the top and the Cayenne=French clue should have been in the second row.
I just said that.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Not related to Jeopardy!, but can someone find me something that uses "in the mix" as an actual phrase? That was the bonus puzzle on Wheel tonight, and I have never heard that as a thing. I'm finding lots of things titled "In the Mix", but literally nothing using it as a phrase.
Beau won three games. so he is in the mix to make the TOC.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Bamaman wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Not related to Jeopardy!, but can someone find me something that uses "in the mix" as an actual phrase? That was the bonus puzzle on Wheel tonight, and I have never heard that as a thing. I'm finding lots of things titled "In the Mix", but literally nothing using it as a phrase.
Beau won three games. so he is in the mix to make the TOC.
You're just making that up, aren't you. :-P

Seriously though, about that guessing thing. Every guess I make is wrong. EVERY. SINGLE. ONE.
lisa0012
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by lisa0012 »

Pretty much instaget FJ! The trap people fell into was focusing on recent VPs and their states (without taking the time to remember their offices) instead of thinking of governors who moved onto national office. Only a finite number of governors have in this century made it to the top two, then realize Reagan and Clinton were never VPs, and you're quickly at the beginning of the century in New York.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

20/3 in the J! round, but 7 of those 20 were trash: exemption, Sister Carrie, Mother Goose, nutmeg, Edith Piaf, Sun Yat-Sen and the mile. Also got French for Cayenne and Quechua. FJ was a guess, starting with Texas and switching to New York with five seconds left.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Vice Presidents. Yet another thing that I CAN NOT GET TO STICK IN MY MIND.
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

New York again! W00t!

TR and FDR was who came to mind, didn't use the first part of the clue.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

lisa0012 wrote:Pretty much instaget FJ! The trap people fell into was focusing on recent VPs and their states (without taking the time to remember their offices) instead of thinking of governors who moved onto national office. Only a finite number of governors have in this century made it to the top two, then realize Reagan and Clinton were never VPs, and you're quickly at the beginning of the century in New York.
Looks like there were only 4: Teddy Roosevelt (NY), Marshall (IN), Calvin Coolidge (MA), Nelson Rockefeller (NY)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

CyrusChan wrote:TR and FDR was who came to mind, didn't use the first part of the clue.
FDR was never a VP, though. But hey, a wrong route to a correct response is still good. :)
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

lisa0012 wrote:Pretty much instaget FJ! The trap people fell into was focusing on recent VPs and their states (without taking the time to remember their offices) instead of thinking of governors who moved onto national office. Only a finite number of governors have in this century made it to the top two, then realize Reagan and Clinton were never VPs, and you're quickly at the beginning of the century in New York.
Only a finite number of people have done anything. ;)

I tried thinking of governors-turned-veeps, couldn't come up with a single one, and then guessed New York, since it had to be a relatively big eastern state and I had it in the back of my mind that there were at least a few random ones from NY in the 19th century.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

econgator wrote:
Looks like there were only 4: Teddy Roosevelt (NY), Marshall (IN), Calvin Coolidge (MA), Nelson Rockefeller (NY)
And Spiro Agnew (but who cares about him? ;) )
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

xxaaaxx wrote:And Spiro Agnew (but who cares about him? ;) )
People who like making anagrams. Grow a [body part that has the same letters as "spine" but in a different order] and all that.
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

goforthetie wrote:
Only a finite number of people have done anything. ;)
That's what I get for using big words on a Friday night...
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Not to pile on you Lisa, but only one Governor has made it to the top two this century. :mrgreen:
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

Paucle wrote:Not to pile on you Lisa, but only one Governor has made it to the top two this century. :mrgreen:
Was referring to the 20th century as specified in the clue, not the current century. You knew what I meant. Now you're just picking on me.