Friday, March 30, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Vanya
The support is non-zero

Re: Friday, March 30, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Vanya »

Several of my ancestors were named Sarah. I'm certain none of them were Jewish.
Sage on the Hudson
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Subcontinental divide

Post by Sage on the Hudson »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Is it well known that the Gir forest and/or Gujarat State are in India?
It is in India.

Austin Powers wrote:Well I don't understand that logic, California for example played as obvious role in national American politics (Hoover, Nixon, Reagan for starters). Texas had three presidents with ties to that state, etc, off the top of my head two presidents were from Massachusetts, etc.
Depends on how one defines "from": Reagan was born in Illinois; Nixon's legal residence was in New York when he ran in 1968.

goforthetie wrote:Or you could ask yourself why so many Argentines have names like Ginobili, Messi, Sabatini...
Why a large number of them have names like Schultz and Mengele is a more pertinent question.

TenPoundHammer wrote:Seriously though, about that guessing thing. Every guess I make is wrong. EVERY. SINGLE. ONE.
One should never underestimate the value and virtue of absolute consistency.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: Subcontinental divide

Post by Bamaman »

Sage on the Hudson wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Is it well known that the Gir forest and/or Gujarat State are in India?
It is in India.
I had never heard of those places, but they sounded Indian and "state" also led me there.

goforthetie wrote:Or you could ask yourself why so many Argentines have names like Ginobili, Messi, Sabatini...
Why a large number of them have names like Schultz and Mengele is a more pertinent question.
Actually, when he said German was the #4 language spoken there, I did think of the Nazi migration.

TenPoundHammer wrote:Seriously though, about that guessing thing. Every guess I make is wrong. EVERY. SINGLE. ONE.
One should never underestimate the value and virtue of absolute consistency.
Clamming on a basketball question in the middle of the game is fine. Clamming on FJ, especially when you have a short list of possible answers, all of which you have heard of, is foolish.

Though probably not nearly as foolish as me to keep trying to get TPH to change his ways.
LeFlaneur
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by LeFlaneur »

No less than 9 lach trash pickups in J alone for my wife and me. Whats up with that. Fun game to watch though, what with 3 attractive contestants competing.
Le Flaneur
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

dhkendall wrote:

Judges: I said "kubasa" (KOO-ba-sah) in K $800 (chuckled at the "Krossword Klues 'K'" title) - originally I came on to say "I know that's not the requisite number of letters and therefore wrong, but could "kielbasa" be concievably pronounced that way to give me credit?" Then a quick Wikipedia check tells me that Canadians generally call "kielbasa" "kubasa", so I could blame it on my ethnicity. Still fall short in the requisite number of letters, but perhaps lenience in pronunciation? (ie if I said "kubasa", would they think I'm trying to pronounce "kielbasa" and credit me?)
I don't know what the correct pronunciation is. But around Cleveland (where the word gets said A LOT!) I've heard that first syllable uttered as "kie," "kuh," pretty much everything BUT "KEEL-basa." Almost as if everyone had a, well, you know, lodged in his throat....

Meanwhile, as much as I hate FJs where there are as many hypothetically correct choices as this one, I did manage to WAG NY. All I did was think that the greater likelihood was an eastern state, then from somewhere got a memory of Nelson Rockefeller, couldn't think of a second VP from NY, wrote down NY, and couldn't come up with anything else before time ran out. As thought processes go, not my finest moment, but it worked for once.

Note to no one in particular: although it was a guess, it had a higher probability of being correct than if I had written nothing. Just sayin'....
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

So, was Dewey never VP? I don't know anything about y'all's Veeps, but I thought I had read somewhere recently that Dewey was among the former NY Governors who had served that position. It may have been a dream, but it seemed to have been worded sorta like that, too... like NY Governors had gone on to bigger and better positions in greater numbers.

Anyway, I have driven the Dewey Tollway more times than I can remember, and, therefore always associate him with New York.

And, a get's a get, no matter how you got there.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Oh, and kielbasa... it's Polish for sausage. I learned a fair amount of Polish back in the day, and I remember being laughed at by my Polish friends for referring to a particular type of sausage as kielbasa (I have pronounced it correctly ever since a few (non-Polish) friends did a skit in a HS talent show that involved the word (my Eureka moment: kielbasa & kuhbasa are the same thing!)), when "anybody knows" that all kielbasa (regardless of where it's from) is kielbasa.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

bpmod wrote:So, was Dewey never VP? I don't know anything about y'all's Veeps, but I thought I had read somewhere recently that Dewey was among the former NY Governors who had served that position. It may have been a dream, but it seemed to have been worded sorta like that, too... like NY Governors had gone on to bigger and better positions in greater numbers.

Anyway, I have driven the Dewey Tollway more times than I can remember, and, therefore always associate him with New York.

And, a get's a get, no matter how you got there.

Brian
Dewey was a Republican, so in his active years in politics there were either Democrat presidents or Eisenhower, who had Nixon as his veep.

On FJ I had had a long day and instead of working backwards I just tried to think of governors who became veeps and couldn't come up with anything so I wagged California.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

ACW wrote:Stockton to LARRY BIRD? :oops:
Barcelona, 1992.
TenPoundHammer wrote:That said, even with Edie short for Edith, is there any record of her going by Edie?
I got no hits on "Edie Piaf" although "Eddie Piaf" came up.

Even though it was over thirty years ago, I could vividly remember during the reading of the clue how I first head the term but could not pull up the word "kadish." Ugh!

Rockefeller was also part of my FJ! precall, so no problem there.
OCSam
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Bamaman wrote:
It is in India.
I had never heard of those places, but they sounded Indian and "state" also led me there.
Gujarat didn't sound remotely Indian to me, and "Gir" had me thinking about that hyperactive little robot thing from Invader Zim.
Clamming on a basketball question in the middle of the game is fine. Clamming on FJ, especially when you have a short list of possible answers, all of which you have heard of, is foolish.
But, as it turned out on Thursday, clamming on FJ! wasn't too foolish, since the first answer I ruled out of a limited pool happened to be the right one — leaving me in the catch-22 of "wrong answer" or "no answer".
heisman65
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by heisman65 »

xxaaaxx wrote:Fermat for 2000 when spotted "last theorom"?!

As someone who has watched waaaaaay too many hours of legal dramas and cop shows, I should've been all over exculpatory instead of muttering exclusionary, but I was surprised when they negged it, and waited for the reversal.

Precalled Rockefeller for FJ, then was thrilled to see a clue referring to him (in part). Nice and easy to close out the 5/5.

Sorry to see you go, Beau. When is the last time a 3-dayer made it into the TOC?
Yes, it's shocking that something you know like the back of your hand could be so badly overvalued. Absolutely shocking. Sorry, but science and math may be strong suits of most here, but they're not for most non-engineer, non-mathematican types, believe it or not. Just saying …

That said, as an English major, I found those bottom three Poe clues extremely difficult. I was sure, too, that the Cask of Amontillado would make it in there somewhere (it's a fave of J! writers) or Auguste Dupin and the Murders in Rue Morgue. Keeping it fresh, I suppose.

This is one of those games were after a few bad misses, and with dollar totals becoming ever smaller, gun-shy-ness becomes contagious.
Sage on the Hudson

There wasn't a Ford in our future after all

Post by Sage on the Hudson »

John Boy wrote:Meanwhile, as much as I hate FJs where there are as many hypothetically correct choices as this one, I did manage to WAG NY. All I did was think that the greater likelihood was an eastern state, then from somewhere got a memory of Nelson Rockefeller, couldn't think of a second VP from NY, wrote down NY, and couldn't come up with anything else before time ran out. As thought processes go, not my finest moment, but it worked for once.
Theodore Roosevelt came to mind instantly, but I just couldn't think of whom the second New Yorker (despite having grown up in New York) might be until the memory of what "Rocky" supposedly remarked when Gerald Ford asked him to be Veep: "I never wanted to be vice president of anything."
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

heisman65 wrote:

As someone who has watched waaaaaay too many hours of legal dramas and cop shows, I should've been all over exculpatory instead of muttering exclusionary, but I was surprised when they negged it, and waited for the reversal.

Precalled Rockefeller for FJ, then was thrilled to see a clue referring to him (in part). Nice and easy to close out the 5/5.

Sorry to see you go, Beau. When is the last time a 3-dayer made it into the TOC?
Yes, it's shocking that something you know like the back of your hand could be so badly overvalued. Absolutely shocking. Sorry, but science and math may be strong suits of most here, but they're not for most non-engineer, non-mathematican types, believe it or not. Just saying …
heisman - I'm definitely with you on the science and math being a weak spot of mine (although, judging by your nick and avatar, we're probably at odds about our relative strength in sports categories), very poor at both, but I've heard of "Fermat's Last Theorem", but that's almost all I know about it. The only other thing I know about it is that it's some impossible math thing that wasn't proven until recently. That is it. Have no idea what it is about, and the Wikipedia page soon bored me, couldn't make heads or tails of it (yeah, I know, starting to sound like TPH there). However, the clue fit the bill, so rang in.

If we were complaining about "Einstein for 2000 when spotted 'theory of relativity'?", would you have said the same thing?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
heisman65
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by heisman65 »

dhkendall wrote:
heisman65 wrote:

heisman - I'm definitely with you on the science and math being a weak spot of mine (although, judging by your nick and avatar, we're probably at odds about our relative strength in sports categories), very poor at both, but I've heard of "Fermat's Last Theorem", but that's almost all I know about it. The only other thing I know about it is that it's some impossible math thing that wasn't proven until recently. That is it. Have no idea what it is about, and the Wikipedia page soon bored me, couldn't make heads or tails of it (yeah, I know, starting to sound like TPH there). However, the clue fit the bill, so rang in.

If we were complaining about "Einstein for 2000 when spotted 'theory of relativity'?", would you have said the same thing?
No. Einstein and his theory are quite common knowledge, I believe. Maybe the most famous theory ever. I get that the tease-out is that it was his last and that it was unproven until recently (and I get that's all you need to know), but it still drew a blank from me, although I did get the previous four clues. And looking at the J! Archive, Fermat has only come up seven times in the past 22 years (and only once in the three years since I've been watching), so it isn't nearly as common as Einstein, or even Euclid or Pythagoras, whom I always get.

Math and science for me are like the Bible — an infinite body of knowledge that unless you've actually studied them, are nearly impossible to get your head completely around, unlike, say U.S. presidents, Greek gods or Super Bowl winners.

I'm just saying it wasn't the gimme that some believe it was.
marpocky

Post by marpocky »

heisman65 wrote:Math and science for me are like the Bible — an infinite body of knowledge that unless you've actually studied them, are nearly impossible to get your head completely around, unlike, say U.S. presidents, Greek gods or Super Bowl winners.

Interesting that you mention that, since I file it under things that "unless you've actually studied them, are nearly impossible to get your head completely around." Which team won their respective sport's championship in what year, or who played for what team, or what position they played, or anything like that.

Sports is just a massive body of information that I can't get myself into, even for the love of knowledge and trivia.
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

It is the most western state in India(if not mistaken). South of that, you have the Mumbai state(Maha-something) and the people here speak Marathi, and south of that is a dot of land/state called "Goa" (Portguese surnames for most of the Indians here).

GO down skip a few states and you reached the one closest to Sri Lanka/Ceylon and this one is called Tamil Nadu with the city of Madras(British naming)/Chennai(Indian naming). You can remember that they speak TAMIL (one of the official languages of Singapore and official language of Sri Lanka) from the state's name. GO back up on the eastern coast, skip all those states until you reach the "eastern corner of India", and you will have the state West Bengal(east of Bangladesh) and this is the state where Kolkata/Calcutta is.

That is what I remember and find that most people will need to know about Indian Geography. When you meet someone of Indian descent, it will be a great convo-starter as most people will be surprised that you know these stuff.

P.s. Don't ask Indian people how to say "such-and-such" in "Indian! As this is incorrect, and the same goes for Chinese!

Hope I helped!
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

marpocky wrote:Sports is just a massive body of information that I can't get myself into, even for the love of knowledge and trivia.
Same here. Not the only thing though.

Thanks for the India info too, CyrusChan.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

TenPoundHammer wrote:...
But, as it turned out on Thursday, clamming on FJ! wasn't too foolish, since the first answer I ruled out of a limited pool happened to be the right one — leaving me in the catch-22 of "wrong answer" or "no answer".
What wonderful hindsight you have!
OCSam
heisman65
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by heisman65 »

marpocky wrote:
heisman65 wrote:Math and science for me are like the Bible — an infinite body of knowledge that unless you've actually studied them, are nearly impossible to get your head completely around, unlike, say U.S. presidents, Greek gods or Super Bowl winners.

Interesting that you mention that, since I file it under things that "unless you've actually studied them, are nearly impossible to get your head completely around." Which team won their respective sport's championship in what year, or who played for what team, or what position they played, or anything like that.

Sports is just a massive body of information that I can't get myself into, even for the love of knowledge and trivia.
Lucky for you, and I'm guessing many others here, sports don't come up nearly as much as math and science. Plus they keep it pretty consistent in what they ask for when sports do come up — Hall Of Famers, modern stars, great teams, stadiums. And what they ask for in those sub-categories is pretty finite. For science and math, the ground seems to be forever shifting. Master your historical figures, and they throw technical terms or theorems at you. Get your noble gases down cold, and you get the alkalis. And on and on … such is the joy of Jeopardy! I guess.

BTW, there are only 46 Super Bowl winners, and many teams have won more than one, which are usually the ones that come up the most.
davey

Post by davey »

heisman65 wrote: I'm just saying it wasn't the gimme that some believe it was.
Isn't there someone who could say that about every clue? TPH reminds us of that all the time, and the other day I screwed up an FJ about the city where I live. That's why I'm not much interested in whether a clue is overvalued or undervalued, and I try to suppress my astonishment at some triple stumpers...
TenPoundHammer wrote: That said, even with Edie short for Edith, is there any record of her going by Edie?
Maybe Beau thought the end of her name was silent, as it would be in France if there was no "h." I would have asked him to repeat it, and if he didn't pick up the "t" or "th" sound would have reluctantly negged him...
Onairb wrote:
alamble wrote:
Roadgeek Adam wrote:
Also, Michael McDonald was undervalued and Michael Bolton was overvalued in my book.
Michael McDonald was valued just right; it's Michael Crawford who was undervalued, though Beau, as a student of musical theatre who studied in Scotland, probably should've gotten that one. (Sorry Beau, if you're reading this)
This edges the 'Larry Bird' response as the biggest 'D'OH!' of the night. If you don't know basketball, and just say the first name that comes to mind, it's understandable. I could even overlook saying 'The Lucy Show' instead of 'I Love Lucy'. However, a 'musical theatre guy' not knowing Crawford played the Phantom is like a baseball infan/'student of the game' not knowing which team(pick one), Ruth/DiMaggio/Mantle played for. There are some things that even people who supposedly know 'nothing' about a category would get...even 20-plus years later, Crawford would be that 'first name they could think of' for a lot of people in a 'Phantom' clue (like Robert Goulet was-eventually- synonymous with 'Camelot' in the '80s).
But if Crawford slipped his mind, Michael Ball, the response he gave, was not a bad guess. Ball was in Phantom (though he played Raoul), he's been in other Lloyd Webber shows since, and he's arguably a bigger theater star in the UK than Crawford. Not especially likely to come up on Jeopardy!, it's true...