TD 147: It's Elementary!

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

TD 147: It's Elementary!

Post by Woof »

Welcome to Think Different #147. I'm your host, Woof. The questions are all concerned with the chemical elements, their symbols and their organization in the Periodic Table, the great organizing principle of chemistry and one of the most important intellectual achievements in all of science. The rules of this competition are as follows:

1. The object of the game is to supply the least popular correct answers to the questions supplied.
2. Your score on any given question is equal to the number of people (including yourself) who supply that same answer.
3. An incorrect answer will be worth the score of the sheep (most popular) response plus 5 points.
4. The winner of the TD will that person who achieves the lowest cumulative score.
5. Each player can DROP one question for a score of zero by answering with 'DROP'
6. All answers should be provided to me by PM. Do NOT post your answers in this thread.
7. The deadline for submission will be 11:59 PM EDT on Sunday, April 8.
8. Any questions can be sent to me by PM.
9. In the event of a tie, the tiebreaker will be the number of singletons; should that fail to break the tie, the number of doubletons will be used, und so weiter.
10. As always, the answers should come from your own fevered imaginings. No books, Wikipedia, or phone-a-friend should be consulted in the formulation of your answers.

CAVEAT: As I will be traveling the length of New Zealand this week before departing Auckland on 15 April, the reveal may be a tad sporadic. Please bear with me and I will endeavo(u)r to keep the reveal moving in a timely fashion.

Lastly, of course, do not neglect Jeff286's most entertaining TD147: A Roof Spill before its deadline, whatever that may be. :D
Last edited by Woof on Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Woof

Re: TD 147*: It's Elementary!

Post by Woof »

List of Participants - Final Version:
earendel*
Paucle
Creed Bratton
crazymatt1
Austin Powers
TheSpiceWeasel*
gamawire
Magna
Peggles
dhkendall
seaborgium
Volante
Doug527
boson
jpahk
immaf
DadofTwins
tagNV
soxfan99
Aggron
TreehugginCowgirl
Bob78164
Uncle Jeff
ChemTeacher
econgator
debramc
RandyG
Vanya
goforthetie
amorris525
BigDaddyJ
Turd Ferguson
xxaaaxx
Bamaman
fowlerism
bomtr
jeff6286

* Please answer my PM
Last edited by Woof on Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:02 am, edited 7 times in total.
Woof

Post by Woof »

The Questions

1. Supply the name of an element that was named for a mythological figure.

2. Supply the name of an element that was named for a scientist.

3. Supply the name of an element that was named for its place of discovery.

4. Name an element that is gaseous at room temperature and one atmosphere of pressure.

5. Name an element that has a one letter atomic symbol on the Periodic Table.

6. Name an element whose atomic symbol isn't derived from its English language name.

7. Certain elements of like properties have been grouped together to form categories. Some of these categories are rows on the Periodic Table, some are columns and a few are neither. Name one of these categories. None of the names denote position of row or column. For purposes of this question, I will use those categories shown on the Wikipedia page on the chemical elements.

8. Name an element with an atomic number below that of Uranium (At. No. 92) that has no stable isotopes (i.e., all of its isotopes are radioactive).

9. Name one of the Lanthanide elements.

10. Name one of the 12 most abundant elements in the Earth's crust.

11. Name one of the 12 most abundant elements in the human body.

Edit: Fixed typo in question 9
Last edited by Woof on Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Woof

Post by Woof »

Errata/Corrigenda/Clarifications:

Question 1. An element that is named for something else that in turn was named for a mythical figure will only be deemed a correct answer if the "something else" bears the same name as the mythical figure. Thus, the element "Blimpyium" would be a correct answer as it was named for the mythical figure "Blimpy" even if the people naming it named it for a restaurant named "Blimpy" which in turn took its name from the mythical figure Blimpy. On the other hand, the element "Athenaeumium" if it were named for the Athenaeum would not be a correct answer, despite the Athenaeum having been named for Athena.
Last edited by Woof on Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
immaf

Post by immaf »

This is going to be fun! I'm pretty sure I know a correct answer for all the questions, so this will be a true test of my (lack of) ability to "Think Differently".
Teems with quiet fun.
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Woof wrote: Lastly, of course, do not neglect Jeff286's most entertaining TD147: A Roof Spill before its deadline, whatever that may be. :D
Thanks for the plug Woof. I went ahead and changed the name of my TD to TD 146.5, at least in the thread title, to hopeful minimize people getting confused by seeing two different threads both with TD 147 in the title.
gamawire

Post by gamawire »

Well, I'm quite sure I won't repeat my performance from the last TD, but I'm in! :lol:
"It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing." -- Seneca
Agggron
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Agggron »

I've never participated in one of these before - but what better way to start off than with a category in science? >:D
Peggles
Grand Exalted Queen of the Universe

Post by Peggles »

I've learned quite a bit about the periodic table on this board, between TD's and the SHC. I fear, however, that most of my answers will still be of the ovine variety.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

A misspelling in question 9 perhaps? I'm not going to do research on this one, for fear of ruining a wheelhouse, so I can't be certain.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

boson wrote:A misspelling in question 9 perhaps?
Yep
Woof

Post by Woof »

econgator wrote:
boson wrote:A misspelling in question 9 perhaps?
Yep
Indeed! Thanks for catching that. I thought for a moment you were advocating the alternative usage of "lanthanoid," which also works.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Forgot to use drop, got (I believe) exactly one wrong. Whoops!
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

seaborgium wrote:Forgot to use drop, got (I believe) exactly one wrong. Whoops!
I don't think anyone would have a problem with you perusing your list and dropping the one you think would most likely be your sheepiest.
Or Woof could just roll a D&D die and drop whatever number comes up?
soxfan99

Post by soxfan99 »

I clicked on the username of Woof to send a PM, was prompted to log in, then got the message "You are not authorised to view the member list or profiles." Now, the names of board members are not links. Anybody know how I get this authorization?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

One more approved post will do it (you need to make 3).
soxfan99

Post by soxfan99 »

In that case, here's post #3. Thanks.
Agggron
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Agggron »

Sent in my answers, but used the same element for more than one answer - not sure if that is allowed. Anyways, that was really fun! :)
Woof

Post by Woof »

Agggron wrote:Sent in my answers, but used the same element for more than one answer - not sure if that is allowed. Anyways, that was really fun! :)
No problem at all about using the same answer more than once... provided that it is a correct answer to both questions! :D
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Woof wrote:
Agggron wrote:Sent in my answers, but used the same element for more than one answer - not sure if that is allowed. Anyways, that was really fun! :)
No problem at all about using the same answer more than once... provided that it is a correct answer to both questions! :D
I remember gneq used to always try to have the same answer to two questions when he'd answer, and he'd do it rather successfully, too. I miss that.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012