Monday, April 16, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

debramc
Iced Mare Grub

Re: Monday, April 16, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by debramc »

teapot37 wrote:I guess I was in the generational sweet spot to have gotten both "Hey There Delilah" and Hal Holbrook.
I almost did. Holbrook was an instaget, but I didn't actually know anything about the Plain White Ts. When he said "Delilah" I knew it had to be that song though, and it's been in my head for about 8 hours now...
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

teapot37 wrote:I guess I was in the generational sweet spot to have gotten both "Hey There Delilah" and Hal Holbrook.
Same here. And LOL at Steven, I was wondering the same thing. Anyone seen my TRO?
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Got Haiti but clanked Arabian Desert, thinking of Sinai. Ran the Facebook category despite not having a Facebook page in this lifetime. The only songs I got were Saturday in the Park and Don't Fear the Reaper.
FJ I had absolutely nothing.
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Bamaman wrote:
Tough break for Judy, i noticed her quickly scribbling at the end. However, her bet put her at risk from being passed from behind by not covering third place. A shame though, that a small error cost her at least $21,100.
Wow, I didn't even notice that she was $100 short of covering 3rd, even though it didn't matter. I misread one of the scores and was thinking that she had bet to tie 3rd's doubled score, but forgot the $1 to cover. Michelle's bet wasn't really ideal either, since she would have fallen behind Trevor if they had both missed, but if you're going to be the only one to get it right, you can often bet however much you want.

I'm sure I wasn't the only one to have this thought, but this show definitely provided some highly entertaining fodder for the Sony board. Not only two threads about the FJ ruling, but another thread helpfully pointing out that Jeopardy! should "Check their facts!" and learn that Rosa Parks' famous bus ride was in 1955, not 1979. It reminds me of several recent threads pointing out that J! got the birth years wrong of all of the famous people in the Bar Mitzvah category on the 3/28 show. Oddly, the birth years were all off by right around 12 years.
marpocky

Post by marpocky »

During FJ, I was totally blank but I did a headslap as soon as Holbrook was revealed.

Bad, bad luck Judy! Hurts to go out that way.
marpocky

Post by marpocky »

jeff6286 wrote:I'm sure I wasn't the only one to have this thought, but this show definitely provided some highly entertaining fodder for the Sony board. Not only two threads about the FJ ruling, but another thread helpfully pointing out that Jeopardy! should "Check their facts!" and learn that Rosa Parks' famous bus ride was in 1955, not 1979. It reminds me of several recent threads pointing out that J! got the birth years wrong of all of the famous people in the Bar Mitzvah category on the 3/28 show. Oddly, the birth years were all off by right around 12 years.
Ya know, posts like this make me really glad I'm here. It also makes me appreciate TPH.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

alamble wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote: No clue on FJ! Who the Hal are they talking about?
This guy.

As soon as I finished reading the clue, I thought to myself, "that has to be Hal Holbrook, but isn't he dead?" I swear I thought he'd passed not long after Dixie Carter, but he is still with us.
The reports of his death are greatly exaggerated.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Upon pondering for slightly more than thirty seconds, I concluded that it is unlikely that any author would have the chutzpah to write of "becoming Mark Twain" in reference to one's own literary or comic achievements, simply because of the endless ridiucle that anyone in his right mind would realize he was inviting by doing so.
I'm smart and I want respect.
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Same here. Of course, the local easy-listening Clear Channel station keeps the "Delilah" song in heavy rotation. The T's did have a decent hit last year with "1234" (not to be confused with the Feist tune of the same title), sounded a lot like early Beatles.

FJ was a semi-instaget. I saw it and said "HUH?!?" then quickly rememered Harold was often shortened to Hal, then jumped on the Holbrook = Mark Twain thing. I didn't know he'd written a memoir, but that's neither here nor there.

And some of us use a splatter screen (didn't know that's what it was called, though). Used one yesterday when I fried bacon. (BTW -- never fry bacon without a shirt on. It's not pleasant.)

Knew the three revealed clues in 30's comedies, but then I watch a lot of old movies. Even those that don't probably know about It Happened One Night; in fact I think it was overvalued (and I thought Laurel and Hardy's was undervalued).
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

marpocky wrote:Ya know, posts like this make me really glad I'm here. It also makes me appreciate TPH.
Because even though I'm the village idiot of this forum, I at least know enough to read the clue and category and figure out how they got to that answer, instead of instantly calling out ZOMGWRONG?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

jeff6286 wrote:
Bamaman wrote:
Tough break for Judy, i noticed her quickly scribbling at the end. However, her bet put her at risk from being passed from behind by not covering third place. A shame though, that a small error cost her at least $21,100.
Wow, I didn't even notice that she was $100 short of covering 3rd, even though it didn't matter. I misread one of the scores and was thinking that she had bet to tie 3rd's doubled score, but forgot the $1 to cover. Michelle's bet wasn't really ideal either, since she would have fallen behind Trevor if they had both missed, but if you're going to be the only one to get it right, you can often bet however much you want.

I'm sure I wasn't the only one to have this thought, but this show definitely provided some highly entertaining fodder for the Sony board. Not only two threads about the FJ ruling, but another thread helpfully pointing out that Jeopardy! should "Check their facts!" and learn that Rosa Parks' famous bus ride was in 1955, not 1979. It reminds me of several recent threads pointing out that J! got the birth years wrong of all of the famous people in the Bar Mitzvah category on the 3/28 show. Oddly, the birth years were all off by right around 12 years.
The funniest thing on those boards is the fact that some guy named seaborgium does nothing but correct the posters' errors. I liked the person who said she wrote "Someone with the first name of Sam, forgot the last name, began with a C".

It really would have been funny if his full name was Samuel Harold Holbrook.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

jeff6286 wrote:
But another thread helpfully pointing out that Jeopardy! should "Check their facts!" and learn that Rosa Parks' famous bus ride was in 1955, not 1979. .
The year referred to when the person won NAACP's Spingarn Medal.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

legendneverdies wrote:
jeff6286 wrote:
But another thread helpfully pointing out that Jeopardy! should "Check their facts!" and learn that Rosa Parks' famous bus ride was in 1955, not 1979. .
The year referred to when the person won NAACP's Spingarn Medal.
I know that, and you know that, and I would imagine most of us reading this thread know that. For a while I was trying to help some of the Sony posters out by pointing out what they missed in cases like this, but now I'm feeling content to just sit back, read, and laugh. What can I say, I can be a bit of dick sometimes? I'll leave it to seaborgium to correct their errors, until he gets tired of it at least. Just think, we all (or most of us) used to post on that board, and alietr was probably hanging out here all by himself at jboard, laughing at us!
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

In all seriousness, there could probably be a pretty decent argument made that her intent was clearly to replace Samuel Clemons with Hal Holbrook, so perhaps the judges could give her some consideration, but assuming the show has always been consistent in rulings on cases like this, then they at least have a precedent to fall back on. Clearly, Samuel Hal Holbrook was not correct, and yes Bamaman, I had the same thought you did and I even checked to make sure that wasn't his given first name. However, a few days ago one player responded to FJ with "What is All's Well that Ends Well? Hi Mom + Brian!" Should she not have been ruled incorrect, since I'm pretty sure Shakespeare didn't make any shout-outs to his family members in any of his play titles? Is it okay because she wrote it after the question mark, meaning it clearly wasn't part of her response? Has anyone every been ruled incorrect in FJ because of a "Hi Mom!"-like greeting being mistaken for part of their response?
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

econgator wrote:Maybe I'm alone in this, but I thought that the "Hey There, Delilah" clue may be the most undervalued $200 clue ever. I've never heard of the writer, the band, or the song. Is it all that well-known?

No way I was making the jump from Harold to Hal in FJ.
Yes, for some reason it tends to stick in your head. It was on the radio at work today and it was stuck in my head for the better part of that hour.

If you say you haven't heard it before, you can't say that any more, because I'm sure you wouldn't have forgotten this:

(I missed it because there was too many things I didn't know about the song from the clue given. Also missed FJ because I had no idea that there was an actor that was known for playing Twain. Now I do.)
Bamaman wrote:
CyrusChan wrote:boy you gotta feel for Judy. Was surprised nobody got Haiti or Arabian Desert though.
I think part of the problem on Haiti was that they called it an "island country". While it is on an island, the country of Haiti is part of an island that includes another country.
Indeed, I don't like it when the show calls it that, as I was going through all the other French Caribbean islands (Guadeloupe? St. Bart's? No, they're all dependencies or parts of France proper ... ) If you want to be technical about it, every country is an "island country" by that definition (if you count continents as islands).

Was surprised at the Arabian miss as the clue was deliberately worded to avoid naming the eponymous peninsula - noticing the deliberately obtusely worded clue made it a rather easy get. (Again, that's Jeopardy 101, did none of them attend the class on "Spotting Strange Clue Wordings Can Pay Off"?)
StevenH wrote:I think that it was undervalued just because most contestants are older and because the clue required the exact wording of the title, but yes, "Hey There Delilah" is a well known song and was very overplayed. When I saw the clue I couldn't help but wonder if Sarah Whitcomb knew it ;)
Was wondering if someone else would mention that. ;)
jeff6286 wrote:I'm sure I wasn't the only one to have this thought, but this show definitely provided some highly entertaining fodder for the Sony board. Not only two threads about the FJ ruling, but another thread helpfully pointing out that Jeopardy! should "Check their facts!" and learn that Rosa Parks' famous bus ride was in 1955, not 1979. It reminds me of several recent threads pointing out that J! got the birth years wrong of all of the famous people in the Bar Mitzvah category on the 3/28 show. Oddly, the birth years were all off by right around 12 years.
Yes, as soon as I saw what happened with Judy, I thought "Sony board outrage in 3, 2 ... " I decided to go there and see if I was actually correct, but I couldn't stay too much longer due to the outrage building in me (and *they* like to overuse the "angry" emoticon?) I only hope that their outrage does lead them to stop watching, as some have threatened, thereby raising the IQ of Jeopardy! viewers.
Bamaman wrote:The funniest thing on those boards is the fact that some guy named seaborgium does nothing but correct the posters' errors.
Indeed, every time I saw a post by him, I was cheering for this seaborgium fellow, whoever he is. He definitely deserves a medal for that kind of patience, the only question is whether it's a Spingarn medal or the Nobel Peace Prize medal? ;)
jeff6286 wrote:I know that, and you know that, and I would imagine most of us reading this thread know that. For a while I was trying to help some of the Sony posters out by pointing out what they missed in cases like this, but now I'm feeling content to just sit back, read, and laugh. What can I say, I can be a bit of dick sometimes? I'll leave it to seaborgium to correct their errors, until he gets tired of it at least. Just think, we all (or most of us) used to post on that board, and alietr was probably hanging out here all by himself at jboard, laughing at us!
No, this board wasn't created until a few months after Sony's went down (just compare "joined" dates), we all (eventually) found the place, by the time Sony's went back up we were all pretty well ensconced here. (Plus it won't let the Canadians back, probably because we're all too smart for that crowd.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

I spent about 25 seconds trying to remember who in tarnation was married to Dixie Carter.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

dhkendall wrote:If you say you haven't heard it before, you can't say that any more, because I'm sure you wouldn't have forgotten this:
That was a hit? Hmmm.

I still stand by my assertion that all music post-1984 is crap.
thenextofken

Post by thenextofken »

Instaget for me on FJ. Somehow I remembered that Holbrook had portrayed Mark Twain in a one-man show. Otherwise, would've had no clue. Probably would've searched my mind for someone named "Harry," and then write "Harry Potter" just to have something to say. :D
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I messed up Delilah and the FJ clue. For the song I said just, "Delilah" and as soon as the contestant was ruled incorrect I knew what I needed to add. For the FJ clue I spent all of think time unable to recall his name as I instantly knew who I wanted. I tried Magnum Force, Into The Wild, Water for Elephants and none of those could get me to the actor's name. Shortening Harold to Harry didn't do it. I could tell I would not get the name in time, so think time was mini torture but not agony.

If the name would have come to me in time I would have needed the judges help as I suspect I would have tried, "Hallbrook." Judges?

Tough break for Judy as she was so close to the third win. The judges hands were tied.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I got both "Hey There Delilah" and Hal Holbrook. Hal Holbrook I only knew because of his Oscar nomination a few years ago (Into the Wild), which got him some attention for being the oldest male acting nominee (a record which still stands); I learned from the ensuing news coverage that he had played Deep Throat and Mark Twain. I've blanked on his name once or twice in regular clues since then, which always helps me solidify data in my mind.

Be back, I need to disabuse some people at other message boards of their faulty notions.