Monday, April 16, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: Monday, April 16, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Volante »

econgator wrote:
dhkendall wrote:If you say you haven't heard it before, you can't say that any more, because I'm sure you wouldn't have forgotten this:
That was a hit? Hmmm.

I still stand by my assertion that all music post-1984 is crap.
Ahh, a fan of The Archies I see.

I have, apparently, never heard that Delilah song before. Not even a glimmer of recognition.

I went with Abbott and Costello instead of L&H. Apparently I thought they were contemporaries. They weren't...(perhaps 'wives' was also a TOM I missed?) Other than that, I felt I could've swept that category.

FJ! was a total sit n' stare. 'Harold Pinter' just to have something, (yes, I know he died before 2011), but never would've gotten it.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote:If the name would have come to me in time I would have needed the judges help as I suspect I would have tried, "Hallbrook." Judges?
Close, but ultimately, I'd say no.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

seaborgium wrote:Be back, I need to disabuse some people at other message boards of their faulty notions.
I'd prefer if you did the opposite (that is, remove the "dis")

(Yes, I know what he meant.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
marpocky
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by marpocky »

dhkendall wrote:
Bamaman wrote:
CyrusChan wrote:boy you gotta feel for Judy. Was surprised nobody got Haiti or Arabian Desert though.
I think part of the problem on Haiti was that they called it an "island country". While it is on an island, the country of Haiti is part of an island that includes another country.
Indeed, I don't like it when the show calls it that, as I was going through all the other French Caribbean islands (Guadeloupe? St. Bart's? No, they're all dependencies or parts of France proper ... ) If you want to be technical about it, every country is an "island country" by that definition (if you count continents as islands).
No problem with Haiti as an island country here. From (admittedly non-authoritative) Wikipedia: "An island country is a state whose primary territory consists of one or more islands or parts of islands." Haiti may not be on its own island, but so few countries (if any) have territory that precisely coincides with exactly one island. French-speaking + Caribbean + country = Haiti. Period. (BTW, there's no apostrophe in St. Barts)

And if you want to be technical about it, no, every country is *not* an island country because continents are, by definition, not islands. (Note to whomever: this one really *is* BY DEFINITION...as a mathematician it's a pet peeve of mine to see people misuse that.)
Last edited by marpocky on Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
davey

Post by davey »

It's worth pointing out that Hal Holbrook still tours in "Mark Twain Tonight." He's got a performance coming up on May 12 in Norfolk, Va. I saw him do it about 7 years ago on Broadway and he was magnificent.
Onairb

Post by Onairb »

lisa0012 wrote:I'm thinking both Hey There Delilah and FJ! are generational. That song was insanely overplayed on the radio, and anyone my age (I'm 30something) and younger would have found it simple. Hal Holbrook, meanwhile, became famous way before my time, and I had no idea what roles he was known for. So my theory is that most people 40ish (or maybe mid to late 30s?) and younger knew about Delilah but not Hal, and vice versa.
It's not really Pavlovian, but I might have come up with 'Hal Holbrook' if the clue had contained the word/TOM 'actor'. His one-man shows as 'Twain' are what he is best known for nowadays. Without that context, there's no way in 'Hal' to connect 'Harry' to Mark Twain. (For a split second at the start of the clue, I saw 'Harry' before I'd processed the rest, and thought it might have been a reference to JK Rowling...until 'his memoir' and 'Mark Twain' appeared.
Last edited by Onairb on Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

teapot37 wrote:I guess I was in the generational sweet spot to have gotten both "Hey There Delilah" and Hal Holbrook.
What spot does that put me in, that I missed both?

I have heard of Hal Holbrook, mostly as "the actor always confused for Hal Linden". Of course, I never confused him for Hal Linden 'cause I watched Barney Miller.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Onairb wrote:
lisa0012 wrote:I'm thinking both Hey There Delilah and FJ! are generational. That song was insanely overplayed on the radio, and anyone my age (I'm 30something) and younger would have found it simple. Hal Holbrook, meanwhile, became famous way before my time, and I had no idea what roles he was known for. So my theory is that most people 40ish (or maybe mid to late 30s?) and younger knew about Delilah but not Hal, and vice versa.
It's not really Pavlovian, but I might have come up with 'Hal Holbrook' if the clue had contained the word/TOM 'actor'. His one-man shows as 'Twain' are what he is best known for nowadays. Without that context, there's no way in 'Hal' to connect 'Harry' to Mark Twain. (For a split second at the start of the clue, I saw 'Harry' before I'd processed the rest, and thought it might have been a reference to JK Rowling...until 'his memoir' and 'Mark Twain' appeared.
:?: Where did you see Harry? The name used in the clue was Harold.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

jeff6286 wrote: :?: Where did you see Harry? The name used in the clue was Harold.
It's not a big leap to go from Harold to Harry. I was all over derivatives of Harold myself. Harold... Harry... Henry... Hank... Hubert... (just kidding about the last one, but by then I was grasping at straws and my 30 seconds was up.)

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

I don't think the Harold/Hal distinction would have made that much difference in whether you got FJ or not, either you knew that Holbrook was the guy who did the one man shows as Twain or you didn't.

The speed with which one grasps a clue does make a difference. Judy wouldn't have had her mishap if she had interpreted the clue clearly at the outset.

I was surprised at the unemployment TS.
Sage on the Hudson

The Celebrated jumping fraud of Calaveras County

Post by Sage on the Hudson »

alamble wrote:As soon as I finished reading the clue, I thought to myself, "that has to be Hal Holbrook, but isn't he dead?" I swear I thought he'd passed not long after Dixie Carter, but he is still with us.
I'm still trying to figure out how Frederic March could have written a memoir published a couple of years ago...
davey

Post by davey »

Onairb wrote: It's not really Pavlovian, but I might have come up with 'Hal Holbrook' if the clue had contained the word/TOM 'actor'. His one-man shows as 'Twain' are what he is best known for nowadays....
It seems like most in this thread are complaining that he's not known for doing Mark Twain anymore...
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Who you gonna call?

Post by dhkendall »

Sage on the Hudson wrote:
alamble wrote:As soon as I finished reading the clue, I thought to myself, "that has to be Hal Holbrook, but isn't he dead?" I swear I thought he'd passed not long after Dixie Carter, but he is still with us.
I'm still trying to figure out how Frederic March could have written a memoir published a couple of years ago...
He had was a ghost writer.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Re: Who you gonna call?

Post by Paucle »

dhkendall wrote:He had was a ghost writer.
I thought that was Nicholas Cage?
bpmod
Rank

Re: Who you gonna call?

Post by bpmod »

dhkendall wrote:He had was a ghost writer.
in the sky?

Brian

John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Doug527 wrote:That. Was. AGONIZING.
Agreed. I can't recall another game in which someone lost because of failing to cross out part of FJ like that. Anybody else recall a similar endgame?

Meanwhile, my brain continues its new and distressing habit of failing to make that last leap/connection of synapses. I've seen Holbrook's Twain many times, and even had a visual of him doing the routine, and just could. not. connect. Harold WHO??? Of course I dope-slapped myself silly at the reveal. Maybe I'm just losing it.
HugoZ
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by HugoZ »

John Boy wrote:
Doug527 wrote:That. Was. AGONIZING.
Agreed. I can't recall another game in which someone lost because of failing to cross out part of FJ like that. Anybody else recall a similar endgame?
Who are the Hibernians?
jkbrat
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jkbrat »

Bamaman wrote:
CyrusChan wrote: Was surprised nobody got Haiti or Arabian Desert though.
I think part of the problem on Haiti was that they called it an "island country". While it is on an island, the country of Haiti is part of an island that includes another country.
I agree; the island part kind of threw me off as well.

If it had been French-speaking Caribbean country, I would have said Haiti,
but with French-speaking Caribbean island country, I went with Martinique (which, it turns out, is not really a "country" after all). C'est la vie :cry:
Last edited by jkbrat on Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There are times I almost think I am not sure of what I absolutely knooooooooo-OW

Learn, Review, Repeat

A Archipelago
jkbrat
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jkbrat »

MarkBarrett wrote:I messed up Delilah and the FJ clue. For the song I said just, "Delilah" and as soon as the contestant was ruled incorrect I knew what I needed to add.
But "Delilah" isn't really incorrect, more like just incomplete (and a very anticipatable incomplete, at that).
Seems like a good candidate for a BMS, n'est-ce pas? (Oh, sorry - still off on a French-speaking Caribbean island this morning ...)
There are times I almost think I am not sure of what I absolutely knooooooooo-OW

Learn, Review, Repeat

A Archipelago
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

jkbrat wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:I messed up Delilah and the FJ clue. For the song I said just, "Delilah" and as soon as the contestant was ruled incorrect I knew what I needed to add.
But "Delilah" isn't really incorrect, more like just incomplete (and a very anticipatable incomplete, at that).
Seems like a good candidate for a BMS, n'est-ce pas? (Oh, sorry - still off on a French-speaking Caribbean island this morning ...)
I think she was BMS'd...or possibly Alex paused before ruling her wrong...but I'm going off memory here.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)