New old games in the J! Archive

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by Robert K S »

It looks like the returning champ in that game is now an AUSA in Florida. Google also turns up this blurb from a summer 1988 fraternity newsletter:
THEODORE M. COOPERSTEIN '84 reports that he has spent a year as a law clerk to Judge Morris "Buzz" Arnold on the federal trial court in Fort Smith. "Between law school and clerking, I flew down to L.A. and competed on five episodes of the gameshow Jeopardy, winning $32,500. Depending on how I compare to the rest of the season's winners, I could go back in the fall for hte tournament of champions (fingers crossed)." Ted was planning to take the bar exam after Memorial Day--both the New York and New Hampshire exams... Drop "The Coop" a line at [address in Fort Smith, AR].
It looks like he would have competed against the likes of Leah Greenwald, Mark Lowenthal, Bruce Seymour, Michael Rankins, Barbara-Anne Eddy, Bruce Naegeli and Kate Waits in the 1988 ToC if he hadn't been edged out by 4-time, $49,401 champion Ron Trigueiro (not to mention Michael Shutterly and unknown others) for the last slot in that tournament.

More significantly, one of the two losing challengers is Denny Golden, who shares a name, if not total identity, with the winner of the '74 ToC in the Fleming era.

The game (or what there is of it) is now in, here. Notes of interest: the last clue of POTPOURRI was just a continuation of the adjacent category about where presidents went to college, with the correct responses just being the first 6 presidents in order. Apparently Sharon had hit a neg earlier in the game with a response of "Who is Barbra Streisand?" (See AWARDS $200.) In TV $400, Sharon was credited with a response of "What is McHale's Navy?" in a clue just asking for McHale, further proving that how longstanding the rule has been that additional information does not make a response unacceptable so long as the additional information is not incorrect (see debate over the Friday 2015-07-25 Final). Before Final, Johnny Gilbert asked for postcards bearing the names, addresses, phone numbers, and ages of teenagers interested in appearing in the 2nd Teen Tournament. The credits chat took place behind the lecterns, with no thought to proper blocking--audience members only got a view of the back of Den's rather large frame blocking view of the other players. On the whole, the material was much easier than a modern game.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Third place won a phone and answering machine? That was worth the trip from wherever Sharon came from.

Glad you got in what was there, but I hate seeing games where a player's full name isn't even known. Maybe the rest of it will be uncovered one day. I like how you gave Sharon a neg in the first round for Barbra Streisand.

Just eight more to hit 5,000 games in the archive. We get five more next week to finish the season and then we'll see what Mark can pull out for us to reach 5K.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Bamaman wrote:I like how you gave Sharon a neg in the first round for Barbra Streisand.
The neg was to get the scores to match up--wasn't thinking expressly about her (later-known) Streisand issues. But had to do something to get her in the red, which was where she started on the tape.

I'm wondering if the original recorder of this game rushed to start the tape going once he or she realized (likely after the interview portion) that "Den" was the Fleming-era ToC winner.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I was strolling through the Jeopardy Facebook page enjoying everybody crying about Scott's run on the show and came across an interesting story.

Someone posted a link to a story they had seen on reddit. It seems someone is trying to find a tape from the Fleming era. Here is a link and what was posted.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Jeopardy/comments/3eekg4/can_you_help_us_find_a_jeopardy_tape_from_the/

Hi Redditors,

I have a favor to ask. The mother of one of my best friends was on Jeopardy in the early 1970s (we think 1972 or 1973) when Art Fleming was the host. She is sadly declining quite quickly now with metastatic, stage 4 breast cancer. Her filming would either be under Jane Mailman or her maiden name, Jane Blechner.

I'm hoping there's an archive copy of the show somewhere out there on the interwebs or in somebody's attic. We'd be infinitely grateful to be able to watch her 30 minutes of fame with her. If you have any ideas, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!!

Anyway, the post on Facebook got a reply from the Facebook account Jeopardy!, which I assume is someone connected with the show.
Hi, Allen. If this story is the same as what we're thinking, we've been contacted by the son and gave him the proper steps to retrieve the footage.
Now, exactly how is anyone with the current show going to help this guy find the episode he is looking for? Very few complete episodes, if any, from the Fleming version exist. The ones I've seen on youtube are of poor quality and I don't think NBC even has complete records of what happened on every episode.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

What else could the proper steps be but (1) acquire vintage DeLorean, flux capacitor; (2) show up at 30 Rock, studio 8G on airdate; (3) shout, "Hey, please don't re-use that tape for today's Days of Our Lives"; (4) seize said tape and abscond with it back to present time?

Even finding the right date is liable to take weeks at the Library of Congress if all you have to go on is "early 1970s".
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Robert K S wrote:What else could the proper steps be but (1) acquire vintage DeLorean, flux capacitor; (2) show up at 30 Rock, studio 8G on airdate; (3) shout, "Hey, please don't re-use that tape for today's Days of Our Lives"; (4) seize said tape and abscond with it back to present time?

Even finding the right date is liable to take weeks at the Library of Congress if all you have to go on is "early 1970s".
So, what you're saying is it'll take weeks to figure out what date to set the DeLorean's destination to? Doesn't sound too promising.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Robert K S wrote:What else could the proper steps be but (1) acquire vintage DeLorean, flux capacitor; (2) show up at 30 Rock, studio 8G on airdate; (3) shout, "Hey, please don't re-use that tape for today's Days of Our Lives"; (4) seize said tape and abscond with it back to present time?
(1) acquire vintage DeLorean, flux capacitor; (2) use knowledge of past sporting events to win millions of dollars gambling; (3) purchase NBC and change the tape re-use policy; (4) return to the present and enjoy Art Fleming J! reruns on GSN until they take them off because they're not rating as highly as Steve Harvey's "Family Feud."
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

trainman wrote:...(4) return to the present and enjoy Art Fleming J! reruns on GSN until they take them off because they're not rating as highly as Steve Harvey's "Family Feud."
That's why we have DVRs and the 2AM slot.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Page 3 for this thread? Not this week. I did not know that because I took a week off that a lot of the regular archivists for the new games would take a week off as well. ;)

I have added 12/15/88: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4995

The trap the players fell for in SPORTS $500 seemed obvious to me even thought Alex could not figure it out.

The FJ! round is another example of judging with a soft touch back in the day.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

MarkBarrett wrote:Page 3 for this thread? Not this week. I did not know that because I took a week off that a lot of the regular archivists for the new games would take a week off as well. ;)

The trap the players fell for in SPORTS $500 seemed obvious to me even thought Alex could not figure it out.

The only thing I can think of is they were assuming a missing apostrophe. Then it makes sense.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Yes, Alex, she did not need an "s" because there isn't supposed to be one. You can assume all the apostrophes you want, but she spelled the man's name wrong. Lee got screwed and all he got was a trip on a now-defunct airline.

I got Sports $500 as it seemed pretty obvious even without hearing the quote before. Alex not getting why they went with the Pennsylvania teams may be a generational thing, as Alex is old enough to remember when that company was much bigger and more prominent than it was in 1988.

You'll probably get complaints for not using quotation marks for the $400 fat guy's name.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bamaman wrote:
You'll probably get complaints for not using quotation marks for the $400 fat guy's name.
Thanks, it's fixed. That guy has been nothing but trouble for me lately.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

alietr wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:Page 3 for this thread? Not this week. I did not know that because I took a week off that a lot of the regular archivists for the new games would take a week off as well. ;)

The only thing I can think of is they were assuming a missing apostrophe. Then it makes sense.
Nah. We've been told over and over that you don't get penalized for giving the plural when the clue points to the singular.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MarkBarrett wrote:I have added 12/15/88: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4995

How did Alex read the name R. Kahn?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

MinnesotaMyron wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:I have added 12/15/88: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4995

How did Alex read the name R. Kahn?
Roger Kahn (last name like Wrath of :) )

Bamaman: Lee is a woman. No guy would guess Phillies on that clue. ;)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Good grief. January 10, 1989 is filled in: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4996

Dianne from England via Wales was sure easy on the ears not to mention the eyes.

The game tried to be a mbclev special. I was not sure how to handle what I added to KID STUFF $300.

HOLLYWOOD MARRIAGES $600: Still married.

There was almost an across the board stumper category that had some questionable valuing.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MarkBarrett wrote:Good grief. January 10, 1989 is filled in: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4996

Dianne from England via Wales was sure easy on the ears not to mention the eyes.

The game tried to be a mbclev special. I was not sure how to handle what I added to KID STUFF $300.

HOLLYWOOD MARRIAGES $600: Still married.

There was almost an across the board stumper category that had some questionable valuing.
I do believe that Harry Eisenberg alludes to that Wine - Women - Song category triplet in Inside Jeopardy!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

You've got to give us a clip of Dianne, that princess of Wales, instead of teasing us like that.

I got FJ, but I did consider the other guy mentioned. But
Spoiler
I figured the guy they went with would have been better known prior to the Olympics (he was second in 1956) and the other guy probably wasn't the type they'd use as a flag bearer at that time.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bamaman wrote:You've got to give us a clip of Dianne, that princess of Wales, instead of teasing us like that.

I got FJ, but I did consider the other guy mentioned. But
Spoiler
I figured the guy they went with would have been better known prior to the Olympics (he was second in 1956) and the other guy probably wasn't the type they'd use as a flag bearer at that time.
Okay, here is the clip. Don't tell Zach or he'll give her a cigar in the comments.
Spoiler
I solved the FJ! clue the same way.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MarkBarrett wrote:Good grief. January 10, 1989 is filled in: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4996
If the clue about The Incredible Journey required a BMS on "cat," I get a neg because the cat was a Himalayan in the 1993 movie. Or not, since I wouldn't have been misled by the 1993 movie in 1989.