New old games in the J! Archive

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by Bamaman » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:04 am

There seems to be a date issue for this game. Jerry Frankel's fifth game is listed as being right before this game, which included a returning one-day champ.

I did a google search for "Michael Pick Arcadia CA" and got this.

https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/31889496/

I didn't want to sign up for a free trial to read the article, but the link given after I googled it said one of the winners was a Michael Pick. The headline said it was some bank contest for high school seniors. In the interview he said he was 25 and was introduced as an auditor. So if he was a senior in 1977 with an interest in banking, being an auditor at 25 in 1985 would line up.

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:19 pm

MinnesotaMyron
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by MinnesotaMyron » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:28 pm

Bamaman wrote:There seems to be a date issue for this game. Jerry Frankel's fifth game is listed as being right before this game, which included a returning one-day champ.
I reckoned the date based on Liz's other game already in the archive. December 31, 1984 appears in the Final Jeopardy resource, and does not match this game, so Liz's 4th game is wrong too.

Or else the resource has some screwy early dates in it, since I searched the board and found the discussion about the dating of Liz's 4th game. I don't know. Michael Pannoni dated it 1985 on his DailyMotion page.

jlgarfield
Valued Contributor

Post by jlgarfield » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:37 pm

The 3/12/1992 episode is up in the Archive now; it was uploaded by one of the contestants who was on that episode.

The very next day, though....
SpoilerShow
The champion on that episode was ousted by Phil Yellman, who would go on to win five games on his own.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:45 pm

MinnesotaMyron wrote:
Bamaman wrote:There seems to be a date issue for this game. Jerry Frankel's fifth game is listed as being right before this game, which included a returning one-day champ.
I reckoned the date based on Liz's other game already in the archive. December 31, 1984 appears in the Final Jeopardy resource, and does not match this game, so Liz's 4th game is wrong too.

Or else the resource has some screwy early dates in it, since I searched the board and found the discussion about the dating of Liz's 4th game. I don't know. Michael Pannoni dated it 1985 on his DailyMotion page.
I understand you were dealing with what information you had. I watched part of the video and it seems odd Alex never said it was New Year's Eve. Unless, of course, the show didn't start airing the same day in all markets and they avoid commenting on the day to not confuse people.

jlgarfield
Valued Contributor

Post by jlgarfield » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:33 pm

The 2/12/1992 episode is being entered in the Archive.

jlgarfield
Valued Contributor

Post by jlgarfield » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:41 pm

^ The above ep is up in full, as is the next show, the 2/13/1992 ep.