New old games in the J! Archive

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: New old games in the J-Archive

Post by econgator »

Bamaman wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:April 10, 1992 is now in the archive: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3960

Check out what happens from clue 16-25 in the DJ round.

If you don't get Age of Chivalry $800 then you have to write his name 10 times on the chalkboard.
I didn't get it, what were you talking about? Is there some joke I'm not getting?
He ran that section of clues (click on the Game Scores link at the bottom -- makes it easier to see).
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

econgator wrote:
Bamaman wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:April 10, 1992 is now in the archive: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3960

Check out what happens from clue 16-25 in the DJ round.

If you don't get Age of Chivalry $800 then you have to write his name 10 times on the chalkboard.
I didn't get it, what were you talking about? Is there some joke I'm not getting?
He ran that section of clues (click on the Game Scores link at the bottom -- makes it easier to see).
And if it was the Chivalry mention you didn't get it was not that long ago that the response was used as part of the extra clues in the weekly poll. J! likes to use the name.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

You can also see it in the graph at the bottom.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Jill Bunzendahl-Chimka #4 is in the archive: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1163

The performance in National Book Awards was embarrassing since there was nothing obscure or uncommon in there.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MarkBarrett wrote:Jill Bunzendahl-Chimka #4 is in the archive: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1163

The performance in National Book Awards was embarrassing since there was nothing obscure or uncommon in there.
Well, I knew Pynchon, but NHO the other 4.

Also, that FJ! was cake.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Jill's game #5 is in to complete her regular run: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1456

The FJ segment show shows how to go out in style where YouTube can do it better justice than just the archive.

The J! round shows what can happen even to a 4-time champ when the buzzer timing is a hair off and you draw a double dose of very capable opponents. Marc would have been a champ in many other games, but lady luck got him in this one.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Spoiler
I wonder if Guadeloupe would be accepted as the correct response to Final? (Originally had Fr. Guiana, but realized later that Guadeloupe is further west). It is considered a region of France, but if the overseas regions are counted, there are 27, not 22.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

dhkendall wrote:
Spoiler
I wonder if Guadeloupe would be accepted as the correct response to Final? (Originally had Fr. Guiana, but realized later that Guadeloupe is further west). It is considered a region of France, but if the overseas regions are counted, there are 27, not 22.
Are the regions of France comparable to U.S. states? If they are, then that seems like a strange clue, because I don't think they would ever ask which of the 48 U.S. states extends farthest West. (Which would obviously be Hawaii, of course)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Yeah, but look at a map of France. It's pretty obvious.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

alietr wrote:Yeah, but look at a map of France. It's pretty obvious.
But that's the thing, what does this "map of France" show, all the regions, or just the European ("metropolitan") ones? (I'd guess that many, if not most, "maps of France" just show metropolitan France.) If I understand things correctly, regions like French Guiana and Reunion are as much part of France as Alaska and Hawaii are part of the US, but many people don't seem to make that distinction, probably because they are much further away from France than AK and HI are from the US (and AK is also North American as well - HI is, I believe Oceanian, but it seems to be as far away from most of Oceania as it is from California.)

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

This episode originally aired a week before my tape day. For 10 years now I've assumed that the FJ was just unusually hard. But now the TOM seems perfectly obvious, even if it isn't necessarily particularly helpful.
Spoiler
The westernmost region of France would be one that extends close to Britain. Hence, Brittany.
Not a perfect clue by any means, but very slightly less hard than it looks at first glance.

-M
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

France has regions? News to me.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Every sizable spread of land does, really.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

seaborgium wrote:Every sizable spread of land does, really.
Yes, but specifically designated ones?
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

TenPoundHammer wrote:France has regions? News to me.
Waddya THINK France was divided up into (like Canada into provinces and territories and the USA into states), baguettes?

TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

dhkendall wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:France has regions? News to me.
Waddya THINK France was divided up into (like Canada into provinces and territories and the USA into states), baguettes?
I didn't think it was big enough to warrant dividing up. I mean, it's like 6% the size of Canada.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MinnesotaMyron wrote:This episode originally aired a week before my tape day. For 10 years now I've assumed that the FJ was just unusually hard. But now the TOM seems perfectly obvious, even if it isn't necessarily particularly helpful.
Spoiler
The westernmost region of France would be one that extends close to Britain. Hence, Brittany.
Not a perfect clue by any means, but very slightly less hard than it looks at first glance.

-M
Which would be the wrong way to go by it since...
Spoiler
Nord-Pas de Calais is the closest region of France to Britain. Remember the 1940 evacuation of Dunkirk? There's a reason it was done from Dunkirk and not the region of Brittany.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Actually, in most cases the regions (states, provinces, districts) of a country were established before the country itself. The USA being a prime example.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

All of Gaul is divided into three parts.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Volante wrote:
MinnesotaMyron wrote:This episode originally aired a week before my tape day. For 10 years now I've assumed that the FJ was just unusually hard. But now the TOM seems perfectly obvious, even if it isn't necessarily particularly helpful.
Spoiler

-M
Which would be the wrong way to go by it since...
Spoiler
Nord-Pas de Calais is the closest region of France to Britain. Remember the 1940 evacuation of Dunkirk? There's a reason it was done from Dunkirk and not the region of Brittany.
Which is why I didn't say "closest to Britain."

-Myron