New old games in the J! Archive

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Jeff-thecdboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by Jeff-thecdboy »

pannoni3 has also posted the May 21, 1996 episode on Dailymotion:

http://dailymotion.com/michael-pannoni
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Jeff-thecdboy wrote:pannoni3 has also posted the May 21, 1996 episode on Dailymotion:

Not to usurp your updates, but May 22 was just posted too. I wonder what would have happened had Ann won on the 21st? Would Anne have still played on the 22nd?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

It is archived, but the 9-11 game is also up.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Bamaman wrote:It is archived, but the 9-11 game is also up.
I saw that too, but it only just now occurred to me that it was probably posted because the anniversary was tomorrow.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Jeff-thecdboy wrote:pannoni3 has also posted the February 21, 1996 (1996 College Tournament Semifinal #3) episode on Dailymotion:

And this one is done. http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5399

Brian Gondos vs. Vandana Madhavan vs. Bill Lee. Three sophomores. Couple of clues missing from the video in the first round, but otherwise complete.

Following up on my previous post, I wonder what would have happened if Brian had won, going on to face Bryan in the Finals?

A pretty easy entry. The whole game is just chock full of the kind of general knowledge you have to have as a base to be good at Jeopardy. Magyars; geodesic dome; Williamsburg, Virginia school; etc. Plus a few farther-out clues. Let's choose ANIMALS for $1000, a triple stumper.
This whale is known for its exceptionally long flippers, which may be 1/3 as long as its body
Spoiler
What is a humpback whale?
Per the Archive, whale + long flippers hasn't shown up since 2003, so it's due for a revival.

I've been filling in the eventuallys too, in case you've been waiting on them. One game left, which I can hopefully finish before the new season starts on Monday. Good night.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

So Venus has features named for women? That might come in handy. ;)

I don't understand why they tempt fate by having two people with the same name in tournaments like this. You can't tell me Brian and Bryan both had auditions that were head and shoulders above the alternate that it would be a crime to tell one of them "thanks for coming by".

Too bad two clues were missing, but we have 59 more than we did before. Maybe someone has the full tape to finish it off.
Jeff-thecdboy

Post by Jeff-thecdboy »

^Maybe Mark Barrett has the episode with those two clues intact. He'd be the best source to ask, if possible.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Jeff-thecdboy wrote:^Maybe Mark Barrett has the episode with those two clues intact. He'd be the best source to ask, if possible.
I think he checks this thread from time to time so he should see it.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bamaman wrote:
Jeff-thecdboy wrote:^Maybe Mark Barrett has the episode with those two clues intact. He'd be the best source to ask, if possible.
Yes, of course, I check this thread. I have filled in the two missing clues.

Myron: I read your PM through email yesterday, so I did not bother to sign on to J! Board to clear it until today. That is when I saw the additional portion of the message about the two missing clues. I am guessing you edited that part in later? Sorry, I did not see it until today.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MarkBarrett wrote:
Bamaman wrote:
Yes, of course, I check this thread. I have filled in the two missing clues.

Myron: I read your PM through email yesterday, so I did not bother to sign on to J! Board to clear it until today. That is when I saw the additional portion of the message about the two missing clues. I am guessing you edited that part in later? Sorry, I did not see it until today.
Thanks for filling in the missing clues. Your assumption about me editing the PM was also correct. I check mine by email first too, so that's a good thing to remember. I rarely use them, so I didn't realize you could edit them after the fact.
Jeff-thecdboy wrote:pannoni3 has also posted the July 5, 2002 (only the intro is archived so far) episode on Dailymotion:

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1657 John Kupec vs. Shelley Forbess vs. Ted Hsu

And this one has actually been done since this morning. Since I was at work, I wanted a game where the skeleton was already in, so I could get right to clue entry. This one had more video clues than I expected, but they played right away, so they didn't slow me down too much.

This game aired about a month after my shows taped, so I was curious if I kept a scorecard for this one. Turns out, this was the very last game I kept a regular scorecard for. At this point I realized, Hey, you're doing this for Jeopardy, which you've done, so you don't have to do it anymore. A bittersweet revelation, really. My Coryat score was $34,000, and it looks like everything I didn't know back then, I also didn't know last night, save for the expression "treading the boards" & what a CCU is in a hospital. :D

2 clues of the game, one from each round. In the J! round, THE MIDDLE EAST for $800:
This Hashemite kingdom's only port is Al-Aqaba on the Gulf of Aqaba
Spoiler
What is Jordan?
You gotta know "Hashemite" = this country.

In the DJ! round, PAPER (newspapers) for $1600
In 1990 newspaper Violeta Chamorro became the president of this country
Spoiler
What is Nicaragua?
And you gotta know "Chamorro" = this country. Chamorro is Jeopardy canon, showing up for the first time in the Super Jeopardy tournament, most recently in 2012, and almost a dozen times in between. Also worth noting is that Chamorro is also a language/ethnic group in the territory of Guam, so be prepared for that.

Have a great afternoon. The Vikings won, so that's something, right?
Last edited by MinnesotaMyron on Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

In 1990 newspaper Violeta Chamorro became the president of this country
Looks like I accidentally a word there.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Two games tonight, a couple more regular season games from 1996, from Michael Pannoni's DailyMotion page.

May 22 http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5402 Wes Hanson vs. Anne Keever Cannon vs. Brian Flanagan

& June 19 http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5401 is Mary Hirshfeld game 3, vs. Lyndia Lowy vs. Sally Cassil

. Anne and Brian were tied 1-day champs at the beginning of the May 22 game. Alex said they flipped a coin to see who would pick first/stand at the champion lectern. That tape cut out in the Double Jeopardy round in the middle of the BUSINESS & INDUSTRY for $1000 clue, and I didn't get Anne or Brian's response. If Mark has time to check if he can fill in the blank, that would be great. Also, I was very disappointed they didn't get to the last clue in the WHALES category; I was curious to see if it would be "long flippers". (Probably not, since there was a clue about humpback whales about 3 months earlier, per the Archive.)

I talk about how easy these games are to enter, but sometimes that means I have trouble finding a standout clue. Let's try WORLD HISTORY for $800 on May 22:
In 1236 this Russian who later defeated the Swedes at the Neva River became Prince of Novgorod
Spoiler
Who is Alexander Nevsky? "Neva River" is the big clue here (that's where his name comes from), but "Prince of Novgorod" and "defeated the Swedes" show up a lot, too.
And for the June 19 game, the Daily Double in HISPANIC HOLLYWOOD is pretty cool:
Her resume lists "Rockford Files" (Emmy); "The Ritz" (Tony); "West Side Story" (Oscar); "The Electric Co." album (Grammy)
Spoiler
Who is Rita Moreno?
Worth noting that "arboreal rodent" shows up twice in the span of 2 months as a descriptor for a
Spoiler
squirrel
, so maybe that missing clue would have been about humpbacks after all.

Gotta get back to work. 'Later. ;)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

MinnesotaMyron wrote:
May 22 http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5402 Wes Hanson vs. Anne Keever Cannon vs. Brian Flanagan

Anne and Brian were tied 1-day champs at the beginning of the May 22 game. Alex said they flipped a coin to see who would pick first/stand at the champion lectern. That tape cut out in the Double Jeopardy round in the middle of the BUSINESS & INDUSTRY for $1000 clue, and I didn't get Anne or Brian's response. If Mark has time to check if he can fill in the blank, that would be great.
No, sorry, I do not have that game on tape. :(
rmfromfla

Post by rmfromfla »

...and neither do I! :(
animfan
Valued Contributor

Re: New old games in the J-Archive

Post by animfan »

Ivoryface86 wrote:Steven Goldstein's episodes were aired on December 2-4, 1986. So December 4, 1986 would be the episode's OBD you're archiving but the archive team now thinks that it's December 11 you're about to archive but it's really December 4. Rmfromfla should be able to assist you and me about how many regular games were there in the first 2 batches of the season. Back in the old Sony board, I had calculated that there were 40 for batch 1 and 65 for batch 2 and the archive team had David/Barbara/J.C. Turner as the New Year's Eve 1986/the last episode of 1986 but Alex made no reference to J.C. being the last champion of 1986 though, Keith Bell was the last overall champion of 1986, so if rmfromfla, Jay Fisher, Trevor(animfan), or Jamie Locklin or even birthday man catnap can assist me, I'd say that Keith Bell's 5th episode and Justin Culkowski's first episode are 2 Thursdays from each other and not 1 Thursday from each other and I've been told by Jay Fisher that Frank Hughes' episodes were aired on December 10-16.
All of that is correct and I just uploaded December 12, 1986 (Frank Hughes game 3) along with December 5, 1986 and December 8, 1986 on my dailymotion channel so someone needs to change Steven Goldstein’s run to December 2-4, 1986.
Jeff-thecdboy

Post by Jeff-thecdboy »

^Animfan1 has posted the December 9 or 16, 1986 (I understand there's an airdate discrepancy for episodes around that time) episode on Dailymotion:

http://dailymotion.com/animfan11
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Jeff-thecdboy wrote:^Animfan1 has posted the December 9 or 16, 1986 (I understand there's an airdate discrepancy for episodes around that time) episode on Dailymotion:

http://dailymotion.com/animfan11
The resource has 12/18, 12/19 and 12/22/86, so perhaps we're getting closer to settling the discrepancy?

http://www.j-archive.com/collectedfinals.php
Jeff-thecdboy

Post by Jeff-thecdboy »

^That resource does confirm the following:

Debbie/Steve/Adrienne is December 12, 1986
Debbie/Phyllis/Chris is December 15, 1986
Phyllis/Maria/Eric is December 16, 1986
Frank/Dan/Pat is December 19, 1986
Jeff-thecdboy

Post by Jeff-thecdboy »

pannoni3 has also posted the March 5, 1992 (1992 Teen Tournament Finals #1, only the intro is archived so far) episode on Dailymotion:

moo43
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by moo43 »

[quote="MarkBarrett"]I've added another Season 7 game and this time Mark Wasley is more than just the one skeleton he previously had: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4926

22R in the J! round is Jennings-esque.

I got a chuckle by George getting INTERNATIONAL TRIVIA $800.

Could someone double check the Latin category, please?

I took a shot at trying to present how the DD in RESTING PLACES went down, but I doubt that is archive proper.

For Mark's FJ! clue response I am welcome to have other interpretations of what he wrote:

Mark's FJ! clue response:

I was aimlessly searching for my name on the internet and found that my second game on Jeopardy had been lovingly put out there on this site. Thank you! Per your questions below...1) the Latin category is correct; 2) that Daily Double for Final Resting Places can provide an interesting, albeit unflattering story about Mr. Trebek...which I doubt this site would appreciate; and 3) I was frazzled at the thought of actually getting a FJ correct in the loathsome Colonial America category and misspelled Pocahontas. I was focused on my miraculously recalling she had married John Rolfe and got ahead of myself on the spelling of her name. I knew it was wrong, but you can't break out your eraser and correct things like that. Once again, thanks for choosing one of my games to Archive. It's been 25 years since I appeared on Jeopardy!...sort of ancient history now. However, I am proud of the fact I got through so many games without throwing up...plus all that money...and a dishwasher...and those not-so-fabulous parting gifts. It really was a great (brief) ride. Mark Wasley