New old games in the J! Archive

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by dhkendall »

[email protected] wrote:
MinnesotaMyron wrote:
[email protected] wrote:I apologize if this is covered elsewhere and I have just been using the wrong terms to search, but how exactly does one add an new (old) game to the archive in the first place? I have game information I saved using the Wayback Machine from a now-defunct site and I'd rather it not disappear entirely (especially because I happened to be a contestant in the games). What exactly is the procedure here?
The games are entered manually by a team of archivists, usually from videos supplied by the players, or acquired elsewhere. If you were a player on season 20 (the season archived by Ronnie that inspired the archive we have now)(and I suspect this is the case, based on your username) I could possibly be convinced to enter the game from that source. We've done that too. I've got a link that that particular section of archive.org in my bookmarks.
I'm not entirely confident in my own powers of persuasion on the matter. I assumed this was a wiki-type system...if it's only a handful of people doing this I wouldn't want to trouble anyone. I am just well aware of the ephemeral nature of personal websites and thought it might be good to move Ronnie's content over.

Also, kudos on whatever detective work you did to determine my identity so quickly.
Don't think of it as a bother, we all archive because we enjoy it! If you (and this goes for anyone reading this) has anything that isn't archived yet, let an archivist know either through pm or this thread. Our goal is to make the archive as complete as possible and we can't do this without submissions from others!
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
[email protected]
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by [email protected] »

dhkendall wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
MinnesotaMyron wrote:
[email protected] wrote:I apologize if this is covered elsewhere and I have just been using the wrong terms to search, but how exactly does one add an new (old) game to the archive in the first place? I have game information I saved using the Wayback Machine from a now-defunct site and I'd rather it not disappear entirely (especially because I happened to be a contestant in the games). What exactly is the procedure here?
The games are entered manually by a team of archivists, usually from videos supplied by the players, or acquired elsewhere. If you were a player on season 20 (the season archived by Ronnie that inspired the archive we have now)(and I suspect this is the case, based on your username) I could possibly be convinced to enter the game from that source. We've done that too. I've got a link that that particular section of archive.org in my bookmarks.
I'm not entirely confident in my own powers of persuasion on the matter. I assumed this was a wiki-type system...if it's only a handful of people doing this I wouldn't want to trouble anyone. I am just well aware of the ephemeral nature of personal websites and thought it might be good to move Ronnie's content over.

Also, kudos on whatever detective work you did to determine my identity so quickly.
Don't think of it as a bother, we all archive because we enjoy it! If you (and this goes for anyone reading this) has anything that isn't archived yet, let an archivist know either through pm or this thread. Our goal is to make the archive as complete as possible and we can't do this without submissions from others!
Excellent! Well, then, consider this a formal request that the games that aired on December 29 and 30 of 2003 (and which are logged at http://www.jeoparchive.com/122903.html and http://www.jeoparchive.com/123003.html) be added to this archive for posterity, at the leisure of the archivists.
Regards,
Christopher
jlgarfield
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jlgarfield »

Jeff Jaech's Jeopardy game is still up if anybody wants to add it to the archive.

Oh, and Norm Burger's games are up (search YouTube for "Norman Burger Jeopardy", 9/27-29/1989), They are already in the archives, but his first game, at least in the archives, has the second clue (First Round, Songs That "Dont" for $200) missing, but the video available has it intact. The clue is:
Spoiler
The 2nd part of the title of this 1975 hit by Sugarloaf is "We'll Call You"
On another note, the correct answer is also
Spoiler
What is "Don't Call Us"?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Thanks for posting that. It had been online before, but there were technical issues in the recording during the first two clues so that is why there were problems. Fixed now.
jlgarfield

Post by jlgarfield »

^ Anytime. If there's any games in the archive that have missing clues and recordings of them turn up and have the clue intact, I'll try and be sure to pass it along. :)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

jlgarfield wrote:^ Anytime. If there's any games in the archive that have missing clues and recordings of them turn up and have the clue intact, I'll try and be sure to pass it along. :)

Most games like that usually have a notation saying a certain number of clues are missing or if there were other issues so they are easy to spot in the archive.
Jeff-thecdboy

Post by Jeff-thecdboy »

Animfan1 has just posted the 11/4/87 (Kate Waits game 2), 11/5/87 (Kate Waits game 3), and 11/6/87 (Kate Waits game 4) episodes on Dailymotion:

http://dailymotion.com/animfan11
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

From a set of 9 S10 games mailed to me I've added 9/22/93: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5227
The Talking Mime

Post by The Talking Mime »

Jeff-thecdboy wrote:Dailymotion user pannoni3 has posted the January 27, 1995 episode on their channel:

http://dailymotion.com/michael-pannoni
Pannoni has now uploaded four unarchived S1 games dated Sept. 28 and Oct 1/2/3, 1984. The last three in that list are Elise Beraru's first three games.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."
-Bertrand Russell
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5234

Here is the 9-28-84 game. It was your usual early game, with lots of applause (I counted 13 in the first round) and gasps of horror if someone got a clue wrong. Larry took full advantage of the ring in when you want rule by ringing in quickly on the first two categories of history and baseball to grab an early lead. Louise wasn't very aggressive on the buzzer and it cost her. That and a lot of chatter from the host left 11 clues unseen, including a Daily Double.

A couple tidbits of info....

Alex said due to a tie for second going into DJ!, he flipped a coin during the break to determine who went first rather than picking whoever was closer to him. Sounds more fair to me.

He also said if there was a tie for second after FJ!, whoever led going into that round got the second place prize.

FJ! answered how many zeros are in one trillion. Louise wrote the number out along with her question.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

The Talking Mime wrote:
Jeff-thecdboy wrote:Dailymotion user pannoni3 has posted the January 27, 1995 episode on their channel:

Pannoni has now uploaded four unarchived S1 games dated Sept. 28 and Oct 1/2/3, 1984. The last three in that list are Elise Beraru's first three games.
Great to see Elise's first appearances. She definitely rises above the level of a typical first-season J! contestant.

Alex calls her their all-time winner after her third game. Perhaps he said this because she was the first three-time champ, but he seemed to emphasize her total, which was less than Ed Osawa had won in two games just the previous week.
GoodStrategy
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by GoodStrategy »

Bamaman wrote:Alex said due to a tie for second going into DJ!, he flipped a coin during the break to determine who went first rather than picking whoever was closer to him. Sounds more fair to me.
I also think it's more fair how they used to determine who got which podium in the "lower" tournaments in the quarterfinals - random draw rather than alphabetical order by last name. (At least for the ToCs they've gone back to QF podium placement by winnings after doing alphabetical order for awhile.)
Jeff-thecdboy

Post by Jeff-thecdboy »

The Talking Mime wrote:

He just uploaded Elise Beraru's last two games of her original run and the Oct 8, 1984 game as well.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

seaborgium wrote: Alex calls her their all-time winner after her third game. Perhaps he said this because she was the first three-time champ, but he seemed to emphasize her total, which was less than Ed Osawa had won in two games just the previous week.
Alex corrected himself at the beginning of Elise's fourth game, mentioning Ed Osawa by name.

Her five-day total was surpassed within a month by John Genova, but if she had gotten all her FJs right, Elise's record would have stood until Frank Spangenberg's run.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

seaborgium wrote:
seaborgium wrote: Alex calls her their all-time winner after her third game. Perhaps he said this because she was the first three-time champ, but he seemed to emphasize her total, which was less than Ed Osawa had won in two games just the previous week.
Alex corrected himself at the beginning of Elise's fourth game, mentioning Ed Osawa by name.

Her five-day total was surpassed within a month by John Genova, but if she had gotten all her FJs right, Elise's record would have stood until Frank Spangenberg's run.
Alex said he left "several weeks ago". Which likely confused viewers since his final game had aired exactly seven days earlier. Also a bit odd making a big deal over being the all time money winner on a show that had played 18 games, though he may have been including the Fleming version in that count.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Bamaman wrote:Also a bit odd making a big deal over being the all time money winner on a show that had played 18 games, though he may have been including the Fleming version in that count.
Considering that a couple of clues (in an early Trebek game) were worth more than most winning totals in the Fleming era...

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Elise's 4th game was a two-player FJ. But the third contestant stayed on stage during FJ. Alex asked her (after both players wrong responses were revealed) if she knew it and she said "probably not".

Did players normally hang out on stage even if they weren't playing FJ in those days?

The non-playing player was introduced as a writer. I looked her up and found her web page. She doesn't mention being on the show, but she does mention her wedding on a volcano, which was her chat subject.

http://peggyhesketh.com/about
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Bamaman wrote:Elise's 4th game was a two-player FJ. But the third contestant stayed on stage during FJ. Alex asked her (after both players wrong responses were revealed) if she knew it and she said "probably not".
I am flabbergasted that was a double- (and probably triple-) stumper.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

teapot37 wrote:
Bamaman wrote:Elise's 4th game was a two-player FJ. But the third contestant stayed on stage during FJ. Alex asked her (after both players wrong responses were revealed) if she knew it and she said "probably not".
Drat, I likely goofed the same way. I forgot the second exception.
Spoiler
While leap years do occur every four years, they skip years divisible by 100, but THAT rule skips years divisible by 400. E.g., 1700, 1800 and 1900 are not leap years.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

teapot37 wrote:

If it had said between 1885 and 1901, they would have been correct. So maybe they knew about the "no leap year in 00 years" and forgot that ones divisible by 400 (such as 2000 or 2400) were still leap years.