New old games in the J! Archive

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by seaborgium »

IronNeck wrote:Someone should clean up the way the clue is entered in the box, then. At present, it's "divided by (quantity)", where said quantity evaluates to zero.

If instead it's just "divided by 4/7, then multiplied by 0", it's fine, but should be presented differently.
Here's the screenshot of the clue. The Archivists seem to have done as well as can be done.

Edit: oh I see; on J! Archive the line break comes after "divided by" instead of "the answer to".
Attachments
IMG_1838.JPG
IMG_1838.JPG (39.85 KiB) Viewed 10241 times
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

I added the hard line break too, if you think that makes it clearer. (Usually we don't.) I suspect the season 1 font package didn't include the ÷ sign.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I was the one who archived it to begin with. Sorry it was unclear.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

I filled in 5/24/02: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1097

The links work and inch by inch S18 is being completed. Daniel went off in the DJ! round as it's not everyday someone gets 10 in a row right.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MarkBarrett wrote:I filled in 5/24/02: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1097

The links work and inch by inch S18 is being completed. Daniel went off in the DJ! round as it's not everyday someone gets 10 in a row right.
I noticed as I was finishing up moving over Ronnie's Archive (It's complete now, by the way) a lot of clues that would have been useful for the most recent season of Learned League.
Doug E. Davis became "The Original Human Beat Box" with this new last name
would also have sure been useful to know a couple of weeks ago.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

One more to go on kingskip's DVD, since I just finished this one:

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5434

1995-B Seniors Tournament semifinal game 1, Graham Beard vs. Ange Cardinal vs. Phyllis Clark.
MinnesotaMyron wrote:I noticed as I was finishing up moving over Ronnie's Archive (It's complete now, by the way) a lot of clues that would have been useful for the most recent season of Learned League.
This game I just entered wrote:TEXTILES for $800: In its early stages, this Du Pont fiber was referred to as Polymer 66
THE MIDDLE AGES for $600: In the 13th century the German town of Halle joined this League
LL71 wrote:MD21 Q6: Produced in 1935 and first released in the marketplace in 1938, what thermoplastic was the first commercially successful, fully synthetic fiber?
MD06 Q3: The cities of Lübeck, Hamburg, Bremen, Riga, Königsberg, and Dortmund were among a confederation that was known collectively during the Late Middle Ages as what?
Spoiler
What is nylon?
What is the Hanseatic League?
Not identical, but still. Coincidences are fun.

-----

Clues of the game will both come from the TEXTILES category, neither of which I knew.
TEXTILES wrote:$400: Lillie Langtry helped popularize this fabric named for the British isle of her birth
$1000: Fabrics are sanforized to prevent shrinking & go through this process to add luster & strength
Spoiler
What is jersey?
What is mercerize?
Fabric + British isle is Pavlov for the first term. The second term is new to the archive as a response.

1 game on this disk to go, but this is the busy time of year for me, so no promises. Happy New Year to all!
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

Is it really possible to mercerize a fabric? Mercerization is usually done to a yarn made from a relatively weak fiber, like cotton. Once the yarn is woven or knitted, you can't really do much to increase its strength.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

MinnesotaMyron wrote:I added the hard line break too, if you think that makes it clearer. (Usually we don't.) I suspect the season 1 font package didn't include the ÷ sign.
FFR I think the better way to handle weird spacing in instances like these is to use non-breaking spaces ( ).
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Jeff-thecdboy wrote:Frank Patrick posted on YouTube the December 19, 1994 episode that he was on:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=28lgKhWGcJQ
http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5502

And this is now done. I started it on the overnight at work on Friday, but then things got busy.

Frank Patrick vs. Lena Nowak vs. Steve Angelo

I don't know how Frank kept his tape in such good condition for 20 years, but I'm thankful he did. There's a bit from his local newscast about his appearance at the very end of that YouTube video. Those are always cool.

2 clues new to the archive:
ENGLISH LIT. for $1000: It's believed that he began writing his unfinished dream-poem "The House of Fame" in the 1370s
ACTORS & THEIR ROLES for $1000: He played Janet Leigh's lover in "Psycho" before he became U.S. Ambassador to Mexico
Spoiler
Who is Chaucer?
Who is John Gavin?
WORLD GEOGRAPHY for $1000: Cities located on the banks of this river include Bismarck, Omaha & Kansas City
Frank made a reasonable guess of "Platte" for river + Nebraska city, but occasionally Pavlov gonna getcha, and in this case the other two cities were just as, if not more, important for the clue.
Spoiler
What is the Missouri River?
The painting mentioned in FJ is a pretty famous one. I bet most here can picture it in their minds. Surprisingly, it appears only one other time in the archive, in 2015. I wonder what other of his paintings are famous, but don't have famous names. For instance, the GIS brings up "The Problem We All Live With", which I've certainly seen, but did not know the name of. Interesting.

Challenge for Mark Barrett: Name all 3:
PRO FOOTBALL for $400 (J!): 1 of 3 San Francisco 49ers quarterbacks named NFL player of the year by the Associated Press
And finally, I'm just going to leave this here.
ANIMALS for $1000: This 2-humped camel has a longer coat than the dromedary
Last edited by MinnesotaMyron on Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

MinnesotaMyron wrote:
Jeff-thecdboy wrote:Frank Patrick posted on YouTube the December 19, 1994 episode that he was on:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=28lgKhWGcJQ
http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5502

Challenge for Mark Barrett: Name all 3:
PRO FOOTBALL for $400 (J!): 1 of 3 San Francisco 49ers quarterbacks named NFL player of the year by the Associated Press
I matched Steve in running the category and I knew all three QBs that played for SF. Thanks for getting a game in.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Thanks for getting it in. There is a slight typo of the year in the last First Ladies clue.

I got FJ. I agree his paintings are famous but not so much the names.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote:I knew all three QBs that played for SF. Thanks for getting a game in.
I had 2 1/2 of the 3. I knew the first name, but the last wouldn't come to me.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

econgator wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:I knew all three QBs that played for SF. Thanks for getting a game in.
I had 2 1/2 of the 3. I knew the first name, but the last wouldn't come to me.
Yeah, Montana always slips my mind too. ;)
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

And knocked out the final game on kingskip's DVDs, 1995-B Seniors Tournament semifinal game 2, Darryl Adams vs. Nola Wegman vs. David Cuneo. http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5435 . December 26, 1995.

I always enjoy when consecutively entered games in the archive contain duplicate clues or categories, even though they were played months or years apart. Both this game and the one I posted about a few hours ago had FIRST LADIES as categories in the DJ round. One name was duplicated between the 2 games, and in both cases it was match the year to the President to his wife: 1809 inauguration in the first case, War of 1812 in the second.
Spoiler
Who is Dolley Madison?
Also duplicated between the two games, sort of, I'll just leave this here:
ZOOLOGY for $400 (J!): This single-humped camel is also known as the Arabian camel
There's a commercial during this game for the now discontinued OTC painkiller Orudis KT. I was working retail when they stopped selling it. I'm still not sure why it was discontinued. I'm the only person who cares. (A bit of googling indicates that ketoprofen went back to prescription only, maybe. Good a guess as any. I imagine it irritates the stomach pretty badly, as NSAIDs are wont to do.)

Game show clue alert:
ODDS & ENDS for $1000: This almanac was first published in 1947 as an extension of a radio quiz show
Spoiler
What is the The Information Please Almanac
New to the archive is the novel "The Hand of Ethelberta", although the author is gettable thanks to another, less "Obscure" title in the clue.
Spoiler
What did Thomas Hardy write?
Since we were talking about foreign airlines a few pages back, let's have this one as clue of the game:
ODDS & ENDS for $600: 1 of only 2 airlines that offer flights aboard the Concorde
Spoiler
What is Air France or British Airways?
Clue is now out of date, of course.

An unfortunately timed incorrect guess by Nola at the end of DJ! put her $100 back going into FJ! Had she not, Jeopardy history would be quite different since the triple-get on an easy clue sent David to the Finals, the win, and the ToC the next year. For want of some "Oates", the battle was lost.

Thanks again so much to kingskip for providing these games for us. Quite a valuable resource. Now to back through this thread and pick up some more of those DailyMotion games.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Myron: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5435

There is no "i" in team, but there is an "i" in the surname of the Airport author. DJ#30

Thanks to you and kingskip for teaming up in getting so many games into the Archive.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

If Nola hadn't switched from the First Ladies category after getting the $800 right, she gets the DD instead of David. Granted, she didn't know it was there, but staying where she was probably gives her the game as well since the DD was pretty simple.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

MinnesotaMyron wrote:when consecutively entered games in the archive contain duplicate clues or categories, even though they were played months or years apart
There's a surprising amount of similar synchronicity between the year-old Daytime rerun and the new game each day. If you watch both games back-to-back you'll often have a strange sense of deja vu.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I filled in 6/18/02 and the links all work: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1541

"M" MARKS THE SPOT $600 has a TS clue for DHK.

MILITARY PROMOTIONS $1000 has a TS clue for econgator if not $3000 for running the whole category.

The DD in GOVERNORS had a clue when last name was good enough in 2002. In 2017 the contestant might want to specify.

Earthlink & CompServe in a clue's wording. :lol:
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Thanks for the new Season 18 game, Mark.

I'm just wondering if the earlier Season 18 games will also be filled in some time, since the last few that were added were late in the season.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

JayK33 wrote:Thanks for the new Season 18 game, Mark.

I'm just wondering if the earlier Season 18 games will also be filled in some time, since the last few that were added were late in the season.
I do not have all of the unfilled S18 games, with more gaps in the football months/early in the season, but today's input does not mean it's only June and later from now on. For me it was logical to move forward from the previous May request to find the next gap.

You can name an earlier game in the season you would like filled in and I'll try to do it by Presidents Day at the latest.