New old games in the J! Archive

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

legendneverdies
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by legendneverdies »

Kurt Bray posted the unarchived Kurt Bray game five from 1/7/94, to his Youtube page. As per the archive, he would have defeated Mickie Grover from the archived 12/31/93 game in their third game to win his first on 1/3/94.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

legendneverdies wrote:Kurt Bray posted the unarchived Kurt Bray game five from 1/7/94, to his Youtube page.
Thanks for the heads-up. Bray was one of my favorite players.
legendneverdies

Trevor Panno has the 1/28/1988 episode posted on their Youtube page(joined in progress at the 10th clue in the first round, the DD). Wonder if this is J! writer(at the time of these episodes)Carlo Panno or a relative of Carlo's posting these episodes?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

It's his son.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

It's always bummed me out that Carlo never found his way over to here.
legendneverdies

legendneverdies wrote:Trevor Panno has the 1/28/1988 episode posted on their Youtube page(joined in progress at the 10th clue in the first round, the DD). Wonder if this is J! writer(at the time of these episodes)Carlo Panno or a relative of Carlo's posting these episodes?
Trevor Panno has 1/29/88 in two parts up on his Youtube page.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

General comment on Trevor's uploads: I hope someone beats him to posting any other episodes he might have, or that he improves his methods a little.

Specific comments:
On the incomplete 9/28/88 video, Alex is kind enough to start his interviews of the challengers with their full names, occupations, and hometowns.

The 9/26 game shows how helpful a TDD could have been. Lennie hit a DD early in DJ, bet a fairly sizable $2,000 of his $3,400, and got it right. But late in the round, Steve hit a DD, bet $5,000 of $5,400, and vaulted to $10,400 over Lennie's $9,200. He jumped to $200 after that, which Lennie got, then time ran out. They both got FJ right, and Steve got a big payday. Now imagine Lennie had gone TDD. All else being the same, he would have led $10,600 to $5,400 when Steve hit his DD. Now Steve would pretty much have to TDD, and then jump up to $10,800. If the $200 clue comes next, and Lennie still gets it, they finish the round tied at $10,800, and quite possibly finish the game with $21,600!

Also, now that Bruce Seymour's games are in, I'd like to point out that if he'd gotten his fifth FJ right (and it looked like his miss was a 50/50 that went the wrong way), it would have made him the biggest winner between Chuck Forrest and Bob Blake.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

seaborgium wrote:General comment on Trevor's uploads: I hope someone beats him to posting any other episodes he might have, or that he improves his methods a little.
I didn't think they were too bad, other than the one with the audio problems. He seemed to be shooting a camera at his TV. The quality wasn't perfect, but it is a recording more than 26 years old, so I'll cut it some slack. My only suggestion would be that he leave the room while he is recording, as I could hear a little background noise, such as shuffling papers. I also swear I could hear someone say "stupid" when the lady in one of the games said Yorktown for a battle 87 years after the Declaration of Independence.

But it is much better than nothing at all and I didn't have any problems watching the videos except for that one.

If Steve had gotten FJ right in his last game, would he have had enough to make the TOC if he didn't win his fifth game? (I got that one right from a related FJ we had a couple years ago.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bamaman wrote:
If Steve had gotten FJ right in his last game, would he have had enough to make the TOC if he didn't win his fifth game? (I got that one right from a related FJ we had a couple years ago.
Steve was a 3x champ with 35,400. A correct response in game 4 would have given him 11,100 for $46,500. Last in for the 1988 TOC was Ron Trigueiro at 49,401 for 4 wins and the alternate at 4 wins and 49,200. Steve would have needed a fifth win to get in.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Bamaman wrote:
seaborgium wrote:General comment on Trevor's uploads: I hope someone beats him to posting any other episodes he might have, or that he improves his methods a little.
I didn't think they were too bad, other than the one with the audio problems. He seemed to be shooting a camera at his TV. The quality wasn't perfect, but it is a recording more than 26 years old, so I'll cut it some slack. My only suggestion would be that he leave the room while he is recording, as I could hear a little background noise, such as shuffling papers. I also swear I could hear someone say "stupid" when the lady in one of the games said Yorktown for a battle 87 years after the Declaration of Independence.

But it is much better than nothing at all and I didn't have any problems watching the videos except for that one.

While I haven't been watching Trevor's videos (but I hope some Archivist has and put the game up in the Archive, hint hint!) I would think that shooting it this way might also prevent the wrath of Sony legal, I understand that videos shot of a recording running on TV have a much better chance of surviving a C&D / You Tube Copyright claim than one where the direct video is posted.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

dhkendall wrote:
While I haven't been watching Trevor's videos (but I hope some Archivist has and put the game up in the Archive, hint hint!) I would think that shooting it this way might also prevent the wrath of Sony legal, I understand that videos shot of a recording running on TV have a much better chance of surviving a C&D / You Tube Copyright claim than one where the direct video is posted.
Yes, thanks to whichever archivist is getting these in.

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4697

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLy_IHWh14g

Using those links it's easy to see the other videos or what else is in the archive.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

All the games Trevor has posted seem to be in the archive except for the partial game.
legendneverdies

MarkBarrett wrote:
Bamaman wrote:
Steve was a 3x champ with 35,400. A correct response in game 4 would have given him 11,100 for $46,500. Last in for the 1988 TOC was Ron Trigueiro at 49,401 for 4 wins and the alternate at 4 wins and 49,200. Steve would have needed a fifth win to get in.
The alternate was Michael Schutterley, whom 11 years later broke a game show record that stood for 19 years :)
rmfromfla

Post by rmfromfla »

If Steve had made it to his fifth game, there was the possibility of having to face newcomer Barbara-Anne Eddy (as Judy did the following Monday and lost).
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

legendneverdies wrote:The alternate was Michael Schutterley, whom 11 years later broke a game show record that stood for 19 years :)
Whom?

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Shaymin
Valued Contributor

Post by Shaymin »

The first person to win $500k on an American game show/first to see the million dollar question on Who Wants To Be A Millionaire.
legendneverdies

Shaymin wrote:The first person to win $500k on an American game show/first to see the million dollar question on Who Wants To Be A Millionaire.
Schutterley was the highest winning solo contestant in game show history at the time. Thom Mckee won $312,700 on Tic Tac Dough in 1980, which was the single contestant record up until that time. Nine couples on Million DOllar CHance of a Lifetime in 1986-87 won Million DOllar annuities in season one, and $900K annuities and $100K in prizes in season two. Annuities were paid out $40K a year for 25 years.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

legendneverdies wrote:
Shaymin wrote:The first person to win $500k on an American game show/first to see the million dollar question on Who Wants To Be A Millionaire.
Schutterley was the highest winning solo contestant in game show history at the time. Thom Mckee won $312,700 on Tic Tac Dough in 1980, which was the single contestant record up until that time. Nine couples on Million DOllar CHance of a Lifetime in 1986-87 won Million DOllar annuities in season one, and $900K annuities and $100K in prizes in season two. Annuities were paid out $40K a year for 25 years.
I think his point is twofold: 1) it's Shutterly, not Schutterley and 2) it's "who", not "whom".
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

econgator wrote:
legendneverdies wrote:
I think his point is twofold: 1) it's Shutterly, not Schutterley and 2) it's "who", not "whom".
Don't worry, econ, "obvious subtlety" goes over legend's head so often that the FAA has his scalp registered. *rimshot*
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

dhkendall wrote:
econgator wrote:
legendneverdies wrote:
Don't worry, econ, "obvious subtlety" goes over legend's head so often that the FAA has his scalp registered. *rimshot*
Hey, you misspelled my name!