New old games in the J! Archive

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

legendneverdies
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by legendneverdies »

MattakaSchfiftythree has the unarchived 4/5/1990 episode, from the contestant interviews to the end of the show(first segment is missing), available at his Youtube page.
legendneverdies

Trevor Panno has uploaded to his Youtube page the 2/18/2004 semi-final game 3 of the 2004 Teen tournament, which is apparently the most recent game not in the J-archive.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I have filled in the shell for Rich Rosenlof #2: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1466

I plan to have #3 done in 2014 as well.
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

MarkBarrett wrote:I have filled in the shell for Rich Rosenlof #2: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1466
What are the odds that Rich Rosenlof becomes a 2-day champion with $59,800 exactly one week after Rich Hastings does the same thing?! :o
ÕώÕ
Contributor

Post by ÕώÕ »

I'd really like if the 2 final games with Amanda Goad's teen tournament were posted. I don't know what happened except Goad and another contestant were tied, both above the minimum $25,000. Goad won on the tiebreaker.
ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

cheezguyty wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:I have filled in the shell for Rich Rosenlof #2: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1466
What are the odds that Rich Rosenlof becomes a 2-day champion with $59,800 exactly one week after Rich Hastings does the same thing?! :o
I'd say about 100%.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

ÕώÕ wrote:I'd really like if the 2 final games with Amanda Goad's teen tournament were posted. I don't know what happened except Goad and another contestant were tied, both above the minimum $25,000. Goad won on the tiebreaker.
I have made note of the request, but have not checked to confirm I have the games. If it does not happen by Labor Day then remind me.

I have filled in the skeleton for Rich Rosenlof #3 to complete his set: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1467

There is Archive glitch that is being worked on, so that is why Rich's proper 3-game total does not show at the end of the game or at the beginning of his 4th game.
Ivoryface86

Post by Ivoryface86 »

MarkBarrett wrote:
ÕώÕ wrote:I'd really like if the 2 final games with Amanda Goad's teen tournament were posted. I don't know what happened except Goad and another contestant were tied, both above the minimum $25,000. Goad won on the tiebreaker.
I have made note of the request, but have not checked to confirm I have the games. If it does not happen by Labor Day then remind me.

I have filled in the skeleton for Rich Rosenlof #3 to complete his set: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1467

There is Archive glitch that is being worked on, so that is why Rich's proper 3-game total does not show at the end of the game or at the beginning of his 4th game.
Rich Rosenlof's 2-day total going into the game you just archived was $59,800.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Ivoryface86 wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:

Rich Rosenlof's 2-day total going into the game you just archived was $59,800.
It looks like all of Rich's games are properly linked with the correct totals showing on the top and bottom now.
ÕώÕ
Contributor

Post by ÕώÕ »

MarkBarrett wrote:
Thanks you for the response.
ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I have filled in Eric Floyd #1: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1543

It was a treat to rewatch that game. I was not sure how to handle the Mount Rushmore category being a picture of the monument, I mean sculpture. :)

Meagan sure tried to make the most of her being outplayed and credit to her for almost pulling it out.

Since the game aired the FJ! correct response has company.

My goal is to finish Eric's run by June. One each in Feb-May would do that. We'll see.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Bad DD bet by her. She only bets to tie with two clues left? A miss kills her chances, so she should bet it all. Especially a category with such a limited pool of clues.

Thanks for getting another S18 game off the books. Just 112 to go!!!!!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

For all of you who hated one of the games earlier this week, you might not want to watch the game I just archived.

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4788

It was an odd recording. The video contained the player introductions and the categories. Alex asked the champ to select a clue and it immediately switched to him selecting the 14th clue of the game. but they couldn't have been any worse than the rest of the game.

The first clue in business and industry was a strange factoid for a top row clue.

The bottom clue in Roadside America was a piece of work. It had a neg, followed by another neg and then a witty off color remark by Alex I felt obligated to include. Then they accepted the second neg, which with Alex's long winded explanation really stretched things out.

The DJ! round had some bad responses and some really bad guesses. An entire category went untouched.

The wagering was pretty bad as well. One player did make the proper wager, but I think he just went all in for the heck of it rather than because it was a strategically proper bet.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

^ I like how Tim's FJ! begins with "Might it be". Has anyone else ever put anything other than "Who/what" on FJ! before?

Anyone who complains about the clue writing now should really take a look at that popsicle clue. That was just a mess and a half.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

TenPoundHammer wrote:^ I like how Tim's FJ! begins with "Might it be". Has anyone else ever put anything other than "Who/what" on FJ! before?

Anyone who complains about the clue writing now should really take a look at that popsicle clue. That was just a mess and a half.
I knew what they were going for but wouldn't have had any idea how to phrase it. Alex gave the response as:
Spoiler
What is "they changed from two stick popsicles to the single stick popscicles"? Who in the heck is they? This certainly was not a universal move. I'm guessing maybe the Popsicle brand discontinued the Twin Pop in 86, but the term popsicle was basically ubiquitous by that point, so not the greatest idea for a clue.
Bamaman wrote:For all of you who hated one of the games earlier this week, you might not want to watch the game I just archived.

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4788

The wagering was pretty bad as well. One player did make the proper wager, but I think he just went all in for the heck of it rather than because it was a strategically proper bet.
I'm not sure whose all-in wager you' re saying is proper. The only one who made an advisable wager was the leader. 2nd place should have bet less than $200 to keep 3rd locked out and win if the leader missed. And of course the only way for 3rd to win was to have the leader make the MSB and miss, which happened, so Ed just needed to bet at least $799 and get FJ right. Naturally, he bet $798 to lose by a buck. Well played.

The FJ seems like a tricky one. I guessed it right, imaging that
Spoiler
it makes a much more interest fact if the answer is Jackie Kennedy than if it's Rosalynn Carter, since one was First Lady over 20 years ago and the other was the last to leave office. If someone knew the approximate ages of JFK and Jimmy Carter, Carter would be the obvious choice, but it turns out Jackie was 12 years younger than her first husband, making her two years younger than Mrs. Carter.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

jeff6286 wrote:I'm not sure whose all-in wager you' re saying is proper. The only one who made an advisable wager was the leader. 2nd place should have bet less than $200 to keep 3rd locked out and win if the leader missed. And of course the only way for 3rd to win was to have the leader make the MSB and miss, which happened, so Ed just needed to bet at least $799 and get FJ right. Naturally, he bet $798 to lose by a buck. Well played.
Because it was a "first equals second plus third" scenario, first should have offered a tie to second to avoid losing to third. Because of this, second ought to have chosen between all-in (to possibly accept a potential tie offer from first) and less than $200 (to keep third locked out and stay ahead of first on a double stumper). And third, we know, should have bet it all.

This is one of two -98 to -99 finishes I know of. The other one happened, however, because of a second dollar added to the wager instead of withheld from it: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3655
legendneverdies

http://www.youtube.com/user/animfan1100 AKA Trevor Panno has posted the 2/16/2004 unarchived first semifinal game of the 2004 Teen tournament to his Youtube page.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

seaborgium wrote:
jeff6286 wrote:I'm not sure whose all-in wager you' re saying is proper. The only one who made an advisable wager was the leader. 2nd place should have bet less than $200 to keep 3rd locked out and win if the leader missed. And of course the only way for 3rd to win was to have the leader make the MSB and miss, which happened, so Ed just needed to bet at least $799 and get FJ right. Naturally, he bet $798 to lose by a buck. Well played.
Because it was a "first equals second plus third" scenario, first should have offered a tie to second to avoid losing to third. Because of this, second ought to have chosen between all-in (to possibly accept a potential tie offer from first) and less than $200 (to keep third locked out and stay ahead of first on a double stumper). And third, we know, should have bet it all.

This is one of two -98 to -99 finishes I know of. The other one happened, however, because of a second dollar added to the wager instead of withheld from it: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3655
That is what I was thinking. The leader made the MSB without noticing it put him one dollar behind third's doubled score. Third just decided to hold back a couple bucks for no good reason. You can see him turn around in disgust when Marc's final score is revealed. He was too young to drink then, but that may have maid Keith raid his parent's liquor cabinet.

In the other game you linked, there are two possibilities for third's wager. One is she added a dollar instead of subtracting to get ahead of the leader's MSBIW. But had she gotten FJ right, she is $2 ahead of the leader's pre-FJ score. So maybe she thought second place would bet to get $1 ahead of the leader (a not uncommon wager) and she was trying to top that.

Part one of the video Trevor posted has horrible audio, the second half is fine.
legendneverdies

legendneverdies wrote:http://www.youtube.com/user/animfan1100 AKA Trevor Panno has posted the 2/16/2004 unarchived first semifinal game of the 2004 Teen tournament to his Youtube page.
2/17/2004, the second teen tourney semi-final game, is up at Trevor Panno's page.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

jeff6286 wrote:
Spoiler
What is "they changed from two stick popsicles to the single stick popscicles"? Who in the heck is they? This certainly was not a universal move. I'm guessing maybe the Popsicle brand discontinued the Twin Pop in 86, but the term popsicle was basically ubiquitous by that point, so not the greatest idea for a clue.
Yes, it was Popsicle. It happened in May and the show aired in September, taping sometime during the summer, so it was still a vaguely "current event."

Some stories:

Popsicles to Get a New Look in May (L.A. Times, March 13, 1986)

The Popsicle's Rejuvenation (New York TImes, June 18, 1986)