New old games in the J! Archive

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by dhkendall »

Bamaman wrote:
teapot37 wrote:
Bamaman wrote:Elise's 4th game was a two-player FJ. But the third contestant stayed on stage during FJ. Alex asked her (after both players wrong responses were revealed) if she knew it and she said "probably not".
I am flabbergasted that was a double- (and probably triple-) stumper.

If it had said between 1885 and 1901, they would have been correct. So maybe they knew about the "no leap year in 00 years" and forgot that ones divisible by 400 (such as 2000 or 2400) were still leap years.
Plus we have the advantage (?) of living in a post-2000 world and are more likely to remember it wasn't a leap year than they are for remembering the rule.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

9/23/93 is in: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5266

Dave Osborne
Tim Sheehan
Chuck Geneslaw

In the Archive this game has the third occurrence of Beloved Infidel creating a stumper, so it seems it was retired after that one.

If you are going to make a joke response for the FJ! round at least spell it correctly. Especially when that person is reading it.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MarkBarrett wrote:9/23/93 is in: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5266

Dave Osborne
Tim Sheehan
Chuck Geneslaw

In the Archive this game has the third occurrence of Beloved Infidel creating a stumper, so it seems it was retired after that one.

If you are going to make a joke response for the FJ! round at least spell it correctly. Especially when that person is reading it.
Odd wager from the lead. At least it saved him $2.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I am a little surprised no one knew that FJ. Or is this something that is easier now than it was in 1993? Was Hawking as well known then as he is now?
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Bamaman wrote:I am a little surprised no one knew that FJ. Or is this something that is easier now than it was in 1993? Was Hawking as well known then as he is now?
Hawking permeates popular culture in 2016, but he was famous enough to be a household name at least five years earlier than this 1993 clue when A Brief History of Time was a mega-bestseller. I venture the 1993 Final clue was inspired by his appearance on Star Trek: The Next Generation on the episode that aired June 21, 1993, three months prior to this Jeopardy! episode (i.e., right around when the tape date would have been).
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

seaborgium wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:9/23/93 is in: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5266

Dave Osborne
Tim Sheehan
Chuck Geneslaw

Odd wager from the lead. At least it saved him $2.
Would have loved to have seen a video from Keith on this episode, especially if everyone had gotten it right.
Lore
Valued Contributor

Post by Lore »

My daughter is telling me there have been some old games added or filled in. If so, is there a list of which games in case she missed finding one?
Jeff-thecdboy

Post by Jeff-thecdboy »

^Yes, there have been a few more games added to the Archive recently that were not mentioned here, which include:

1/27/95 - Claud/Bruce/Dave
1/2/96 - Rima/Gareth/Peter
1/3/96 - Gareth/Chris/Claudia
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Lore wrote:My daughter is telling me there have been some old games added or filled in. If so, is there a list of which games in case she missed finding one?
When I add games to the Archive or fill in a skeleton I will post in this thread.

Like others I do notice that games from previous seasons have been added.

What I do every so often is start here: http://www.j-archive.com/

I like look at the clue count to see if it has gone higher as that alerts me to additions in the Archive.

Another way of doing detective work is to start with the most recent game from the current season in the Archive: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5295

From there I will use the previous link and watch the id number (id=5295 in the example above) and that it stays in order for the current season. Doing leads to 5292 being 5/23 and 5290 being 5/20.

Alert, alert, check on 5291. I put the address I'm working with in my browser and change the id number: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5291

Voila! There's the addition from 1996.

Player id numbers can also be used for detective work.

Sometimes skeletons are in the Archive with just the game id and players with no clues filled in and this could have happened years ago making the id number a much lower one. Seeing the clue count go up without it being a current season game or newly game added leads me to the likely place to look in S20 or S18.

And to add to Jeff's list and answer the original question check out the additions in S4 getting Michael Rankins's run filled in along with some of Stephen Lebowitz, etc.
Lore
Valued Contributor

Post by Lore »

Thanks to you both. My daughter has an amazing memory. All she has to do is look at the index and she knows if the number of games in a season has changed.
kingskip
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kingskip »

Did Myron add those 1/2 and 1/3 1996 games in? I sent him those and many others back in the fall. He added several of them but it seems he disappeared from here around early March. Did he add those two games or did someone else?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

kingskip wrote:Did Myron add those 1/2 and 1/3 1996 games in? I sent him those and many others back in the fall. He added several of them but it seems he disappeared from here around early March. Did he add those two games or did someone else?
Myron posted Tuesday the 24th of this week in the LL69 thread. I would take his mug off the milk carton. If he is the one with the early 1996 games then it would be seem to make sense he put them in the Archive.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Myron is entering games more slowly than usual, as the presence of a dog in the house complicates my free time a bit. Or to be more specific, the presence of the cat in the back room that has to be kept away from the dog, etc., etc. One day I'll get a burst of energy and I'll get back to regular entry. Kareem, Alexandra, and Larry are waiting, I know.

I'd like to also mention that a good number of season 20 games have been completed using Ronnie's archive. Look for the notation "Game data retrived from an alternate archive."

http://www.j-archive.com/showseason.php?season=20

There are still a few games left to fill there. Not sure who to thank for filling in the ones that got done, but thanks.

(Oh, and no, I was not the one who filled in the 1996 games. I try not to have two going at the same time anymore.)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I have filled in the skeleton for 12/21/01 with: Loyd Gattis vs. Robert Heiler vs. Carly Minner

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1092

The FJ! round had no "Think" music, so that seemed unusual enough to put on YT:

http://youtu.be/naffL_Ev5HI
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Mark, it looks like the last category in DJ should have just ARM in quotes, rather than ARMS.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

jeff6286 wrote:Mark, it looks like the last category in DJ should have just ARM in quotes, rather than ARMS.
Yes, thank you. It's fixed.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Thanks for sharing that video, very nice performance by Cheryl and the choir. I wonder if they had a clock for the players since they had no way to know how much time was left.
Last edited by Bamaman on Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

And at long last, here is 1994 Celebrity Jeopardy! game 2. Kareem Adbul-Jabbar vs. Alexandra Paul vs. Larry King.

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5194

Remember when these were the kind of celeb games we made fun of? But after watching some of those Power Players play, this match looked downright challenging. Worth noting, we now have all of Kareem's games in the archive. And all of Alexandra Paul's, for that matter. Probably Larry King's, too, I didn't check.

For clue of the game, take a look at THEATRE for $1000. That musical would be mentioned 3 years later in a clue asking for the names of the brothers, but it hasn't been heard of on the show since.

In Kareem's interview, he talked about how he had obtained the rights to make a TV movie based on the life of Lena Horne. 22 years later, the movie still hasn't been made, as near as I can tell. But try this puzzler: in 2004, what actress/singer did Horne object to playing the lead role, following a controversial television performance? Answer here.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Is there an 's' missing in 1983 for $600?

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

bpmod wrote:Is there an 's' missing in 1983 for $600?
Not anymore!