New old games in the J! Archive

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: New old games in the J-Archive

Post by Bamaman »

What five timer had been retired the previous day?
jeopardyfan87
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jeopardyfan87 »

Bamaman wrote:What five timer had been retired the previous day?

From what I heard it was Keith Walker.
Jeff-thecdboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Jeff-thecdboy »

^I know 100% that it was Keith Walker who retired undefeated the day before.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

John Ryan #2 and #3 are done:

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4214

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4217

In #3 the Monday game under Sports Quotes how much easier is the DD in the $500 box compared to the $400 clue? And for the DD has anyone ever seen the quote without "good" in it?

In the same game Business &Industry $1000 I have no recognition of the correct response. I don't know if I'm too young or they never made there way up here.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

^ Probably too young. My search history shows that I've looked up the name before for some reason. Looks like most of them became Bally's, which I have heard of.

And considering I could pass for an extra in Weird Al's "Fat" video, I sure know a lot about fitness chains.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MarkBarrett wrote:John Ryan #2 and #3 are done:

In #3 the Monday game under Sports Quotes how much easier is the DD in the $500 box compared to the $400 clue? And for the DD has anyone ever seen the quote without "good" in it?

In the same game Business &Industry $1000 I have no recognition of the correct response. I don't know if I'm too young or they never made there way up here.
I got all three sports quotes, but I agree the baseball one should have been at the bottom.

Comment on the clue in question...
Spoiler
Dean is known for not being too bright and mangling the English language. If they hadn't told us it was a pitcher I'd have guessed Yogi Berra, but I knew Dean had his career shortened by a foot injury.
I got the boxer from the first game, knew he had a long career and a ton of KOs. Never heard of that company, either.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote:John Ryan #2 and #3 are done:

If I had 100 guesses, I might have gotten the baseball quote and, no, I've never seen the quote without "good".

I'm with you on the B&I clue.
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

MarkBarrett wrote:In #3 the Monday game under Sports Quotes how much easier is the DD in the $500 box compared to the $400 clue? And for the DD has anyone ever seen the quote without "good" in it?
Never heard it without "good" either. Check the tape? Oh.
MarkBarrett wrote:In the same game Business & Industry $1000 I have no recognition of the correct response. I don't know if I'm too young or they never made there way up here.
MAD Magazine (source of so much of my early knowledge of the world) once parodied ads featuring the gym founder in that question, probably back in the mid to late '60s, but no way was I getting that.
In and out of the pool four times
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Never heard of the quote without "good", either. Can that be on the poll this week? Oops, never mind, this isn't really 1987. :twisted:
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Under Starts with "H" for $100, was that the accepted answer?

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

bpmod wrote:

Brian
My wife says some people give her the (word taken as the answer), but she never adds jeebies.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Bamaman wrote:
bpmod wrote:

Brian
My wife says some people give her the (word taken as the answer), but she never adds jeebies.
I've never heard that word without 'jeebies', nor have I ever heard it as plural. In your wife's context, though, plural works.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

bpmod wrote:

Brian
Yes, she definitely had the response as a plural. Since I was working off the tape I know for sure "good" was not in the famous quote and Alex did not say it either. And most important I did know the $400 baseball clue guy no problem; I just thought the DD following it was a lot easier.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

So what's next on your list after you finish off this week?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bamaman wrote:So what's next on your list after you finish off this week?
At some point I will try to honor the 1990-92, 94-95 request to do something from that era. It may or may not be next week. My preference is regular games and not tourney/celeb ones.

If you have something in mind you know how to reach me.
Atalsyter
Contributor

Post by Atalsyter »

^ hello! just curious how you have access to all these games? lol
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Decades of faithful recording and archiving.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MarkBarrett wrote:
At some point I will try to honor the 1990-92, 94-95 request to do something from that era. It may or may not be next week. My preference is regular games and not tourney/celeb ones.

If you have something in mind you know how to reach me.
I would like to see the January 4, 2002 episode, which features my all-time favorite literature category; and the June 14, 2002 episode, which features one of my all-time favorite TV categories. (Both games have been entered into the archive already as skeletons.) And I see that the June 17, 2002 episode features a category from my old nemesis Leonard Maltin. I wouldn't mind seeing that one either.

Thanks!

-M3
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

"I'm going to Disney World!"

Speaking of older games, I remember a college game where the category was something like "Early Video Games" and the clue had to do with the creators saying a "square ball wasn't hip" — if I remember correctly, two of the contestants put down "What is Hacky Sack?" and the third said Pac-Man. I remember being flabbergasted, because it was the first time I'd ever gotten a triple-stumper right, and the first time I'd ever seen someone give an FJ! response that didn't fit the category.

I think it was from 2002 or 2003; seems like I was either still in high school or just after it. Anyone know when this game was?
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
"I'm going to Disney World!"

Speaking of older games, I remember a college game where the category was something like "Early Video Games" and the clue had to do with the creators saying a "square ball wasn't hip" — if I remember correctly, two of the contestants put down "What is Hacky Sack?" and the third said Pac-Man. I remember being flabbergasted, because it was the first time I'd ever gotten a triple-stumper right, and the first time I'd ever seen someone give an FJ! response that didn't fit the category.

I think it was from 2002 or 2003; seems like I was either still in high school or just after it. Anyone know when this game was?
My notes put it as the FJ from Jan 2, 2002, in the category 1970s GAMES: "We knew a square ball wasn't cool, but it was the best we could do," said its creator

Hacky Sack fits the category. Pac-Man does not. Neither are correct.

A fine coincidence that you remembered a game so close to where I had just been looking! (Original air dates may be slightly off due to proximity to the New Years holiday.)