New old games in the J! Archive

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

dangold
Jeopardy! Contestant

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by dangold »

I have the video for April 3, 1996, Season 12, Game #2678, which has been missing, I believe.
(I was a contestant that day.)
It is game 3 of David Sampugnaro's 5 day streak.
You can view it here: https://youtu.be/R0TYm8Rl7IE, or I can upload it to my Google Drive for a J-Archivist to download.

Let me know if you have any questions!
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

dangold wrote:I have the video for April 3, 1996, Season 12, Game #2678, which has been missing, I believe.
You can view it here: https://youtu.be/R0TYm8Rl7IE, or I can upload it to my Google Drive for a J-Archivist to download.

Thanks! This'll give me something to do on my breaks at work for a couple of days. (Famous Game Show. Nice euphemism. ;) )

-M
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

dangold wrote:I have the video for April 3, 1996, Season 12, Game #2678, which has been missing, I believe.

I would say retro god luck in this game, but you've already given away the result. But congrats on making the show, too bad you got a tough draw.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Jeff-thecdboy wrote:Animfan1 has just posted the April 5, 1988 episode on Dailymotion:

http://dailymotion.com/animfan11
http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5161

The FJ response may have some company one year from today. Depending on your political leanings and who it is, some board members may be having convulsions if it comes to pass.
Jeff-thecdboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Jeff-thecdboy »

Animfan1 has just posted the November 4, 1987 (Kate Waits game 2) episode on Dailymotion:

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

animfan wrote:
Jeff-thecdboy wrote:Animfan1 has just posted the December 14, 1987 (Sandra Gore game 5) episode on Dailymotion:

I also posted 3 other games on my Dailymotion which are December 11, 1987 (Sandra Gore game 4),
http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5179

Here is Gore #4. The tape began as Sandra was being introduced, so I missed the rest of the intros and took my best guess on the spelling of the last names. Alex gave John's job and said Joanne taught ESL, so I made her a teacher for her occupation.

Amazing the $100 Royal Family clue is still valid.

Playing the Mark Barrett '80s game.....The Clergy for $200.
dividebyzero
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by dividebyzero »

Very useful, thanks so much!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5186

12/18/87 for fans of low winning totals and bad wagering.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Bamaman wrote:http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5186

12/18/87 for fans of low winning totals and bad wagering.
Unfortunately, for the early episodes, Keoth was way too young (and in some cases not even alive yet) to help contestants. These kind of wagers were commonplace then.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
animfan
Valued Contributor

Post by animfan »

jlgarfield wrote:Another old game to add to the Archive: Steve Lipman posted his show, OAD 9/11/1986; the returning champion is....
Spoiler
Fern Cogar.
Search "Steve Lipman Jeopardy" on YouTube.
That game also featured Tony Barreto who previously appeared on “Double Dare” in 1976 and won only $100 losing to Alan Lusher.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5182

Thanks so much for posting this game. Game 3 was the only game of his 5-day run missing from the archive, so that is now complete. Thanks for making your game (I presume you are Dan, or at least his representative) available to us. These mid-90s game ran so smoothly.

My choice for pull-clue for this game is Stock Symbols for $400 in the J! round. As you rip clues from the old games in the Archive for study purposes, it's good to remember that not everything in there is worth remembering in the present day. Obsolete beauty product manufacturing concerns would be one of those things you can probably skip over.

At the other end of the spectrum, The Tony Awards for $600 is the kind of clue you might see even today. I got held up by the fact that I thought the category was "The 1995 Tony Awards", and sat there overthinking what the "wrong" year might mean.

Another game coming up shortly.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

From the Kingskip collection, I've finished September 7, 1995.

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5169
MinnesotaMyron wrote:At the other end of the spectrum, The Tony Awards for $600 is the kind of clue you might see even today. I got held up by the fact that I thought the category was "The 1995 Tony Awards", and sat there overthinking what the "wrong" year might mean.
I went from typing that previous post to entering the DJ! round of this game. Imagine my amusement when that last category was revealed. I went back and forth between entering these two games, and this wasn't the only category coincidence. Both also had the relatively uncommon category "Stock Symbols" in the J! round. No overlap in game material in any case, which is no surprise, since both games are from the same season.

(I wonder if those 2 unrevealed clues in this game became the first 2 clues in that later category. I'd bet they did.)

Clue of the game is Baroque Composers for $800:
In 1653 Jean-Baptiste Lully became composer to this French king with whom he danced in a ballet
A fun fact that basically boils down to "name the French king in 1653", it's much more significant as the 300,000th clue entered into the J! Archive. Well done to all my fellow archivists, and our benevolent leader, Robert K S.

The next couple of games to go up from this DVD will be celeb games. I jumped ahead to this game since I needed a little break from entering Tournaments.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

"LAND" HO!
(Alex: "Land" in quotation marks, we know what that means.)
One more thing I wanted to point out before I wrap it up for the day. This is a little "inside baseball", but we got 2 correction suggestions for this particular category entry, both suggesting that Alex's explanation be dropped. I personally tend to leave it in, unless Alex specifically says, "THIS" will appear in all correct responses. Obviously if he explains that the clues will start or end with the quoted letter or term, we'd include that, but I like to also add however else he might phrase it, since it serves as a guide to the players regarding the clues.

Both correction suggestions were shot down before I had a chance to attend to them, so I'll assume I'm okay to continue adding these remarks.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

I'm celebrating Presidents Day by getting another game in the archive: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1090

12/19/01 with Sarah Cooper, Karim Moore and Timothy Mahoney had me unable to get the first link in Jeff Probst to work.

I went a little overboard with some of the stuff I included, so there a some very long boxes that take up screen space.

Unfortunately, the 12/17/01 game did not air in my market, so I cannot fill that one in.

As for the FJ! round: Sirens
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Spoiler as to what game I'm currently entering, but I thought this was funny.

You know how when a contestant hits a Daily Double, you'll often see the contestant crane their neck to look up at the scoreboard to see how they're doing? When Kareem Abdul-Jabbar hits a Daily Double, he just looks straight ahead.

Edited to add: This is a little inside baseball, but I don't think I'd ever seen this warning before:
One or more players finished Double Jeopardy! without money in this special nontournament play game. If any player was given money to play Final Jeopardy! with (in a celebrity match, for example), [Edit score corrections] now.
I was kind of wondering how the archive handled that, and now I know. Fun. More tomorrow.
phaedrus76@gmail.com

Post by phaedrus76@gmail.com »

I apologize if this is covered elsewhere and I have just been using the wrong terms to search, but how exactly does one add an new (old) game to the archive in the first place? I have game information I saved using the Wayback Machine from a now-defunct site and I'd rather it not disappear entirely (especially because I happened to be a contestant in the games). What exactly is the procedure here?
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

phaedrus76@gmail.com wrote:I apologize if this is covered elsewhere and I have just been using the wrong terms to search, but how exactly does one add an new (old) game to the archive in the first place? I have game information I saved using the Wayback Machine from a now-defunct site and I'd rather it not disappear entirely (especially because I happened to be a contestant in the games). What exactly is the procedure here?
The games are entered manually by a team of archivists, usually from videos supplied by the players, or acquired elsewhere. If you were a player on season 20 (the season archived by Ronnie that inspired the archive we have now)(and I suspect this is the case, based on your username) I could possibly be convinced to enter the game from that source. We've done that too. I've got a link that that particular section of archive.org in my bookmarks.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

There's always this link, as well, for anybody needing a recreation of Ronnie's site.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
phaedrus76@gmail.com

MinnesotaMyron wrote:
phaedrus76@gmail.com wrote:I apologize if this is covered elsewhere and I have just been using the wrong terms to search, but how exactly does one add an new (old) game to the archive in the first place? I have game information I saved using the Wayback Machine from a now-defunct site and I'd rather it not disappear entirely (especially because I happened to be a contestant in the games). What exactly is the procedure here?
The games are entered manually by a team of archivists, usually from videos supplied by the players, or acquired elsewhere. If you were a player on season 20 (the season archived by Ronnie that inspired the archive we have now)(and I suspect this is the case, based on your username) I could possibly be convinced to enter the game from that source. We've done that too. I've got a link that that particular section of archive.org in my bookmarks.
I'm not entirely confident in my own powers of persuasion on the matter. I assumed this was a wiki-type system...if it's only a handful of people doing this I wouldn't want to trouble anyone. I am just well aware of the ephemeral nature of personal websites and thought it might be good to move Ronnie's content over.

Also, kudos on whatever detective work you did to determine my identity so quickly.
phaedrus76@gmail.com

bpmod wrote:There's always this link, as well, for anybody needing a recreation of Ronnie's site.

Brian
You are clearly better at bending search engines to your will than I am. I had no idea that this had been reproduced here.