New old games in the J! Archive

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

TenPoundHammer

Re: New old games in the J-Archive

Post by TenPoundHammer »

^ Thank you! So I would've been just finishing up senior year then.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

John Ryan #4 is done: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4219

That game was a piece of work. Maggie negged on Africa $300 in the first clue of the game. Later she hit Guess $500 to have a $200 total. On Bogie $100 she was correct, so her score should have been $300. That was the last clue before the break. After the interviews her score was incorrectly at $400 and it was never adjusted. I made my best stab at noting the errorr in the FJ clue section.

I went back to the tape for another listen and double check and I am sure I am right about clue order, values called, and responses in the first segment.

If there is a better way to handle it then fix it or let me know.

The game had a number of good laughs from clue one with Alex's ad lib.

Alex wanted to do more Bogie impressions.

1-Word Songs $400 was hilarious.

Alex reading Fish $100 was fun.

The audio DD at Roller Skating $800 showed it's fine to add extra to a title.

Robert's Rules $200 had a great miss an unfortunate rebound attempt and finally a correct rebound.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Had that song been on Super Jeopardy!, they'd have gotten it right.

Sounds like it was a fun game to watch. Thanks for spending your summer vacation updating the archive.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MarkBarrett wrote:John Ryan #4 is done: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4219

That game was a piece of work. Maggie negged on Africa $300 in the first clue of the game. Later she hit Guess $500 to have a $200 total. On Bogie $100 she was correct, so her score should have been $300. That was the last clue before the break. After the interviews her score was incorrectly at $400 and it was never adjusted. I made my best stab at noting the errorr in the FJ clue section.

I went back to the tape for another listen and double check and I am sure I am right about clue order, values called, and responses in the first segment.

Checks clues 6 and 28 in double Jeopardy here to see how I dealt with this in a different game. Yours is a tougher situation, because it effects FJ and the final scores.

-M
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

If John's fifth game ends in a similar way to his second through fourth ones, then it may well be the case that his aggressive FJ wagering provided a boost that got him into the UToC. If he'd just wagered to cover second by $1 in those games, his four-day total would have been $36,203 (this includes the extra $200 for covering Maggie's erroneous $9,400). The $13,000 that my powers of arithmetic tell me he won in game 5 would bump him to $49,203, just behind Jay Rosenberg.* But if, say, he won his $13,000 in a non-lock against a second place with $5,500 before FJ, then his consistent aggression ended up being his ticket to the UToC.

(Isn't it fun to speculate about things that happened 25 years ago?)

*Jim Scott's 5-day total is actually between $49,203 and Jay's total, but Jim was automatically in the UToC as a ToC winner.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MinnesotaMyron wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:John Ryan #4 is done: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4219

Checks clues 6 and 28 in double Jeopardy here to see how I dealt with this in a different game. Yours is a tougher situation, because it effects FJ and the final scores.

-M
Myron's game could have really been a sticky situation if Lionel hadn't screwed up his DD (wonder if that bothered him the rest of his life) and one other clue had fallen a different way. I wonder how they'd have handled it if he went into FJ with an undeserved lead and they all got FJ right?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Bamaman wrote: Myron's game could have really been a sticky situation if Lionel hadn't screwed up his DD (wonder if that bothered him the rest of his life) and one other clue had fallen a different way. I wonder how they'd have handled it if he went into FJ with an undeserved lead and they all got FJ right?
I've just had a look at the numbers. Had Lionel phrased correctly, he would have led $7,200 (which should have been $6,800) to $6,500 to $5,700 over Paul and Beryl respectively. There were two clues left on the board, worth $800 and $1,000. With those numbers and those clues, it was impossible for Lionel to have an undeserved lead (i.e., a lead of $400 or less) over anyone else. His closest possible leads would have been $500 over either player (either if he stayed at $7,200 and Beryl moved up to $6,700, as she did; or if he got the $800 and went up to $8,000, and Paul got the $1,000 clue to go up to $7,500).
jeopardyfan87
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jeopardyfan87 »

seaborgium wrote:
Bamaman wrote: Myron's game could have really been a sticky situation if Lionel hadn't screwed up his DD (wonder if that bothered him the rest of his life) and one other clue had fallen a different way. I wonder how they'd have handled it if he went into FJ with an undeserved lead and they all got FJ right?
I've just had a look at the numbers. Had Lionel phrased correctly, he would have led $7,200 (which should have been $6,800) to $6,500 to $5,700 over Paul and Beryl respectively. There were two clues left on the board, worth $800 and $1,000. With those numbers and those clues, it was impossible for Lionel to have an undeserved lead (i.e., a lead of $400 or less) over anyone else. His closest possible leads would have been $500 over either player (either if he stayed at $7,200 and Beryl moved up to $6,700, as she did; or if he got the $800 and went up to $8,000, and Paul got the $1,000 clue to go up to $7,500).
Well in the DJ round even before he hit the Daily Double, when he answered the $200 question right in the "American Revolution" category, he was mistakenly credited with $400 on that clue. The scoring mistake was never corrected. Wondering what would've happened at the end of the DJ round with his score.

Also coincidentally with what I just said, it happened in the second-to-last clue in the first quarterfinal game of the 1993 Teen Tournament where on the second-to-last clue, in the DJ round the player was credited with $900 instead of $800 on it, and she entered FJ with $100 more than what she should've had; that scoring mistake was never corrected.

I think I should end there since I'm switching up the previous post's topic in ways.
jeffwolfe
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jeffwolfe »

seaborgium wrote:
From the point in alternate history when Lionel led Paul $7200-$6500, it was still theoretically possible for the lead to end up less than $400. If Lionel had missed the $1000 clue and Paul had gotten the rebound, then Paul had missed the $800 clue and Lionel had gotten the rebound, Lionel would have led Paul $7000-$6700.

Of course, that's pretty implausible even if you postulate that Lionel would have been quicker on the buzzer with a correct daily double than with a miss, because it requires alternate-Paul to miss a clue that actual-Paul got right.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

seaborgium wrote:
I saw that, but meant possible if some other small clue had gone a different way earlier in the game and he still made the big bet at the end.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

John Ryan #5 is done already since World War Z is calling to me this afternoon: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4220

I'll let Stefan handle the math to see how John's FJ wagers may or may not have put him in the UTOC.

Both opponents had previous TV experience with Eric on House Party with Art Linkletter and Maxine on J! with Art Fleming. She had her check framed and Alex showed it. I'm not sure but it looked like the date was Feb. 1973, so I guess that puts her on in late 1972 unless the checks were cut quickly back then?

Eric left Alex Trebek with parting gifts. Eric in 2001 left Regis Philbin with $250K. His run on the ladder is here:

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

seaborgium wrote:If John's fifth game ends in a similar way to his second through fourth ones, then it may well be the case that his aggressive FJ wagering provided a boost that got him into the UToC. If he'd just wagered to cover second by $1 in those games, his four-day total would have been $36,203 (this includes the extra $200 for covering Maggie's erroneous $9,400). The $13,000 that my powers of arithmetic tell me he won in game 5 would bump him to $49,203, just behind Jay Rosenberg.* But if, say, he won his $13,000 in a non-lock against a second place with $5,500 before FJ, then his consistent aggression ended up being his ticket to the UToC.

(Isn't it fun to speculate about things that happened 25 years ago?)

*Jim Scott's 5-day total is actually between $49,203 and Jay's total, but Jim was automatically in the UToC as a ToC winner.
I'm not following you. Are you saying Jay Rosenberg was not in the UTOC?

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=200
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MarkBarrett wrote:I'll let Stefan handle the math to see how John's FJ wagers may or may not have put him in the UTOC.
John's totals if he covers second by a dollar (and still bets $0 on the lock-tie):
$5,800 + $12,201 + $8,801 + $9,401 + $10,601 = $46,804, which is below Ron Black's and Elise Beraru's $47k five-day totals, the two highest of players that didn't get into the UToC.
Bamaman wrote:
seaborgium wrote:$49,203, just behind Jay Rosenberg.*

I'm not following you. Are you saying Jay Rosenberg was not in the UTOC?

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=200
I'm saying I'm ranking $49,203 as just behind Jay's $49,600 instead of behind Jim's $49,300, because ranking by winnings didn't apply to ToC winners.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

Steve CHernicoff game five, 9/7/94, given to us by the kid of challenger Tom. E Epstein is the Youtube name. He labels it as "dad's jeopardy appearance circa 1997". THe end credits are cut off but the game and commercials from the Maryland station are intact.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

legendneverdies wrote:Steve CHernicoff game five, 9/7/94, given to us by the kid of challenger Tom. E Epstein is the Youtube name. He labels it as "dad's jeopardy appearance circa 1997". THe end credits are cut off but the game and commercials from the Maryland station are intact.
Thanks, that was fun to watch:

and I'm not sure this has been linked on this board, Steve just a few years earlier:

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I enjoyed watching that one. Nice to have, as none of Steve's regular games are archived.

Comment on game...
Spoiler
When Tom was drinking an espresso, I wonder if he ever looked around and thought about he could have had a whole new kitchen if he'd clammed on the last clue of the game.

I got FJ after a brief detour to Tolstoy.
Last edited by Bamaman on Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

legendneverdies wrote:Steve CHernicoff game five, 9/7/94, given to us by the kid of challenger Tom. E Epstein is the Youtube name. He labels it as "dad's jeopardy appearance circa 1997". THe end credits are cut off but the game and commercials from the Maryland station are intact.
I really enjoyed watching that. Thanks so much!

Regarding FJ:
Spoiler
I had no clue on FJ. I guessed Tolstoy, and I also considered Proust.
I also got a chuckle out of the Paul Sarbanes commercial.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

J! Archive says Steve's big win was in July rather than September. I assume this was the Archive's error in deriving a date from episode number 2298 as cited in the '90s jeopardy.com Hall of Fame, rather than an erroneous episode number put up by jeopardy.com's people.

I think it's funny that both videos have Steve dealing with Andrew Jackson questions.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

seaborgium wrote:J! Archive says Steve's big win was in July rather than September.
It said his date of first appearance was 7/7/94(Thursday). The seasons from seasons 5-11 ended with the Seniors tournaments. APpearance five would have aired on 9/7/94. Also of note in this episode is Alex saying the TofC qualifying period changed from September-end of that season to end of one TofC through just before the next TofC.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

legendneverdies wrote:
seaborgium wrote:J! Archive says Steve's big win was in July rather than September.
It said his date of first appearance was 7/7/94(Thursday).
Actually, it says both.
legendneverdies wrote:The seasons from seasons 5-11 ended with the Seniors tournaments.
That could well explain the discrepancy.
legendneverdies wrote:APpearance five would have aired on 9/7/94.
Would and did.
legendneverdies wrote:Also of note in this episode is Alex saying the TofC qualifying period changed from September-end of that season to end of one TofC through just before the next TofC.
Yes, probably something that should be noted in the Archive somewhere.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.