New old games in the J! Archive

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: New old games in the J-Archive

Post by Volante »

MinnesotaMyron wrote:
Volante wrote:
MinnesotaMyron wrote:This episode originally aired a week before my tape day. For 10 years now I've assumed that the FJ was just unusually hard. But now the TOM seems perfectly obvious, even if it isn't necessarily particularly helpful.
Spoiler
The westernmost region of France would be one that extends close to Britain. Hence, Brittany.
Not a perfect clue by any means, but very slightly less hard than it looks at first glance.

-M
Which would be the wrong way to go by it since...
Spoiler
Nord-Pas de Calais is the closest region of France to Britain. Remember the 1940 evacuation of Dunkirk? There's a reason it was done from Dunkirk and not the region of Brittany.
Which is why I didn't say "closest to Britain."

-Myron
Except even there there's 3 regions closer than the answer but farther away than the closest.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
BoK
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by BoK »

dhkendall wrote:
But that's the thing, what does this "map of France" show, all the regions, or just the European ("metropolitan") ones? (I'd guess that many, if not most, "maps of France" just show metropolitan France.) If I understand things correctly, regions like French Guiana and Reunion are as much part of France as Alaska and Hawaii are part of the US, but many people don't seem to make that distinction, probably because they are much further away from France than AK and HI are from the US (and AK is also North American as well - HI is, I believe Oceanian, but it seems to be as far away from most of Oceania as it is from California.)
Since 2003 French Guiana et. al. are both overseas regions and overseas departments. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overseas_region). Before 2003, the were only overseas departments. Since the game is from 2002, Guadeloupe was not the furthest west region of France at the time, although it would be now.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bill Pitassy #4 from October 1994 is in: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3962

I'll admit it, I've never seen an episode of The Mary Tyler Moore show. Was TV $500 some kind of running joke on the show?

The Number, Please category escaped from the Teen Tournament.

Check out World History $600 and the other accepted response Alex provided.

I knew I was dealing with a TOCer when Music $1000 was hit.

All the Marbles $1000 - Don't show off just give the common name

Well, the Olympics are here so that's it for archiving for the summer. 20 games in 20 weekdays was a good exercise and it's fun to share. Sorry, if I was not able to meet all of the requests. Well, there's always next year.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

MarkBarrett wrote:
Never heard of Wings, eh, Mark?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I can't believe you've never seen that show.

Ted Baxter was an arrogant and incompetent news anchor. A number of times during the show's run, he would reminisce about his humble beginnings at that radio station.

Thanks for spending your summer vacation improving the archive!!!!!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Vanya wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:
Never heard of Wings, eh, Mark?
I could not figure out what the NBC show had to do with Amsterdam, so I typed the name and Wings into Google. I've heard of that other Wings, but it wasn't going to help on that clue.

My exposure to MTM is those kind of clips show with people laughing at some funeral. I didn't check the archive, but I suspect there have been Knight/Baxter clues where the contestant had to say the right one?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

That funeral was for Chuckles the Clown, which I'm pretty sure has been on the show before in some context.

I'm not sure about Ted's off and on screen surnames, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone mixed them up.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

I'm hijacking my own thread to pose a couple of "can you remember these old contestants?" questions.

The first one I'm trying to remember is a player who played shortly after the dollar values doubled. He dug himself into a huge hole, possibly because of Daily Double hunting.

The second is a player who played Jeopardy in 2000 or 2001 having previously appeared on Win Ben Stein's Money. Someone on the old, old message board identified her from that WBSM appearance as an exotic dancer.

Working on finishing the Pat Sajak, Teri Garr, Ed Asner Celebrity game right now.

-M
dupko
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by dupko »

Bamaman wrote:That funeral was for Chuckles the Clown, which I'm pretty sure has been on the show before in some context.

I'm not sure about Ted's off and on screen surnames, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone mixed them up.
FUREAL? :cry:
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

dupko wrote:
Bamaman wrote:That funeral was for Chuckles the Clown, which I'm pretty sure has been on the show before in some context.

FUREAL? :cry:
Frill: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3703
ahirbhairav

Post by ahirbhairav »

I am also wondering if maybe we can make a separate thing called the Fleming Era-season or something, in which we will have a less number, but yes, it's worth it. It's like the treasure of game shows.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

ahirbhairav wrote:I am also wondering if maybe we can make a separate thing called the Fleming Era-season or something, in which we will have a less number, but yes, it's worth it. It's like the treasure of game shows.
There are I believe five known existing episodes of the 1978 revival(first, second, and last, Brian Aronson's show, and the gameplay segments of a TofC final from that version), and four of the original(2000th, 1974 episode, 1975 finale, and a clip from a 60s episode), at least on the trading circuit/Youtube
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MarkBarrett wrote:
My exposure to MTM is those kind of clips show with people laughing at some funeral.
There was a clue about this episode in Friday's show (the 5th QF from the Teacher's Tournament).
ahirbhairav

Post by ahirbhairav »

Steve Rogitz game 2 is here. I looked at my very little amount of data and confirmed the exact date: March 25, 1985. From Season 1.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

http://www.jboard.tv/viewtopic.php?p=4003

What reasons do you have for putting that date to it?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

That is a Monday and I doubt it was on a Monday. The carpet commercial says their sale is on Monday and Tuesday. If the show aired Monday, they likely would have said today and tomorrow.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

Bamaman wrote:That is a Monday and I doubt it was on a Monday. The carpet commercial says their sale is on Monday and Tuesday. If the show aired Monday, they likely would have said today and tomorrow.
The sale in one of the ads ended on MOnday 4/1. Regis mentions who is on his morning show tomorrow(which means it's not a Friday episode). I'll guess March 27th or 28th, assuming the sale in the ad lasted one week. The Oscars aired on March 25th that year, since the person uploading the video says the mention the Oscars in a previous newsbreak(it's taped off WABC which at the time aired J! at 4PM)
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Bamaman wrote:That is a Monday and I doubt it was on a Monday. The carpet commercial says their sale is on Monday and Tuesday. If the show aired Monday, they likely would have said today and tomorrow.
You can't necessarily take that kind of thing as gospel, particularly when it comes to local commercials -- the business may have been cheap enough that they didn't have a separate "today and tomorrow" version produced, and/or the TV station may have played the wrong version of the commercial.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

One of the commenters on you tube said it was 3/25 but didn't offer any proof. I wish the person who loaded the video had said what they said about the Oscars in the news update. The Oscars were held on the 25th, if the announcer had said it will be on tonight, or said they would review last night's Oscars.

I looked through imdb and didn't see any listing under Namath for being on Regis' show in 1985.
ahirbhairav

Post by ahirbhairav »

legendneverdies wrote:
The sale in one of the ads ended on MOnday 4/1. Regis mentions who is on his morning show tomorrow(which means it's not a Friday episode). I'll guess March 27th or 28th, assuming the sale in the ad lasted one week. The Oscars aired on March 25th that year, since the person uploading the video says the mention the Oscars in a previous newsbreak(it's taped off WABC which at the time aired J! at 4PM)
In that case, the show might--just might--have been pre-empted for the Oscars red carpet and whatnot.