New old games in the J! Archive

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

TenPoundHammer

Re: New old games in the J-Archive

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I have at least one not-yet-archived episode (1/2/04) on tape.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

TenPoundHammer wrote:I have at least one not-yet-archived episode (1/2/04) on tape.
Is that one of the three you sent me (which I have not yet finished working with, and, of which, one I seem to have lost)?

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

bpmod wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:I have at least one not-yet-archived episode (1/2/04) on tape.
Is that one of the three you sent me (which I have not yet finished working with, and, of which, one I seem to have lost)?

Brian
Most likely.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Dave Traini's debut is done: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3934

For some reason I could not get the alt codes to work on my computer for the $600 and $800 clues in literature for Bronte's umlaut and an accented a.

The $800 clue in sports seems like Vanya's kind.

For nutrition $400 I have no idea how to do the little numbers.

The judges were on the lenient side for US States $1000 and Crazy Talk $400.

For Rosalie's (A former champ brought back from the previous season) FJ response I did nothing since nothing extra was said by her or Alex about it. On close inspection it looks like she may have had another thought. You can see it here:

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote:Dave Traini's debut is done: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3934

For some reason I could not get the alt codes to work on my computer for the $600 and $800 clues in literature for Bronte's umlaut and an accented a.

If it's just straight HTML,

& euml; (no space) for the e, & agrave; (no space) for the a, <sub></sub> to subscript.

But not sure how j-arcode works and if anything gets filtered.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Volante wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:Dave Traini's debut is done: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3934

If it's just straight HTML,

& euml; (no space) for the e, & agrave; (no space) for the a, <sub></sub> to subscript.

But not sure how j-arcode works and if anything gets filtered.
Thanks, all of that worked.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

The category in which phrases meaning crazy are rephrased has a typo where there's a zero left off. I didn't get it right because that really confused me!
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Hauling 999 bricks when you should have 100 is crazy.
Ivoryface86

Post by Ivoryface86 »

Mark, what was Steve Cowie's cash winnings total going into the episode you just recapped and how many games did he win?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Thanks, seaborgium. The bricks are fixed.

For Steve's total it's one day based on Alex's opening and the total is $14,801. I had it under the link on Steve's name for the archive game. I wasn't sure how to handle his total since he wasn't previously in the archive.

For Curtis Warren and Chub Feeney I think it's season two in the spring of 1986? I found a partial of the Curtis game and before it was an episode of a TV show I could pinpoint to April 1986. Chub was on a different tape, but I suspect it was the same season.

The tapes have terrible audio and major tracking problems, so it's not even worth it to upload any of it to YouTube. Here's what the guys looked like. Curtis must have double-dipped because I saw him tape his appearance on Sale of the Century in December of 1985.

Just in case some wise guys asks, Curtis is the younger guy before he went with the wild "Greed" hair.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

MarkBarrett wrote: For Curtis Warren and Chub Feeney I think it's season two in the spring of 1986? I found a partial of the Curtis game and before it was an episode of a TV show I could pinpoint to April 1986. Chub was on a different tape, but I suspect it was the same season.

The tapes have terrible audio and major tracking problems, so it's not even worth it to upload any of it to YouTube. Here's what the guys looked like. Curtis must have double-dipped because I saw him tape his appearance on Sale of the Century in December of 1985.
Curtis managed to get on two shows that close in airdates apart? That's interesting. Game shows were subscribing to the one year between appearances on shows rule pretty often back then. Randy West's Hit Man appearance in 1983 was aborted because the last show was his first appearance, and it wasn't counted against his appearance rules, as he appeared on Press Your Luck roughly six months later.
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

MarkBarrett wrote:For Curtis Warren and Chub Feeney I think it's season two in the spring of 1986?
According to this newspaper dated Sunday, March 2, 1986, Chub Feeney appeared on the show the prior week, which means some time between February 24th and the 28th.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

So his prize that day was $99? [/sarcasm]
Ivoryface86

Post by Ivoryface86 »

MarkBarrett wrote:Thanks, seaborgium. The bricks are fixed.

For Steve's total it's one day based on Alex's opening and the total is $14,801. I had it under the link on Steve's name for the archive game. I wasn't sure how to handle his total since he wasn't previously in the archive.
So, Johnny back then didn't use the "whose 1-day" line, it was simply "whose cash winnings total", he didn't use the "whose 1-day cash winnings" line until at least after the inaugural Seniors Tournament, in which Alex uses the lines "Tomorrow" and "See you on Monday" permanently, which he began using in the regular games after the 1986 TOC.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

seaborgium wrote:The category in which phrases meaning crazy are rephrased has a typo where there's a zero left off. I didn't get it right because that really confused me!
In that category
"This is Crazy"
Shouldn't that number be
1,000, maybe?

-M
Admit it, you heard that being sung in her voice, didn't you?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Tritle #2 5/17/02 is now complete: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1102

Check out what happened on clue #30 of the DJ round before jumping to FJ. Please let me know anything to fix. I took my best guess with Google's help on Art $400 and $2000 since I had no clue wording to copy.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MarkBarrett wrote:Tritle #2 5/17/02 is now complete: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1102

Check out what happened on clue #30 of the DJ round before jumping to FJ.
Ouch.

First time I've ever heard the name mentioned in that FJ!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

You probably won't remember this even if it comes up on today's show, but he is the main character in a series of books written by Tom Clancy. One of the books was The Hunt for Red October.
Jeff-thecdboy

Post by Jeff-thecdboy »

MarkBarrett wrote:Check out what happened on clue #30 of the DJ round before jumping to FJ.
If I saw I was tied with someone before the last DJ clue is read (assuming third place won't be a factor), I would just put the signaling device down and hope the other contestant realizes that they're tied with me as well.
jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

Jeff-thecdboy wrote:If I saw I was tied with someone before the last DJ clue is read (assuming third place won't be a factor), I would just put the signaling device down and hope the other contestant realizes that they're tied with me as well.
in this game, third place certainly was a factor, as he had $9200 to the co-leaders' $15000 prior to clue 30. but anything over $5500 would potentially be relevant.

as a larger point, this is not a sound strategy even if 3rd is locked out, principally because you are not allowed to explicitly cooperate with an opponent even if doing so would be mutually beneficial. you can "hope" all you want but the historical record seems to indicate that many players who are tied going into FJ don't even understand the basics of the scenario, and the ones that do seem to be overwhelmingly more likely to go all-in than wager the "cooperative" $0... and of course, they are right to do so, precisely because their opponent is likely to.

this season, i can remember two prisoner's dilemma situations (co-leaders, 3rd place locked out): in this game, both players went all-in, and in this one, one went all-in and the other made a frankly nonsensical (sorry cathy) $1000 wager—which worked out fine because she had a single-get (of course, she wins on a single-get no matter what her wager).

all of which is to say, it's not actually a great situation to be tied going into FJ with 3rd locked out. (it is great if you're in 3rd and the leaders are tied!) so i question the validity of a strategy that attempts to engineer such just such a situation in the "hope" that your opponent will play along.