New old games in the J! Archive

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

GameShowDude
Contributor

Re: New old games in the J-Archive

Post by GameShowDude »

MarkBarrett wrote:Archivist-wise there are a few of us sitting on more games than the average person.
I have many Jeopardy episodes that have yet to be archived. If you'd like to archive them I can let you trade with me for them by e-mailing me at the address in my profile. It sounds like you may have a lot of episodes that I don't have.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Phil Yellman #4 from 3/18/92 is now in: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3947

The FJ segment had something that I would think has happened even fewer times than tie games over the years:

I took a guess on what to capitalize in Great Lakes $800 and whether that was the correct response? My search began with Sioux Saint Marie since that's what it sounded like to me.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

GameShowDude wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:Archivist-wise there are a few of us sitting on more games than the average person.
I have many Jeopardy episodes that have yet to be archived. If you'd like to archive them I can let you trade with me for them by e-mailing me at the address in my profile. It sounds like you may have a lot of episodes that I don't have.
GameShowDude: I have plenty of games not in the archive to keep me busy for many summers. Trading is not my thing, but thanks. Perhaps another archivist would like to contact you?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MarkBarrett wrote:The FJ segment had something that I would think has happened even fewer times than tie games over the years:
I would think that's worth noting in the archive.

Never would've guessed
Spoiler
Finland
in a million years.

Something I've always wondered: Why did it always take so long for the chyron of the clue to show up at the bottom of the screen while the music plays? I've seen this in a lot of old episodes — the music starts playing but the clue doesn't show at the bottom until about 5-7 seconds in.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I guessed
Spoiler
Norway, since those two countries were once unified.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Bamaman wrote:I guessed
Spoiler
Norway, since those two countries were once unified.
Same.
I'd've gotten to the right one on either my second or third guess though. (Admittedly it shouldn't take more than four...)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

TenPoundHammer wrote:...
Never would've guessed
Spoiler
Finland
in a million years...
It was something I learned last year while preparing for trip to that region.
OCSam
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Was something I knew as a geography geek and anthematologist. The
Spoiler
Aland Islands of Finland
are majority Swedish, and the
Spoiler
Finnish
national anthem was written by a Swede and was first published in Swedish. It was many years later that it was translated into the main language of the country, both lyrics are official.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

October 14, 1996 has been added to the archive: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3949

There are a lot of ways to lose on Jeopardy! Some are more painful than others:

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

9/6/95 has been added to the archive: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3951

Look how long it took for John to get in the game.

Shh, don't tell Justin Bernbach (2010 TOC Semi #3) about Tenors $800.

Hammer: I'm hopeful you either got FJ correct or had nothing. Either would be better than the two misses on the show.

"Great" Films gave me an idea for a J! board to have abbreviated clues as I needed nothing past the star's name to know all five clues. I'll have to look for a place to try to create such a monster.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Wrong answers for that FJ have to be some of the best ever.

ETA: her quote, if she said it, is disingenuous. She had been an activist for a long time when she refused to sit in the back of the bus.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MarkBarrett wrote:Hammer: I'm hopeful you either got FJ correct or had nothing. Either would be better than the two misses on the show.
The former.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Vanya wrote:Wrong answers for that FJ have to be some of the best ever.
I would have gone with Dolly Parton, as the quote made me immediately think about "working 9 to 5".
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MarkBarrett wrote:October 14, 1996 has been added to the archive: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3949

There are a lot of ways to lose on Jeopardy! Some are more painful than others:
That reminds me a lot of Liz Murphy's fourth fifth win. On the very last clue, the contestant in third place negged by adding an I to the correct response. Liz wisely rebounded with the I removed, and put herself into a 1st > 2nd + 3rd situation. She won when third had the sole get on FJ. http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=2992 (I don't think Liz had an answer till third place came close. Either way, third would have won with a clam.)

(Note: The reason for the strikethrough is to show what I amended after digging up the game; the rest is from memory. I almost said she also put herself into crush territory, but didn't because I wasn't sure. It turns out she was already there before the last clue was revealed.)
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

At long last the Sister Carol/Rocky/Carolyn game is in.

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3952 (I still need to add the contestant pictures, and the audio for the DD.)

If anyone has a better computer, and can suss out what exactly Sister Carol's FJ cross outs are, I'd be interested to know.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xb3hnk ... shortfilms (fast forward to about 12:30)

-M
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

The video is way too jumpy to make anything out, I could barely see Spain in there. She seemed to mumble Portugal, but I couldn't tell it from her screen.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MinnesotaMyron wrote:If anyone has a better computer, and can suss out what exactly Sister Carol's FJ cross outs are, I'd be interested to know.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xb3hnk ... shortfilms (fast forward to about 12:30)

-M
The "top" one is England. Portugal might be another, but there's no way I could ever be sure.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I happened to find that same game in my collection and I took a couple of pictures of her screen if that helps. In the audio we heard Spain and England and those are visible on the left. For the right? Got me.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

in Mark's still shot I can make out Portugal pretty clearly.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Thanks for the help. It looks like it's probably

Spain
England (crossed out)
&
Portugal (crossed out)
something else (Italy, maybe. Definitely not France)

-M