New old games in the J! Archive

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

ahirbhairav

Re: New old games in the J-Archive

Post by ahirbhairav »

seaborgium wrote:
Robert K S wrote:We have a complete backup of the Jeoparchive (no need to go to the wayback machine).
For you, maybe!

I'd thought it was all ready to be archived at the push of a button, pending any sort of a "go" sign from tdciago herself.

More FJ wagering fun detected: in a game I can't remember, a tie for second place at, say, $8,200. One wagers $8,000, the other wagers $8,175. Both get it right, and first place gets it wrong (of course). And in the Christmas Eve game: third place in negative, second place $8,800, first place $13,200. Perfect two-thirds match, with no pesky third place mucking things up for anyone! So second place wagers $4,401. She is punished for her wager by getting it wrong. Not to be outdone, first place has bet $10,000, and gets it wrong too! Way to go!
tdciago probably doesn't know about this board. Or does she?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I'm pretty sure she more or less quit Jeopardy around the UToC. I'd imagine she's aware of the board.
Jeff-thecdboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Jeff-thecdboy »

With the upcoming summer hiatus coming up soon, I hope you don't mind me making these requests for possible "new" Archive entries or possible YouTube intro uploads for this summer.

J-ARCHIVE ENTRIES
Any episodes from the 1990-91, 1991-92, and/or 1994-95 seasons (I don't care if they're regular or tournament episodes)

YOUTUBE INTRO UPLOADS
The intro to the Feb-Mar 1999 Teen Tournament (the one that Melissa Sexstone won)
The intro to the Summer 1999 Armed Forces Week
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Jeff-thecdboy wrote:With the upcoming summer hiatus coming up soon, I hope you don't mind me making these requests for possible "new" Archive entries or possible YouTube intro uploads for this summer.

J-ARCHIVE ENTRIES
Any episodes from the 1990-91, 1991-92, and/or 1994-95 seasons (I don't care if they're regular or tournament episodes)

YOUTUBE INTRO UPLOADS
The intro to the Feb-Mar 1999 Teen Tournament (the one that Melissa Sexstone won)
Making a preemptive strike. Noted.
Jeff-thecdboy

Post by Jeff-thecdboy »

This YouTube user has some games uploaded that are not in the Archive yet:

http://www.youtube.com/user/kingskip98/videos?view=0
kingskip
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kingskip »

Also, can you work on finishing adding the rest of Season 13 and also getting the rest of Season 20 from the old Jeoparchive site?
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

kingskip wrote:Also, can you work on finishing adding the rest of Season 13 and also getting the rest of Season 20 from the old Jeoparchive site?
Robert had chimed in on your second point earlier. He has written a script that will input all of season 20 from Ronnie's old site (which has been saved to the j-archive server), but not all of the bugs have been worked out yet. And I thought you were interested in joining the archive team. What happened with that?

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
kingskip
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kingskip »

bpmod wrote:
kingskip wrote:Also, can you work on finishing adding the rest of Season 13 and also getting the rest of Season 20 from the old Jeoparchive site?
Robert had chimed in on your second point earlier. He has written a script that will input all of season 20 from Ronnie's old site (which has been saved to the j-archive server), but not all of the bugs have been worked out yet. And I thought you were interested in joining the archive team. What happened with that?

Brian
I am still interested in joining the archive team and I had asked Robert KS about it last summer but I never heard back. What do I do next to get on board the archive? I've got lots of episodes that need to be archived.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

kingskip wrote:
bpmod wrote:

Brian
I am still interested in joining the archive team and I had asked Robert KS about it last summer but I never heard back. What do I do next to get on board the archive? I've got lots of episodes that need to be archived.
I know Robert had had some technical issues with adding members to the team, but I believe those issues got fixed. I also know Robert has been very busy with school, so I am thinking as soon as he has some time to think about it, he will get to it. I, however, am not an authority.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

bpmod wrote:I, however, am not an authority.

Brian
Whoa! There's a first time for everything I guess.
montanaric
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by montanaric »

I've got game #69 on disc and can upload it as well as update the srchive boards. That game seems to have slipped through the cracks. The video isn't great. It is a digital copy of a vhs copy of a beta tape recorded via rabbit ears (OK...I'm old, lol)
I'm not sure how to best do that to make certain they reach the appropriate sites. A little guidance would be appreciated.

Ric Moser
1985 TOX semi-finalist
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

montanaric wrote: It is a digital copy of a vhs copy of a beta tape recorded via rabbit ears (OK...I'm old, lol)
Shouldn't there be a laserdisc, or an 8 mm videotape in there somewhere? ;)
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

montanaric wrote:I've got game #69 on disc and can upload it as well as update the srchive boards. That game seems to have slipped through the cracks. The video isn't great. It is a digital copy of a vhs copy of a beta tape recorded via rabbit ears (OK...I'm old, lol)
I'm not sure how to best do that to make certain they reach the appropriate sites. A little guidance would be appreciated.

Ric Moser
1985 TOX semi-finalist
Many/most of the games I've entered have been from disks that have been mailed to me. If this is an option, email me at [email protected] (note the middle initial M in there.) If you have a digital copy, that's even easier. Just let me know where to find it, and, since it's summer time, I'll bump it to the top of the pile.

-Myron
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Welcome to the board, Ric!!!! Your tape would finish off your run in the archive.

Would Ric be the earliest airing contestant to ever grace our boards (and our previous one)? I know Burns Cameron posted some, but I'm asking about the Trebek version.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Bamaman wrote:Welcome to the board, Ric!!!! Your tape would finish off your run in the archive.

Would Ric be the earliest airing contestant to ever grace our boards (and our previous one)? I know Burns Cameron posted some, but I'm asking about the Trebek version.
I'm pretty sure that is the case (although Sage on the Hudson has never specified exactly when in the first season he was on).

As for finishing off Ric's run, that would make him the earliest ToCer who's fully archived. I consider Paul Rouffa to be the current holder of that title, because while all Chuck Forrest's 13 games are in the Archive, his second game is missing the first 13 clues.

Ric, have you seen this ad for the 1985 ToC on YouTube? http://youtube.com/watch?v=FGzw4PHYeXg
montanaric
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by montanaric »

seaborgium wrote:
Bamaman wrote:Welcome to the board, Ric!!!! Your tape would finish off your run in the archive.

I'm pretty sure that is the case (although Sage on the Hudson has never specified exactly when in the first season he was on).

As for finishing off Ric's run, that would make him the earliest ToCer who's fully archived. I consider Paul Rouffa to be the current holder of that title, because while all Chuck Forrest's 13 games are in the Archive, his second game is missing the first 13 clues.

Ric, have you seen this ad for the 1985 ToC on YouTube? http://youtube.com/watch?v=FGzw4PHYeXg
Really cool...thanks. I'm still just as beautiful, lol.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

SK42388 has 7/20/1988 AKA Bruce Naegeli game five at their Youtube page, with original commercials and the WOF fee plugs and ending from that night's rerun(Jack Clark did the summer rerun fee plugs early on for WHeel that SUmmer, but died the day after this show aired). Bruce's game five is pretty historic, as his winning total was the second highest one day total at the time(Kevin Frear set the one day mark two weeks before this game aired, but Alex had apparently forgotten that going into the final commercial break), and his five day total was second or third for regular games at the time too IIRC.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Jeff-thecdboy wrote:With the upcoming summer hiatus coming up soon, I hope you don't mind me making these requests for possible "new" Archive entries or possible YouTube intro uploads for this summer.

J-ARCHIVE ENTRIES

YOUTUBE INTRO UPLOADS
Here is the intro to the second Armed Forces Week game from 6/29/99. The beginning of the first one was missed on my tape.

Here is the intro to the first game of the 2/22/99 Teen Tournament. The video and audio quality is poor. VCRs and tapes in 2013 - that's life.

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

This week my goal is to get John Ryan 1-5 in the archive. His debut is done: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4213

On introduction Fran La Bruto was introduced with that spelling while his daughter played as Labruto. I was not sure of the proper phrasing to note on Fran's page that his daughter Nicole later played.

What is the story with the Castro plot?

How did Judith go home after her miss in Sports, not to mention there not being a rebound?

Was the boxing TS any easier back in 1987?

Make sure to take a guess at Science $1000 before seeing the correct response.

Another archivist recently added this game with a classic DJ! round: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4209
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

MarkBarrett wrote:This week my goal is to get John Ryan 1-5 in the archive. His debut is done: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4213

Make sure to take a guess at Science $1000 before seeing the correct response.
That clue states that he was born in 1861, but according to Wiki, the exact day and year of his birth are unknown, but he is believed to have been born in 1864. My incorrect guess was...
Spoiler
Thomas Edison, because this past April I visited the Edison & Ford Winter Estates Museum in Fort Myers, Florida, where I learned that Edison and Henry Ford were good friends, spending the winters in Florida together, and that they worked together at various points trying to find natural sources of rubber in the area. Except for the date of birth, Edison seems like he would have been a better response to that clue, according to this line that I found here, referring to work being done by Edison, Ford, and Harvey Firestone: "It was not until later in Edison's life (around 1928) that they finally deduced that the weed Goldenrod (Solidago leavenworthii) was the best producer of latex."