Tuesday, April 17, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6357, 2012-04-17

CONTESTANTS
Evan Nolan, a contract attorney from Winchester, Massachusetts
Mary Harris, a knitting store owner from Seattle, Washington
Michelle LaLonde, a law librarian from Novi, Michigan (whose 1-day cash winnings total $18,500)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to our show. The weather's getting better, but the games are getting tougher. It's been very difficult this spring to get multiple winning champions. Michelle became champion yesterday. Hard to win two or three in a row. Will she succeed? We'll find out in this half hour. Mary and Evan, welcome aboard. Good luck. Let's go to work in the Jeopardy! Round, shall we? I'm ready to read the clues in these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THEY WROTE FOR ENCYCLOPEDIA BRITANNICA (4/5)
WILL SMITH MOVIES (5/5)
WHAT MAKES IT GO? (4/5)
COWBOY TALK (1/2, including 1 correct Daily Double)
A SINGLE TREE (4/5)
ENDS WITH "W" (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Evan: 9 R, 0 W
Mary: 8 R, 2 W
Michelle: 5 R (including 1 DD), 0 W

Clues revealed: 27
Triple Stumpers: 5
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,400

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Mary: $2,400
Evan: $1,600
Michelle: $400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: I'm not always excited when my birthday rolls around, and Evan Nolan from Winchester, Massachusetts, is not too excited when his birthday rolls around. On his 30th, what happened?

Evan: I was both bitten by a monkey and electrocuted.

Alex: My gosh. What were the circumstances?

Evan: Uh... uh, my wife and I were--my wife Valerie and I were in Bali, and we went to the Sacred Monkey Forest in Ubud, and I'd fed a rambutan to one monkey, and another one wanted one, and he jumped at me, and I actually got out of his way, but in so doing, went back to the first monkey, and he bit me right in the arm. Uh, we stuffed some hand sanitizer in there, and then, uh, went back the hotel, we went to turn on the light, and the cord is one of those ones with the little circle switch...

Alex: Mm-hmm.

Evan: And there was an exposed wire--big, blue spark--and end up jumping backwards. I didn't get any superpowers. I think I need to be bitten by an electric monkey--but, uh, yeah, it was--it was an eventful day.

[Alex chuckles.]

Alex: Mary Harris is a knitting store owner from Seattle, Washington, who wasn't too excited when she visited a beautiful country, Ireland, and why is that?

Mary: I hate potatoes.

Alex: What?

Mary: I know. It's--

Alex: How can you hate potatoes?

Mary: I'm the only person I've ever met, like that. It's--it's bizarre, but they make me nauseous.

Alex: Instead of potatoes, what do you like? Rice?

Mary: Rice, yeah. Pasta. Yeah.

Alex: Rice. Okay, good.

Alex: Michelle LaLonde is a law librarian from Michigan. LaLonde--French-Canadian-sounding name.

Michelle: Mm-hmm.

Alex: You've competed as a member of an international team in trivia competitions.

Michelle: That's correct. Uh, when I was an undergraduate at the University of Michigan, I played on, um, their academic competition teams, and in 1996, when we won the national college bowl title, we went over to the U.K. to play against the British champion, um, who were all from, uh, University College in London, and, um, they were all Ph.D. students, we were four undergrads and a grad student, and we beat them.

Alex: You beat 'em! Good for you. All right. I like to hear that.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Michelle found the Daily Double on the 27th clue. Michelle had $1,600, Mary had $3,800, and Evan was at $4,600. Michelle made it a True Daily Double, wagering $1,600.

COWBOY TALK $800: As a verb, it meant to shoot someone; as a noun it referred to a rectangular bar of chewing tobacco
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]
(Alex: And that gives you $3,200 at the end of the round. You're still in third place, which means you get to go first in the Double Jeopardy! Round when we come back after this.)
[The contestants laugh as Alex realizes that the shark from clue #21 is swimming through the air behind him.]
[The sizzler clip for the week on jeopardy.com showed Alex subsequently boxing the shark in the nose.]

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THEY WROTE FOR ENCYCLOPEDIA BRITANNICA $600: Carl Sagan took on this vast topic, with thoughts on the "intelligent" type "beyond the solar system"
(Mary: What are beings? Intelligent beings?)

A SINGLE TREE $800: In a Japanese forest of mighty cedars, you can rest on one that didn't endure, called Wilson's this

ENDS WITH "W" $1000: A large sea wave

WHAT MAKES IT GO? $1000: This rocket named for the color of Alabama rock lifted the first U.S. satellite into space
(Alex: Less than a minute to go now, Michelle.)

COWBOY TALK $1000: It's the money used to finance a miner's activities
(Mary: What's a pay stake?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Evan: $4,600
Mary: $3,800
Michelle: $3,200
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, April 17, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
PIG LATIN LATIN (1/1) (Alex: ...you must respond in Pig Latin.)
NUMERICAL TITLES (1/5)
CELEBRITY NAMES (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
I'VE GOT 2 TICKETS TO PARADISE (5/5)
PACK YOUR BAGS (4/5)
WE'LL LEAVE TONIGHT (3/4, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Mary: 9 R (including 1 rebound), 3 W
Michelle: 5 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Evan: 3 R (including 1 rebound), 4 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 25
Triple Stumpers: 7
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $9,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Evan snagged the next Daily Double on the 16th clue. Michelle had $2,800, Mary had $3,800, and Evan was at $5,400. Evan wagered $3,200.

CELEBRITY NAMES $2000: He got his name in utero after he kicked his pregnant mom as she was looking at a da Vinci painting
(Evan: I have no idea. Who is Kurt Cobain?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Michelle who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 24th clue. Michelle had $5,600, Mary had $7,400, and Evan was at $2,200. Michelle wagered $2,000.

WE'LL LEAVE TONIGHT $1600: On June 20, 1791 she influenced her husband to flee Paris; too bad his picture was on the nation's paper money
(Alex: Correct. They got stopped.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
PACK YOUR BAGS $1600: Seen here is an old commercial that showed the durability of luggage from this national brand
(Mary: What is Samsonite?)
(Evan: What is National Tourister?)

NUMERICAL TITLES $400: Jules Verne:

NUMERICAL TITLES $1200: Luigi Pirandello:
(Evan: What is Six Degrees of Separation?)

NUMERICAL TITLES $1600: Reginald Rose:

NUMERICAL TITLES $2000: John O'Hara:
(Alex: The movie starred Elizabeth Taylor.)

CELEBRITY NAMES $800: This real first name of Mia Hamm is also the first name of an actress-granddaughter of Ernest Hemingway
(Evan: What is Muriel?)
(Mary: What is Margaux?)

WE'LL LEAVE TONIGHT $2000: On Oct. 15, 1946, the night his execution was ordered, this No. 2 Nazi took a 1-way trip via poison in his Nuremberg cell

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Michelle: $8,800
Mary: $7,400
Evan: $2,200

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
MUSEUMS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place. Shore's Conjecture.
Michelle: Wager $6,001 to cover Mary. Or, you could try out a Shoretegic bet of $1,601.
Mary: Your score is within 4/5ths of Michelle's, so wager between $2,801 (venusian) and $2,999 (martian), beating Michelle's maximum safe bet of the difference between your scores while still covering against a doubled score on Evan's part.
Evan: You just can't cover a rational wager by Mary, nor can you win on a Triple Stumper. Improve your situation by wagering everything but a few bucks--and then getting Final right!

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
For 2010 & 2011, it's gotten more visitors than any other single museum in the U.S.

FINAL SCORES
Evan: $2,200 - $2,189 = $11 (What is Smithsonian Museum of American History) (3rd place: $1,000)
Mary: $7,400 - $1,500 = $5,900 (What is the Smithsonian?) (New champion: $5,900)
Michelle: $8,800 - $5,500 = $3,300 (What is the Metropolitan Museum of Art?) (2nd place: $2,000)
(Alex: About 15 million visitors in those 2 years.)
(Alex: It's part of the Smithsonian, [*]. We're in the Space Age!)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $14,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Michelle: $7,600, 10 R (including 2 DDs), 1 W
Mary: $7,400, 17 R, 5 W
Evan: $5,400, 12 R, 4 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $20,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Mary: 17/58 = .293
Evan: 12/59 = .203
Michelle: 10/60 = .167
Team: 39/63 = .619

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
A SINGLE TREE $400: The bald cypress named for this Aztec ruler is known for its massive trunk, seen here in an example in Mexico

WHAT MAKES IT GO? $200: (Kelly of the Clue crew points at the rear area of a remote-control inflated shark toy floating around her.) Just like the real thing, our helium-filled shark is propelled by the side-to-side movement of this rear appendage, also called the caudal fin

PACK YOUR BAGS $2000: This company with a biblical hero in its name makes the Tote-a-Ton duffle
(Mary: What is Samson?)

PIG LATIN LATIN $400: Anthropologists consider each modern human a wise man, as he's Omohay...
(Michelle: Uh, what is Homo?)
(Alex: That's it, yes, you have to respond in Pig Latin; Michelle forgot.)

WE'LL LEAVE TONIGHT $400: 822 aircraft with parachutists & gliders hit the skies during the night preceding this June 6, 1944 event
(Alex: And less than a minute to go now.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
plug
life
Stump
billow
the Redstone rocket
a grubstake
Leonardo DiCaprio
Marie Antoinette
American Tourister
Five Weeks in a Balloon
Six Characters in Search of an Author
12 Angry Men
Butterfield 8
Mariel
Hermann Göring
the National Air & Space Museum
Montezuma
a tailfin
Samsonite
Apienssay
the storming of the beach of Normandy (D-Day}
heisman65
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Tuesday, April 17, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by heisman65 »

Here's Exhibit A in showing how hard the games were this week. Even Alex laments the recent dearth of multiple-game champs. That first round seemed particularly hard (billow? Redstone? grubstake? green for diesel (I guessed ethanol)?), the second not so much, except for that killer Numerical Titles category and Mariel Hemingway (although Manhattan is one of my all-time fave films). Also, not sure how you were supposed to get to Hawaii by the info given. Could've been Florida.

Don't get me started on Pig Latin Latin. I think it's a bit much to assume that everyone knows the rules of Pig Latin. All three contestants were probably relieved they didn't have to answer any more of those questions. And I'll be impressed if anyone gets that FJ.

I remember Evan's frustration, on stage and in the green room, too, and I don't blame him a bit. Smart, affable guy who I think deserved better.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

I think the quality of the writing has been rather poor lately. The mistakes/bad choices have included obvious spelling errors ("thier"), incomprehensible or misleading clues, and weird, idiosyncratic categories that neither the contestants nor the viewers seem to understand. I'm not quite sure what to attribute it to, but overall the mistakes and bad writing seem to point to a lack of proofreading or editing (possibly due to cuts in staff?) In other words, it looks like just one writer is putting together the whole board, and no one is really checking the writer's work or vetoing poorly thought-out clues or categories.
heisman65
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by heisman65 »

That Carl Sagan clue was particularly hard to parse: "Carl Sagan took on this vast subject, with thoughts on the 'intelligent' type 'beyond the solar system.'"

"This vast subject" points me to Cosmos, his most famous work, but the back end leads me somewhere else, and it's hard to know exactly what they're looking for. Mary did well to come up with "beings," IMO.
thenextofken
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by thenextofken »

Frankly, I was not a fan of that Final. When the clue was announced, I wracked my brain for something significant that happened around 2009-2010 that might've made a certain museum see an increase in traffic. Finally I went with Smithsonian, which Alex said was too broad. But what was the TOM in that clue, the years? And from that, how were we supposed to come up with "Space Age?" Yesterday's clue was good because if you knew Hal Holbrook played Mark Twain, you could've easily gone from Harold to Hal. But today's clue was trivia, pure and simple. Not up to the usual FJ standards, imho.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Museums
For 2010 & 2011, it's gotten more visitors than any other single museum in the U.S.
Spoiler
What is the National Air and Space Museum? Evan said the Smithsonian Museum of American History; Mary said the Smithsonian; Michelle said the Metropolitan Museum of Art.
Michelle LaLonde: $8,800-$5,500=$3,300
Mary Harris: $7.400-$2,500=$5,900...now a 1-day champion with $5,900
Evan Nolan: $2,200-$2,189=$11
Last edited by jeff6286 on Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Please tell me someone's planning to add that inflatable shark thing to YouTube.

====

0/5 on Will Smith. My precall of Wild Wild West never showed up. I knew he was in Independence Day, but it didn't register when the clue came up.

Mind said tail fin, mouth said dorsal fin. I have no excuse; I've been reading Fish Police comics all day. Only work I've ever seen that has anthropomorphic fish NOT walking on their tail fins.

Is Richard Burton's real name that well known? And the rest of Celebrity Names was just way out of my league. Nothing sounded remotely familiar.

And is 5 Weeks in a Balloon really $400 box material? That whole category was basically a game of Numberwang for me.

====

Geez, could FJ! be any more vague?! Why not just make the clue "It's a US Museum"?
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

I love how everyone avoided the Pig Latin category like it was on fire.

For FJ, given that they only wanted a VERY specific part of the Smithsonian,
a) that museum attendance figure is a well-known fact
b) there was an obvious TOM that I and the contestants missed, or
c) the writers need to be tarred and feathered
I'll reserve judgement until more boardies weigh in, but I'm not a happy camper right now.

ETA:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Please tell me someone's planning to add that inflatable shark thing to YouTube.
Seconded.
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DWS
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by DWS »

Not a good game to watch, especially the DJ round. I didn't think the boards were overly difficult, considering the Lach Trash I accumulated.

As for FJ, the correct response wouldn't have made my top 5 list of possible responses. I had no idea it was that popular.
ACW

Post by ACW »

How can you hate potatoes??? :o
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

So that was kinda horrible. Harder content, a few too many intuitive questions, and contestants who had difficulty negotiating it all.

I agree with the complaints about the writing. Grub stake (steak?) was a big huh. "Billow" was fair enough, I suppose, but you usually see it as "billows." "Redstone" rockets are NASA lore, there still may be the Redstone Arsenal in Alabama, I think they're fair for $1000. My grouses were something like the monorail and parade trying to talk me out of saying "electricity," and some question about a @#$%ing stump in a category on trees. That stump question was just silly.

I said "biodiesel" for the green handled fuel - since they took diesel, I'm toying with crediting it, since I've seen biodiesel handles that are green. Also: biodiesel is, metaphorically, green.

I ran Numerical Titles, though I agree that when "5 Weeks in a Balloon" is your $200 it's a very hard category.

I would have enjoyed the Pig Latin, I think. Remember what I said last week, when I remarked that if the show would just EXPLAIN categories to contestants over the break, things would run more smoothly? Great example of that there. Tell them what is up, give them an example, make them seem super smart on TV.

I do think I have wised up to the awful writing some, as on the Sagan question I said to myself, "I am going to say the whole title of the article out loud" just to make sure I said "life." So that was my trick for that.

They should have had Goring. Or, someone should have risked it, at least.

The reason why FJ is so terrible is actually pretty simple. First of all, the National Air and Space Museum is USUALLY the most visited museum in the country. I did a little Google search afterward and that seems to confirm it. However, it's not always the most visited - some times the Museum of Natural History will slip ahead. But, still, usually. Maybe even in 2008 and 2009, too.

So I am reading this question and thinking, "Well, there has to be something going in the last two years that made something other than the Nat'l Air and Space museum the top one. Perhaps that new Edvar-Hazy (or however you spell it) Center took away too many visitors." And there is nothing really to the question other than this museum gets a lot of visitors - no location, nothing.

So I struggled with the 9/11 museum for half of the time, thinking "recent." But it's not open yet!

So I settled on the Metropolitan, since I was still around NYC by that point.

A DC museum makes the most sense - think of all the little kids visiting, and the great location. But @#$% them if they didn't talk me out of saying National Air and Space Museum by adding a prepositional phrase. SPACE AGE, I know. I suspect it will poll decent, but still, shoddy question.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

Did the showrunners tell the contestants to be specific when answering FJ? (ducks)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I was amused that one of the contestants was named Mary Harris, as that's my mom's maiden name.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

xxaaaxx wrote:ETA:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Please tell me someone's planning to add that inflatable shark thing to YouTube.
Seconded.
I'll provide the vid if somebody wants to upload it.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I agree, this board was bad. I don't understand why we can have a good one like last night's and then a crappy one like tonight's.

I got lucky on Goring. I always get him, Himmler, and Bormann confused. There is no way I would have been brave enough pull the trigger at $2000, unless I was in a do or die position.

On the surface the FJ clue was vague and trivial, but I got it right by guessing what I thought was the most famous museum in the United States. And if the writers told the contestants ahead of time that they had to be specific with their response to the FJ clue then the Smithsonian would be the first place where I would head. It wasn't a good clue but it was at least guessable.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

As Alex said, we are in the Space Age, so we obviously should have known it. After all, we just broke the sound barrier the other day, and I think we may have put a man on the moon at some point recently, so it seems entirely obvious that being right in the heart of the space age, we should have known that the National Air & Space Museum was the way to go.

I immediately wrote down Smithsonian, was unsure of whether or not it would be too broad, but didn't really know what else to guess. I toyed with changing to 9/11 Museum, even though I wasn't even sure if it existed or was open yet. That would have made a lot of sense if it was planning to open in time for the 10th anniversary, and maybe it got done early and opened in early 2010, but I wasn't convinced of its existence enough to cross out Smithsonian. Obviously it wouldn't have mattered.
Austin Powers wrote: I said "biodiesel" for the green handled fuel - since they took diesel, I'm toying with crediting it, since I've seen biodiesel handles that are green. Also: biodiesel is, metaphorically, green.
But unless that particular submarine runs on biodiesel, I don't think you can count that. I thought that one was pretty easy, as I only know of two types of power for submarines: diesel and nuclear, and I figured the green handle was meant to point us toward diesel, even though if you asked me what color a diesel handle was on a gas pump I wouldn't have been able to tell you.
billy pilgrim

Post by billy pilgrim »

I thought of Air & Space only because NASA was so much in the news for the last shuttle launch recently and couldn't think of any other reason for another museum to be crowded. I also wondered if this was to coincide with Discovery going there today. That's pretty cold if they did that.
She caught the Katy and left me a mule to ride.
alamble

Post by alamble »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Is Richard Burton's real name that well known?
Doesn't have to be, it's well-known enough that he's the only man Liz Taylor married twice.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

StevenH wrote:It wasn't a good clue but it was at least guessable.
That's like saying "Name one of the 649 Pokémon" is guessable without anything else to narrow down the field. My favorite animal is the otter, so I go with Oshawott. Someone less familiar with the game might say a more famous one like Pikachu, Mewtwo or Lucario. And then it turns out they were going for Magikarp.

As I said, the clue might as well have been "Name a museum". Only some factoid about said museum that apparently isn't even that good a gauge of its notability and literally nothing else to go on.
alamble wrote:Doesn't have to be, it's well-known enough that he's the only man Liz Taylor married twice.
By "She could've been Mrs. Whomever twice", I thought it meant she married someone else whose last name was the same as Burton's real name.