Tuesday, April 17, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

TenPoundHammer

Re: Tuesday, April 17, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer »

HugoZ wrote:It's not a huge leap to guess that a DC museum would get more visitors than any other.
Really now? Doesn't seem that obvious to me. DC and NY both have dozens of museums, and it seems just as logical to me that literally ANY of them could be the most visited since those are the first two cities I think of when I think of popular museums.
HugoZ wrote:Lest I be accused of preaching from my high horse, I can assure you that I am on a short pony and my feet are dragging on the ground.
I'm just surprised you got Pinkie Pie to sit still long enough to get on her.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

TenPoundHammer wrote:I'm just surprised you got Pinkie Pie to sit still long enough to get on her.
"Yeah, and she...."
"Ha! Not only that, but..."
"Get on her? I hardly..."
"Wait 'til you see..."

Damn there's too many routes to take! Anyone got a definitive direction?
whoisalexjacob
2015 TOC'er

Post by whoisalexjacob »

Well I don't know if I'd say it was so badly written, but wow I found that game to be very difficult, except for the softball Marie Antoinette dd. The show is pretty harsh on people not understanding the category, so I definitely don't think anyone would be getting any credit for an oddball interpretation of what the 5 meant. That category was also extremely difficult, and I'm guessing most people were thrown due to not being familiar with that book, rather than any flaw in the category format. But I don't mind the step up in difficulty...

I should admit (though I'm a little embarrassed to do so) that I was right with Evan in thinking "uhh.. Cobain...?"

No idea on the FJ either, it does seem like the kind of thing for which they'd normally give a little hint, but I guess this time they felt the fact was knowable enough to ask for by itself.

Boo-hoo to Captain Canada (if you're seriously complaining). You know what you're in for with this show, and they actually do ask about Canada relatively often.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Volante wrote:
Magna wrote:
davey wrote:I'm annoyed at the contestants for avoiding Pig Latin Latin...sounded like fun, and couldn't have been harder than the clues we saw...
Based on the explanation Alex gave, it's possible they thought the entire response had to be in Pig Latin (not just the key word). I'd probably have gone for it, but I could see someone being reluctant to try to risk embarrassment and loss of money based on their ability to phrase a whole question in Pig Latin.
Possible if they never touched the category, but we were shown the first clue and the judges accepted "What is apiensay?" (sapien).
It doesn't matter here since it doesn't affect the pronunciation, but that's "apienssay"; contestants have been dinged for saying "homo sapien" in the past.

edit: Speaking of precedent...
omgwheelhouse wrote:The show is pretty harsh on people not understanding the category, so I definitely don't think anyone would be getting any credit for an oddball interpretation of what the 5 meant.
They've had categories before with unexplained gimmicks that become clear only after a clue gets negged on, and then reversed the neg because that person's response fit a different interpretation of the clue that thorough explanation of the gimmick would have dispelled.

The one specific example I can name is from Robert K S's second game, in which there was a category "Hybrids" whose gimmick was requiring the contestants to give the two components of each portmanteau in the clues (Alex said "give us the two things that make up the one"). The first clue given was "tangelo," a portmanteau of "tangerine" and "pomelo." But tangelos can be grown by crossbreeding tangerines with grapefruits as well, and since the category name and Alex's explanation didn't rule out naming the botanical components rather than the verbal ones, they gave the contestant who said "tangerine and grapefruit" credit after initially negging her.
Last edited by seaborgium on Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

Just to fan the flames a little more, it's commonly reported that the most-visited museum in the U.S. is the Met (the response Michelle gave).
http://www.theartdossier.com/news/art-n ... -surprise/
http://www.europost.bg/article?id=3493

My guess is that although the people writing these articles use the generic term "museum," they are really counting only art/antiquities museums. Just posted this to point out that you could follow museum news rather closely and still get FJ wrong.
thenextofken
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by thenextofken »

Michelle LaLonde: $8,800-$5,500=$3,300
Mary Harris: $7.400-$2,500=$5,900...now a 1-day champion with $5,900
Evan Nolan: $2,200-$2,189=$11

It ended up being a moot point, but unless I missed it, I don't think anyone has said anything about Michelle's FJ bet. She didn't bet to cover a 2x bet by Mary, but did bet enough to fall behind a 2x bet by Nolan. If she wasn't going to cover, she should've bet no more than 4399 so as to lock Evan out.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

marpocky wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:As if everyone knows we're in the space age (I thought that term only applied to the 60s and 70s — man on the moon and all that)
Everyone does know we're in the space age (or should)...that wasn't really the problem.
Cite?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Magna wrote:Just to fan the flames a little more, it's commonly reported that the most-visited museum in the U.S. is the Met (the response Michelle gave).
http://www.theartdossier.com/news/art-n ... -surprise/
http://www.europost.bg/article?id=3493

My guess is that although the people writing these articles use the generic term "museum," they are really counting only art/antiquities museums. Just posted this to point out that you could follow museum news rather closely and still get FJ wrong.
Which is what they did.

From the first link:
The most visited museums of 2011 were the Louvre in Paris, with 8.9 million visitors; the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York, with 6 million visitors; and the British Museum in London, with 5.8 million visitors.
However, according to http://www.travelandleisure.com/article ... -museums/3
No. 2 Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum, Washington, D.C.

Annual Visitors: 8,300,000
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

In 2010 and 2011, did kids want to see rocket ships or dinosaurs more?
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

Volante wrote:Which is what they did.
Yes, probably. I was just pointing out that the articles only said "the most visited museums," not "the most visited art museums" or something similar.

And fwiw, that Travel & Leisure article doesn't give a year, but it's not 2011, because in 2011 the Met had 5.8 million visitors, not 5.2 as in the Travel & Leisure feature. The year(s) apparently made a difference which museum was the correct response.

To be clear, I'm not trying to argue that the Met was an acceptable response or that the outcome was illegitimate. Just emphasizing that the clue was so obscure it shouldn't have been a FJ.

Note: edited after posting.
Last edited by Magna on Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Paucle wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:I'm just surprised you got Pinkie Pie to sit still long enough to get on her.
"Yeah, and she...."
"Ha! Not only that, but..."
"Get on her? I hardly..."
"Wait 'til you see..."

Damn there's too many routes to take! Anyone got a definitive direction?
Given Rule 34, I'm sure lots of bronies have already taken all of those routes and then some.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Magna wrote:
Volante wrote:Which is what they did.
Yes, probably. I was just pointing out that the articles only said "the most visited museums," not "the most visited art museums" or something similar.

And fwiw, that Travel & Leisure article doesn't give a year. That apparently made a difference which museum was the correct response.
Oop, T&L is from 2010. But yes, it would have made a difference: 2009 the US record holder was the Smithsonian's Natural History museum.

The Louvre, meanwhile, is worldwide record holder every year of its existence.

Edit: Hello nice page of statistics!! And from the Smithsonian proper!
http://newsdesk.si.edu/about/stats
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
marpocky

Post by marpocky »

jkbrat wrote:And I would argue that we are, in fact, no longer in the Space Age as we are no longer sending men (or anyone else) to the moon (or anywhere else) and we are retiring all of our space shuttles
While I get what you mean, and equally regret the (current) lack of American capability to send people into space, I don't think that really ends the Space Age. After all, there are still human space launches, and humans IN space at this very moment. And we (meaning the US this time) still have the capability to send someone into space if we wanted to, not to mention unmanned probes.

A lot of discussion about an offhand comment by Alex.
marpocky

Post by marpocky »

dhkendall wrote:
marpocky wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:As if everyone knows we're in the space age (I thought that term only applied to the 60s and 70s — man on the moon and all that)
Everyone does know we're in the space age (or should)...that wasn't really the problem.
Cite?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

That image is broken in your post. All I get is the word "image".
marpocky

Post by marpocky »

TenPoundHammer wrote:That image is broken in your post. All I get is the word "image".
It was a photo of the NYT from July 21, 1969.
jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

wow, i didn't think this could get any worse, but reading this thread has made the experience of watching yesterday's game seem enjoyable by comparison.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

marpocky wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
marpocky wrote:(TPH quote: As if everyone knows we're in the space age (I thought that term only applied to the 60s and 70s — man on the moon and all that))

Cite?
marpocky wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:That image is broken in your post. All I get is the word "image".
It was a photo of the NYT from July 21, 1969.
(Broken in mine too).

But that's exactly my point (and TPH's too), that newspaper headline is older than I am. I have no argument that in 1969, and through the 70s and 80s even, we were in the Space Age. But this is 2012, we haven't had a man on the moon in 40 years. The Space Shuttle program is winding down. My point is we are *past* the Space Age, and I'm asking for a cite for your assertion that "we [a]re in the space age". (Or did you not know that Ages pass?)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
marpocky

Post by marpocky »

dhkendall wrote:But that's exactly my point (and TPH's too), that newspaper headline is older than I am. I have no argument that in 1969, and through the 70s and 80s even, we were in the Space Age. But this is 2012, we haven't had a man on the moon in 40 years. The Space Shuttle program is winding down. My point is we are *past* the Space Age, and I'm asking for a cite for your assertion that "we [a]re in the space age". (Or did you not know that Ages pass?)
Space Age =/= Moon Age. We ARE still going into space. In some sense the "height" of the Space Age (so far) was the late 50s- early 70s, but it's far from over. There are 6 people aboard the ISS that would probably agree with me.
jkbrat
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jkbrat »

marpocky wrote:
dhkendall wrote:But that's exactly my point (and TPH's too), that newspaper headline is older than I am. I have no argument that in 1969, and through the 70s and 80s even, we were in the Space Age. But this is 2012, we haven't had a man on the moon in 40 years. The Space Shuttle program is winding down. My point is we are *past* the Space Age, and I'm asking for a cite for your assertion that "we [a]re in the space age". (Or did you not know that Ages pass?)
Space Age =/= Moon Age. We ARE still going into space. In some sense the "height" of the Space Age (so far) was the late 50s- early 70s, but it's far from over. There are 6 people aboard the ISS that would probably agree with me.
We still use iron, but are no longer living in the Iron Age.

And, from Wikipedia, that cilantro of sources (either you love it or you hate it :lol: ):

"Since the 1990s, the current period has more often been referred to as the Information Age rather than the Space Age, since space exploration and space-related technologies gained a perception by many people of being commonplace."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_age
There are times I almost think I am not sure of what I absolutely knooooooooo-OW

Learn, Review, Repeat

A Archipelago