Tuesday, April 17, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

heisman65
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Tuesday, April 17, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by heisman65 »

davey wrote:Maybe it's obscure in Anadacay, bub...it also can be learned in about ifteenfay econdssay, on the outside...
Then Lexay Rebektay can easily take 15 seconds to xplaineay … bub. Man, people are right about the nasty tone around here.
Last edited by heisman65 on Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

My first thought on FJ was that in a couple of years it will be the Air & Space Museum because of the space shuttle. But when I was in DC a couple of years ago, I saw more people at both the National Gallery and the Museum of Natural History.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

davey wrote:Maybe it's obscure in Anadacay, bub...it also can be learned in about ifteenfay econdssay, on the outside...
Anadacay-eh?
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

heisman65 wrote:
Then Lexay Rebektay can easily take 15 seconds to xplaineay … bub. Man, people are right about the nasty tone around here.
You said you were tongue in cheek, then followed with an earnest defense. I was being earnest too, but I was hoping the native boisterousness of Pig Latin would cut any note of scolding to my post. (OK, possibly ub-bay might have helped to make that point, but maybe too I didn't properly gauge "bub" on the jokey-to-nasty scale.) I'm not a fan of nastiness or emoticons (still less of LOL, which always makes me think of someone gagging), but I was willing to 1)express some surprise that you don't know Pig Latin (I would be astonished if English-speakers with fluent Pig as a second language don't vastly outnumber those who have a romance language mastered) and 2) demonstrate that it's not too complex for Jeopardy!
davey

Post by davey »

Volante wrote:
Anadacay-eh?
I'm gagging!!
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Come to think of it, I've barely even heard of the Air & Space Museum. I knew there was a space museum, but I didn't know its exact name or where it's at. Nor did I know that the Smithsonian is actually a conglomeration. This clue could've been about the Spam museum for all I know. (By the by, the Spam museum is in an old Kmart, which might make a good clue.)
jkbrat wrote: And it really only adds insult to injury when Alex makes a "well, duh" comment implying that the contestants should have known it because we're in the "Space Age" (um, haven't we been in the Space Age since like the 60s, not just in the specific years "2010 & 2011"?)
Also, as I said before, he tends to "well, duh" at the wrong times. As if everyone knows we're in the space age (I thought that term only applied to the 60s and 70s — man on the moon and all that), or everyone knows Liederkranz entirely from "song" being "lied" in German.

Finally, I knew Pig Latin when I was 8. Where the heck where you guys growing up that you didn't know it?
davey

Post by davey »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Come to think of it, I've barely even heard of the Air & Space Museum. I knew there was a space museum, but I didn't know its exact name or where it's at. Nor did I know that the Smithsonian is actually a conglomeration. This clue could've been about the Spam museum for all I know. (By the by, the Spam museum is in an old Kmart, which might make a good clue.)
jkbrat wrote: And it really only adds insult to injury when Alex makes a "well, duh" comment implying that the contestants should have known it because we're in the "Space Age" (um, haven't we been in the Space Age since like the 60s, not just in the specific years "2010 & 2011"?)
Also, as I said before, he tends to "well, duh" at the wrong times. As if everyone knows we're in the space age (I thought that term only applied to the 60s and 70s — man on the moon and all that), or everyone knows Liederkranz entirely from "song" being "lied" in German.

Finally, I knew Pig Latin when I was 8. Where the heck where you guys growing up that you didn't know it?

Thanks, TPH, yours is the best back-up I could have asked for....I'm not sure many people in this thread have said they didn't know it...
marpocky

Post by marpocky »

TenPoundHammer wrote:As if everyone knows we're in the space age (I thought that term only applied to the 60s and 70s — man on the moon and all that)
Everyone does know we're in the space age (or should)...that wasn't really the problem.
heisman65
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by heisman65 »

davey wrote:
heisman65 wrote:
You said you were tongue in cheek, then followed with an earnest defense. I was being earnest too, but I was hoping the native boisterousness of Pig Latin would cut any note of scolding to my post. (OK, possibly ub-bay might have helped to make that point, but maybe too I didn't properly gauge "bub" on the jokey-to-nasty scale.) I'm not a fan of nastiness or emoticons (still less of LOL, which always makes me think of someone gagging), but I was willing to 1)express some surprise that you don't know Pig Latin (I would be astonished if English-speakers with fluent Pig as a second language don't vastly outnumber those who have a romance language mastered) and 2) demonstrate that it's not too complex for Jeopardy!
Fair enough. I misread your onetay. And I'm obviously on a slandiay about igpay atinlay, obviously.
davey

Post by davey »

heisman65 wrote:...Lexay Rebektay...
BTW, scholars differ, but I think the correct translation is Alexay Ebektray...So I guess PL does have its wrinkles...
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

davey wrote:
heisman65 wrote:...Lexay Rebektay...
BTW, scholars differ, but I think the correct translation is Alexay Ebektray...So I guess PL does have its wrinkles...
Regional dialect? (or maybe Later Pig Latin?)
Frank Hardy

Post by Frank Hardy »

Ooooh, sorry, but in formal Pig Latin, when you have a word that begins with a vowel or a silent consonant, you add "-way" to the end of the word. Thus, Alexway Ebektray.
heisman65
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by heisman65 »

This is getting a bit longer than 15 seconds … anything else I should know? (he said, tongue firmly in cheek)
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

dhkendall wrote:

I agree, essentially no TOM there, and that is the essence of what makes a bad clue.
I won't have time to read this whole thread, so pardon me for jumping on this bandwagon already. And thanks for saying the above. That was my first and abiding impression of this clue. Is there ANYTHING in it that leads anyone to even suspect the Air & Space Museum? Anything? Or are we just supposed to know that hyper-obscure factoid?

Horrible, horrible FJ clue, and shame on the writers. Bah.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Anne Fischer, a shuttle astronaut, was asked by a young student what he should do to prepare for becoming an astronaut. Her reply: Learn Russian.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

John Boy wrote:I won't have time to read this whole thread, so pardon me for jumping on this bandwagon already. And thanks for saying the above. That was my first and abiding impression of this clue. Is there ANYTHING in it that leads anyone to even suspect the Air & Space Museum? Anything? Or are we just supposed to know that hyper-obscure factoid?
Exactly. This factoid is both hyper-obscure and mundane. A museum in a former Kmart, or one specializing in bad art? Now those are interesting and IMO, FJ!-worthy.
jkbrat
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jkbrat »

John Boy wrote:
dhkendall wrote: I agree, essentially no TOM there, and that is the essence of what makes a bad clue.
I won't have time to read this whole thread, so pardon me for jumping on this bandwagon already. And thanks for saying the above. That was my first and abiding impression of this clue. Is there ANYTHING in it that leads anyone to even suspect the Air & Space Museum? Anything? Or are we just supposed to know that hyper-obscure factoid?

Horrible, horrible FJ clue, and shame on the writers. Bah.
Actually, it's worse than a clue having no TOMs because it had a misleading TOM (the dates 2010 and 2011, which apparently have no significance whatsoever).

And I would argue that we are, in fact, no longer in the Space Age as we are no longer sending men (or anyone else) to the moon (or anywhere else) and we are retiring all of our space shuttles. Heck, we don't even have the Concorde anymore so we're no longer even in the Supersonic Age :( .

If anything, I would say we are in the Internet Age, but basing your museum choice on that belief is going to lead to a very unsatisfying FJ! result.
There are times I almost think I am not sure of what I absolutely knooooooooo-OW

Learn, Review, Repeat

A Archipelago
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

jkbrat wrote:And I would argue that we are, in fact, no longer in the Space Age as we are no longer sending men (or anyone else) to the moon (or anywhere else) and we are retiring all of our space shuttles.
I'm wondering when the ages of history and natural history ended.
HugoZ
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by HugoZ »

John Boy wrote:
dhkendall wrote: I agree, essentially no TOM there, and that is the essence of what makes a bad clue.
IMO, while the lack of a TOM makes the clue very difficult, it doesn't make it a flawed clue.

FJ clues aren't written toward some consistent level of difficulty; there are some that are excruciatingly difficult, and some that are excruciatingly easy.

Likewise, some FJ clues require the help of TOM's to come up with the correct answer if you don't now the fact in play, there are others that require proper application of educated guesses.

It's not a huge leap to guess that a DC museum would get more visitors than any other. Nor is it to huge leap that the most popular museum in DC would be the Air & Space (though I could see animal or history buffs going for Natural/American History).

And it's most telling if most of us are saying "You know, that makes sense. I can see that." and not "I can't believe the Air & Space Museum gets more visitors than X or Y". If the correct answer is the most plausible/believable, then there is a path to the answer, it's just not that well-marked.

PS: Lest I be accused of preaching from my high horse, I can assure you that I am on a short pony and my feet are dragging on the ground. I guessed Ellis Island.

PPS: Now "Smithsonian" vs. "Smithsonian Air & Space". that's a Nobel (Peace) Prize of a different color.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

jkbrat wrote:Actually, it's worse than a clue having no TOMs because it had a misleading TOM (the dates 2010 and 2011, which apparently have no significance whatsoever).
I agree completely.