Friday, April 20, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

alietr
Site Admin

Re: Friday, April 20, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by alietr »

bpmod wrote:But why would the general feeling be that when dozens hundreds thousands before and since have responded with last name only as per the rules of the game?
Because the rules of the game are that it's last-name-only when it's unambiguous about who you mean (e.g., Bush/Bush, Adams/Adams).
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

alietr wrote:
bpmod wrote:But why would the general feeling be that when dozens hundreds thousands before and since have responded with last name only as per the rules of the game?
Because the rules of the game are that it's last-name-only when it's unambiguous about who you mean (e.g., Bush/Bush, Adams/Adams).
And what is ambiguous about Jones? Bush/Bush & Adams/Adams are only ambiguous because people with the same surname are known for doing/being the exact same thing. If they can accept Smith when looking for an actress, they can certainly accept Jones when looking for an Olympic athlete.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Austin Powers
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Austin Powers »

bpmod wrote:
alietr wrote:
And what is ambiguous about Jones? Bush/Bush & Adams/Adams are only ambiguous because people with the same surname are known for doing/being the exact same thing. If they can accept Smith when looking for an actress, they can certainly accept Jones when looking for an Olympic athlete.

Brian
Perhaps he meant Deacon Jones?

I agree, bpmod, I think it is silly to suggest that Jennings somehow caught a break, as what he did was pretty clearly within the established set of rules.
GregK
Contributor

Post by GregK »

Also on one show there were inconsistent calls on NFL players nicknames. They negged "Who is Perry" for the Refrigerator and accepted "Jones" for too-tall.

I was amazed as they must be more Jones than Perrys in the NFL.

Then in the break they gave the points to the player who said Perry noting the inconsistency. Of course, that does not clear up which rule was correct - first name required or not in circumstances ONLY where there are two or more FAMOUS people with that name that could be the proper response. Like the "adams" president," of "bach" and "strauss" composers that always require first names. If one famous person and lots of unfamous people, then only last name is OK? Like "Oppenheimer" for the bomb guy when no doubt there are other scientists with the same name nobody would know about?
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

GregK wrote:Also on one show there were inconsistent calls on NFL players nicknames. They negged "Who is Perry" for the Refrigerator and accepted "Jones" for too-tall.

I was amazed as they must be more Jones than Perrys in the NFL.

Then in the break they gave the points to the player who said Perry noting the inconsistency. Of course, that does not clear up which rule was correct - first name required or not in circumstances ONLY where there are two or more FAMOUS people with that name that could be the proper response. Like the "adams" president," of "bach" and "strauss" composers that always require first names. If one famous person and lots of unfamous people, then only last name is OK? Like "Oppenheimer" for the bomb guy when no doubt there are other scientists with the same name nobody would know about?
Yes, but what about the Oppenheimer who came up with the Oppenheimer Fund?

I think it should be first, middle, last names EVERY TIME. "Who is Christian Doppler, Alex?" "I'm sorry, we were looking for Christian ANDREAS Doppler. Jim, your selection."
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Austin Powers wrote:I think it should be first, middle, last names EVERY TIME. "Who is Christian Doppler, Alex?" "I'm sorry, we were looking for Christian ANDREAS Doppler. Jim, your selection."
At the risk of spoiling an as-yet-unaired episode, I'll say this: There was a clue in a game when I was in the audience recently that asked for somebody's full name. The first contestant answered with the 'given' name as most people know that person and the last name. When BMSed, the contestant repeated the same name putting much more emphasis on the given name. The response was ruled incorrect before the second contestant rang in and gave a first, middle and last name and was ruled correct.

Now, that is my kind of clue.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

Doug527
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Doug527 »

bpmod wrote: At the risk of spoiling an as-yet-unaired episode, I'll say this: There was a clue in a game when I was in the audience recently that asked for somebody's full name. The first contestant answered with the 'given' name as most people know that person and the last name. When BMSed, the contestant repeated the same name putting much more emphasis on the given name. The response was ruled incorrect before the second contestant rang in and gave a first, middle and last name and was ruled correct.

Now, that is my kind of clue.

Brian
At the risk of giving too much away, is there substantial ambiguity with "John Smith" that required the contestant to give "John Peter Smith"? That is, is there also a "John Mark Smith" in the same field, or did the clue demand extreme precision for no other reason? (e.g. requiring "Chester Alan Arthur" just because they felt like it?)
Lifelong enthusiast. Season 28 contestant.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Doug527 wrote:At the risk of giving too much away, is there substantial ambiguity with "John Smith" that required the contestant to give "John Peter Smith"? That is, is there also a "John Mark Smith" in the same field, or did the clue demand extreme precision for no other reason? (e.g. requiring "Chester Alan Arthur" just because they felt like it?)
It was, as far as I can remember, due to the person commonly known by his (her?) middle name. I believe that it was somebody I had never heard of, but I could be wrong. The ten games I watched from the audience became a bit of a blur.

Brian

Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

bpmod wrote:
Doug527 wrote:At the risk of giving too much away, is there substantial ambiguity with "John Smith" that required the contestant to give "John Peter Smith"? That is, is there also a "John Mark Smith" in the same field, or did the clue demand extreme precision for no other reason? (e.g. requiring "Chester Alan Arthur" just because they felt like it?)
It was, as far as I can remember, due to the person commonly known by his (her?) middle name. I believe that it was somebody I had never heard of, but I could be wrong. The ten games I watched from the audience became a bit of a blur.

Brian
Was it J. Robert Oppenheimer?
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

Or maybe J. Fred Muggs?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

I could see something like with with say, J.S. Bach and J.C. Bach.
GregK
Contributor

Post by GregK »

bpmod wrote:

Brian
I was there and the quesion specifically asked for the "full" name. In the law (I am a lawyer like half of Washington) if a term is used in one place and not in another, the presumption is that its inclusion in one place and not the other means that the two provisions should be interpreted differenly. So if they ask for a full name in one question, and not in the others, by analogy the presumption should be that a full name is not required unless they ask for it.

BTW - on that question in my mind I had reversed the first and middle names because the person is known by his middle name but the first name was also used less frequently so I was able to associate it with the person. However, this was a case that there was no ambiguity as to whom one would be referring in answer to the question. So by asking for the "full" name they were really asking you to remember or know the FULL name, no simply to provide enough information to identify the specific indivual in question.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Can you give us a hint as to when this game will air? Was it one of the Power Player or Teen games recently filmed in DC?
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Bamaman wrote:Can you give us a hint as to when this game will air? Was it one of the Power Player or Teen games recently filmed in DC?
I was at the same game; it's one of the Power Players matches. The clue specifically asked for the full name of the person. The person in question is known by both two and three names, depending upon the source (as oppossed to, say, Frank Lloyd Wright or John Wilkes Booth, who are known pretty much by all three names), so I can understand the ambiguity of the player. I'd heard both versions, so I figured the question wanted all three names. After his double-clutch fumble, it was picked up on the rebound by another contestant.

I want to say it was Chris Matthews who did this, as bpmod said, they tend to blur after awhile!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

IIRC, it was Chris Matthews who fumbled it. He was given something like three chances to get it, however. I think he just wasn't able to pull the first name out.
GregK
Contributor

Post by GregK »

Power players will air week of May 14, after the Teen Tournement finishes. So a big 3 week break from regular play. Clue Crew Jimmy, who warms up the crowd, said that they hadn't decided which order to broadcast the episodes. As it is not a tournement, it doesnt matter in which order they air. I noted that Alex did not make any reference to prior Power player games in the second one I saw taped, unlike when he usually comments briefly at the start on what happened on the prior episode.
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

GregK wrote:Power players will air week of May 14, after the Teen Tournement finishes. So a big 3 week break from regular play.
Translation: It's Sweeps Month.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Which is ironic because most regular viewers tune out the teen tournament. I'll watch some of Power Players but a half hour of chris Matthews & some other idiots will be deleted right away.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I watch every episode no matter who is playing. I used to boycott the celebrity and Kids Week games, but started to watch them after joining the boards at that other place.

But if I were a casual viewer, I wouldn't be more motivated to watch because Chris Matthews is playing. I watch Wheel occasionally and if they had a celeb week, it wouldn't make me want to watch more, especially if they had the same D list Jeopardy! draws from.

I know the celeb games are for charity. But I wish they'd dump them and have each TOC player pick a charity and then have the show donate to those charities based on their finish.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

econgator wrote:
I could see something like with with say, J.S. Bach and J.C. Bach.
"Who is Bach?"
"Be more specific"
"The one that's the correct response to this clue." (or "The one that [insert clue wording here]")
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012