Friday, April 20, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Re: Friday, April 20, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by jpahk »

george bush, for that matter. i'd include john adams, but if the answer is john quincy adams, then "john adams" is wrong, and if the answer is john adams, there's no middle name necessary. (and if the answer is john adams the composer, well, just "adams" should do it.)
Austin Powers
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Austin Powers »

jpahk wrote:george bush, for that matter. i'd include john adams, but if the answer is john quincy adams, then "john adams" is wrong, and if the answer is john adams, there's no middle name necessary. (and if the answer is john adams the composer, well, just "adams" should do it.)
Poor John Luther Adams gets no respect.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Then he shouldn't've gone into making violins. ;)
ChemTeacher
J! Teachers Tournament 2012-B

Post by ChemTeacher »

From the first round of the TOC this year, the category was "The Reconstruction Era." The $600 clue was "This man's impeachment trial brought Senate president pro tem Ben Wade within 1 vote of being U.S. president"

Charles Temple replied with "Johnson." It was accepted without any BMS from Alex. No one had any doubts about Andrew vs. Lyndon.

I guess I mention this example to say that it's really a judgment call, as opposed to a strict rule, whether last names are sufficient.

Of course in FJ, you don't have the luxury of receiving a BMS. So you better make sure your answer is unambiguous.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Johnblue wrote:Which is ironic because most regular viewers tune out the teen tournament.
I'd be interested in seeing some actual ratings/research data that backs up this statement.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

trainman wrote:
Johnblue wrote:Which is ironic because most regular viewers tune out the teen tournament.
I'd be interested in seeing some actual ratings/research data that backs up this statement.
This is the internet! We can say whatever we want! We don't need no stinkin' research!
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Well, I did read it on the Internet in re teen/kids tournaments.
TreehugginCowgirl
Best Self-Destruct Button

Post by TreehugginCowgirl »

Bamaman wrote:I missed the bit about UN member and went with the Vatican. I think that was a bit unfair, if they wanted to exclude it, they should have just said "Other than the Vatican...". I almost switched to Monaco, but didn't. Oh, well.
Kosovo's in the same boat as the Vatican. Uses the Euro unofficially but not an EU or UN member state.

I'm the weird one who ignored the microstates and went straight for Montenegro. I couldn't remember which microstates were in the EU, so I didn't bother.

There are great Sporcle quizzes on the EU members, Euro users and UN members. That site is great for learning this sort of information, and you never know when it will come in handy.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

jeff6286 wrote:This is the internet! We can say whatever we want! We don't need no stinkin' research!
I believe the Irate Gamer said that.