Friday, April 20, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, April 20, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6360, 2012-04-20

CONTESTANTS
Kerr Houston, a professor of art history from Baltimore, Maryland
Amy Drittler, a university public relations director from Tazewell, Tennessee
Dan Adkison, a copy editor from Brooklyn, New York (whose 2-day cash winnings total $31,800)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex:
Thank you, Johnny.
Thank you, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome aboard.
Because the material seems to be a little more difficult in our recent shows, we haven't managed to get to all of the clues in each game.
Let's hope that that can change today with our returning champion Dan, and Amy and Kerr challenging.
Good luck.

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
MARINE BIOLOGY (4/5)
BRAND NAMES (5/5)
MAN: RAY (4/5)
PRO TEAM ADDRESSES (5/5)
AXIS & ALLIES (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
ONOMATOPOETIC WORDS (5/5) (Alex: You can just say "words", if you prefer, for the category)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Kerr: 13 R, 0 W
Dan: 11 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Amy: 4 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,200

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Dan found the Daily Double on the 2nd clue. Dan had $200, Amy was scoreless, and Kerr had nothing in the bank. Dan wagered $1,000.

AXIS & ALLIES $400: An "axis" binding these 2 cities was proclaimed in 1936

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Kerr: $5,200
Dan: $2,600
Amy: $1,000

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex:
Two of our players on the program today have done some hitchhiking in foreign lands.
Kerr Houston from Maryland hitchhiked in how many different countries and where?

Kerr:
Well, in 14 countries over the years, primarily in Europe, but also in Syria and Asia.

Alex:
What's the difference between hitchhiking abroad and hitchhiking here in America?

Kerr:
My impression is that it's a lot safer abroad.
I haven't tried it much here, but I've had great luck abroad.

Alex:
Really?

Kerr:
Mm-hmm.

Alex:
Okay.
Well, you're still here to talk about it.
That's good.

Alex:
Amy Drittler is from Tazewell, Tennessee.
You're a great-niece of a historic figure?

Amy:
Yes, of Oliver Cromwell.

Alex:
Gosh.
A great-niece.
It should be great-great-great-great-great-great--

Amy:
Yes, about eight or nine times removed.
The family legend has it that some relatives fled england during the reign of terror to escape all the bad publicity, and m--from those descendants, comes me.

Alex:
Did you find out through doing genealogical research, or did somebody in the family tell you ab--

Amy:
No, I have a relative who actually wrote a book of--of--

Alex:
Ah.

Amy:
--area history and family history.
Yes.

Alex:
Okay.
Kind of fun, though, isn't it?

Alex:
Dan Adkison is our champion.
He's done some hitchhiking.
Where?

Dan:
When I was in the Peace Corps, I, one time, took a ride with some folks who were taking me up to an in-service conference, and they were so polite and they liked me so much--they had one tape of western American music, and it was "Islands in the Stream"--Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton--and they played that song nonstop for four hours, the only song, blasting out of the speakers.

Alex:
Do you remember all the lyrics?

Dan:
Of course.

Alex:
Okay.

Dan:
Both parts.

Alex:
I won't ask you.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
MARINE BIOLOGY $200: "The Night Of" this 10-armed creature wasn't a horror film but a Jacques Cousteau TV special

MAN: RAY $1000: Educator Raymond Moley was the leader of this smart-sounding group of advisors to FDR

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Dan: $7,800
Kerr: $7,200
Amy: $2,400
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, April 20, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
JAZZ PIANISTS (2/5)
THE MIDWEST (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
IT'S A COVER-UP (4/5)
THE ACLU (4/5)
BIBLICAL IDOL (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
THE "IX" FACTOR (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Kerr: 12 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W
Dan: 7 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Amy: 4 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 6
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $9,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Dan snagged the next Daily Double on the 13th clue. Dan had $11,400, Amy had $2,800, and Kerr was at $14,000. Dan wagered $8,000.

THE MIDWEST $2000: This river passes through Waterloo, Iowa as well as through the cities named for its falls & rapids

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Amy who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 25th clue. Dan had $20,200, Amy had $2,800, and Kerr was at $16,800. Amy wagered $1,200.

BIBLICAL IDOL $1600: Also known as the Lord of the Flies, this god of Ekron was consulted by Ahaziah, King of Israel
(Amy: Who is Baal?)
(Alex: No, but you're so close. Who is [*]?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THE ACLU $2000: In Kitzmiller v. Dover, the ACLU fought the required teaching of this 2-word alternative to natural selection
(Kerr: What is evolutionary theory?)

THE "IX" FACTOR $1600: A pharmaceutical solution, or a cure-all
(Amy: What is a fixative?)

IT'S A COVER-UP $2000: The name of this warming item is from the French for "white"
(Alex: You use it every day--it's called [*]. Blanc, [*].)

JAZZ PIANISTS $2000: He earned his "Fatha" nickname in the 1930s after giving fatherly advice about drinking to an announcer

JAZZ PIANISTS $1600: His score for the 1929 stage production "Hot Chocolates" included the hit tune "Ain't Misbehavin'"
(Dan: Who is Gershwin?)

JAZZ PIANISTS $400: On April 29, 1986, the United States Post Office released a stamp honoring this pianist & bandleader
(Kerr: Who is Count Bassie?)
(Alex: You had a choice between Count Bassie & [*], and that was [*].)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Dan: $20,600
Kerr: $16,400
Amy: $2,400

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WORLD CURRENCIES

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Three-quarters for first place. Shore's Conjecture.
Dan: Wager $12,201 to cover Kerr, but no more than $15,799 so as not to fall behind Amy's doubled score. If you're a fan of shoretegic wagering, you might risk $7,401.
Kerr: You ought to wager between $4,201 (venusian) and $8,000 (martian), thereby safely covering a $0 bet by Dan.
Amy: Too bad for you, Amy, your score is less than Dan's score minus Kerr's score. Unless they both commit an egregious wagering error, you've no hope of moving into first place. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
One of the 4 small U.N. member nations that use the euro as their official currency even though not in the European Union

FINAL SCORES
Amy: $2,400 - $600 = $1,800 (What is the Vatican) (3rd place: $1,000)
Kerr: $16,400 - $11,500 = $4,900 (What is Lichtenstein?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Dan: $20,600 - $15,000 = $5,600 (What is Malta?) (3-day champion: $37,400)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $10,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Kerr: $16,400, 25 R, 2 W
Dan: $14,000, 18 R (including 2 DDs), 2 W
Amy: $3,600, 8 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $34,000

BATTING AVERAGES
Kerr: 25/58 = .431
Dan: 18/60 = .300
Amy: 8/59 = .136
Team: 51/63 = .810

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
MARINE BIOLOGY $600: (Jimmy from the clue crew shows drawings of whale skulls on the screen)

Long ago, whale blowholes were here, but evolution streamlined cetacean breathing, moving the nostril up top, where it's still connected to this respiratory tube, & then to the lungs

THE ACLU $1200: The ACLU helped win a 1933 ruling overturning a ban on the sale of this James Joyce classic in the United States
(Alex: That's the classic.)

BIBLICAL IDOL $400: This wise king unwisely made God angry when he erected an altar for the Moabite god Chemosh
(Alex: [*], the wise king.)

THE "IX" FACTOR $2000: This stop-motion animation technique is named for a type of imaginary being
(Dan: What is pixie?)

JAZZ PIANISTS $1200: Erroll Garner wrote the music for this ballad that begins, "Look at me, I'm as helpless as a kitten up a tree"
(Alex: Yes, play it for me.)

BIBLICAL IDOL $2000: The prophet Elijah worked hard to stamp out the cult of this Canaanite god the Israelites had worshipped in the wilderness
(Alex: [*], yes, now is the time for that one.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Berlin and Rome
the squid
the Brain Trust
the Cedar
Beelzebub
intelligent design
an elixir
a blanket
Earl "Fatha" Hines
Fats Waller
Duke Ellington
(1 of) Andorra, Montenegro, Monaco, or San Marino
the trachea
Ulysses
Solomon
pixilation
"Misty"
Baal
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, April 20, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by jeff6286 »

World Currencies
1 of the 4 small U.N. member nations that use the Euro as their official currency even though not in the European Union.
Spoiler
What is (one of) Andorra, Montenegro, Monaco, or San Marino? Amy said the Vatican; (It was hard to read, but it was incorrect anyway.) Kerr said Liechtenstein; Dan said Malta.
Dan Adkison: $20,600-$15,000=$5,600...now a 3-day champion with $37,400
Kerr Houston: $16,400-$11,500=$4,900
Amy Drittler: $2,400-$600=$1,800
Last edited by jeff6286 on Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
heisman65
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by heisman65 »

Kerr, Kerr, Kerr. You were such a beast on the buzzer, and probably the smartest guy in the green room, and the one I picked to go far, but once again a smart contestant is undone by a terrible FJ! wager. What a great game, though, probably the best of the week. A true clash of the titans, with Kerr seemingly in the driver's seat a few different times, only to have Dan come back strong. Again, loved Dan's second ballsy DD bet of the week, and once again he got lucky with a bad FJ bet. Did he make a good FJ bet in any of his wins? Well, maybe in his lock game, when it didn't matter.

Full props to Kerr, though, as he had some solid gets, like Potsdam and sixpence, although Dan was no slouch either, with his solid knowledge of rivers paying off for the second day in a row. Kerr was good to keep it so close, too, without the help of any DDs. Especially, too, with a very difficult Round 2. The first round was much, much easier.

Those Jazz Pianists were tough, save maybe Dave Brubeck, but like rock star bios, I would have killed to have it featured in my game. Loved the sports addresses, too. That would've been nice in my game, too.

And it seems appropriate that in a week full of controversial and reviled FJs, it ends with yet another humdinger. Let the teeth-gnashing begin!

So I guess we all know who I'm up against … I obviously won't say much, but I expect at the very least to get much love for my FJ wager. Bring it on!
Last edited by heisman65 on Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

Well, at least you know what you're in for if it's imperfect, heisman...

I thought Kerr was going to sail, but when he had the mojo on, he kept picking the low-hanging fruit, top, top, top. He strings what, five, six, seven in a row and then misses the ONE before the DD, on which--and all credit for the courage--his opponent gets 8k. Hmm.

And yeah, another poor second place wager. The champ has a peculiar habit of nodding his head when he wins; I'm sure he doesn't mean it that way, but it comes off on this couch as 'yeah, yeah, I knew it, had it all along.' He's been quite fortunate the last two days, but that's not unusual for a three dayer. As has been noted previous days, he does have some good gets, but he also leaves some pretty easy trash, so depth (breadth, maybe?) of knowledge still a little suspect for long term stay.

I had FJ twice over, but you have to wonder just what their definition of 'small country' is. That's just a bit vague.
heisman65
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by heisman65 »

I don't think that head-bopping is cockiness. He wasn't the least bit cocky, quite down to earth, actually. I have a funny story to tell about him after Monday's game that will do well to illustrate that.

And I agree about Kerr's jumping around. It didn't seem to have any rhyme or reason, not a true Forrest Bounce. Especially in the first round, after the DD had already been uncovered.
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

Weird. If you just pick one of the European micro-states at random (Andorra, Monaco, Luxembourg, Malta, Liechtenstein, San Marino, Vatican City) you already have a 3/7 chance of getting the clue correct. And most contestants should know that Luxembourg was a charter EU member, so it's really 50-50 at the very least. And yet FJ ends up being a triple stumper, with the contestants going through all three plausible wrong answers. How unlikely is that?
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

Why was Vatican City wrong? I checked, and it uses the Euro. I don't have the wording anymore, but how was it otherwise excluded?
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

lisa0012 wrote:Why was Vatican City wrong? I checked, and it uses the Euro. I don't have the wording anymore, but how was it otherwise excluded?
The clue specified UN Member, which is kind of a lame way of J! to cut down on the number of answers. Thankfully it didn't matter for two reasons - one, she didn't write it legibly, and two, she still would have been in third place had they credited her, if I'm remembering correctly.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

J! somehow started early, so I tuned in at 7 on the dot to find them already on Teams for $800. Weird.

I'm sure you can guess which animal I precalled in Marine Biology, which I ended up running. Surprised no one even guessed on squid — I thought it was pretty well known that octopi have arms instead of tentacles.

Also surprised that $1000 in Marine was only 2 letters more than the name of one of the categories.

Ran Midwest and Cover-Up, much to my surprise. "French for white" -> blanc -> blanket didn't come to me right away, but I thought it was relatively obvious. Opposed to say, cuisine -> cocina -> kitchen being at $200.

ACLU on the other hand was total stand and stare. $400 and $800 in particular seemed opaque.

Beyond blanket and squid, I also got Lach Trash on Fats Waller. A local country DJ used to always sign off with the Hank Jr. version (#1 Hot Country Singles, 1986), so I knew it was a Fats Waller cover.

Not sure where to start on FJ! Wasn't sure if "small" was a red herring, so I wrote nothing. None of the 4 right answers came to mind anyway — I wasn't aware Montenegro was even a country, for crying out loud.
goforthetie wrote:and two, she still would have been in third place had they credited her, if I'm remembering correctly.
It looked like "Vatica" to me, which obviously would not be taken.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

Did Alex say the onomatopoeia category didn't have to be in the form of a question?

What was the point of Kerr hopping around the top of the board? So aggravating, it wasn't even to DD hunt. It did seem to build up his momentum I will grant and Bilas did seem stronger at the bottom of the board.

I thought this board was the right level of difficulty. My only quibble with a question was expecting the contestants to recognize Ellington based on a stamp. I surmised it was him based on the value of the question. But I wasn't surprised to see a nice bak and forth, it was fun to watch.

I didn't think Final was very hard, you've got huge odds if you just name a European microstate. With that said it was nuts to see them all miss it. I said Andorra which I knew for sure, suspected San Marino, Monaco and the Vatican. IIRC Liechtenstein is the Swiss Franc. Luxembourg and Malta in the EU I think.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Instaget, with Andorra. Glad they didn't ask for more than one. The wagering...yikes.
TenPoundHammer wrote: "French for white" -> blanc -> blanket didn't come to me right away, but I thought it was relatively obvious.
That was amusing. I made the blanc -> blanket connection quickly enough (though it was more like "hmm blanc -> blan...ket -- oh wow, that's where that word comes from? Neat."), but it almost seemed too easy for (I think) a 2k clue. Maybe that's why no one took the chance? I bet they were kicking themselves afterward.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

Ah so that explains the Vatican. I was scratching my head about that.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I thought this board was good. It was hard but fairly well-written. The "Cedar" Daily Double was overvalued at $2000, though.

I guessed Monaco for FJ and was relieved to see that it was correct. I almost switched to Liechtenstein, which would have been wrong. And I agree, it was disappointing to see this FJ clue turn out to be a triple stumper, for no reason other than it was guessable even if you didn't know it for sure.
billy pilgrim

Post by billy pilgrim »

goforthetie wrote:
lisa0012 wrote:Why was Vatican City wrong? I checked, and it uses the Euro. I don't have the wording anymore, but how was it otherwise excluded?
The clue specified UN Member, which is kind of a lame way of J! to cut down on the number of answers. Thankfully it didn't matter for two reasons - one, she didn't write it legibly, and two, she still would have been in third place had they credited her, if I'm remembering correctly.
Actually the clue specified a non-member of the Europen Union. Vatican City was correct, she just didn't write it.
She caught the Katy and left me a mule to ride.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I missed the bit about UN member and went with the Vatican. I think that was a bit unfair, if they wanted to exclude it, they should have just said "Other than the Vatican...". I almost switched to Monaco, but didn't. Oh, well.

TPH-The $400 ACLU clue said it was formed in 1920 out of some other group concerned about conscientious objectors to this. It was right after WWI, so what else could it be? The $800 clue referenced 1942 and objection to internment camps for these people. Were you unaware of how we locked up people for being Japanese during WWII?
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

billy pilgrim wrote: Actually the clue specified a non-member of the Europen Union. Vatican City was correct, she just didn't write it.
No, the clue also specified U.N. member nation, which Vatican City is not. If you are a Sporcler, you know that there are 3 "Sporcle countries" that are not U.N. members: Vatican city is one, the other two are:
Spoiler
Kosovo and Taiwan
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Not sure where to start on FJ! Wasn't sure if "small" was a red herring, so I wrote nothing. None of the 4 right answers came to mind anyway — I wasn't aware Montenegro was even a country, for crying out loud.
Yes, I too assumed that "small" was a red herring. I figured the answer was Russia.

Did anyone else notice the way Alex pronounced "Pianists"? He did it with a short a sound, sounding more like piano than the way the word is normally pronounced. Perhaps he can't say it the usual way without snickering? :mrgreen:
Last edited by jeff6286 on Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Bamaman wrote:TPH-The $400 ACLU clue said it was formed in 1920 out of some other group concerned about conscientious objectors to this. It was right after WWI, so what else could it be?
That was a few years before prohibition ended, so I figured it might be that.
Bamaman wrote:The $800 clue referenced 1942 and objection to internment camps for these people. Were you unaware of how we locked up people for being Japanese during WWII?
"Internment camp" was in that clue?
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

billy pilgrim wrote:
goforthetie wrote:
Actually the clue specified a non-member of the Europen Union. Vatican City was correct, she just didn't write it.
No, after the last contestant Alex listed the four correct answers, and VC wasn't in there, so her neg wasn't the issue.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Bamaman wrote:TPH-The $400 ACLU clue said it was formed in 1920 out of some other group concerned about conscientious objectors to this. It was right after WWI, so what else could it be?
That was a few years before prohibition ended, so I figured it might be that.
Bamaman wrote:The $800 clue referenced 1942 and objection to internment camps for these people. Were you unaware of how we locked up people for being Japanese during WWII?
"Internment camp" was in that clue?
The clue said "In 1942 the ACLU denounced the internment of more than 100,00 Americans of this ancestry.