Monday, April 23, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

TenPoundHammer

Re: Monday, April 23, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I lach trashed Elvis.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Sorry you lost, Mike. I'm just glad it wasn't as a result of your miss on what seemed to be a gettable DD. (moon landing) But HEY!! You were THERE! That makes you a real life J! contestant, and me very jealous.
Instaget FJ- nice start to the week.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

As I expected, it doesn't look like many would've gotten FJ without the "December 1776" part. I was prepared to guess Massachusetts until I read that, then instantly went to New Jersey.
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Paucle wrote:Sorry you lost, Mike. I'm just glad it wasn't as a result of your miss on what seemed to be a gettable DD. (moon landing) But HEY!! You were THERE! That makes you a real life J! contestant, and me very jealous.
Instaget FJ- nice start to the week.
Despite all our recent discussions of the moon landing, related to a past FJ clue that was mentioned in reference to the Super Bowl III clue, I still drew a total blank on that DD. The only person that came to mind as a "ghostly white figure" was Michael Jackson, and I thought he died in July of 2009 (oops, turns out it was June 25, so I was off anyway), so I was thinking maybe the Time quote about descending a ladder was some kind of weird metaphor about him going to heaven, or more likely the other direction. I suspect that may have gotten a bit of a laugh in the studio if I had answered it aloud, or at least it would have if the audience knew what my reasoning was.
econgator wrote:North Carolina? Really?

I've never heard it call the "Cockpit of the Revolution", but was fairly sure when the Battle of Trenton was.
I'm guessing the N.C. guess was somehow related to the Wright Brothers, which I guess could make sense if the nickname was coined much, much later, after their famous flight. I guess it's not a terrible guess if you had absolutely no clue, as that would at least be a logical reason for the nickname. Then again, as far as I know, the War never even got as far south as North Carolina, or at least not for any major battles, so in that respect I suppose it is a pretty bad guess.

I myself said Pennsylvania. I think I was thinking of Valley Forge, which I knew involved a long winter, but I feel that I should have known that the crossing of the Delaware was related to Christmas. I definitely didn't know that the Battle of Trenton was tied to the Delaware, but if I had gotten Valley Forge out of my head and focused on the Delaware, I would at least give myself a decent chance of guessing New Jersey. I don't think the state quarter ever entered my mind, but it certainly should have. Maybe I should do a quick study of those if I ever get the call, as it isn't the first time that I've missed a clue that would have been a total giveaway if I had just pictured the quarter of the state in question. It has been over 7 years since I stopped working retail, so those quarters aren't nearly as fresh in my mind as they used to be.
Last edited by jeff6286 on Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:36 pm, edited 4 times in total.
iowabelle
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by iowabelle »

I have never heard the phrase "cockpit of the revolution, despite being a history major and grad student.

Of course, I did grow up mostly in the South and as a result I was taught that no wars mattered except the Civil War. :lol:
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I guessed 1976 on the DD. The clue didn't suggest anything to me, so I went with 1976, hoping July meant it was related to the bicentennial.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Elvis was one I collected as well. That seems like the kind of clue that many would have yelled out at viewing parties, but on the stage some clues can play tougher.

Solving 1969 was only because of ladder. Biblical Jacob/angels was out and for whatever reason I pictured the correct incident.

Nice solve by Cindy on Falling Waters. My stab with Taliesins didn't work out as well.

The FJ clue had me doing a try try again. Massachu was on the paper first in thinking of early battles in the war, but before I could finish I realized December 1776 was a better hint. Cold = Valley Forge. Penn was on the paper, but before I could finish that one I knew I didn't like the year. Crossing the Delaware for the Battle of Trenton sounded perfect and on the third try I wrote the full name of a state.

That was nice of Cindy to solve the FJ clue to give Mike a small bit of comfort over his DD miss.

It took four nights, but the Dan detractors finally saw some justice. He ended up with a pattern entering FJ of L+2+1+3 for one of each to match his inconsistency. Dan may not have been quite TOC bronze level, but he was a solid 4th level of J! champ.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

MarkBarrett wrote: It took four nights, but the Dan detractors finally saw some justice. He ended up with a pattern entering FJ of L+2+1+3 for one of each to match his inconsistency. Dan may not have been quite TOC bronze level, but he was a solid 4th level of J! champ.
I noticed something related to Dan's run before tonight's game, that the players on the show were only 3 for 15 on FJ clues last week, while the average get rate from JBoarders in the weekly poll is currently at around 47%. That leads me to believe that the overall quality of last week's contestants was (at least) a bit below average, so it's possible that Dan would have looked much less impressive had his games been played in a different week.
MDCSWildcats86

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

SkoolRN wrote:Spoiler alert: Nice to see the state of my birth being recognized for something other than Snookie, the Real Housewives or Tony Soprano.

or the soon-to-be-former Nets, or Aaron Burr.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I said Delaware. Partly inspired by the river crossing, and by the fact that a cockpit is small relative to a plane.

Yes, Cindy would have won from the lead wherever Mike stood, but he broke the lock late in the game with a $1,600 clue, making it Mike $8,200/Cindy $16,000; a $400 clue selection immediately afterward would have guaranteed that Cindy wouldn't regain a total lock for at least one clue longer. If that category had gone $2,000-$1,600-$400-$800-time, and Cindy had gotten the $400 instead of the last $1,200, she might have entered FJ with $16,400 to Mike's $8,200, which would have boded a lot better for Mike than the $17,200-$8,200 we saw.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Does anyone know when "cockpit" was first used? These days we refer to it as a flight deck.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

seaborgium wrote:I said Delaware. Partly inspired by the river crossing, and by the fact that a cockpit is small relative to a plane.
I think it refers to cockfighting. Not many airplanes around in 1776.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Johnblue wrote:Does anyone know when "cockpit" was first used? These days we refer to it as a flight deck.
http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=cockpit
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Thanks, Vanya! 400+ year-old word!
kristinsausville
2015 TOC'er

Post by kristinsausville »

Fun fact: Delaware only had one Revolutionary War battle: http://www.delawarefirst.org/16980-cooc ... ar-battle/ ;)

December got me to the Washington-crossing-the-Delaware which got me to New Jersey pretty quickly.
Follow me on Twitter: @ksausville
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

alietr wrote:I'll add my sympathy as well, Mike. It's never really as much fun when it comes to an end like that, but I hope you did have fun. Good to see you up there.

Me? I whiffed. Never heard of that phrase, so I went uh ... December ... it's cold ... Valley Forge ... let's go with Pennsylvania. Rats.
Same. I had the two reversed. "Hmm, December? Valley Forge!...Wait...could it be NJ?...no, no, let's stick with the first guess."

Admittedly VF wasn't a battle, but...why ELSE would you be in PA? :D
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
billy pilgrim

Post by billy pilgrim »

If you look at a map of the original 13, and then rotate it 90 degrees anti-clockwise it very much resembles a ship, with NJ just about amidships.
She caught the Katy and left me a mule to ride.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Turd Ferguson wrote:Retro good luck to heisman65

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmDAoEuaK3U
(You Know You're An Anthematologist When you recognize where they got the backing music for the singer from before he even sings a word - and you have the same music (sans vocals) in your own collection! (His butchering of both official languages was a bit off-putting, though.)

Sorry, but *had* to comment on that one. :mrgreen:
econgator wrote:North Carolina? Really?

I've never heard it call the "Cockpit of the Revolution", but was fairly sure when the Battle of Trenton was.
For me, FJ was a tossup between MA and NJ: NJ had going for it the December battle, which I figured was the one of Washington crossing the Delaware ("Battle of Trenton, right?" I thought to myself at the time). MA had going for it the numerous battles that I could think of, making it fit the clue more than Joisey IMHO, and my confidence that I thought I heard that phrase refer to MA at one point in time. Figuring there must have been more than one December, 1776 battle, one of which must have also been in MA, I backed the wrong horse. :(

Any guesses on the clues we didn't see? I got a pretty good idea at 2 of the 3: Five finger $200: "blah, blah, blah, blah, rule of this", and April 23 $400 would have as a correct response "Who is William Shakespeare?", being the most famous writer who died on that date (arguably the most famous writer ever), the clue may have included the fact that he may have also been born on that date - no one knows when he really was born, but he was baptized on April 26, and it wouldn't be unheard of to baptize at the age of 3 days.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

dhkendall wrote:[Any guesses on the clues we didn't see? I got a pretty good idea at 2 of the 3: Five finger $200: "blah, blah, blah, blah, rule of this", and April 23 $400 would have as a correct response "Who is William Shakespeare?", being the most famous writer who died on that date (arguably the most famous writer ever), the clue may have included the fact that he may have also been born on that date - no one knows when he really was born, but he was baptized on April 26, and it wouldn't be unheard of to baptize at the age of 3 days.
I don't know about the clues we didn't see, but question 9 for you was played on Millionaire today: http://wwtbambored.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=39556
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote:
dhkendall wrote:[Any guesses on the clues we didn't see? I got a pretty good idea at 2 of the 3: Five finger $200: "blah, blah, blah, blah, rule of this", and April 23 $400 would have as a correct response "Who is William Shakespeare?", being the most famous writer who died on that date (arguably the most famous writer ever), the clue may have included the fact that he may have also been born on that date - no one knows when he really was born, but he was baptized on April 26, and it wouldn't be unheard of to baptize at the age of 3 days.
I don't know about the clues we didn't see, but question 9 for you was played on Millionaire today: http://wwtbambored.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=39556
Re: Question 9

Wait, what?...
Spoiler
It's not canton?
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)