Wednesday, April 25, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Rahsputin
Contributor

Re: Wednesday, April 25, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Rahsputin »

I've got to say, I sure wouldn't like to have gone up against Cindy. Not only does she know a heck of a lot more than I do, but I would not have been able to stop myself from thinking of Kristin Wiig's Kathy Lee Gifford imitation
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cgA9MwM7Rc
Johnblue
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Johnblue »

Funny, wild stuff but I see zero resemblence to Cindy.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

one-nil wrote:
Woof wrote:
one-nil wrote:What?! No love for The Arsenal? Just because they finish third in the table every year doesn't mean you can't support them! Come on, you Goonersz!

P.S. Best wishes to Bayern Munchen in the UCL Final.

P.P.S. Miss ya!
Wenger's coaching deficiencies have been exposed this year (IMO) in that he isn't skilled at halftime changes. Gunners certainly haven't looked as good this year, RvP notwithstanding. Bayern looked awfully good in dismissing Real, but Chelski also looked very sharp against Barça, especially after going down a man. Right now, though, I'm focused on the upcoming Derby, so all else pales in comparison.
zOMG! After 6+ yrs. on these various boards, a kindred spirit appears! Futbol! Horseys! What's next...the Pavement band?! Anyway, best wishes, Woof, in the Derby. I shall start handicapping it only the night before...blasted computers!
I'll cop to owning a Pavement album or two, but that's as far as you'll get me to commit. I need all the best wishes I can get since, as a long-term City supporter, I have to hope for a victory against Fergie's boys, never a sound bet. Gunners have looked better in recent weeks, though, so here's to next year in the Champion's League and making it out of group play.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Cindy, you were the best player on the show in a while. Enjoy your loot!!
one-nil
Contributor

Post by one-nil »

Woof wrote: I'll cop to owning a Pavement album or two, but that's as far as you'll get me to commit. I need all the best wishes I can get since, as a long-term City supporter, I have to hope for a victory against Fergie's boys, never a sound bet. Gunners have looked better in recent weeks, though, so here's to next year in the Champion's League and making it out of group play.
"Blue moon..."

As much as I would hate to see Messrs. Nasri, Clichy & K. Toure win the title after departing the Emirates, I can't help but root for the Citizens, especially considering how shambolic United was in the late stages v. Everton. Plus, can't stand Nani or Park Ji-Sung. It would be good to see another team join Man U, Arse, Chelc & Blackburn (!) as EPL champeens. Will be glued to the telly on Monday, surely!
Proud Member of the Group of 360 (G360) Since 2007!
heisman65
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by heisman65 »

cvanderb wrote:hello,

new here and don't know if i am doing this right. Just wanted to say thanks to those who have defended me and sorry to those whom I annoyed. In my defense, I played on 3 hours sleep, three weeks after a having a cancerous thyroid removed. Being hypothyroid messes with you; not an excuse, but I don't think I am normally quite that twitchy and babbly. Yes, I guessed a lot. And yes, i have confidence issues. I did not have digestive issues. :-) But i sincerely was sorry to see my new friends have to leave when they lost. We were really starting to have fun! I know that's sickeningly sweet sounding, but sorry, it's true. It is a shame anyone has to lose. And FWIW, i was happy for Jake when he won. I sat with his mom in the audience and we had a nice chat.

My main goal for going on was to make the $150 profit over my expenses getting to CA,and not to wet my pants out of sheer fear! So i am very happy with what i ended up taking home. It was my late husband's wish that i try out.

And I spent 20 years in Sunday school, so why the heck I didn't get centurion, i will never know. That stupid Madrid guess was just me caving in to the silence of no one buzzing. Yep, it was dumb. But I can't change it now.

Anyhow, enough whining. Just wanted to throw in on this one.

Cindy

p.s. hi Mike! I saw what you said in the paper. You are so nice! Wish we could do it all over again.
Hi, Cindy! Me, too! One of my most treasured moments of my brief time on Jeopardy! was when you turned to me and apologized for winning. Although it was a little strange, it was also completely genuine, and I honestly knew how you felt. You didn't want to be the one to send anyone home, and I understood completely.

Reading all the negative comments about you, it was all I could do to not post something in your defence. Stefan, was right — there is no way to read what's in people's minds, or why they act the way they do. And now that the rest of your story has been told, it should put all the haters to shame. Truly, they owe you an apology.

You were a great champ, with superior knowledge and buzzer skills, and that's all that needs to be said about your time on Jeopardy! I am proud to have played between two great champs like you and Dan.

And I am so glad you chimed up on these boards. I was sad that only Judy and I had made an appearance in these parts from the two groups that participated that week before Christmas. There is always so much more to say than what gets seen on TV. Good for you, and best of luck in the future!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Cindy, that's a lovely story. You had fun, you made a pile of money, what's not to like, right?
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

If it's any consolation, at least you weren't made fun of on The Soup which is what happened with Dan's snake story.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

heisman65 wrote:

new here and don't know if i am doing this right. Just wanted to say thanks to those who have defended me and sorry to those whom I annoyed. In my defense, I played on 3 hours sleep, three weeks after a having a cancerous thyroid removed. Being hypothyroid messes with you; not an excuse, but I don't think I am normally quite that twitchy and babbly. Yes, I guessed a lot. And yes, i have confidence issues. I did not have digestive issues. :-) But i sincerely was sorry to see my new friends have to leave when they lost. We were really starting to have fun! I know that's sickeningly sweet sounding, but sorry, it's true. It is a shame anyone has to lose. And FWIW, i was happy for Jake when he won. I sat with his mom in the audience and we had a nice chat.

My main goal for going on was to make the $150 profit over my expenses getting to CA,and not to wet my pants out of sheer fear! So i am very happy with what i ended up taking home. It was my late husband's wish that i try out.

And I spent 20 years in Sunday school, so why the heck I didn't get centurion, i will never know. That stupid Madrid guess was just me caving in to the silence of no one buzzing. Yep, it was dumb. But I can't change it now.

Cindy

p.s. hi Mike! I saw what you said in the paper. You are so nice! Wish we could do it all over again.
Hi, Cindy! Me, too! One of my most treasured moments of my brief time on Jeopardy! was when you turned to me and apologized for winning. Although it was a little strange, it was also completely genuine, and I honestly knew how you felt. You didn't want to be the one to send anyone home, and I understood completely.

Reading all the negative comments about you, it was all I could do to not post something in your defence. Stefan, was right — there is no way to read what's in people's minds, or why they act the way they do. And now that the rest of your story has been told, it should put all the haters to shame. Truly, they owe you an apology.

You were a great champ, with superior knowledge and buzzer skills, and that's all that needs to be said about your time on Jeopardy! I am proud to have played between two great champs like you and Dan.

And I am so glad you chimed up on these boards. I was sad that only Judy and I had made an appearance in these parts from the two groups that participated that week before Christmas. There is always so much more to say than what gets seen on TV. Good for you, and best of luck in the future!
Also, people look weird on TV. I was once interviewed by the local news because of a fire that happened on my street. My friends were like, "you look like a total spaz, were you on drugs???" None beside caffeine...
jkbrat
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jkbrat »

Cindy - Congratulations on your wins and welcome to the Board! Hope you stick around and continue to share your insights on the game.
cvanderb wrote: But i sincerely was sorry to see my new friends have to leave when they lost. We were really starting to have fun! I know that's sickeningly sweet sounding, but sorry, it's true.
I've heard that from the majority of contestants who've been on the show, so I have no doubt that it is true. Meeting great people and having an amazing time seems to be the rule, not the exception - and I'm glad that this was your experience as well.

Enjoy your hard-won status as a Jeopardy! champion - that is a distinction that many strive for but few can achieve, and you should be very proud to have joined that club.

:)
There are times I almost think I am not sure of what I absolutely knooooooooo-OW

Learn, Review, Repeat

A Archipelago
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

heisman65 wrote:

Cindy

I don't think any of us were being "haters," but I'd like to apologize for my negative comments. They were uncalled for.
heisman65 wrote:You were a great champ, with superior knowledge and buzzer skills, and that's all that needs to be said about your time on Jeopardy!
Absolutely. Congratulations!
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

cvanderb wrote:I don't think I am normally quite that twitchy and babbly.
Fwiw, Matt (4/24)was pretty twitchy too for a while. It made me wonder if something was in the air! :)
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

Cindy - speaking for myself, I was charmed by your demeanor, you came across as a genuinely nice person. Best wishes to you.
jkbrat
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jkbrat »

cvanderb wrote:Just wanted to say thanks to those who have defended me and sorry to those whom I annoyed.
Cindy ~ I'm sure you know this already, but ...when you read comments about yourself either here or elsewhere on the internet, try to keep in mind that without cues like facial expression, tone of voice, etc. it's very difficult to know the spirit in which a comment was intended. Given that, I just wanted to suggest that you are free to interpret comments however you want. If it was me, I would choose to imagine how the exact same words could have sounded if delivered in a different fashion, say from a little brother or even from one of your fellow contestants in the Green Room. If you imagine him saying to you with a twinkle in his eye, a smile on his face, and accompanied by a good-natured chuckle and jovial pat on the back, "Wow, great game, Cindy! You were really rocking that buzzer, but I have to say you looked a little bit like you might be having some issues up there.. ha, ha, ha" then it's clearly meant to be just a funny, teasing kind of comment and not meant to be hurtful at all.

Now you never know whether that's a correct interpretation or not, but I choose to give people the benefit of the doubt whenever possible. I'm not defending the comment; just trying to put it in perspective. It may have been thoughtless and/or in poor taste, but I choose to believe that it was not intended to be hateful.

(And I hope the fact that you included a smiley in your post means that you have already put the comment in perspective.)

~ Julie

P.S. And I'm the expert on putting up with comments, as I get them from my little brother on a regular basis!
For example, on my last birthday he posted on my facebook page:

Happy Birthday, Sis!! Seems like just yesterday the wheel was invented .... where does the time go?

:lol:
There are times I almost think I am not sure of what I absolutely knooooooooo-OW

Learn, Review, Repeat

A Archipelago
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

jkbrat wrote:
cvanderb wrote:Just wanted to say thanks to those who have defended me and sorry to those whom I annoyed.
Cindy ~ I'm sure you know this already, but ...when you read comments about yourself either here or elsewhere on the internet, try to keep in mind that without cues like facial expression, tone of voice, etc. it's very difficult to know the spirit in which a comment was intended. Given that, I just wanted to suggest that you are free to interpret comments however you want. If it was me, I would choose to imagine how the exact same words could have sounded if delivered in a different fashion, say from a little brother or even from one of your fellow contestants in the Green Room. If you imagine him saying to you with a twinkle in his eye, a smile on his face, and accompanied by a good-natured chuckle and jovial pat on the back, "Wow, great game, Cindy! You were really rocking that buzzer, but I have to say you looked a little bit like you might be having some issues up there.. ha, ha, ha" then it's clearly meant to be just a funny, teasing kind of comment and not meant to be hurtful at all.
Agree completely - assume the best! :) In general, people here love to joke.
heisman65
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by heisman65 »

Maybe "haters" was too strong a word. I just felt that some of the comments were over the line and a bit much. Obviously, Cindy took it all in stride, much to her credit.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

heisman65 wrote:Maybe "haters" was too strong a word. I just felt that some of the comments were over the line and a bit much. Obviously, Cindy took it all in stride, much to her credit.
Agreed.
andel
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by andel »

Recent contestant coming out of the woodwork here--this is Andrea of Tuesday, April 24 non-fame. I've lurked around the boards in the past, though I did promise myself that I wouldn't read the thread for my own game based on my self-obsessed fear that I'd be ripped apart. Curiosity got the best of me, and I dipped into the Tuesday thread only to find everyone discussing souffles and mindreading instead! Whew. I could pick my game apart there, but I'd much rather chime in here and say hello to Mike, my fellow leftover from the previous taping day--mighty impressed by your Double Jeopardy comeback after being in the red, by the way--and to Cindy, who beat me for her well-deserved second win.

I can second the sentiment that there's much more going on than you see on TV. It's funny to me, but a lot of people I know who've watched this week's shows seem surprised by my lack of ill will toward my competition. It was very sweet of my friends and family to say they thought the other players were the worst everrrrr, but I had to tell them that no, seriously, Cindy and Matt were both very nice and very genuine. More than one person thought that Cindy's expressiveness and self-deprecation were a sneaky put-on, but I didn't get that vibe at all. Yes, everyone plays to win, but I felt like there was such a positive undercurrent to the competition. After the game, when we were being lined up for our post-game fake chat with Alex, Cindy apologized for beating me, expressing disappointment that all of us couldn't just keep on playing, and I could honestly say I was very happy for her--hello, she just won 50 grand in 50 minutes, how great is that?

Do I wish I'd won? Of course! It was an amazing whirlwind experience, and I'd have loved the chance to squeeze a few more hours from it. But I'm thrilled that I came away from the Jeopardy! studio with a performance I was proud of and pleased that I got to share my day and a half with some very nice people. Oh, and for the rest of my life, I can say, "I was on Jeopardy!" and blow the minds of people who couldn't care less that I should have wagered more on my Daily Double. Awesome!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

And that's the best attitude to have, Andrea. You should have joined us for some of this weekend's activities associated with the National History Bee & Bowl. Lots of fun Jeopardy types around!
heisman65
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by heisman65 »

andel wrote:Recent contestant coming out of the woodwork here--this is Andrea of Tuesday, April 24 non-fame. I've lurked around the boards in the past, though I did promise myself that I wouldn't read the thread for my own game based on my self-obsessed fear that I'd be ripped apart. Curiosity got the best of me, and I dipped into the Tuesday thread only to find everyone discussing souffles and mindreading instead! Whew. I could pick my game apart there, but I'd much rather chime in here and say hello to Mike, my fellow leftover from the previous taping day--mighty impressed by your Double Jeopardy comeback after being in the red, by the way--and to Cindy, who beat me for her well-deserved second win.

I can second the sentiment that there's much more going on than you see on TV. It's funny to me, but a lot of people I know who've watched this week's shows seem surprised by my lack of ill will toward my competition. It was very sweet of my friends and family to say they thought the other players were the worst everrrrr, but I had to tell them that no, seriously, Cindy and Matt were both very nice and very genuine. More than one person thought that Cindy's expressiveness and self-deprecation were a sneaky put-on, but I didn't get that vibe at all. Yes, everyone plays to win, but I felt like there was such a positive undercurrent to the competition. After the game, when we were being lined up for our post-game fake chat with Alex, Cindy apologized for beating me, expressing disappointment that all of us couldn't just keep on playing, and I could honestly say I was very happy for her--hello, she just won 50 grand in 50 minutes, how great is that?

Do I wish I'd won? Of course! It was an amazing whirlwind experience, and I'd have loved the chance to squeeze a few more hours from it. But I'm thrilled that I came away from the Jeopardy! studio with a performance I was proud of and pleased that I got to share my day and a half with some very nice people. Oh, and for the rest of my life, I can say, "I was on Jeopardy!" and blow the minds of people who couldn't care less that I should have wagered more on my Daily Double. Awesome!
Hello, Andrea! So glad you stopped by, too, as I was starting to wonder where all my peeps were! Thanks for the praise, but really, you gave Cindy a much better run for her money than I did. 18 right and only 1 wrong ain't too shabby either. Good on you! We didn't win, but we both lost to a formidable, nice opponent, and there's no shame in that. Cheers!