Wednesday, April 25, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Re: Wednesday, April 25, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Woof »

econgator wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:and San Francisco was the snap trash in seals.
I knew it anyway, but at the game yesterday, I saw quite a few people wearing Seals jerseys.
What game was that, econ? Considering that the Seals played their last game a few years before I was born (and I ain't no spring chicken) that's mildly surprising to me.
jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

reddpen wrote:And we do not see you coming after 7x winner Joon Pahk, whose posts share one-nil's unity of case while lacking his obliqueness.
if he did come after me, i wouldn't see it either. the "ignore" functionality is there for a reason.
one-nil
Contributor

Post by one-nil »

nae problem vanna nae problem they have that zen religion you always are bragging about down here in studio city too

it takes a fair amount of plasticity of mind to get me posts, daresay i a j-type breadth of knowledge. perhaps you and TP (hey, the shfit key DOES work!) can form a study group to further develop this trait in yourselves...

vered, schliebert...i learned from the greats that lax punctuation etc. is a-ok here and elsewhere...as they say, talent borrows, genius steals. i steal only from the best. i write to compete with those guys, not you & TP (there goes that shift key AGAIN!)

i bet if bob verini were a poster, he'd be the same as us. i can't think of a better model of coolness and concentration than mr. robert verini.

tyvm & best wishes. (+1 for the ampersand...)
Proud Member of the Group of 360 (G360) Since 2007!
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

For the record… I don't care if you post in all lowercase. I was trying to make a whimsical observation of that fact, and it came across as bitching. Which was by no means my intent.
Woof

Post by Woof »

one-nil wrote: tyvm & best wishes. (+1 for the ampersand...)
To redirect the conversation a wee bit, yesterday's Derby, while predictably failing to live up to the pre-game hype, still had a salutary outcome. Your eponymous result failed to convey the extent to which the Red Devils failed, both to put a ball on goal and to even keep up physically with the Eastlanders. Youth and talent will out, given enough stoppage time. And Touré is right up there with Xavi in my book.
Johnblue
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Johnblue »

cvanderb wrote:oh, forgot to tell you two of the funniest things:

1) someone online said this - "high intelligence + Tourette's Syndrome = good tv". I thought that was hilarious!

and

2) I was asked to come to the local professional wrestling event Saturday night and introduced as a special guest.
Never say that Jeopardy doesn't open doors! :-)

Cindy, I saw that post. That entire board is noted for diagnosing J! contestants & even fictional tv characters & Survivor/TAR competitors with Tourette's, Asperger's & autism constantly. Lotta morons.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Johnblue wrote:
cvanderb wrote:oh, forgot to tell you two of the funniest things:

1) someone online said this - "high intelligence + Tourette's Syndrome = good tv". I thought that was hilarious!

and

2) I was asked to come to the local professional wrestling event Saturday night and introduced as a special guest.
Never say that Jeopardy doesn't open doors! :-)

Cindy, I saw that post. That entire board is noted for diagnosing J! contestants & even fictional tv characters & Survivor/TAR competitors with Tourette's, Asperger's & autism constantly. Lotta morons.
They must have a field day with House. (And go into conniptions over Monk.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Woof wrote:
econgator wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:and San Francisco was the snap trash in seals.
I knew it anyway, but at the game yesterday, I saw quite a few people wearing Seals jerseys.
What game was that, econ? Considering that the Seals played their last game a few years before I was born (and I ain't no spring chicken) that's mildly surprising to me.
The Padres-Giants game at AT&T Park.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

You should she them analyze Sheldon from The Big Bang Theory!
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

TenPoundHammer wrote:For the record… I don't care if you post in all lowercase. I was trying to make a whimsical observation of that fact, and it came across as bitching. Which was by no means my intent.
I don't care if they adopt a pretentious affectation either.
one-nil
Contributor

Post by one-nil »

[quote="Vanya][/quote]

532 posts...that's a lot of attention...couldn't sit still with it, huh buddha? not very zenlike!

take a deep breath...go ride your motorcycle...[friends, fill in the rest...]
Proud Member of the Group of 360 (G360) Since 2007!
Woof

Post by Woof »

econgator wrote:
Aha! I hadn't expected that a resident of "Florida's Space Coast" would be attending a game in SF. The Seals jerseys at least make some sense there and probably appear to the retro instincts of hipsters.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Woof wrote:
econgator wrote:
Aha! I hadn't expected that a resident of "Florida's Space Coast" would be attending a game in SF. The Seals jerseys at least make some sense there and probably appear to the retro instincts of hipsters.
4-day vacation there. What an awesome city to visit!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

econgator wrote:
Woof wrote:
econgator wrote:
4-day vacation there. What an awesome city to visit!
Or to live in. Glad you had a great trip and got to see the fantastic ballpark.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Vanya wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:For the record… I don't care if you post in all lowercase. I was trying to make a whimsical observation of that fact, and it came across as bitching. Which was by no means my intent.
I don't care if they adopt a pretentious affectation either.
I think it's the opposite of a pretentious affectation: given that it takes an extra effort to produce a capital letter, lowercase typing is a ditching of an artificial behavior; and I think lowercasing one's "I" is the essence of unpretentiousness.

Isn't "pretentious affectation" kind of redundant? I guess redundancy is necessary when one is desperate to convey disdain.
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

surprised nobody commented on tph's sly reference to bell hooks . . . obviously he meant to obliquely praise one-nil by alluding to the archy/k.d./bell pantheon.

As far as typography goes, I think folks should get off one-nil's case. Different strokes for different folks, that's what I say.

By the same token, though, I think it's outside of normal Board etiquette to use someone's religion as a weapon against them. That just has the potential to take us places we don't need to go.

Besides, Vanya is obviously just pulling our legs. He has never been shy about taking an admirable stand against prescriptivism in the past; what would make you think he's gone all prescriptive on us now? ;)

Rex
HugoZ
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by HugoZ »

Rex Kramer wrote:Besides, Vanya is obviously just pulling our legs. He has never been shy about taking an admirable stand against prescriptivism in the past; what would make you think he's gone all prescriptive on us now? ;)
Maybe he got his PharmD?