Wednesday, April 25, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

jkbrat
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Wednesday, April 25, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by jkbrat »

Paucle wrote: thanks for clearing up something that didn't need clearing up. I didn't mean what makes it = cash generally, but why is it cash specifically? What, in the properties that make bangers and mash what they are, equate to properties that make cash what it is? Otherwise, why can't bangers and mash = rash? crash? dash? lash? flash?
I despise the Cockney slang category (every time it comes up, which is all too often for my tastes!).

It usually ends up being just a guessing game, and guessable clues always tilt the playing field in favor of the less-knowledgeable contestant by reducing any advantage associated with having more knowledge. (Pretty much anyone can take a guess at what amounts to a word that rhymes with mash, but only someone who knows John Paul Jones and his association with the early American navy can give his name as a response).
There are times I almost think I am not sure of what I absolutely knooooooooo-OW

Learn, Review, Repeat

A Archipelago
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

Woof wrote: Paucle, it's not a code, it's a hash function. It was made purposefully obscure to make their speech incomprehensible to others. No one would claim any sort of isomorphism as indeed there is none. It's close to a one time pad usage as one needs to be in the know to understand it, especially in the rapid-fire patter of true Cockney. This was played to great comic effect by Don Cheadle in the remake of Ocean's 11.
Isn't it a code nevertheless?....Honestly, I thought I understood it until you threw in hash functions, isomorphism, and pad usage....! That's one Jeopardy! category I never want to see come up...
marpocky

Post by marpocky »

jkbrat wrote:
Paucle wrote: thanks for clearing up something that didn't need clearing up. I didn't mean what makes it = cash generally, but why is it cash specifically? What, in the properties that make bangers and mash what they are, equate to properties that make cash what it is? Otherwise, why can't bangers and mash = rash? crash? dash? lash? flash?
I despise the Cockney slang category (every time it comes up, which is all too often for my tastes!).

It usually ends up being just a guessing game, and guessable clues always tilt the playing field in favor of the less-knowledgeable contestant by reducing any advantage associated with having more knowledge. (Pretty much anyone can take a guess at what amounts to a word that rhymes with mash, but only someone who knows John Paul Jones and his association with the early American navy can give his name as a response).
Honestly though, there are a lot of J! clues/categories that aren't really about knowledge, but about "solving" or "unraveling" the clue. Wordplay and math categories come to mind, and clues where coming up with the correct response depends entirely on using the TOM rather relying than any particular knowledge base.

I don't see these as being really any different. It's not just any old word that rhymes with mash, but also one that a thief (or "tea leaf" :lol:) might be asking you to hand over.
davey

Post by davey »

jkbrat wrote:

One could say that the automatic association makes the JPJ clue too easy, since few people would get it from knowledge of the quotation...instead making the only guess available to them.
Whereas RHYMING SLANG's challenge is as a word game, just like "BEAN" THERE, and MILES' STANDOFFISH WORDS, and a large percentage of Jeopardy! categories.
Last edited by davey on Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jkbrat
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jkbrat »

marpocky wrote: Honestly though, there are a lot of J! clues/categories that aren't really about knowledge, but about "solving" or "unraveling" the clue. Wordplay and math categories come to mind, and clues where coming up with the correct response depends entirely on using the TOM rather relying than any particular knowledge base.

I don't see these as being really any different. It's not just any old word that rhymes with mash, but also one that a thief (or "tea leaf" :lol:) might be asking you to hand over.
I agree; there's a continuum of clues ranging from the totally guessable to the exclusively knowable (and everything in between), and J! is always some mix thereof. And, in general, I do like many of the other "solving" or "wordplay" type of clues.

I guess the Cockney category is just a bit too far to the guessable side of the spectrum for my tastes (a thief could ask you to hand over your stash), and when I hear the correct responses to the clues, my reaction tends to be more of the "so what" rather than the "hey, that's interesting" variety.
There are times I almost think I am not sure of what I absolutely knooooooooo-OW

Learn, Review, Repeat

A Archipelago
one-nil
Contributor

Post by one-nil »

What?! No love for The Arsenal? Just because they finish third in the table every year doesn't mean you can't support them! Come on, you Goonersz!

P.S. Best wishes to Bayern Munchen in the UCL Final.

P.P.S. Miss ya!
Proud Member of the Group of 360 (G360) Since 2007!
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

MarkBarrett wrote: San Francisco was the snap trash in seals.
My wrong guess was San Diego - I thought there might have been teams named in honor of the Navy SEALs.

On the plus side, I did well on this board overall, including the opera and Bible categories the contestants seemed to be avoiding.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

one-nil wrote:What?! No love for The Arsenal? Just because they finish third in the table every year doesn't mean you can't support them! Come on, you Goonersz!

P.P.S. Miss ya!
Wenger's coaching deficiencies have been exposed this year (IMO) in that he isn't skilled at halftime changes. Gunners certainly haven't looked as good this year, RvP notwithstanding. Bayern looked awfully good in dismissing Real, but Chelski also looked very sharp against Barça, especially after going down a man. Right now, though, I'm focused on the upcoming Derby, so all else pales in comparison.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

In the Miles category, when Alex said "Oo...this five letter word......" I immediately jumped in with "sorry". :oops: :oops:
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

The bit of rhyming slang that made to American English is "raspberry". It was shortened from "raspberry tart" which rhymes with the bodily function it sounds like.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
iowabelle
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by iowabelle »

thenextofken wrote:Embarrassed to admit this, but I've never even heard of Groupon. And no, TPH has not hijacked my sn. :)
I remember a similar question and the answer was "zappos." I'd never heard of that. How are we supposed to know what websites are relevant enough to be picked up by the researchers?

I only knew groupon b/c I do get that, although I've never actually used any of their suggestions.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

My groupon currently has an offer for a giant remote controlled floating shark which looks a whole lot like the one that was on the show recently
iowabelle
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by iowabelle »

jeff6286 wrote: I had no issues with anyone not getting San Francisco based on a long-gone baseball team, I was just needling TPH for saying that there was a city or something in that clue that he had never heard of.

As for LL Bean, all information I can find has it based in Freeport, Maine, rather than Rockport. Rockport, Maine's claim to fame is that it was home to Andre the seal, subject of a book, A Seal Called Andre, and a 1994 movie, just called Andre. Incidentally, the seal in that film was actually played by a sea lion, which the seal community could not have been happy about. As to how we would know to guess Maine rather than Massachusetts...that I have no idea. I instantly said Maine and was mildly surprised to learn that it was correct, because I really have no idea how or why I was aware of the city. I've never seen the movie or read the book, and nothing else on the Wiki page for Rockport, Maine jumps out at me as something I would know the town for. The MA town has a larger population, 6,952 to 3,209, so it isn't even the largest Rockport in New England. Movies have been filmed there, including The Man Without a Face, Casper, and In the Bedroom, but again I don't recall ever hearing the town's name in connection with any of the films, so it's still a mystery to me how I was able to get it. Anybody else have a good reason for being aware of Rockport, Maine?
I didn't know that seals had a community. :mrgreen:
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

iowabelle wrote:
thenextofken wrote:Embarrassed to admit this, but I've never even heard of Groupon. And no, TPH has not hijacked my sn. :)
I remember a similar question and the answer was "zappos." I'd never heard of that. How are we supposed to know what websites are relevant enough to be picked up by the researchers?
Zappos and Groupon are major websites and have been covered a lot in the media. J! seems to be asking about the most-visited websites in each category (Google, Yahoo, Facebook, Craigslist, eBay, Amazon, Wikipedia, Youtube, etc.) They rarely if ever ask about the leading websites' main competitors - for example, Youtube has been mentioned often in clues, but never Dailymotion or Vimeo.
Last edited by Magna on Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alamble

Post by alamble »

iowabelle wrote:
If you are a shoe-aholic, Zappos is the greatest thing EVER. Their customer service is truly outstanding.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

iowabelle wrote:
I didn't know that seals had a community. :mrgreen:
Image really? :mrgreen:
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Seals seals seals. Everyone knows otters are far better.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

The only reason I got the SF Seals question was that they held the minor league total season attendance record for years and years until it was broken by the old Louisville Redbirds back in the early 80s.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
cvanderb
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by cvanderb »

hello,

new here and don't know if i am doing this right. Just wanted to say thanks to those who have defended me and sorry to those whom I annoyed. In my defense, I played on 3 hours sleep, three weeks after a having a cancerous thyroid removed. Being hypothyroid messes with you; not an excuse, but I don't think I am normally quite that twitchy and babbly. Yes, I guessed a lot. And yes, i have confidence issues. I did not have digestive issues. :-) But i sincerely was sorry to see my new friends have to leave when they lost. We were really starting to have fun! I know that's sickeningly sweet sounding, but sorry, it's true. It is a shame anyone has to lose. And FWIW, i was happy for Jake when he won. I sat with his mom in the audience and we had a nice chat.

My main goal for going on was to make the $150 profit over my expenses getting to CA,and not to wet my pants out of sheer fear! So i am very happy with what i ended up taking home. It was my late husband's wish that i try out.

And I spent 20 years in Sunday school, so why the heck I didn't get centurion, i will never know. That stupid Madrid guess was just me caving in to the silence of no one buzzing. Yep, it was dumb. But I can't change it now.

Anyhow, enough whining. Just wanted to throw in on this one.

Cindy

p.s. hi Mike! I saw what you said in the paper. You are so nice! Wish we could do it all over again.
one-nil
Contributor

Post by one-nil »

Woof wrote:
one-nil wrote:What?! No love for The Arsenal? Just because they finish third in the table every year doesn't mean you can't support them! Come on, you Goonersz!

P.P.S. Miss ya!
Wenger's coaching deficiencies have been exposed this year (IMO) in that he isn't skilled at halftime changes. Gunners certainly haven't looked as good this year, RvP notwithstanding. Bayern looked awfully good in dismissing Real, but Chelski also looked very sharp against Barça, especially after going down a man. Right now, though, I'm focused on the upcoming Derby, so all else pales in comparison.
zOMG! After 6+ yrs. on these various boards, a kindred spirit appears! Futbol! Horseys! What's next...the Pavement band?! Anyway, best wishes, Woof, in the Derby. I shall start handicapping it only the night before...blasted computers!
Proud Member of the Group of 360 (G360) Since 2007!