Wednesday, April 25, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Austin Powers
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, April 25, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Austin Powers »

I think asking about the SF Seals is fair game, since it is where DiMaggio got his start IIRC (actually all the brothers).
davey

Post by davey »

Woof wrote:
thejeopardyfan wrote:It's a curiously unworkable business model where vendors, restaurants, etc sell massively discounted coupons under certain conditions. Say $10 for $25 off at the tapas (don't ask, TPH) place, 1/3 off a spa day, etc. The idea is you'll buy them and never use them, and so that money you paid for the discount is split between the vendor and Groupon. Now, if you do use the coupon, the vendor is short that. Or something like that.
But for all that, there are plenty of imitators that have sprung up....
I get deal emails from at least 4 different companies, including Amazon, and I can't recall signing up with them. Today they want to sell me swimming lessons at a nearby college...
DBear wrote:Guessed mule for ax on the Abe Lincoln DD. ....
"Ax" was my immediate response, and then I thought, Wait a minute, is "rail splitter" a kind of ax? Alas, I didn't find any usage where the phrase refers to the tool as well as the man...
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

lisa0012 wrote:I thought FJ! was beyond easy. Of course, I do live in a bigger city where people actually use Groupon regularly. I don't, because the featured deals rarely appeal to me (except the trampoline place the other day...).

Cindy's personality was endearing two days ago. By today I just didn't get it.
Never used Groupon myself and not familiar with the workings of the site...but I was familiar with it due to news about it's IPO prospects last year. (The investment community was wary. :D )
jeff6286 wrote: As for LL Bean, all information I can find has it based in Freeport, Maine, rather than Rockport. Rockport, Maine's claim to fame is that it was home to Andre the seal, subject of a book, A Seal Called Andre, and a 1994 movie, just called Andre.
KNEW that name sounded familiar...bet if I saw the movie I could've got that.
billy pilgrim wrote:I'm the first to point out the incorrect category heading of Miles' Standoffish ... MILES"S
As long as your consistent with your - s' - or - s's - throughout your document, it works.
(What is this, the Sony boards?!)

Hit and miss categories, imo. Couldn't get a grip on Cockney slang (if a robber asks for my bangers and mash, I'd seriously be all, "But...I don't have any potatoes..." because WTF?) and the opera one was pretty rough without TOMs. Liked the quotes and a few others though.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

thenextofken wrote:Embarrassed to admit this, but I've never even heard of Groupon. And no, TPH has not hijacked my sn. :)
FWIW you're not alone.

In my case, I just don't spend all that much time on the internet other than for business purposes and a tiny few, select personal reasons. I would probably be amazed to learn some of the things that are out there, but I'm no longer amazed to learn that there are things that "everybody knows," only I don't.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Volante wrote:As long as your consistent with your - s' - or - s's - throughout your document, it works.
AAAUUUUUGGGGHHHHHH!
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Volante wrote:Couldn't get a grip on Cockney slang (if a robber asks for my bangers and mash, I'd seriously be all, "But...I don't have any potatoes..." because WTF?)
I was surprised I ran that one. For future reference, most Cockney slang is "X and Y", with Y rhyming with whatever it's slang for.
Volante

Post by Volante »

alietr wrote:
Volante wrote:As long as your consistent with your - s' - or - s's - throughout your document, it works.
AAAUUUUUGGGGHHHHHH!
Tee-hee
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Volante wrote:
alietr wrote:
AAAUUUUUGGGGHHHHHH!
Tee-hee
I kind of suspected you were doing that deliberately. Nobody else seems too of cot you're its/it's messup, though.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Volante wrote:Couldn't get a grip on Cockney slang (if a robber asks for my bangers and mash, I'd seriously be all, "But...I don't have any potatoes..." because WTF?)
I was surprised I ran that one. For future reference, most Cockney slang is "X and Y", with Y rhyming with whatever it's slang for.
This is the category I hated. Cockney rhyming slang is the stupidest thing ever and this from someone who loves wordplay categories. Why is "bangers and mash" = to "cash"? Simply because it rhymes? One has nothing to do with the other.
If all that is required is a rhyme, then I guess "While scratching my bangers and mash I caused a lorry bangers and mash so I had to bangers and mash to my flat to get the lorry driver bangers and mash. Quick as an eye bangers and mash I was back in a bangers and mash.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Okay, found a copy of the episode and looked again at Seals. I guess I really didn't see Sea World in that clue. My ears and eyes skipped right from "Pacific Point Preserve" to "This Florida city" and I was wondering how the heck Pacific Point Preserve was $200 material.

Also, as a Penguins of Madagascar fan, I have no excuse for missing Central Park Zoo.
Why is "bangers and mash" = to "cash"?
As I pointed out already, Cockney rhyming slang takes the form "X and Y", with Y being a word that rhymes with whatever it is. In retrospect, Alex probably should've explained that. I thought that the clues were pretty easy if you knew the rhyme trick, but apparently some of you guys didn't.
Onairb

Post by Onairb »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
But, just so it can confuse Americans even more, the Brits like to shorten those 'X and Y' phrases to 'X'...for instance, they'll refer to 'stairs' as 'apples and pears', but usually shorten it to 'apples'.
jkbrat
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jkbrat »

MexiKen wrote: Er... kind of. The idea is that the profit margin that the vendor sacrifices on going into the Groupon is made up by the fact that they increase their volume substantially.
"Sure, we lose money on every sale, but we'll make up for it in volume!"

Gotta go out and get me some of this Groupon stock! :roll:
There are times I almost think I am not sure of what I absolutely knooooooooo-OW

Learn, Review, Repeat

A Archipelago
Volante

Post by Volante »

bpmod wrote: I kind of suspected you were doing that deliberately. Nobody else seems too of cot you're its/it's messup, though.

Brian
(oop, 'it's' was not deliberate...but it is there now, no point trying to slyly edit it...)
Volante

Post by Volante »

jkbrat wrote:
MexiKen wrote: Er... kind of. The idea is that the profit margin that the vendor sacrifices on going into the Groupon is made up by the fact that they increase their volume substantially.
"Sure, we lose money on every sale, but we'll make up for it in volume!"

Gotta go out and get me some of this Groupon stock! :roll:
http://gizmodo.com/5905283/groupon-ceo- ... upid-risks

Honestly, the link pretty much says it all. :lol:
jkbrat
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jkbrat »

dhkendall wrote: And I swear I heard at least one of the contestants refer to the category "Miles Standish". I think that to this day they thought that this was a category about the famous Pilgrim.
I think it was meant to be about Miles Standish, albeit indirectly. Miles Standish was a bit "standoffish" (to say the least!) when it came to his wooing of Priscilla Mullens (BTW, first name is sufficient on that if she ever happens to come up on a Jeopardy! clue :lol: ).
There are times I almost think I am not sure of what I absolutely knooooooooo-OW

Learn, Review, Repeat

A Archipelago
jkbrat
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jkbrat »

davey wrote:e...
DBear wrote:Guessed mule for ax on the Abe Lincoln DD. ....
"Ax" was my immediate response, and then I thought, Wait a minute, is "rail splitter" a kind of ax? Alas, I didn't find any usage where the phrase refers to the tool as well as the man...
I got ax (via railsplitter), and I suspect Jacob might have gotten there as well if he had just taken a few more seconds before answering.

Or, maybe not.

Sometimes when one possible answer comes to you, even if you're not particularly happy with it, it prevents any other answers from being considered. The brain's like, "I'm done here; let's move along" no matter how much you plead with it to keep working on the problem. :?

But, I'm happy that the miss didn't end up costing him the game. I was totally rooting for him after his interview story about his grandparents being in the audience, and then Jeopardy! showed them in the audience clapping after his win (way to go, TPTB!!)!!
Awwww .... I'm just a sucker for stuff like that. :mrgreen:

Learn, Review, Repeat

A Archipelago
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
As I pointed out already, Cockney rhyming slang takes the form "X and Y", with Y being a word that rhymes with whatever it is. In retrospect, Alex probably should've explained that. I thought that the clues were pretty easy if you knew the rhyme trick, but apparently some of you guys didn't.
thanks for clearing up something that didn't need clearing up. I didn't mean what makes it = cash generally, but why is it cash specifically? What, in the properties that make bangers and mash what they are, equate to properties that make cash what it is? Otherwise, why can't bangers and mash = rash? crash? dash? lash? flash?
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Sausage and mash, Paucle. Sausage and mash.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Paucle wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
thanks for clearing up something that didn't need clearing up. I didn't mean what makes it = cash generally, but why is it cash specifically? What, in the properties that make bangers and mash what they are, equate to properties that make cash what it is? Otherwise, why can't bangers and mash = rash? crash? dash? lash? flash?
Paucle, it's not a code, it's a hash function. It was made purposefully obscure to make their speech incomprehensible to others. No one would claim any sort of isomorphism as indeed there is none. It's close to a one time pad usage as one needs to be in the know to understand it, especially in the rapid-fire patter of true Cockney. This was played to great comic effect by Don Cheadle in the remake of Ocean's 11.
marpocky

Post by marpocky »

Vanya wrote:Sausage and mash, Paucle. Sausage and mash.
"Right, I forgot, here in the States, you call it a sausage in the mouth."