Alex retiring

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

alietr
Site Admin

Re: Alex retiring

Post by alietr »

Despite the fact that I don't see it happening anytime soon ... Todd Alan Crain would do pretty well.
okstater04
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by okstater04 »

teapot37 wrote:I think Pat would be a great choice. The WSoPC was a sadly under-appreciated show, IMHO.
Creepy post coming in 3..2..1....I was there when you guys came to Lawrence, KS to play the live game. It was a lot of fun!

Season 3....Season 3.....
Austin Powers
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Austin Powers »

Kiernan is Canadian, meaning that the little known provision of the Webster-Asburton treaty that requires that the host of Jeopardy! be a Canadian is also satisfied.
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

The most hilarious thing about that article is the number of people posting comments at the end saying they will NOT WATCH JEPERDY ANY MORE if that computer Watson takes Alex's place. I wonder if they would believe me if I told them their clock radio is watching them get dressed in the morning -- watching them naked and laughing! Ha ha ha ha!

Rex
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

On CBS's Sunday Morning show today they announced there would be an interview with Alex on next week's 5/13 show.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Joon can now put that he has appeared on Fox News Sunday on his resume. :)
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

We'll see if when Alex retires, they know who will succced him before the last show airs. Drew Carey wasn't named the new host of TPIR until August 2007, two months after Barker's last show taped/aired(when Drew was hosting Power of 10 on CBS primetime)
Peggles
Grand Exalted Queen of the Universe

Post by Peggles »

Rex Kramer wrote:The most hilarious thing about that article is the number of people posting comments at the end saying they will NOT WATCH JEPERDY ANY MORE if that computer Watson takes Alex's place. I wonder if they would believe me if I told them their clock radio is watching them get dressed in the morning -- watching them naked and laughing! Ha ha ha ha!

Rex
OMG! I'm going to go into my bedroom right now and cover that clock. Thanks, Rex.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Austin Powers wrote:Kiernan is Canadian, meaning that the little known provision of the Webster-As[h]burton treaty that requires that the host of Jeopardy! be a Canadian is also satisfied.
So *that*'s what the War of 1812 was about, having that sneak Art Fleming in for so many years!
econgator wrote:Joon can now put that he has appeared on Fox News Sunday on his resume. :)
So can I, but it was for the same incident that also got me on COPS.

(I can't discuss the case in public, but I can say I'm keeping the jumprope.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

econgator wrote:Joon can now put that he has appeared on Fox News Sunday on his resume. :)
ha! thanks for the heads-up.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

I'm available.... I think.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

teapot37 wrote:I think Pat would be a great choice. The WSoPC was a sadly under-appreciated show, IMHO.
I agree on both counts. I'll be sad to see Alex go when he finally decides to retire, but when he does, I'm throwing my support behind Pat for the job.
whoisalexjacob
2015 TOC'er

Post by whoisalexjacob »

I'm a big fan of Jeff Probst, and I've also suggested him at some point. But thinking about it more, would he really be able to do Survivor and Jeopardy at the same time? Hmm, Survivor premiered on May 2000 and Rock and Roll Jeopardy ran from August 8, 1998 to May 12, 2001, so there was probably some overlap there. It still seems like it would be a lot to have him do both shows, but I don't really know what I'm talking about. (It's great that Probst is undefeated in the Reality Host category at the Emmys. Here's hoping that he keeps beating out Seacrest and Bergeron et al every year.)'

What about someone like Andy Richter? He may not have a high enough Q-rating at this point. My instinct is that they'll go with a celebrity a la Drew Carey. But maybe I'm wrong and Jeopardy is more of a highbrow operation. Pat Kiernan would probably be a good highbrow choice. He's obviously shown a good ability to read trivia questions.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

omgwheelhouse wrote:
What about someone like Andy Richter? He may not have a high enough Q-rating at this point. My instinct is that they'll go with a celebrity a la Drew Carey. But maybe I'm wrong and Jeopardy is more of a highbrow operation. Pat Kiernan would probably be a good highbrow choice. He's obviously shown a good ability to read trivia questions.
Andy Richter did host a Pyramid pilot a couple of years ago(CBS considered a revival of Pyramid as a replacement for both Guiding LIght and As the World Turns, but in the end Let's Make a Deal replaced GL and The Talk replaced ATWT). I don't know if he'd be a good choice for J!, or don't now how good he was on Pyramid.
slam
Auditioning Since 1985

Post by slam »

Kelly with guest host Michael Strahan discussed the possibility that Alex would be retiring. (Don't think badly of me. This was one of the few times I've seen the show as it was on in the background as I was visiting someone in the hospital). As far as I could tell, they were simply rehashing the earlier item and didn't actually have any new information.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

My thought on Alex's replacement: Neil Patrick Harris.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
Doug527
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Doug527 »

OntarioQuizzer wrote:My thought on Alex's replacement: Neil Patrick Harris.
Not sure if this is sarcastic or not...but I don't disapprove of this at all. He's an excellent awards show presenter and while it might be rocky off the bat (some of those clues are darn tough to pronounce!), I think he'd hit his stride. And I think this would also help draw in the cohort of younger viewers.
Lifelong enthusiast. Season 28 contestant.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

He lacks gravitas.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I'm guessing NPH makes a lot more for How I Met Your Mother than Alex does for Jeopardy!.
whoisalexjacob
2015 TOC'er

Post by whoisalexjacob »

Anderson Cooper? Dennis Miller? "Pants on the Ground" guy?