Think Different Contest #149: Beating me at my own game (again!)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

xxaaaxx
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Think Different Contest #149: Beating me at my own game (again!)

Post by xxaaaxx »

I hate every single one of you. :evil: :evil: :evil:

:mrgreen:
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

There were 31 players in TD 149 (not counting myself). The following 21 battled hard, but were unable to beat me at my own game:

Creed Bratton 348.4
Cortina431 323.5
amorris525 289.5
spell4yr 285.4
dhkendall 284.6
DadofTwins 277.1
gloriaclemente 274.9
debramc 263.1
Woppy T 262.9
Turd Ferguson 261.0
Bamaman 256.6
cbec 254.7
SkeeBallRaif 252.0
gamawire 251.1
Le Master 251.0
billy pilgrim 242.4
econgator 238.7
Magna 235.5
jpahk 235.2
MarkBarrett 231.3
jeff6286 228.4
goforthetie

Post by goforthetie »

These next 7 players had some great answers, and with just a little more luck could have made the podium. However, they too were unable to beat me at my own game. Give it up for

xxaaaxx 227.1
Paucle 226.2
cheezguyty 222.3
RandyG 215.7
Vanya 205.1
Woof 200.5
TreehugginCowgirl 196.4
goforthetie

Post by goforthetie »

Before we get to the three medalists, who DID beat me at my own game, some special awards.

The "No Peeking" Award, given to the contestants who gave 12 correct answers whilst never copying one of mine:
DadofTwins
SkeeBallRaif
jeff6286
Woof
+ the three podiumites

The "Boom or Bust" Award, given to a contestant who made the top 10 even while having 3 wrong answers:
cheezguyty

... and finally, the "Never Has It Been More Obvious That He's a Middle-Aged White Guy from Canada, and We Love Him For It" Award:
Given to our favorite vexillologist, dhkendall, for his guess that Vanilla Ice may have won a Rap Grammy. :mrgreen:
goforthetie

Post by goforthetie »

These three players were the only ones to beat me at my own game! (Hey, it's not my fault that none of my answers became the sheep!)

In third place, with a Ludacris score of 188.4 points, it's plasticene!

Coming in second place, with a score of 168.9, she might be an English teacher but she still knows Heron's formula... Peggles!!

And finally, we have someone who had a dominating perfomance from start to finish. An average score of 7.6 per question and SIX singletons will do that for you. Ladies and gentlemen, your winner of TD 149 with a measly 90.9 points...

Austin Powers!!!!

Thanks to everyone for playing, and drive home safely!
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

goforthetie wrote:Before we get to the three medalists, who DID beat me at my own game, some special awards.
So you came in fourth? Pretty impressive, on your part, and everyone elses!

I was kind of disappointed that your scores weren't revealed with the rest of ours throughout the game and now (unless I missed something)
goforthetie wrote:... and finally, the "Never Has It Been More Obvious That He's a Middle-Aged White Guy from Canada, and We Love Him For It" Award:
Given to our favorite vexillologist, dhkendall, for his guess that Vanilla Ice may have won a Rap Grammy. :mrgreen:
:mrgreen:

Hey, they've awarded Grammies to much stranger (Milli Vanilli, anyone?)

And thank you for the award. I shall cherish it.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Peggles
Grand Exalted Queen of the Universe

Post by Peggles »

Thanks for a super game! Congratulations to my fellow podiumistas.

My special thanks to Charlie Epps and Numb3rs for Heron. I enjoyed that show and was sorry to see it canceled. I sometimes watch reruns on the weekend.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

bpmod wrote:
econgator wrote:
goforthetie wrote: Tampa Bay Rays (3 -> 18 pts) (Tropicana Field: 1990, though the Rays weren't around then)
And, to be fair, it wasn't even Tropicana Field back then, it was the Florida Suncoast Dome (same building, though).
I was gonna say that a few of them have changed names over the years, but maybe Rogers Centre is the only other one.

Brian
The As now play at O.co Coliseum.
goforthetie

Post by goforthetie »

dhkendall wrote: So you came in fourth? Pretty impressive, on your part, and everyone elses!

I was kind of disappointed that your scores weren't revealed with the rest of ours throughout the game and now (unless I missed something)
Thanks, but there's not really any strategy or knowledge required on my part. Effectively I'm just turning one of the answers to each question into an always-available WILDCARD. Maybe now that everyone knows that picking the given answer can actually pay off, next time I do something like this I'll make one of the given answers a wrong one. :)

Total score for "my" answers: 191.5
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

Nice game. Obviously I liked these questions better than other TDs.
SkeeBallRaif
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by SkeeBallRaif »

dhkendall wrote: My first thought to the question: "Nicholas II". ""Wait, that's too well known. I'll be smart and subtract an I. Zig when I'm expected to zag. Think *different*."
Wow, I really did borrow your brain for this quiz dh--once again, I had the identical reasoning as you. (Though mine was probably more like "Nicholas II." "Wait, that's too well known. There's gotta be a Nicholas I if there was a Nicholas II, right?")

How do we think so alike? Quick, what number am I thinking of?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

So I could have copied every one of your answers and finished fourth???????

I've got an idea in mind for a Chronology game. That hasn't been done in a while and its the only one of our games I haven't run yet, so I can cross it off my jboard bucket list. It will (probably) be about that fun filled decade we all know and love, the 1930s.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Bamaman wrote:So I could have copied every one of your answers and finished fourth???????
Well, fifth actually, except that you doing that would have made the results overall quite different.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
plasticene

Post by plasticene »

Thanks for the game, goforthetie! I'm stunned. I was already pleased that I was hanging in there in the standings, but I never thought I'd sneak into the top three.

For Archimedes, I was thinking of the spiral of Archimedes. When goforthetie said all the Archimedean objects were obscure, I initially thought I must be confusing it with something else, but no, it really is a thing, and not that obscure, I don't think.

Fiddlededee! I figured "embarrass" would sheep, but I was in a hurry to get my entry in, so I didn't give it as much thought as it deserved. I'm very impressed with TreehugginCowgirl's obscure "cossette", which isn't even good in Scrabble.

Ludacris (actually Ludakris on my entry) was the only rap name I could think of that wasn't on the list provided. I just had to cross my fingers and hope he was a Grammy winner.

Lucked out with Argentina. I've been to Iguazu Falls, which is at the northeastern tip of Argentina, but even so, it's still south of the tropic of Capricorn, which surprised me.

I actually saw a bear the other night. Black bears come to my neighborhood fairly regularly, but I never manage to see one. I pulled into my driveway and my neighbor walked up and told me there was a bear nearby. I somehow got the impression it was across the street in someone's yard, but it was actually on our side, sitting on the sidewalk and looking at us from about 30 yards away. I started heading toward the house and the bear got up and walked across the street. A fun sighting!
goforthetie

Post by goforthetie »

bpmod wrote:
Bamaman wrote:So I could have copied every one of your answers and finished fourth???????
Well, fifth actually, except that you doing that would have made the results overall quite different.

Brian
Right. A new player who copied all of my answers would increase the score of those answers by 46.9 points, for a total of 238.4. 15th place for me, 16th place for the new guy. If it were you switching, then even more might change because the sheep answers might go down.
goforthetie

Post by goforthetie »

plasticene wrote: For Archimedes, I was thinking of the spiral of Archimedes. When goforthetie said all the Archimedean objects were obscure, I initially thought I must be confusing it with something else, but no, it really is a thing, and not that obscure, I don't think.
Good point. I forgot about that one.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

goforthetie wrote:... and finally, the "Never Has It Been More Obvious That He's a Middle-Aged White Guy from Canada, and We Love Him For It" Award:
I hope the award is a paper bag he can wear over his head!
;)
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Many thanks for this TD, gfft, and hearty congratulations to all of our most deserving podiumites. And thanks to AP for once demonstrating that he operates on a different plane than we mere mortals. :D
Creed Bratton
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Creed Bratton »

Magna wrote:
I hope the award is a paper bag he can wear over his head!
;)
Shouldn't I get the paper bag for finishing dead last? :oops:
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

Thanks for the game, goforthetie! :)