Monday, May 21, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, May 21, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6381, 2012-05-21

Joel Pool game 1.

CONTESTANTS
Cindy Hager, a mixed animal veterinarian from Banner, Wyoming
Joel Pool, a real estate developer from Oakland, California
Jacob Silverman, an arts and culture journalist from Brooklyn, New York (whose 3-day cash winnings total $35,998)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. And you, too, ladies and gentlemen. Welcome. As great as our nation's capital is, believe me, it is good to be back home here in Southern California. Our champion, Jacob, has been waiting a while to compete again. And today he faces Cindy and Joel. Welcome aboard. Good luck. Let's go to work, shall we? These are the categories for this first round of play...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
3-NAMED AUTHORS (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
NUMBER, PLEASE (5/5)
FAMOUS IVY LEAGUERS (4/5)
SOUNDS LIKE 2 LETTERS (5/5)
GIRL SCOUT COOKIES (3/5)
S'MOORS (3/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Cindy: 9 R (including 2 rebounds), 0 W
Jacob: 10 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Joel: 5 R, 3 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 5
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,000

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Cindy: $3,400
Jacob: $3,200
Joel: $800

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: We introduced Cindy Hager as a mixed animal veterinarian, which means, I guess, you work on all kinds of animals?

Cindy: Yeah. Anything from turtles, dogs, cats, horses. When I...

Alex: You've also worked on my favorite animal, the musk ox.

Cindy: Yeah, when I worked in Alaska, I worked at a clinic that was the veterinary clinic for the musk ox farm there in Palmer.

Alex: Yeah. Aren't they marvelous beasts?

Cindy: Gorgeous. Just gorgeous. I loved it.

Alex: Good, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Alex: Joel Pool, a real estate developer from Oakland, California, drove his brand-new car to New York City, and partway there, thought, wisely, that he had had too much to drink, so what did he do?

Joel: We were actually in New York with a, uh, college buddy of mine who had grown up there. And, uh, he was more than happy to drive. And it was the longest, uh, drive from Manhattan to Brooklyn that I've ever taken.

Alex: Why?

Joel: He was off the road, and I was yelling at him, and he kept smiling and smiling, and finally, I blew up and said, "Why did you say you were okay to drive?" And he said, "Well, I've never driven a car before."

Alex: Oh. Hello.

[Laughter]

Alex: A choice between a drunk driver and someone who's never driven before. Nothing bad happened, though.

Alex: Jacob Silverman has done some traveling. He's our champion. Spent time in one of my favorite countries--Kenya, in Central Africa.

Jacob: That's right. I spent about six weeks there at the beginning of last year. Uh, traveling...

Alex: Visiting your girlfriend?

Jacob: Visiting my girlfriend. She, uh, works in public health. She was running a health program there. And I was traveling around, spending time with her, also did some reporting.

Alex: Okay. Great experience, I bet.

Jacob: Oh, it was wonderful. I'd love to go back.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Jacob found the Daily Double on the 20th clue. Jacob had $4,600, Joel had $1,200, and Cindy was at $3,600. Jacob wagered $2,500.

3-NAMED AUTHORS $1000: Her final resting place is a Missouri cemetery where she shares a headstone with husband Almanzo
(Jacob: Who is Willa Cather?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
FAMOUS IVY LEAGUERS $800: He graduated from Brown as an honors playwright before getting into acting playing Jim Halpert
(Alex: Jacob, you knew that. You should have rung in. Go again.)

S'MOORS $600: This Portuguese town where visions were seen in 1917 was named for a count's wife, a Moor who became a Christian

S'MOORS $800: In 732 the Moors had penetrated into France but were turned back at Tours by this grandfather of Charlemagne

GIRL SCOUT COOKIES $800: Also called Do-si-dos, this sandwich cookie is one of 3 varieties sold every year by all Girl Scouts

GIRL SCOUT COOKIES $1000: New for 2012, Savannah Smiles are this fruit flavor, reviving the "Coolers" of a few years back
(Joel: What is peach?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Cindy: $4,200
Jacob: $3,700
Joel: $600
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, May 21, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
ON THE WORLD HERITAGE LIST (4/5)
LOFTY LANGUAGE (3/5)
AMERICAN NICKNAMES (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
WEBCAMS (4/5)
WEATHER HISTORY (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
"BIG" MOVIE QUOTES (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Joel: 11 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Jacob: 7 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Cindy: 5 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 6
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $9,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Cindy snagged the next Daily Double on the 17th clue. Jacob had $5,300, Joel had $3,800, and Cindy was at $6,600. Cindy wagered $1,600.

AMERICAN NICKNAMES $1600: The Department of State & an area of Washington, D.C. are nicknamed this
(Cindy: What is Embassy Row?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Joel who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 29th clue. Jacob had $9,700, Joel had $5,400, and Cindy was at $7,800. Joel wagered $3,000.

WEATHER HISTORY $1600: In 1944 bombers at high altitude were speedily propelled forward--what's now called this 2-word phenomenon

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
"BIG" MOVIE QUOTES $800: 1985:
"Be sure and tell 'em Large Marge sent ya"

LOFTY LANGUAGE $1600: 7-letter adjective for ornate prose or for a Hawaiian shirt

LOFTY LANGUAGE $2000: This word meaning "lofty" is also the highest reputation level in World of Warcraft

ON THE WORLD HERITAGE LIST $1600: In Italy:
The Piazza del Duomo with the much-photographed campanile called this
(Joel: What is El Doumo?)

AMERICAN NICKNAMES $2000: Before it proved itself successful, this steamboat was referred to as "Fulton's folly"

WEBCAMS $1600: You might want to keep an eye on the webcam of this volcano next to Mauna Loa; it's the world's most active
(Joel: What is Mauna Kea?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Jacob: $11,700
Joel: $8,400
Cindy: $7,800

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
DRAMA

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Two-thirds for first place. Stratton's Dilemma.
Jacob: Wager $5,101 to cover Joel.
Joel: You ought to wager to cover Cindy, but since you cannot win on a Triple Stumper if you do so, you should choose between wagering $0 and maximizing your winnings by betting all $8,400. You are in Stratton's Dilemma, calling for a wager of more than $7,200 (to shut out Cindy) or less than $1,800 (risking the possibility of being passed from behind by Cindy). Go with the smaller bet if you believe a Triple Stumper is more likely than a singleton miss by Jacob.
Cindy: Consider risking between $601 and $1,200. This will top a $0 wager by Joel while still beating Jacob on the Triple Stumper (should Jacob wager to cover Joel's doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This play that came to Broadway in 2005 is set in the autumn of 1964 at St. Nicholas Church School in the Bronx

FINAL SCORES
Cindy: $7,800 - $3,901 = $3,899 (What is) (3rd place: $1,000)
Joel: $8,400 + $8,300 = $16,700 (What Doubt) (New champion: $16,700)
Jacob: $11,700 - $5,200 = $6,500 (What is The History Boys?) (2nd place: $2,000)
(Alex: Powerful play made into a powerful movie starring Philip Seymour Hoffman and Meryl Streep.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $13,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Jacob: $14,200, 17 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)
Cindy: $9,400, 14 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Joel: $7,000, 16 R (including 1 DD), 5 W
Combined Coryat: $30,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Jacob: 17/59 = .288
Joel: 17/59 = .288
Cindy: 14/59 = .237
Team: 48/63 = .762

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
FAMOUS IVY LEAGUERS $400: A very young Oscar winner, this actress could mix her "True Blood" with the blue bloods at Columbia
(Jacob: [No response])

FAMOUS IVY LEAGUERS $1000: She graduated magna cum laude from Penn and got some medical training playing Dr. Kim Briggs on "Scrubs"

NUMBER, PLEASE $400: It follows "MI" in the name of Britain's domestic security service
(Joel: What is MI-6?)

SOUNDS LIKE 2 LETTERS $400: Wall-climber seen here

S'MOORS $1000: (Kelly of the Clue Crew shows a map on the monitor.) Soon after most of the Iberian Peninsula was conquered by the Moors in the 8th century, the Spanish began regaining lost territory until around 1300 only this Moorish kingdom remained

GIRL SCOUT COOKIES $200: The first recorded Girl Scout cookie sale occurred in December 1917 by the Mistletoe Troop in Muskogee in this state
(Joel: What is Wisconsin?)

LOFTY LANGUAGE $800: This adjective for overblown verbiage comes from a shorter word paired with "circumstance"
(Cindy: What is pomp?)

AMERICAN NICKNAMES $1200: Adjective in common to Ronald Reagan, the ____ President, & John Gotti, the ____ Don
(Jacob: What is Dapper?)

WEBCAMS $400: In April of 2011, people set their browsers to watch these baby birds hatch in Decorah, Iowa

WEBCAMS $800: If you can't get to St. Barts, just stare at the screen and imagine yourself by this sea

WEBCAMS $1200: This 5:30 PM footage that might want to make you work late is from Caltrans, short for this state government department

WEBCAMS $2000: This lady has a great view of a great American city; you can share it via webcam

CORRECT RESPONSES
Laura Ingalls Wilder
John Krasinski
Fatima
Charles Martel ("The Hammer")
the peanut butter sandwich
lemon
Foggy Bottom
a jet stream
Pee Wee's Big Adventure
flowery
exalted
the Leaning Tower of Pisa
the Clermont
Kilauea
Doubt
Anna Paquin
Elizabeth Banks
ivy
Grenada
Oklahoma
pompous
Teflon
bald eagles
the Caribbean
the California Department of Transportation
the Statue of Liberty
legendneverdies
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, May 21, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by legendneverdies »

Will the new one day record be set today, on the 20th anniversary of Jerome Vered's one day record for the 1984-2001 values being set?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

legendneverdies wrote:Will the new one day record be set today, on the 20th anniversary of Jerome Vered's one day record for the 1984-2001 values being set?
No.
thenextofken

Post by thenextofken »

Congrats to Joel on the win, and being the sole get in final.

"Lemons" at the bottom of the board was almost cruel, especially when spotted "Savannah." Peaches would've been my answer as well.

On the clue referring to "this state department," would they have accepted "California Transportation?" Suppose someone had said just "California"...would Alex have given a BMS or just waited for more information?
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Yet another show dewmonstrates that, despite my having a BA in Theatre, this is a category that is one of those I definitely need to brush up on. Hadn't a clue what to write for Final. :(

And, yes, agreed that "peach" was a neg bait.
thenextofken wrote:On the clue referring to "this state department," would they have accepted "California Transportation?" Suppose someone had said just "California"...would Alex have given a BMS or just waited for more information?
He's done a "we need the ... " before, for example, in this case, "we need the department as well".
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Thought for sure I'd run Girl Scout Cookies (precalled Thin Mints, the only kind I like), but stupidly said Great Depression instead of WWII. Never heard Do-Si-Dos referred to as "peanut butter sandwich". Also, glad to see I'm not the only one who fell for the HUGE Savannah->Peach neg bait on that cookie clue. (Why are they called Savannah anyway? Just to screw with people?)

Also can't believe I couldn't figure out Emmy. All I could pull out was Oscar — no, that doesn't sound like letters. Grammy, Tony, Clio, bowling trophy… come on, I know this one!

I can't recall the last time I got all the $400s right in DJ! Oddly, I got none of the $800s.

Unsurprised that I had nothing on FJ!
Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

So
Spoiler
What...Doubt?
is acceptable? That isn't even a question if pronounced the way its written. If someone can enlighten me if there is a reason it is acceptable, I'm all ears.

- Missed final, and being I know an inordinate amount of Broadway plays, I missed it, going Billy Elliott instead.
Adam Seth Moss
DoorDasher (since May 7, 2020)
M.A. History, Western Illinois Univ, 2017
B.A. History (minors in PoliSci & PubAdm), Montclair State Univ, 2015
A.A. History & Education, Middlesex County Coll., 2013
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

Doubt must be one hell of a play to be worth the FJ on two separate occasions:

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=943

The champ gets the $1200 in Weather right IIRC, then goes to the $400 in the neighboring category. Someone else then snatches the $1600 in Weather, which is the DD. If the champ gets it instead and bets, say, $2000 and gets it right (a safe bet, it's an easy DD), he wins despite his FJ answer of The History Boys, where there is no doubt at all about the pedophilia (in fact you are left with the uncomfortable sense that your teacher grabbing your crotch on a bike is just the thing teachers do).

BTW there is some reason to think that the "Clermont" was not, in fact, the Clermont, but we call it that anyway.
Last edited by Austin Powers on Mon May 21, 2012 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Roadgeek Adam wrote:So
Spoiler
What...Doubt?
is acceptable? That isn't even a question if pronounced the way its written.
It looked like there was an edit, so they were likely deliberating over whether or not to take that.

I remember "What the Maine?" being taken before.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

Roadgeek Adam wrote:So
Spoiler
What...Doubt?
is acceptable? That isn't even a question if pronounced the way its written. If someone can enlighten me if there is a reason it is acceptable, I'm all ears.

- Missed final, and being I know an inordinate amount of Broadway plays, I missed it, going Billy Elliott instead.
Don't they tell you how to phrase it ahead of time? Very weird of him.
ACW

Post by ACW »

Joon would've gotten the Warcraft one I'm sure :lol:
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

Austin Powers wrote:Doubt must be one hell of a play to be worth the FJ on two separate occasions:

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=943
Very well known play (and well-honored, as you can see), and the movie was also very strong, receiving five Oscar noms, including one for each of the four main actors. So yes, I see it as a play not only should we be familiar with, but will become a classic that is studied with the other essentials of American theater..

Oh, and it was an instaget for me, obviously.
alamble

Post by alamble »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Thought for sure I'd run Girl Scout Cookies (precalled Thin Mints, the only kind I like), but stupidly said Great Depression instead of WWII. Never heard Do-Si-Dos referred to as "peanut butter sandwich". Also, glad to see I'm not the only one who fell for the HUGE Savannah->Peach neg bait on that cookie clue. (Why are they called Savannah anyway? Just to screw with people?)
Savannah is the hometown of the GSA. "Cooler" was the TOM for that question.
Frank Hardy

Post by Frank Hardy »

Perhaps the new champion was channelling Tarzan, Tonto, and Frankenstein's Monster from Saturday Night Live. :lol:
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Other than this show, I have never heard of that play or the movie. Given the name of the clue, I wrote down Santa Claus just to have something.

I thought the new champ bet too small on the DD. The scores were :

$9,700
$7,800
$5,400

There was one $2,000 clue left on the board. While his bet of $3,000 gets him into second place, he can still be passed if she gets the last clue. He is within striking distance of first, but he would need to get the last one right. He is out of contention is he misses the DD, so he might as well go all in (or all but a dollar) and hope he can hang on to first through the last clue, which he wouldn't have, but that's beside the point.

I said eaglet for the one in the bird's nest. I assume they'd have taken that. Was asking us to identify a video of a bald eagle left over from last week?
HugoZ
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by HugoZ »

Frank Hardy wrote:Perhaps the new champion was channelling Tarzan, Tonto, and Frankenstein's Monster from Saturday Night Live. :lol:
Just had a mental picture of Phil Hartman reacting to the announcement of an Oprah category.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

alamble wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Thou
Savannah is the hometown of the GSA. "Cooler" was the TOM for that question.

Explain, please. There are peach coolers. Unless you can convince me otherwise, this is a horrible clue.
Not my strong area, but I got Doubt on the FJ.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

DBear wrote:
alamble wrote:Savannah is the hometown of the GSA. "Cooler" was the TOM for that question.
Explain, please. There are peach coolers. Unless you can convince me otherwise, this is a horrible clue.
She's referring to the fact that there used to be a Lemon Coolers flavor of Girl Scout cookies until 2006. Still, barring that, it is very easy to go with peach.
Last edited by TenPoundHammer on Mon May 21, 2012 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alamble

Post by alamble »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
DBear wrote:
alamble wrote:Savannah is the hometown of the GSA. "Cooler" was the TOM for that question.
He's referring to the fact that there used to be a Lemon Coolers flavor of Girl Scout cookies until 2006. Still, barring that, it is very easy to go with peach.
That would be "she," thanks very much. There's never been a peach-flavored Girl Scout Cookie, incidentally.