Monday, May 28, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

TenPoundHammer

Re: Monday, May 28, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Bamaman wrote:I'm the most muscly uninclined person on these boards and I got FJ. Although my heart skipped a beat when I saw Freddy Fender.
I think they were going for Leo Fender, as in Fender guitars.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Johnblue wrote:
zakharov wrote:Instagot FJ, but did not do nearly as well on the boards. I got a C in algebra back in tenth grade you Jeopardy Jerks!

Les Paul played a weekly show here in NYC until right before he died, I think that helped me remember.

Yes, he played every night at Iridium off Times Square. I'm going there to see Charlie Watts for a couple of shows in late June. I actually watched the first half of the show w/o doing other crap & I was 29/30, shepherd moons the exception. DJ was tougher. Interestingly, I did better in A-uthors as the money got bigger..
I wish I had noticed the category was "A"uthors, I wouldn't have switched from Alcott to Emily Bronte on the DD. :mrgreen:
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Bamaman wrote:I'm the most muscly uninclined person on these boards and I got FJ. Although my heart skipped a beat when I saw Freddy Fender.
Freedy Fender? I thought that was Leo Fender.

Brian

EDIT: Beat to the punch by TPH.
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
I think they were going for Leo Fender, as in Fender guitars.
I told you I didn't know music!!!!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Bamaman wrote:I told you I didn't know music!!!!
We certainly can't deny you that after that one!

My mind went briefly to Marshall (because he just died), but then I realized that he did just die, so I quickly landed on Paul.
Johnblue
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Johnblue »

The Johnny Cash answer puzzled me since he's not known for inventing anything although he did dome awesome music. Plus he passed away in 2003.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Johnblue wrote:The Johnny Cash answer puzzled me since he's not known for inventing anything although he did dome awesome music. Plus he passed away in 2003.
But ya gotta admit Freddy Fender didn't invent anything either, and he died in '06.

Sorry Bama; couldn't resist. :mrgreen:

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Its all good, bro.

Here's something strange. There was an FJ about Johnny Cash a few years ago concerning the NY times headline over his obituary. I was searching for it in the archive, I couldn't find it, but came across a Cash clue in this game.

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3072

So then I decide to watch the game referenced in the unarchived games thread from 1/29/87. They had nearly the exact same clue in the first round of that game.
Frank Hardy

Post by Frank Hardy »

With six wins & $116,800, Joel moves into second place in the 2011-13 ToC standings. :o
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

ihsh wrote:And I felt that Margaret Atwood was overvalued at $2000.
Atwood's Canadian. Anything Canadian will be an automatic (usually hilarious) stand-and-stare, they probably have just resigned themselves to giving CanCon clues as high a dollar value as they can ...
TenPoundHammer wrote:And once again: how the HELL do you keep all those kings straight? I try and try, and they all just blend together.
Well, if catchy tunes that I've posted here before that list all the rulers since the Conquest don't help, nothing can. (Although it wouldn't have helped with the Harold (II) clue, though.)
ACW wrote:There is no THE in "American Dad" :oops:
I think his response was saying who Stan Smith is (the American Dad [in the title]), not the name of the show, as his pronoun was "who [is the American Dad]", not "what [is American Dad]"
Johnblue wrote:The Johnny Cash answer puzzled me since he's not known for inventing anything although he did dome awesome music. Plus he passed away in 2003.
I thin it was a case of "something to have written down", as she didn't know the answer, and the Man in Black was on her mind from earlier in the game.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Did Sacajawea tonight eliminate her from one of the possible unrevealed names in Native American By Tribes from last Tuesday? Chief Joseph's odds just went up.

Alex's add-on to the Uranus clue was good for a chuckle. Alex's prior Cash mention on Sara's FJ miss was a little unusual also. Was this really a first taping of the day game? It seemed more like a Thursday one.

What was the second part of the FJ clue? Don't ask me as I was done after "age 94." Joel seemed to have no problem with it as well as he even had time for the "was."

Applause to the writers for using Suburgatory. There was some very sly, fine comic work done on that show's first season.
Wimple
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by Wimple »

Got FJ! From an episode of Pawn Stars.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Bamaman wrote:Its all good, bro.

Here's something strange. There was an FJ about Johnny Cash a few years ago concerning the NY times headline over his obituary. I was searching for it in the archive, I couldn't find it...
Were you thinking of this one? It's People, not the New York TImes, but I think that might be it.

-3M
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Yes, that was the one I was thinking of. Thank you.
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

Ouch. I made it about 30 seconds into that "tune" before my ears started bleeding. I guess I'll never know the English kings. :)

I got the FJ, though it took a little time. I started with the approach of "what rock n' roll guy invented something", and was getting nowhere. So, I thought, "Who invented something that influenced rock "music"?" Then, it was a snap. Dude invented the solid-body electric guitar (for which I can never forgive him) and LOTS of things involving the sound-recording process.
Andromus

Post by Andromus »

I came up with Les Paul...just after Fender (my first guess) was revealed as being incorrect. Sigh.
billy pilgrim

Post by billy pilgrim »

I bought the cd "Les Paul and Friends- American Made World Played' which came out around 2005. It was sort of celebrating his 90th birthday. The "Friends' included Jeff Beck, Kieth Richardfs, Peter Frampton, Steve Miller,Billy Gibbons, BuddY Guy, Joe Perry, Edgar Winter, Eric Clapton, Neal Schon, Rick Derringer, Will Lee etc. Excellent CD. Oh and yes i got FJ.
She caught the Katy and left me a mule to ride.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

dhkendall wrote:Well, if catchy tunes that I've posted here before that list all the rulers since the Conquest don't help, nothing can. (Although it wouldn't have helped with the Harold (II) clue, though.)
Then there's http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuRECu-ZV2g, which is the same tune, but with a bit more historical info shown.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Okay, let's see if I remember anything from that song.

Victoria's Secret... Oh Henry candy bar... Ed, Edd n Eddy... Jim Thornton... Mauritania... Inspector Gill...

Nope.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

econgator wrote:
dhkendall wrote:Well, if catchy tunes that I've posted here before that list all the rulers since the Conquest don't help, nothing can. (Although it wouldn't have helped with the Harold (II) clue, though.)
Then there's http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuRECu-ZV2g, which is the same tune, but with a bit more historical info shown.
?? Sounds the same to me ...
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012