Monday, May 28, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Wimple
Jeopardy! Fan

Re: Monday, May 28, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Wimple »

Les Paul is being featured on the local (LA) news tonight. I guess his guitar collection is being auctioned off or something.
jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

i knew "ordinate" would be a triple-stumper—definitely undervalued at $800. (i was expecting "abscissa" when i got the $2000 DD in "A" in math.) but when they didn't go in for "quadratic" at $2000, i laughed. that category was just a mess.

but yeah, this was Another Joel Game (TM). played well, not great, and single-got FJ. congrats to him.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I will embarrassingly admit that I wasn't thinking "quadratic" but said "parabola" instead. Judges?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

alietr wrote:I will embarrassingly admit that I wasn't thinking "quadratic" but said "parabola" instead. Judges?
No. A parabola is y=ax2+bx+c and y cannot be made equal 0.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

econgator wrote:
alietr wrote:I will embarrassingly admit that I wasn't thinking "quadratic" but said "parabola" instead. Judges?
Sure it can! If x^2 = y, and x=0,then y = 0. A parabolic function is just the quadratic without constraining it to one (or two) solution(s).

The clue explicitly set y to 0, though, and that's the quadratic. Can't make a parabola with (at most) two points.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

Volante wrote:
econgator wrote:
Sure it can! If x^2 = y, and x=0,then y = 0. A parabolic function is just the quadratic without constraining it to one (or two) solution(s).

The clue explicitly set y to 0, though, and that's the quadratic. Can't make a parabola with (at most) two points.
This thread is bordering on unreal.
OCSam
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Volante wrote:Sure it can! If x^2 = y, and x=0,then y = 0. A parabolic function is just the quadratic without constraining it to one (or two) solution(s).
But if x=0, then it's just a linear function, no?
Volante

Post by Volante »

econgator wrote:
Volante wrote:Sure it can! If x^2 = y, and x=0,then y = 0. A parabolic function is just the quadratic without constraining it to one (or two) solution(s).
No, because where x = 2 or -2, y = 4.
(I tried putting a link to wolfram alpha here, but it's a finicky little twerp... )

A linear function I guess would be y = mx+b?
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

If I were a judge, I would allow it (close enough for Jeopardy mathematics/science standards). In a major brain malfunction I said quadrilateral.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Volante wrote:
econgator wrote:
(I tried putting a link to wolfram alpha here, but it's a finicky little twerp... )

But if x= +/- 2, then it doesn't equal 0, like I said it did. ;)

If x=0, then y=bx+c, which is linear.
TreehugginCowgirl
Best Self-Destruct Button

Post by TreehugginCowgirl »

I loved the Double Jeopardy board today. And since Alex corrects everyone on their pronunciation. At least where I come from, Alex, it's pronounced BOW-lynn, not BOW-line :P
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

econgator wrote:
Volante wrote:
econgator wrote:

???? If x=0, you're evaluating the function at x=0 and what you've got is no longer a function. A quadratic at x=0 evaluates to y=c where c is the y-intercept (duh!). A parabola is a particular subset of quadratic equation where b=0 (i.e., y=ax^2 + c). As the clue explicitly laid out the equation as ax^2 + bx + c = 0, parabola would not be a correct answer.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

econgator wrote:
Volante wrote:
econgator wrote: But if x=0, then it's just a linear function, no?

y = ax^2 + bx + c (for nonzero values of a) is a parabola. x = 0 is just one point on that parabola (x being a variable means that we look at more than one value of it). You might as well be saying that if x = 2, then y = bx + c + 4a, which, with c and a as constants, is linear. Once you have a value for x, you follow it through until you have a value for y. If x = 0, y = c, and you've got an ordered pair, a point on the graph where the equation is true, not a line.

In short, no.
Volante

Post by Volante »

Woof wrote:
econgator wrote:
Volante wrote: No, because where x = 2 or -2, y = 4.

???? If x=0, you're evaluating the function at x=0 and what you've got is no longer a function. A quadratic at x=0 evaluates to y=c where c is the y-intercept (duh!). A parabola is a particular subset of quadratic equation where b=0 (i.e., y=ax^2 + c). As the clue explicitly laid out the equation as ax^2 + bx + c = 0, parabola would not be a correct answer.
ax^2 + bx + c = 0 where a != 0 and b != 0 is also a parabola, it just moves the vertex off the y-axis.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Volante wrote: ax^2 + bx + c = 0 where a != 0 and b != 0 is also a parabola, it just moves the vertex off the y-axis.
Yes, correct you are. b!=0 removes the symmetry about the y-axis.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

I just want to say that I am no good in algebra (came within one point on my grade 12 final algebra exam of failing it, and with it, high school), but just seeing this conversation going on makes me realize why I love this board so much (the sheer intellectual quality of the posts).

Carry on, fellow nerds. Carry on.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

dhkendall wrote:I just want to say that I am no good in algebra (came within one point on my grade 12 final algebra exam of failing it, and with it, high school), but just seeing this conversation going on makes me realize why I love this board so much (the sheer intellectual quality of the posts).

odd. i'm just fine in algebra, and i've had the exact opposite reaction—just shaking my head sadly at most of this and hoping it would stop. (seaborgium has got it right, unsurprisingly, but almost everything posted both before and after has been wrong.) since i haven't seen it summed up quite succinctly enough for people to get it, here is my one and only contribution:

y = ax^2+bx+c is an equation that expresses a relationship between two variables, x and y. you can plot it on a cartesian graph and (for nonzero a) you would get a parabola. it is a quadratic equation, because it expresses a quadratic relationship between y and x. but it is also true that this is the equation of a parabola. if the clue had asked about what kind of equation this is, "parabolic" would be acceptable.

ax^2+bx+c = 0 (the equation in the clue) is an equation with a single variable, x. you cannot plot it on a cartesian graph. you can solve it for x; there are 0, 1, or 2 real solutions, depending on the values of a, b, and c. this is a quadratic equation, but there is no parabola here. so "parabolic" cannot be a correct answer to the clue on the show.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

jpahk wrote:
dhkendall wrote:I just want to say that I am no good in algebra (came within one point on my grade 12 final algebra exam of failing it, and with it, high school), but just seeing this conversation going on makes me realize why I love this board so much (the sheer intellectual quality of the posts).

odd. i'm just fine in algebra, and i've had the exact opposite reaction—just shaking my head sadly at most of this and hoping it would stop. (seaborgium has got it right, unsurprisingly, but almost everything posted both before and after has been wrong.) since i haven't seen it summed up quite succinctly enough for people to get it, here is my one and only contribution:

y = ax^2+bx+c is an equation that expresses a relationship between two variables, x and y. you can plot it on a cartesian graph and (for nonzero a) you would get a parabola. it is a quadratic equation, because it expresses a quadratic relationship between y and x. but it is also true that this is the equation of a parabola. if the clue had asked about what kind of equation this is, "parabolic" would be acceptable.

ax^2+bx+c = 0 (the equation in the clue) is an equation with a single variable, x. you cannot plot it on a cartesian graph. you can solve it for x; there are 0, 1, or 2 real solutions, depending on the values of a, b, and c. this is a quadratic equation, but there is no parabola here. so "parabolic" cannot be a correct answer to the clue on the show.
But you, see, Joon, that's why I love the thread. It's the simple fact that people are debating algebraic equations. You ain't gonna see that on Free Republic or reddit.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

jpahk wrote:this is a quadratic equation, but there is no parabola here. so "parabolic" cannot be a correct answer to the clue on the show.
Aw, crap, Joon. I preferred when I had a chance at being right.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

dhkendall wrote:But you, see, Joon, that's why I love the thread. It's the simple fact that people are debating algebraic equations. You ain't gonna see that on Free Republic or reddit.
Over there, it only looks like that's what's going on. (No! U=r 2b a loosr!)