Monday, May 28, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Re: Monday, May 28, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by DBear »

The Algebra category was easy money. Instagot FJ, but knew Sara would have problems as soon as I saw it. I can't believe people still take Margaret Atwood seriously. Right up there with The Eye of Argon AFAIC.
Sage on the Hudson
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Sitting on a pair of gas giants

Post by Sage on the Hudson »

Budphrey wrote:
Spoiler
"What is Uranus?"

"Yes, the planet."
I guess Alex felt obliged to clarify. :D
To distinguish it from the orifice.

ihsh wrote:I felt that Margaret Atwood was overvalued at $2000.
That depends on which hotel she and the girls are working tonight.

TenPoundHammer wrote:And once again: how the HELL do you keep all those kings straight?
By telling them that the British constitution demands that they provide an heir to the throne.

StevenH wrote:I didn't care for the Algebra category
Forty-four years ago I didn't care for Algebra. Period.

Bamaman wrote:I told you I didn't know music!!!!
You can know everything about Rock & Roll and still know nothing about music.

Bamaman wrote:Here's something strange. There was an FJ about Johnny Cash a few years ago concerning the NY times headline over his obituary. I was searching for it in the archive, I couldn't find it, but came across a Cash clue in this game.
Maybe the clue can be recycled and used in an episode of Cash Cab.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: Sitting on a pair of gas giants

Post by seaborgium »

Sage on the Hudson wrote:
Budphrey wrote:
Spoiler
"What is Uranus?"

"Yes, the planet."
[img-thatsthejoke.gif]
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Re: Sitting on a pair of gas giants

Post by Vanya »

seaborgium wrote:
Sage on the Hudson wrote:
Budphrey wrote:
Spoiler
"What is Uranus?"

"Yes, the planet."
[img-thatsthejoke.gif]
TRD is in his second childhood.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

dhkendall wrote:
econgator wrote:
dhkendall wrote:Well, if catchy tunes that I've posted here before that list all the rulers since the Conquest don't help, nothing can. (Although it wouldn't have helped with the Harold (II) clue, though.)
Then there's http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuRECu-ZV2g, which is the same tune, but with a bit more historical info shown.
?? Sounds the same to me ...

As I said, it is the same tune. It's the video that's different.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

econgator wrote:
xxaaaxx wrote:What was Sara trying to accomplish with that wager?!
You saw it ... she was trying to accomplish a nice, round number when she missed FJ.

Like you, I missed FJ. Never would have thought of him.
Yes, apparently (and sadly) that was Sara's "wagering strategy." Really? Seriously? Going into FJ with the lead and failing to cover a doubling bet from second? Just amazing. And not in any good way.

I was surprised to get this FJ, although Les Paul was the first and only name that registered in my memory banks, except...Fender, which I thought was not at all a bad miss by the new guy.

I ended up with $8,000 in Lach Trash, although I'm not terribly surprised by some of the TSs. Exception: quadratic equation, Aesop.

Joel just keeps winning and moving up the list. Nicely done, champ!
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

John Boy wrote: I was surprised to get this FJ, although Les Paul was the first and only name that registered in my memory banks, except...Fender, which I thought was not at all a bad miss by the new guy.
Came down to Les Paul and Fender for me, and thankfully I vaguely remembered Les Paul dying recently.

Incidentally, both are in the Rock & Roll HOF. Both have a Grammy (Fender's is a 2009, 18 years posthumous, technical).
Only Paul is in the Inventor's HOF, but... really? If that's how you told the two apart, bloody good show! (Although if you knew Fender had a Grammy, good show too as they don't air the technicals.)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Volante wrote:
John Boy wrote: I was surprised to get this FJ, although Les Paul was the first and only name that registered in my memory banks, except...Fender, which I thought was not at all a bad miss by the new guy.
Came down to Les Paul and Fender for me, and thankfully I vaguely remembered Les Paul dying recently.

Incidentally, both are in the Rock & Roll HOF. Both have a Grammy (Fender's is a 2009, 18 years posthumous, technical).
Only Paul is in the Inventor's HOF, but... really? If that's how you told the two apart, bloody good show! (Although if you knew Fender had a Grammy, good show too as they don't air the technicals.)
Actually, they don't both have a Grammy, they each have a Grammy. But knowing that Fender died well before 2009 (18 years before, as you state) is enough to distinguish the two.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

John Boy wrote: Exception: quadratic equation, Aesop.
I was surprised by those too.

My wagering strategy would have been to bet about $10,000 on the Kings DD, knowing that if I got it right I would (or probably would) have a lock game, but even if I missed it I'd still have something left. Since there were three high scores, the other two would (probably) bet high in FJ, so I'd still have a chance. Also, Kings was a good category for me, while the FJ category was of course unknown. In this case my strategy would have paid off, because I got the Kings clue right but missed FJ.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

bpmod wrote: Actually, they don't both have a Grammy, they each have a Grammy. But knowing that Fender died well before 2009 (18 years before, as you state) is enough to distinguish the two.

Brian
Each (one) has a Grammy.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Vanya wrote:
bpmod wrote: Actually, they don't both have a Grammy, they each have a Grammy. But knowing that Fender died well before 2009 (18 years before, as you state) is enough to distinguish the two.

Brian
Each (one) has a Grammy.
That's what he said ... isn't it?
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

econgator wrote:
Vanya wrote:Each (one) has a Grammy.
So, it's not just me...

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

Onairb

Post by Onairb »

bpmod wrote:
econgator wrote:
So, it's not just me...

Brian
Not just me, either.
Maybe, if they 'both' won a Grammy, it would mean they were collaborating on something...like, say, Hall and Oates might have 'both' won a Grammy as a duo, but they've never 'each' won one as solo performers?
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

bpmod wrote:
econgator wrote:
So, it's not just me...

Brian
They both have, or each has. They each have is just wrong.
Volante

Post by Volante »

bpmod wrote:
Volante wrote:

Actually, they don't both have a Grammy, they each have a Grammy. But knowing that Fender died well before 2009 (18 years before, as you state) is enough to distinguish the two.

Brian
...then shouldn't they each be in the Rock & Roll HOF?
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Vanya wrote:They both have, or each has. They each have is just wrong.
No. Grammatically speaking, 'they each have' is correct. 'Each has' is correct. 'They both have' is also correct. But the third statement, although grammatically correct, has a different meaning from the other two. That's why it was incorrect in that context. They both have Grammys. Each has one. Collectively they each have a Grammy.

(Actually, it is possible, although I haven't looked it up, that one or the other has more than one Grammy.)

Brian

TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

DBear wrote:The Eye of Argon
Hey, I actually know what that is!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Damn you each, econ and dhkendall, now I have another way to waste time on the internet going through those history videos.

Loved the one about the kings and queens, the one with the lyrics posted was a big help. Loved the line where they all sang "George, George, George, George". I might like music more if more songs had lines like that.
billiej

Post by billiej »

Well, Ray Dolby is in the Inventor Hall of Fame. But, um, he's still alive. Oops! I actually considered Les Paul, but for some reason I didn't think he was that old when he died.

HTH were "Levi" and "Ring of Fire" (speaking of Johnny Cash) TSs?
Volante

Post by Volante »

billiej wrote:Well, Ray Dolby is in the Inventor Hall of Fame. But, um, he's still alive. Oops! I actually considered Les Paul, but for some reason I didn't think he was that old when he died.

HTH were "Levi" and "Ring of Fire" (speaking of Johnny Cash) TSs?
I was still deciding between Richard and Johann (Strauss) when Levi got revealed. (And Morton and Stubbs were non-starters.)

Ring of Fire probably got missed because they forgot the category. I know I forgot the category for that particular clue. ('Circum-Pacific Belt'? Mr. Cash?...)