Monday, May 28, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Sherm
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, May 28, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Sherm »

I'm an engineer, and I could care less about a quadratic equation, though after 4 years of college I can identify one. On here, you can get in a dicussion on anything. I'm still agast that someone thinks Billy Joel sucks.

Blasphemy, I say.
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

Sherm wrote: I'm still aghast that someone thinks Billy Joel sucks.

Blasphemy, I say.
That may be the ONLY thing Vanya and I agree on.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

bomtr wrote:
Sherm wrote: I'm still aghast that someone thinks Billy Joel sucks.

Blasphemy, I say.
That may be the ONLY thing Vanya and I agree on.
Don't forget TRD, who hates any music written after 1650.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Billy Joel is one of the first celebs I met so even though most if his music bores me, I still like the guy. A Matter of Trust is one of his better songs.
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

Johnblue wrote:Billy Joel is one of the first celebs I met so even though most if his music bores me, I still like the guy. A Matter of Trust is one of his better songs.
I grew up listening to Billy Joel through the late 70's. He was easily my favorite for a lot of years, and back in the 80's he would put on one of the best live shows out there. His piano skills are exceptional, he could have easily been a classical pianist. "Summer Highland Falls" is still one of my all time favorites.

At the same time to each his own. I don't like his music now as much as I did 35 years ago, and I can see why anyone can love or hate the same musician. It's just a matter of taste, and those who would hate on Billy Joel have none. :D
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Sherm wrote:
Johnblue wrote:Billy Joel is one of the first celebs I met so even though most if his music bores me, I still like the guy. A Matter of Trust is one of his better songs.
I grew up listening to Billy Joel through the late 70's. He was easily my favorite for a lot of years, and back in the 80's he would put on one of the best live shows out there. His piano skills are exceptional, he could have easily been a classical pianist. "Summer Highland Falls" is still one of my all time favorites.

At the same time to each his own. I don't like his music now as much as I did 35 years ago, and I can see why anyone can love or hate the same musician. It's just a matter of taste, and those who would hate on Billy Joel have none. :D
Some people have a lot of taste...

in their mouths.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

Sherm wrote:
His two new studio albums since 1993 were classical pieces.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

legendneverdies wrote:
Sherm wrote:
His two new studio albums since 1993 were classical pieces.
I don't know of any studio albums he's recorded/released since 1993. I know of Richard Joo's recording of Billy Joel's composition Fantasies And Delusions, as well as another recording of same by somebody else. But those aren't Billy Joel albums in any sense of the word.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Vanya wrote:Don't forget TRD, who hates any music written after 1650.
This just validates my theory that people think all music after their senior year of high school is garbage. :D
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

dhkendall wrote:
This just validates my theory that people think all music after their senior year of high school is garbage. :D

So TRD = Connor MacLeod

Should be careful with this one. I can handle someone saying bad stuff about Billy Joel, but if they do the same with "Highlander". Thems fightin words. ;)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

dhkendall wrote:
Just the opposite for me. From about 2000-2003, there were lots of country songs I hated for no real reason (e.g. "I'm Already There" by Lonestar).

I wonder if it's because, since then, I've been exposed to a lot of worse music (e.g. "Tonight Tonight", "Party Rock Anthem", "Dynamite", nearly any other stupid club anthem released in the past year and a half) that makes even the worst of my favorite genre seem masterful in comparison.

Except "The Way You Love Me" by Faith Hill. That one still sucks due to its opening lyric alone:

"If I could grant you one wish / I wish you could see the way you kiss..."

So she'll grant him a wish, but she gets to pick it. Yeah, that makes sense... Not.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Sherm wrote:
dhkendall wrote:

So TRD = Connor MacLeod

Should be careful with this one. I can handle someone saying bad stuff about Billy Joel, but if they do the same with "Highlander". Thems fightin words. ;)
There's a "suck it" joke in there somewhere.
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

Sherm wrote:
dhkendall wrote:

So TRD = Connor MacLeod

"When I first met Ramirez, here's what he said:
'You're an Immortal, you'll never be dead,
Unless you let someone else cut off your head --
Nobody quite knows why.'

"But then he met The Kurgan, who just couldn't wait
To separate him from his Spanish pate,
So I must be the one to decapitate
The Kurgan to take The Prize --
Darlin', only good don't die!"
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

TenPoundHammer wrote:... country songs I hated for no real reason (e.g. "I'm Already There" by Lonestar).
No. There's a very good reason. That song's lyrics seem, to me, to be saying, "I don't care if you are longing for my presence. I'm with you in spirit, so your feelings don't matter".
TenPoundHammer wrote:Except "The Way You Love Me" by Faith Hill. That one still sucks due to its opening lyric alone:

"If I could grant you one wish / I wish you could see the way you kiss..."

So she'll grant him a wish, but she gets to pick it. Yeah, that makes sense... Not.
Completely agreed. It is amazing how many people believe that the lyrics mean something else entirely.
Rex Kramer wrote:"When I first met Ramirez, here's what he said:
'You're an Immortal, you'll never be dead,
Unless you let someone else cut off your head --
Nobody quite knows why.'

"But then he met The Kurgan, who just couldn't wait
To separate him from his Spanish pate,
So I must be the one to decapitate
The Kurgan to take The Prize --
Darlin', only good don't die!"
My goodness. I couldn't look at those words without a certain melody running through my head.

Brian

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I like Billy Joel.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

bpmod wrote: Some people have a lot of taste...

in their mouths.

Brian
What does this even mean?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

bpmod wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:... country songs I hated for no real reason (e.g. "I'm Already There" by Lonestar).
No. There's a very good reason. That song's lyrics seem, to me, to be saying, "I don't care if you are longing for my presence. I'm with you in spirit, so your feelings don't matter".
I don't interpret it that way, myself. That said, I don't LOVE the song, but I no longer have the vitriolic hatred I used to have for it.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Vanya wrote:
bpmod wrote: Some people have a lot of taste...

in their mouths.

Brian
What does this even mean?
Which part?

Some?

people?

have?

I don't see a word in there that I could imagine you not knowing the meaning of.

I am sure you could look up whatever word it is that's confusing you.

Brian