Tuesday, May 29, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Re: Tuesday, May 29, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Magna »

Paucle wrote:
Magna wrote:Oddly, the clue said they were available for $250 - but in the game, it costs no money to buy one.
Did WoF stop charging for vowels? (Besides, if you "buy" anything, doesn't some money become involved?)
Sorry - I think I'm wrong about this.
legendneverdies
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by legendneverdies »

Vowels still cost $250 on WHeel(they cost $200, later lowered to $100, on the Bob Goen daytime run from 1989-91). Vowels can be gotten for free when a player lands on Free PLay, which replaced the Free SPin disc about three years ago. A lot of people landing on Free PLay do pick vowels.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Bamaman wrote:I joined the three players on the train to nowhere. I was half asleep watching the show and couldn't place any of the cities.
I'm like this every night. Probably explains why my batting average has dropped in the past couple years.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

legendneverdies wrote:Vowels still cost $250 on WHeel(they cost $200, later lowered to $100, on the Bob Goen daytime run from 1989-91). Vowels can be gotten for free when a player lands on Free PLay, which replaced the Free SPin disc about three years ago. A lot of people landing on Free PLay do pick vowels.
Of course, on a Free Play, a vowel costs more because the alternative is taking a consonant, where you get 'paid' $500 for each one in the puzzle. So, even if there is only one, it is worth the value of two vowels. So picking a vowel actually 'costs' you (in terms of potential winnings) more on a Free Play.

Also, consider this: It is your turn, you have $1000. There are no consonants left, but there are still vowels. How much does it cost you to buy (4 of) those vowels and thereby solve the puzzle?

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

bpmod wrote:Also, consider this: It is your turn, you have $1000. There are no consonants left, but there are still vowels. How much does it cost you to buy (4 of) those vowels and thereby solve the puzzle?
In this case, it would cost nothing, since the rules now guarantee a player at least $1000 for solving the puzzle. You might as well buy as many vowels as you need to solve it.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

Surprisingly, I ran the Comic Books category, with the strange exception of the $800 clue, when I responded "Who is Jimmy Owen?" :roll:
legendneverdies

Magna wrote:Surprisingly, I ran the Comic Books category, with the strange exception of the $800 clue, when I responded "Who is Jimmy Owen?" :roll:
Jimmy Owen is the screenname of an Invisioner.
legendneverdies

And VFW shows up one day after Memorial Day celebrated, but one day before Traditional Memorial Day
iowabelle
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by iowabelle »

Austin Powers wrote:BTW, is it just me, or does "shows no one watches" seem to be a recurring theme in the questions this year? Perhaps it is just the proliferation of cable alternatives, but it seems like "shows no one watches" has become as much a part of the show's repertoire as Shakespeare.
I hate that when they ask about cable shows. I don't have cable so I wouldn't have a clue about that kind of stuff. I don't think I've ever seen a Sopranos episode and I've seen very little of Sex and the City, so my knowledge even of ended cable shows is pretty much nil. In fact, I think it's unfair that they ask those questions.
iowabelle
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Christies who don't weigh three-hundred pounds

Post by iowabelle »

Sage on the Hudson wrote:In short, no, though if Jeopardy! runs a clue that involves a film clip, odds are that it'll be from a Columbia film, since they're owned by Sony, who don't have to pay for their use (and maybe it'll also move a few DVD's off the shelves).
I wondered if I was the only one that had that idea. I figured it was their method of "product placement."

Otherwise, I couldn't figure out why they seem to be obsessed with so many bad movies.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

iowabelle wrote:
Austin Powers wrote:BTW, is it just me, or does "shows no one watches" seem to be a recurring theme in the questions this year? Perhaps it is just the proliferation of cable alternatives, but it seems like "shows no one watches" has become as much a part of the show's repertoire as Shakespeare.
I hate that when they ask about cable shows. I don't have cable so I wouldn't have a clue about that kind of stuff. I don't think I've ever seen a Sopranos episode and I've seen very little of Sex and the City, so my knowledge even of ended cable shows is pretty much nil. In fact, I think it's unfair that they ask those questions.
I don't think it's "unfair" - I mean how many people go to the opera? - but it's just a little strange that a lot of these shows are kinda trashy and we keep getting questions on them. Didn't we have a question on Unforgettable? Already cancelled. MasterChef, Up All Night, Franklin and Bash, Royal Pains, etc, etc, etc. Lot of mostly dreary stuff they want us to keep track of.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Austin Powers wrote: I don't think it's "unfair" - I mean how many people go to the opera? - but it's just a little strange that a lot of these shows are kinda trashy and we keep getting questions on them. Didn't we have a question on Unforgettable? Already cancelled. MasterChef, Up All Night, Franklin and Bash, Royal Pains, etc, etc, etc. Lot of mostly dreary stuff they want us to keep track of.
No more unfair than asking about Justin Bieber, Lady Gaga, or Billy Joel.

OTOH if they had boards based on Mad Men, The Killing, or Sons of Anarchy, I would be very happy.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I recorded the French Open the other day which knocked out all but the 2 latest Mad Men. I hope they do a marathon soon!
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Johnblue wrote:I recorded the French Open the other day which knocked out all but the 2 latest Mad Men. I hope they do a marathon soon!
Je ne comprends pas.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Tennis Channel. Great stuff. Maintenon!
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Johnblue wrote:Tennis Channel. Great stuff. Maintenon!
No. I mean I don't understand the "knocked out" part.

Brian

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

bpmod wrote:

Brian
I'm guessing his DVR was near full.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

On the other hand, good luck with finding questions of a similar level or frequency regarding recent music. You're lucky if someone with a Number One hit like Pit Bull, Wiz Khalifa, LMFAO or Flo Rida shows up on a non-Teen Tourney board. Flo Rida was an answer in Stupid Answers once.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

econgator wrote:
bpmod wrote:

Brian
I'm guessing his DVR was near full.
I'm still not following... Are you telling me that a DVR will delete one show to record another? What's the good of that?

Brian

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

bpmod wrote:I'm still not following... Are you telling me that a DVR will delete one show to record another? What's the good of that?

Brian
Most DVR's I know of use LIFO when they get full. You can set programs to be "undeletable" when you record them, but newer shows will almost always take precedence over older ones.