Tuesday, May 29, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Austin Powers
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, May 29, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Austin Powers »

Personally I got the FJ more because of the film (which has a stellar cast) than the book, which I've never so much as seen a copy of.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

My first instinct was Murder on the Orient Express, then I started thinking about Strangers on a Train, wondering if Hitchcock would ever be considered "mystery" like Christie, or if his writings are strictly classified as "suspense". I left the Orient Express on my paper, then as soon as time was up and Alex asked where those three cities were, it immediately occurred to me that I know Khartoum is in Sudan, which is in Africa, so what in the hell would the Orient Express be doing in Africa? Unfortunately, even after that, the only possible answer I could come up with was "The African Queen", and I wasn't sure if a boat would be called a steamer in the same way a train would, and had no idea if that was even a book and if so, whether it was a mystery, so I would have been out of luck even if I hadn't incorrectly placed 3 African cities in the Orient. Death on the Nile sounded reasonably familiar after I heard it, but I don't think I ever would have come up with it on my own.

I don't fault Joel too harshly on "napalm", as I did the same thing he did on that clue, hypothetically rang in knowing what word the clue was pointing to and assuming that nitroglycerin would come to me in time. Like him, I drew a blank, before pausing and giving it a few more seconds to finally come up with it. Obviously he didn't think napalm was right, he just threw something out there before time was up since nothing else was coming to him.
Last edited by jeff6286 on Wed May 30, 2012 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Well, I recognized that all of the cities were in Africa, and along the Nile. But the way I figured it, since the Orient Express ends in Istanbul, maybe that's what they were doing after they arrived there -- head to those cities by ship. Thus endeth my streak (which I had already chalked up as continuing). Joel sure looked surprised that he was wrong.
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

ihsh wrote:As a fan of Agatha Christie, I am ashamed that I could only come up with "Murder on the Nile."
I even read the book before... :(
Christie adapted the novel Death on the Nile into the play Murder on the Nile. It may have been a correct answer had the category not specified "novels".

My pre-calls were Orient Express and Death on the Nile, thinking back to the TD I ran with a Hercule Poirot question on it. These things are useful. :)
Cortana431
Valued Contributor

Post by Cortana431 »

I got Death on the Nile after a few seconds.... mostly due to realizing Luxor is in Egypt, which led me to Death on the Nile.

We'll see Joel again in the TOC, but I really don't think he is particularly strong enough to move past the first or second round in it.
Andromus

Post by Andromus »

goforthetie wrote:
ihsh wrote:As a fan of Agatha Christie, I am ashamed that I could only come up with "Murder on the Nile."
Christie adapted the novel Death on the Nile into the play Murder on the Nile. It may have been a correct answer had the category not specified "novels".
Ah, that's probably why I was wobbling for a bit between those titles,and why both intuitively seemed correct somehow. I ended up settling on the correct one, fortunately. Would have been an embarrassing miss as I consider the category the biggest of wheelhouses.
kristinsausville
2015 TOC'er

Post by kristinsausville »

Yeah, if the answer had been "Murder on the Nile," it would have been an instaget for me. Just as the music ran out, I said "Oh no, I think it's Death, not Murder!"
Follow me on Twitter: @ksausville
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

Got it of course :)
Agggron
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Agggron »

Surprisingly got FJ, though I've never read that book or even a synopsis of it. I just distinctly remember looking at the J! Archive a few months ago at all the questions that "Agatha Christie" was keyworded in (me never having heard of her at that time), and I guess seeing "Death on the Nile" over and over again stuck. :o I'm glad I was bored that day, lol. xD
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Cable Dramas was 3/5 for me with Spartacus and Attorneys for Franklin & Bash the two I didn't score. Boss was a little slow for me, but I enjoyed Grammer's Golden Globe winning role in the show. Homeland is one I've never seen, but a co-worker raved about it weekly although not well enough to make me want to subscribe to Showtime. Hell on Wheels was one I almost passed on, but AMC (so many other great shows) airing it made me give it a chance. Anson Mount was unknown to me, but his star power carries the show. Colm Meaney chews the scenery like no one's business and rapper/actor Common is quite the find with a meaty role.

The shackle miss/rebound seemed to affect Joel for the second segment as his score stayed the same for the next 11 clues. Joel's game was what I thought could happen to him in game five. Instead it took two more games for his play to catch up to him.

In the TOC I can see him finding his best game yet there to finally put it all together. We'll see. He has plenty of time to work on Updike works and common abbreviations like CIO.

Classic Mystery Novels was ripe for a precall. I picked my first instinct and wrote "Murder on the Orient Express." When the clue was revealed I laughed and switched to the correct response after reading Luxor. The clue going 0/3 with the same incorrect guesses surprised me. We'll see if we can get our weekly poll results over 40% for that one.

Richard's clue selection strategy (if it even was that?) had me wondering what he was doing. He won the second segment 7-1, scored 22 clues correct and had 10 right in the DJ round. Those are decent enough numbers to have a shot at a repeat.
Leaper
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Leaper »

As a classic/Golden Age mystery novel fan, this FJ was my wheelhouse of wheelhouses (I still remember the time they had an entire DJ category on Sherlock Holmes, and never got to the $2000 clue; I still wonder what it would've been - Lestrade? Moriarty? Mrs. Hudson?). I would've been tempted to pull a potential Cliff Clavin even in a lock situation (especially given that, on a general knowledge show like this, they would obviously not go too obscure, which makes it basic knowledge for someone with my reading preferences). :) At the very least, I would've at least made the kind of "Liederkranz" bet that sadly didn't work out in that case.

As it was, I predicted that, for me, it would be the instaget of instagets, and was completely correct. Hell, I was a little disappointed they went with the obvious Christie and not, say, John Dickson Carr or Ellery Queen (though I am glad they deliberately avoided the one Christie novel practically everyone knows - I'm sure the intent WAS to trap those people, and they did so successfully, apparently).

I was a little surprised at the "less than a minute" in DJ; the round didn't feel like it went on THAT long.

(PS: Thinking about something I and others have said in this thread: if I had to precall, I would've NOT said Murder on the Orient Express for the precise reason it would be the "expected" novel "everyone" would know.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

bpmod wrote:Is there not a signal of some sort (other than the lights which we can see at home, but I don't believe the contestant can see) that tells the contestant his time is up? Usually Alex will interrupt with "Oooh... too much time..." But it was, "OK are you going to come up with it? OK, you came up with it and you're correct, but let's ask the judges if you came up with it in time. Judges? No, you did not come up with it in time. Anybody else?"
I get the impression (and, again, if someone who has actually played on the Sony stage can confirm or deny, I'd gladly have you defer to them) that the red lights in the front of the podium that you can see at home are also visible to the player (though I don't know if a tall person like me would be able to see them) from the back, and that's their visual clue about time running out - same one we have.
xxaaaxx wrote:The Hulk is the Hulk because of radiation? The Flash's real name is Barry Allen? How on earth did I not know either of those things until today? Time to brush up on comic book facts.
Hand in your geek card. :)

For Final, like the contestants, I immediately thought MotOE as well, then figured "wait, I'm sure that takes place further east than Africa, after all it's Murder on the *Orient* Express, is it not? Those are all places along the Nile, I'm sure she wrote a book called "Death on the Nile" or something, but I'm not too familiar with what its name is, I don't want to go for a title that may be incorrect (in wording, not necessarily in fact) and leave a title that I know is correct (in wording, not necessarily in fact)." To put it another way "I know 'Murder on the Orient Express' is a real book title, I don't know if 'Death on the Nile' is or not." Once I saw MotOE negged, I figured I should have gone with my other choice, and knew instantly that it was correct.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

dhkendall wrote:
bpmod wrote:Is there not a signal of some sort (other than the lights which we can see at home, but I don't believe the contestant can see) that tells the contestant his time is up? Usually Alex will interrupt with "Oooh... too much time..." But it was, "OK are you going to come up with it? OK, you came up with it and you're correct, but let's ask the judges if you came up with it in time. Judges? No, you did not come up with it in time. Anybody else?"
I get the impression (and, again, if someone who has actually played on the Sony stage can confirm or deny, I'd gladly have you defer to them) that the red lights in the front of the podium that you can see at home are also visible to the player (though I don't know if a tall person like me would be able to see them) from the back, and that's their visual clue about time running out - same one we have.
And, is that explicitly spelled out in the instructions that are given to the contestants? It was clear to me that Joel was out of time. But Alex's expression and body language made it clear that he was still waiting for a response.

But, that being said, there is no way that it should have been asked of the judges if he got his response in in time, as that immediately told the other players that it was the correct response (otherwise the timing would have been moot and would not have needed a ruling). If they insisted on that, they should have treated it the same as when Alex spoils the answer. That is, by simply disallowing any further response(s).

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Magna wrote:Does Sony own a big interest in cable channels or production companies?
Not cable channels, but, yes, they are a big TV production company (of sitcoms and dramas in addition to game shows).
billy pilgrim

Post by billy pilgrim »

Regarding the 'shackle' clue- I thought there was something about if you had started to answer before time ran out you could finish after. He clearly said 'Uh what is ...." before time ran out. Then shackle at or near the buzzer.
She caught the Katy and left me a mule to ride.
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

dhkendall wrote: For Final, like the contestants, I immediately thought MotOE as well, then figured "wait, I'm sure that takes place further east than Africa, after all it's Murder on the *Orient* Express, is it not?
Actually, it doesn't. The Orient Express runs from Paris to Istanbul.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

goforthetie wrote:
dhkendall wrote: For Final, like the contestants, I immediately thought MotOE as well, then figured "wait, I'm sure that takes place further east than Africa, after all it's Murder on the *Orient* Express, is it not?
Actually, it doesn't. The Orient Express runs from Paris to Istanbul.
That's not the train that runs between Guadalquivir and old Seville, is it?

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

jeff6286 wrote:My first instinct was Murder on the Orient Express, then I started thinking about Strangers on a Train, wondering if Hitchcock would ever be considered "mystery" like Christie, or if his writings are strictly classified as "suspense".
Regardless, he did not write "Strangers on a Train", or any other novels. The novel that the film was based on was by Patricia Highsmith, who is also well known for "The Talented Mr. Ripley".
I'm smart and I want respect.
davey

Post by davey »

econgator wrote:
Austin Powers wrote:BTW, is it just me, or does "shows no one watches" seem to be a recurring theme in the questions this year? Perhaps it is just the proliferation of cable alternatives, but it seems like "shows no one watches" has become as much a part of the show's repertoire as Shakespeare.
Yeah. I got Spartacus and F&B, but the others were just blank stares.

It's probably more important that all these shows get written about - Homeland was one of the most acclaimed series of the year...
On the other hand, I doubt they would have used Death on the Nile if there wasn't a movie version. I know I would never have got it.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Lefty wrote:
notjeff6286 wrote:My first instinct was Murder on the Orient Express, then I started thinking about Strangers on a Train, wondering if Hitchcock would ever be considered "mystery" like Christie, or if his writings are strictly classified as "suspense".
Regardless, he did not write "Strangers on a Train", or any other novels. The novel that the film was based on was by Patricia Highsmith, who is also well known for "The Talented Mr. Ripley".
Oh yeah, I'm pretty sure that I know that Hitchock was a film director, not a writer of novels. I don't know who the bozo was that wrote that post.