Thursday, May 31, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

TenPoundHammer

Re: Thursday, May 31, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer »

econgator wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:By the by, that mustering/herding clue was NASTY neg bait.
It wasn't neg bait in the slightest. Even if you've never been in the military, 'herding' is clearly wrong.
I've heard of people being herded before, so it made sense to me.

Or is that just a term used by bronies? :D
MDCSWildcats86
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

Guessed EAstern on FJ. Needed the TV show prompr to get PanAm.
davey

Post by davey »

I wanted FJ to be People Express...But some vestigial memory of "Clipper" and the connection of 2 points in the Americas for the final flight led to PAN AM...
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

xxaaaxx wrote:How did Marco Polo, Etta James and Langston Hughes (when spotted poet and Harlem, no less) get past these guys? Trash collectors had a field day today.
I would have bet low on that DD (and then regretted it) as I was doing poorly in that category up to that point. I think Hughes is a lesser known poet. I would have said Marco Polo if I'd remembered the category (said Coronado).

FJ had to be Eastern or Pan Am, and I thought Eastern bit the dust long before 1991.
soxfan99

Post by soxfan99 »

dhkendall wrote:Judges: Is "Romanization" acceptable for "transliterating" in "Language Lab" $1600? (Seems to be even more specifically correct, given the "Roman alphabet" part of the clue).
I said the exact same thing as the champ, "Umm... what is writing??" I'd like to see the exact wording of the clue. It was awkwardly phrased, and I'm not sure that simply "writing" should've been rejected.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Twain seemed undervalued
With "humorist" and a 19th century date in the clue, there was no one else it could have been.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The writers don't have sense of fun. Beyonce/James worked out for a TS for the film Cadillac Records, but I would have followed up Kristen Stewart in The Runaways with Dakota Fanning or Scout Taylor-Compton in the same movie.

Fast Cars is the kind of category where I should be happy to get one and quit while I'm ahead, but no, I had to blurt out Cobra for the Viper.

For future J! players: "The Pilgrim's Progress" = John Bunyan and "A Rake's Progress" = William Hogarth. The mix-up gave me a chuckle tonight.

Scotti's Atari story probably won her a lot of rooting interest tonight, but it was game over when she responded with "The Bionic Man."

Sheep was scoreless for me as I could not pull merino. I needed a few letters like I usually get when I see the name in crossword puzzles.

The FJ clue had TWA on my paper first and then Pan Am. My Dawson Crossin' went the right way not because of 1991, Clipper, Miami or Barbados. Instead I felt the ABC show made that more relevant for a correct response. Caribbean Air for Richard? Somebody is not a faithful viewer of the show to think that was a possibility for the scope of potential correct responses in FJ.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

seaborgium wrote:
With "humorist" and a 19th century date in the clue, there was no one else it could have been.
Some later-century dates might let you sneak Will Rogers in there.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote:Sheep was scoreless for me as I could not pull merino.
Heh. I thought he was saying Marino. Obviously, I've never heard of the wool.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

econgator wrote:For the record, 3 of them no longer exist: Continental (now part of United), America West (now part of US Air), and TWA.
Technically, what happened with the second was that America West took over US Airways and changed its name to US Airways. (Trivia note: US Airways pilots use the old America West call sign on the radio, e.g., "Cactus 1263.")

The first might as well have been Continental taking over United and changing its name -- given that United has adopted the Continental paint scheme, computer system, and most of its policies -- but it actually was structured as a merger.
American will likely soon be the 4th.
I would not be too surprised if a US Airways-American merger or takeover, however that gets structured, ends up with American as the surviving name.

Or maybe they'll go back into US Airways' past and switch to "Allegheny" or "Mohawk" or, my favorite, "Piedmont."
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

trainman wrote:Or maybe they'll go back into US Airways' past and switch to "Allegheny" or "Mohawk" or, my favorite, "Piedmont."
US Air currently has a subsidiary using Piedmont, so that one is not as likely as the other choices.
HugoZ
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by HugoZ »

trainman wrote:Or maybe they'll go back into US Airways' past and switch to "Allegheny" or "Mohawk" or, my favorite, "Piedmont."
The Allegheny merger with Mohawk is the reason I hail from the Burgh, instead of Upstate NY. My dad was a Rome 'Hawker.

Didn't see it mentioned yet, another path to FJ for anyone who's seen "The Aviator". Howard Hughes (TWA) was trying to break Pan Am's hold on intercontinental travel, which it maintained with its Clipper Fleet.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

econgator wrote:I had Pan Am from the word Clipper.
Seconded. I wonder, were the names referenced in the Pan Am TV series? Only reason I could think they'd ask something that'd otherwise be pretty obscure for an FJ... (I've never seen the show)
jeff6286 wrote:Absolutely inexcusable FJ miss on my part, as I couldn't even come up with any possible answer in 30 seconds, leaving what is ? on my paper. Considering how many times I've seen Catch Me if You Can and the prominence of Pan Am in that film, I have no idea how I failed to think of it in time.
In your defense, I'm pretty certain 'Clipper' is never mentioned in the movie.
HugoZ wrote: Didn't see it mentioned yet, another path to FJ for anyone who's seen "The Aviator". Howard Hughes (TWA) was trying to break Pan Am's hold on intercontinental travel, which it maintained with its Clipper Fleet.
See my Catch Me If You Can remark...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
davey

Post by davey »

Vanya wrote:...I think Hughes is a lesser known poet....
A lot better known than Paul Laurence Dunbar, the poet that was Scotti's guess. And Hughes's lines -
What happens to a dream deferred?
Does it dry up
like a raisin in the sun?

are surely his most famous.
fowlerism
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by fowlerism »

dhkendall wrote:Judges: Is "Romanization" acceptable for "transliterating" in "Language Lab" $1600? (Seems to be even more specifically correct, given the "Roman alphabet" part of the clue).
Romanization is absolutely correct, despite sort of violating the unwritten rule about the word or substring (usually) not appearing in the clue. NPR had a cool story a few months ago about Zhou Youguang, the "Father of Pinyin," who is 106 years old and still kicking.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

econgator wrote:
seaborgium wrote:
Some later-century dates might let you sneak Will Rogers in there.
Well, sure, that's why I specified 19th century.
Onairb

Post by Onairb »

soxfan99 wrote:
I said the exact same thing as the champ, "Umm... what is writing??" I'd like to see the exact wording of the clue. It was awkwardly phrased, and I'm not sure that simply "writing" should've been rejected.
What did Alex call it, a 'very specific term?' At the risk of sounding like TPH, it's one of those hoity-toity terms that only someone with a background in that field would know, while everybody else calls it 'writing', and is mocked for being ignorant.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Your complaint sounds less like TPH and more like mbclev (the "nobody who works outside the Academy knows who Edith Head was" argument).

My problem is, I think of transliteration as a letter(s)-to-letter(s) process (such as Cyrillic to Roman), and written Mandarin has no letters. If you're writing words as they are spoken (which was the aim of pinyin), I call that transcription, not transliteration.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

trainman wrote:
econgator wrote:For the record, 3 of them no longer exist: Continental (now part of United), America West (now part of US Air), and TWA.
Technically, what happened with the second was that America West took over US Airways and changed its name to US Airways. (Trivia note: US Airways pilots use the old America West call sign on the radio, e.g., "Cactus 1263.")

The first might as well have been Continental taking over United and changing its name -- given that United has adopted the Continental paint scheme, computer system, and most of its policies -- but it actually was structured as a merger.
American will likely soon be the 4th.
I would not be too surprised if a US Airways-American merger or takeover, however that gets structured, ends up with American as the surviving name.
Impressive! Just to add, there have been a couple of fly-by-night airlines that have bought the Pan Am/Clipper name but they've ended in Chapter 11 also.

To whomever cited TWA, they ended in the late 90's. Remember, the infamous TWA800 flight off LI crashed in July 1996. Eastern did cease in 1991 & I haven't heard of any attempts to revive their callsign.

FJ was an instaget for me. I was pretty excited when I saw the category.
Last edited by trainman on Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Fixed quotes
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

davey wrote:
Vanya wrote:...I think Hughes is a lesser known poet....
A lot better known than Paul Laurence Dunbar, the poet that was Scotti's guess. And Hughes's lines -
What happens to a dream deferred?
Does it dry up
like a raisin in the sun?

are surely his most famous.
When I was on the High School Bowl team we had a rule: if the question is about a poet and we have no idea, just guess "Langston Hughes."